Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 3:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How the drones are killing the market
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:24 am 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Since of the entry of casual mainstream gamers to the gaming market we have seen a enormous amount of focus on more stupid games and idiotic games to be blatant, for mobile phones or facebook.

There is a lot of companies who make products that would been laughed at 10-20 years ago but that seemingly sells like water in a desert.

With games becoming more expensive, the tripple AAA titles cost like the big movies these days but a movie can be seen for maybe 10 bucks, a game costs much more. As a gamer since my seventh year of life, I look upon the future with great fear. A new collapse in gaming? I for one have no interest in more shallow games for the Iphone or Android platforms, nor for games on Facebook that is all about waiting or buying things to make yourself stronger or faster or whatelse they wish for you to buy. If its not that its crappy clones of old games like tetris or stacking things to get points...

The list of companies that died last year is enormous, check this list out http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/11/20-studios-we-lost-in-2012

If this continues, the market will in the end meet a new low. Where the biggest companies continue to grow and the other smaller companies continue to created crappy online browser games and mobile phone games, shallow nonsense that moms play while they wait in the line at the store play. Zynga is one of those filthy companies not doing much good for gaming. I think the first sign of this was back when Ritual Entertainment, the makers of Sin and Sin Episodes got bought by a company making these kinds of games. I cannot imagine a world where gaming ends up being either EA and Activisions mass released shallow Call of Duty and FIFA (insert year) titles and Zynga crap mass released all the time. Gimicky nonsense where I play with motionsensors or handhelds. I want gaming, I want a good story, I want a challenge now and then. Nor do I have big faith in Indie companies, they are indie for a reason! Either they lack the money, the skill or are too pretentious, making a butt ugly game but calling it art.

I have a grim future for gaming in my viewpoint where our games become more shallow and stupid to please the mainstream market. Like Hollywood movies which everyone know of but when you ask them about old classics they are baffled. Or books, where some know of Tolkien thanks to said Hollywood movies but everyone prefers modern nonsense like Twillight and the Hunger Stories and no one reads a book by Isaac Asimov! Or where classic music or heck, even music in the 70's, 80's are starting to sound like world wonders compared to the mass produced, autotuned music of this modern era. Where religion out of political correctness is getting a strong fundation to spread again. As we continue to develop ourself, our technological achievement is going further for each day, we become more shallow and stupid as we become more lazy and let machines do everything. This is what happens in gaming to. As more and more start to play games and there ends up more money in the market, when gaming suddenly becomes "accepted" by the masses we started to see the market growing more stupid and lacking of depth as everything heads in one direction, to sell to the fumbling, rumbling masses.

Do I sound egocentric? Or arrogant? Proclaiming this is my hobby and no one else should change it? Well we can look at soccer fans, I am a follower of soccer myself but not that hardcore like some. Soccer is a sport that you do not simply touch. Many have discussed adding cameras to the goals but the old school fans all proclaim "Oh that will change the nature of soccer, thats not soccer if you do this". And that seemingly is accepted by the majority. Seemingly when it comes to culture in the shape of books, games and movies. It is okay to butcher them and make them simpler for the wide masses. It is okay to send mass produced action movies, it is okay to neglect old classic books for books like Twillight and to release Zynga games and a new Madden/FIFA game every year instead of supporting companies who try to do something creative.

So, what do I wish to go with this messy, cluttery post? I do not know myself to be honest but I do proclaim that creativity dies for the artist when to much money gets involved, when to many want to be "hip" and do what the old "filthy nerds" did long ago. When the businessman suddenly notice what a lucrative market this old geek hobby can be. It is to bad technological/economical creativity and artistic creativity never gone hand in hand.

Post subject: Re: How the drones are killing the market
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:32 pm 
Editor

I really wish your English were just a wee bit stronger. We'd put you right up on the site with these, give you your own guest column in gaming. Either that or I could invest the energy in editing them. We shall see. Either way, I like these posts you've been making.

As for the points your making...

