Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I need gaming suggestions...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:34 pm 
Editor

Alright gang. I need suggestions. I need a title or two I'll enjoy to pass the odd hour or two unwinding from work.

You should know my tastes. Crpgs (ala the old BIS titles) and the occasional RTS (like the old Age of Empires) series.

So... what's good? What will I like?

Post subject: Re: I need gaming suggestions...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:55 am 
Patron

Well, that's a tricky one, because the reason we keep playing those antique's is exactly that nothing better, or even same quality, has shown up in the decade since :(

Having high hopes for Pillars of Eternity (Obsidian) and Wasteland 2 (Brian Fargo's game), but neither is going to be released in immediate future (although W2 now has a beta out for backers, which includes me), so not much help there. I got Age of Empires 2 HD on a steam sale, but I'm struggling with the interface (doesn't scale well to very high screen resolutions, interface text being miniscule).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:43 pm 
Editor

Gorth wrote:
Well, that's a tricky one, because the reason we keep playing those antique's is exactly that nothing better, or even same quality, has shown up in the decade since :(

Quite true.

Quote:
Having high hopes for Pillars of Eternity (Obsidian) and Wasteland 2 (Brian Fargo's game), but neither is going to be released in immediate future (although W2 now has a beta out for backers, which includes me), so not much help there. I got Age of Empires 2 HD on a steam sale, but I'm struggling with the interface (doesn't scale well to very high screen resolutions, interface text being miniscule).

Thanks for letting me know. I took a look on GoG once for Age of Empires 2 but it never occurred to me to check Steam. And I see there's an expansion for it. Now if only they've fixed the difficulty. What always annoyed me was that turning it up didn't make your computer opponents smarter, just faster, moving through stockpiling resources and advancing ages absurdly fast.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 am 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
You could by the rereleased Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 with new content. But Im not sure you would find them worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:02 pm 

I wish I could help you, but gaming nowadays is a shadow of long lost, ancient glory.

The best advice I can give is get onto GOG.com and look at the RPG section and pick some of those old games you never played that are on the "people who bought Baldur's Gate also bought..." list and all.

If you can get over the clicky-actiony gameplay The Witcher offers excellent (Action-)RPG entertainment and it is pretty cheap nowadays. I enjoyed it immensely, but then I'm usually not bothered by weird control schemes.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:04 am 

What about Pillars of Eternity, Original Sin, Dead State, Wasteland 2, Age of Decadence?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:03 am 
Editor

Um... two years late but sure, welcome to the party.

As for gaming... bah! Mobile games suck! It's way too easy to spend money on them at the mere touch of a touchscreen. And they're not even that good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:54 pm 

Never to late to game mate. I posted new ideas ;)

Mobile games are all click shit games with no real control.