Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The creator makes, the player dictates
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 am 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
I been pondering on the perfect balance and how much a creator of a game shall dictate.

This whole pondering errupted from the League of Legends patch note video on Youtube that more or less said "We learned that the players are using this spell in a way we did not intend it to be used, so there for we are changing it so that it works the way we want it to work"

To me, this is the creatore dictating the use of the tool. They made it but also decide how it is supposed to be used. Instead of creating it, showing it and explaining it they do all this and then also dictate how someone can us it? I proclaim that poor development. Imagine a game, where you can release something without having a admin having to change it constantly just cause he do not like how people use it.

I have another example from Mass Effect 3's online mode. I carry on a melee class an alien tech sniper rifle. But the weapon is still valid to use in close quarter. I can use it in many diffrent ways but I pick to use it as a fast shoting distance closer and not so often a weapon for sniping on my melee based character class. This is to me, interesting mechanic where I can dictate how I use it. Instead of the former exampler of telling the community that they used it wrong and it need there for be changed.

If I was ever to make a game of my own. I would create the tool, give them to the player and watch how they will be used. I would of course carefully try to balance them but I believe it is not up to me to dictate how someone use something they bought.
If this is not cheating, abusive or some kind of law breaking I believe that a perfect balance in a game is when you can reach your goal with the presented tools, used by the player showing a sharp mind! Using the sniper rifle as a close quarter weapon or combinding combinations of skillsets no one thought about before.

Perfect gameplay is when you can use the given tools in any way you find them useful in and this without breaking the balance or not having a counter for this. The sniper rifle used in a melee class is closer to what I point on here then the whole comment of "Changing something cause of it being used the wrong way". To allow things to be used diffrent then they where meant to be, means that you will have changing patterns without having to change code. Players will dictate their own gameplay by show intelligence and innovative thinking. I am sure such things can in the end make people think diffrently in a situation. They will know that the things before them can be used diffrently. The potatoe can be boiled...but it can also be cut into smaller pieces and fried on a pan or used in a soup.

To give a tool to someone, what do we want them to see? Something just used for one thing that you have created the tool for from the start? Or someone seeing other visions of what can be done? Mayhaps it will work, mayhaps it won't! But it atleast make people experiment if you let them. Let them dictate how they play, not you as a creator. Who are you to tell me, not to use my sniper in close quarter? You given me the tool, I simply use it in a way I see fit for my way of playing, my sort of style.

Post subject: Re: The creator makes, the player dictates
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 am 
Patron

You can get away with gross imbalances in single player games. It's a bit harder when playing against other people. If the tools offered are supposed offer a balanced approach to combat and one tool is unintentionally "superior", you have a problem you need to address. You pretty much have two ways of doing that, increasing the utilitarian value of everything else (inflation) or gimping the Rod of Cheating :)

Not an enviable position for a developer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:51 am 

In a game online, you should try to make it equally as possible for everyone of course! But to dictate the game by proclaiming you do not like how people use a certain thing in the game is to me just poor developmers!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:40 pm 
Contributor

Title: Metal Head
Back when I played Day of Defeat in CAL, I was often a mobile sniper. I used it with no scope often. The developer took the crosshairs off. I simply changed from my pistol, aimed and quick swapped and shot with the sniper rifle. The developer then made the sniper class extremely inaccurate unscoped. It was later banned in tournament play.

I then started using a seargant class. The weapon was weak but accurate. I got a lot of headshots with it. It was then moved to a secondary weapon with less ammo, damage and accuracy. I stopped playing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:40 pm 

I would kind of proclaim that a problem, they wish you not to dictate how to play it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:46 pm 
Contributor

Title: Metal Head
They also removed my favorite aspect of the game: Bleding/Bandaging. Sometimes when a player would get shot, they would take small amount of damage over time and would leave a blood trail. A player could stop the bleeding by taking cover and pressing the 'bandage' button, which left you vulnerable for a while. A tactic I used was taking cover and using the in-game shout "Medic!" ... and the enemy player would think I was bandaging. One the enemy came in for a seemingly easy kill they were addressed with a face full of digital lead instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm 

Oh haha :D But well, to bad games these days all get more and more casual and mainstream cause well.....Well!.....people are stupid!