Games on mobile devices will always be simple stuff like Angry Birds, Pocket Planes, etc, and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I personally find it odd that people want to play more involved games on phones and tablets. If you want to play Black Ops II or Assassin's Creed or whatever, play it on your pc or console, with a large TV/monitor so you can actually see what you're doing. I don't begrudge the people making the simple cellphone or facebook games a cent. If I could do it, I would too. If the "idiot masses" want to buy them, good for the little developers selling those silly games. And you know what? Angry Birds is fun. If you play it for a few minutes on a break, or on the bus, or whatever, nothing wrong with that at all.

As for dumbing down games for mass market appeal... nothing new there. The masses are what they are, average at best. Whether it's gaming, TV, movies, books, etc, the masses will always flock to the simplistic. Critical acclaim and popularity rarely mix. We're all familiar with Planescape: Torment and Fallout. Perfect examples right there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:50 pm 

Title: wal-mart greeter
tl:dr;

but but but... wtf is wrong with games for phones? seriously man different platforms different devs. one does nothing to the other

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:16 pm 

It can kill the market, when a parent rather buy a 1 buck game over a 40 buck game. They dont care about content, time or moeny spent on a product.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:31 pm 

ok... one last time...

different platforms. period.

need it explained???

you can't put your xbox game disc into your cellphone. you can't buy a $1 game for a cell and pop it into your xbox.

different platforms.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:50 pm 

You dont get it yourself.

Cheap ass parents.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:34 pm 
Contributor

Title: Metal Head
You both don't get it. The real BIS is dead. Like punk rock.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 pm 

and that has what to do with some guy thinking that angry birds on a cellphone is killing the pc and console market???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:54 am 
Patron

I heard the local market was closed for a few days when a Taliban commander was killed by a drone...

As for dumbing down games, yes, it's happening. Not because people don't know how to make "intelligent" games, but since the plebs got access to devices capable of running games everywhere, anytime, attention spans have dropped faster than the share market in 2008. Since laws of economics dictates that investors wants as many $ back as possible for each invested $ (ROI, Return of Investment), they want as much profit in as short time as possible. Long term profits are irrelevant, because you want the return now so you can reinvest it ASAP (for even more return). The consequence is twofold. You either need a quick turn around or you need something that makes a bazillion dollars to justify your investment (i.e. return with interest and interests interest). You get large AAA games with Hollywood budgets (the latter) and you get games with short development cycles. Either simple games or games that are just slight incremental changes from previous titles like 'Alphabet 2013 Edition' and 'Qwerty XIV' (the former). The market mechanisms are the same as they were 10-20 years ago, it's just the parameters that have changed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am 

Gorth just slaughtered you arguement, Trailer Park Jesus.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:45 pm 

dude? seriously were you born stupid or did you just take too many hits to the head?

guy didn't slaughter my argument because i didn't have an argument in the first place. my posts were replying to your completely uninformed opinion and trying to explain to you in. simple. terms. that different platforms are different platforms. xbox competes with ps3 competes with wii. consoles DO NOT compete with games on friggin facebook and no kid is going to say "ooooh... I can get black ops 2 for my xbox or i can play angry birds on my cellphone... yeah man... angry birds for teh win cos i'm so cool and my friends can go play stupid black ops 2 or assassins creed 3 while i rock out with angry birds star wars!!!"

go read gorth's post again. educate yourself. he's talking about the economics of development. you're totally out to lunch thinking angry birds and tiny towers are killing pc and console games.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 am 

The thing is.

Making a tripple AAA game costs millions, Battlefield 3 is an example of where EA had a insane amount of games sold in their chart. They wanted to out do Call of Duty I presume but did not reach their goals. They also put down millions of dollar on PR for this game to reach said goal.

They would clearly, make the cheapest crappy game possible and sell it. Cheaper game makes for higher profit in % if millions buy it. Also if you release new versions, same engine, same mechanics, just new maps and some added things to this.

I am pretty sure there is a way for cheaper, more casual games to in the end, atleast make the games inbetween AAA titles and mainstream casual indie crap on a phone become less frequent.