[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - World of Warcraft

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: World of Warcraft
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:21 am 

Title:
Someone explain to me why people play this game still and why it got like 1/4 of the population of the Nordic region playing it all around the globe?

Post subject: Re: World of Warcraft
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:39 pm 

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:21 am 
Patron

Yeah, it was indeed a good fortune for Blizzard where everything conspired to make it a success financially. Once it took on critical mass, it became the de-facto standard in MMO's so to speak. It was the default option for people to go to when starting out in MMO's, because odds were, either your friends or family or friends friends would be playing.

Never tried it, but I'm a SWTOR regular (despite it being Star Wars, not because of it). Tried out the f2p option, liked it enough to become a subscriber and has been playing regularly since when I have a bit of spare time. Got two level 55 characters now :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:28 pm 

Title:
I still proclaim that Blizzard never ever make something innovative yet they are praised for polishing others creations.

When Valve took up the Icefrogs offer with Dota 2 Blizzard went butthurt and started to nag over copy rights about names they proclaimed belonged to their Wacraft franchise. Like Doom Bringer, Outworld Destroyer, Windrunner and Necrolyte who had to change their names. We better watch it if they trademark Winterwind or our forum names or real names or something.

Thanks for the big big posts and explanation Majesty!

I still hope WoW fails and dies. It stagnated the market and turned it into a pretty stale, grindy and boring genre.

I see a strange formula to

We want new WoW
Someone makes another game, the WoW killer.

People complain on lack of content (which WoW did not have either) And give it no chance.

We also have this

New MMO, not similar to WoW = This is not like WoW, I dont like it, I will go back to WoW (also added in to this is the "lack of content" whine)
New MMO, similar to WoW = This is like WoW, I dont like it, I will go back to WoW (also "lack of content" whine)

So well! I hope it dies and I hope Blizzard do dare try something new soon. Instead of taking old ideas like Everquest and turning it into something for the masses. We dont need more casual crap. TOR was WoW in space also.

Dont know if its true but I heard there is asians MMOs popular in Asia who make WoW look like a dwarf. Think this is true? Population wise I guess it could be but economy wise I say not so likely,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:00 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:50 pm 

Title:
I meant a real MMO game in asia. That dwarfs WoW.

In its genre.

Im pretty sure the CoD sales dwarf WoW to in the latest 5 years but still. Not same genre.

Also! Titan is a "failure"? :S

I presume you are a TOR Player by the way? Or are you just sarcastic when you say you wait for that space PvP? Smileys are confusing! :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:17 pm 

Title:
I hope it will be fun, I thought about testing it for the proclaimed good story and RP elements but havent been arsed to DL another MMO with this shitty 2mb/s :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:27 pm 

Title:
I play WoW still for one reason and one reason only. Raids!

Blizzard knows how to make damn good 10 man PvE content. While other MMO's have found their place in optimizing other parts of their game-- swtor has non nosebleed quests, guild wars has its pvp, but blizzard has chosen to focus on making interesting and challenging fights which require a fairly large group (10-25 players) of people who all know how to play their unique role well. It's among the most delightful team-play in gaming, with new content being released frequently enough to keep it interesting. While it is not unique to have fights with vastly differing mechanics and players with vastly differing roles, very few games take it as far as WoW where practically no [endgame] fights are as simple as hack and slash and where players of different classes have literally no idea how to do the others role.

Blizz has largely realized that grinding makes people sick, so they've backed off on that (the amount of time it takes to do anything these days is a fraction of what it took in previous expansions) but there's still a little bit of that and it frustrates me. What's nice is that they've never planned on releasing sequels, only expansions, so any rewards from shitloads of grinding are still there, although the value of many of those has diminished over time. Still, for me it seems like all the content up until raids should be as brief as conceivably possible because i friggen hate killing boars.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:25 am 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:11 pm 

Title:
World of Warcraft is a very different game in MoP than it was in Cata. I think that lots of people really didn't like cataclysm, myself included. The only raid of that era i really like was Blackwing Descent, which i thought had some really interesting fights.

Lots of current WoW players believe that the Throne of Thunder and Seige of Orgrimmar are the two best raids blizzard has ever put out, they both include a plethora of interesting fights.

I'm also a healer on my main, and i agree it is sort of a wackamole. The number values that healers can put out quickly can quickly dwarf actual health bars these days, but the damage [raidwide damage especially] has scaled as well so the name of the game is taking care of the damage as it comes in-- as a result most heal classes require you to leverage smart heals [which automatically target most injured players], heals over time, or absorbtions to be able to target who needs it faster than you ever could.

Usually to keep the heals interesting they use boss mechanics. One boss in MoP a few raids back had a day phase and night phase, where during the night phase the boss is a regular boss that everyone attacks and so on, but during the day phase the damage which the boss has taken and the health which the boss still has inverts and the healers have to heal him up while healing the rest of the raid as they protect the boss. On another boss in the current raid heals are automatically reduced to healing one hit point and the rest of the volume of the heal goes to putting a shield on the player which can be filled to absorb up to twice the players health-- but as a consequence there's three times as much damage going out as usual for both avoidable and unavoidable damage. I think that mixing it up like this is often what i like about healing, like Chimaeron was my favorite BwD boss besides maybe atramedes.

But yeah, I have heard from those who pilgrimaged to SwToR and back to WoW that healing is very very cool in SwToR. I've intended to try it as each of my friends were trying it but they all got to endgame and left so i still haven't really committed to any character for more than a few minutes in ToR. Also, blizzard has made my raiding-ass nothing but happy as they continue to try the new flexible style raids and such, so i'm highly unmotivated to change. I can understand how cataclysm would have driven you away. What cataclysm did have going for it was that pre-raid content was actually fun, dungeons were hard ect, but the raids were eh.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:19 am 
Patron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:55 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 am 
Patron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:02 pm 

Title:
I do like their new Heroes of the Storm, and I started to play some Hearthstone. Am I a fanboy? Nope, I think Diablo 3 is shit and Starcraft 2 makes me rage beyond anything else.