Guild Wars 2 (Warning: Image heavy)

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Gorth
Patron
Patron

Guild Wars 2 (Warning: Image heavy)

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:47 am

Since I play the game a lot and sometimes take in-game screenshots, I figured I might as well create a thread to share a few pictures and the accompanying descriptions.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: Guild Wars 2 (Warning: Image heavy)

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:00 am

I play a lot of alts. Did so in Swotor, doing so in GW2. These are not all, just a handful which I've reduced quite a but in size and photoshopped together

Humans sort of look like themselves, the giant cat is a Charr, the bluish/green girl is a Sylvari, the oversized humans are Norn's and the little cool guy is known as an Asura.

Little bit of backstory.

Humans used to be the dominant race, but after "The Six" (powerful beings, usually considered the "Human Gods") departed the world, things fell apart. There used to be 5 powerful human kingdoms, Ascalon, Elonia, Orr, Kryta and Elonia, but at the current time in the game, only Kryta still holds out.

Charr (think 3 meter tall, ferocious felines) used to be the dominant race before humans and their gods arrived and drove from the main continent. When humans fell to internal squabbling internally (the eponymous "guild wars"), the Charr solicitated aid from an unknown source and struck at the human kingdoms. Ascalon was burned to ashes and Orr was up next, when an Orrian Vizier used forbidden texts, which besides annihilating the Charr armies also caused the realm to be swallowed by the sea.

Norn are giant humanoids (about the same size as a Charr), who loves hunting, drinking, fighting and telling legends (when not busy creating new ones). They were driven south by the rise of an Elder Dragon and it's corrupting influence.

Asura are a race of hyper intelligent rats. Sort of turning the whole "lab rat" thing upside down, as these rats used to experiment on other races, convinced of their own superiority and manifest destiny of ruling the world. They used to live underground until the stirring of another Elder Dragon forced them up to the surface, where they are trying to rebuild and adapt to a new life.

Sylvari are living, breathing plants "born" of the Pale Tree. A giant, sentient tree that is. They are spawned from pods, where they spend some time inside the pods, sharing "The Dream". This gives them their education and knowledge of the world to a degree, but the Pale Tree encourages her children to travel, explore the world, learn as much as possible and then share their knowledge with the current dreamers. As a race, they are generally naive and curious. Notable exception are those who rejected the dream and joined "The Nightmare Court", which thrive on pain, cruelty and excess debauchery.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:05 am

A few images of Orr... when the Vizier unleashed the magic of the forbidden scrolls (assumed to be something the human gods left behind, never intended to be used by humans themselves) and sank and drowned the entire population. A century later, Zhaitan, the Elder Dragon of shadow and death used it's own, equally powerful magic to tear Orr from the bottom of the sea and raise it, as well as all the dead inhabitants which now forms the base of its undead army of "Risen".

It really looks like it came from the sea floor (hats off to the environment artists)...

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:08 am

The Desert kingdom of Elonia was once ruled by the primordial kings, dynasty after dynasty until a man, turned powerful Lich, release a devastating plague (the Scarab Plague) on the land and decimated the population.

His "Awakened" minions now control the provinces that was once Elonia. Still a land of some gorgeous scenery though.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 am

More desert areas... although this is all sulphur. Good thing there is no such thing as virtual reality smell!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:11 am

Just showing off my little engineer guy and the legendary shield that he is currently working on (it's what looks like an aquarium slung across his back)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:11 am

The Asura and Sylvari are "native" to the jungles though. Same little guy feeling very small in the big jungle

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:12 am

One of the Elder Dragons however is Mordremoth, the "Jungle Dragon". Not all plant life is friendly (here it has choked the villagers to death)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:16 am

While the main game is about uniting the races of the world to work together against the menace of The Elder Dragons (6 are supposed to exist at the start of the game), there is plenty of opportunities to tussle with their minions. Here a group of players are ganging up on a "world boss". You can sort of see the lower body part of it behind the mass of players. I'm somewhere in there too...

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:21 am

I think ArenaNet (the developer) hates people with vertigo. A recurring thing in the game is "diving goggles" found in various places. There is an achievement for successfully finding them all and taking the plunge. Btw, this is a very long way to the bottom and... you have to hit the opening of an amphora (like a giant vase) for it to count. Similar obstacles exists for diving goggles elsewhere once you reach higher levels (in one case, you are jumping from a floating cliff halfway into out space and have to hit a little disc at the bottom of a volcano)

As a funny gimmick, your toons strip down to their underwear when you put on the goggles, preparing for a dive.

Oh, in one instance, it's a trap. In place called Southsun Cove, you put on the goggle, do the jump.... and end up getting killed in lava. You do get an achievement called "The goggles, they do nothing!!!"

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:30 am

Damn, dude. Those are some striking images.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 am

Taimi (the little Asura girl) is sharing her plans with my thief character (Commander is the title you are given after the end of the base game, where the Marshal of The Pact appoints you Commander of the Pact, effectively second in command)...

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:51 am

Skritt.... one of my favourite npc races in the game. Some similarities to "Cranium Rats" in PS:T, in that they get smarter the more of them there are in a group. Individually, they are pathetic, not too bright and very cowardly. Most smaller groups would be naive and fight when cornered. When organised in large groups, they can have intellectual conversations and fight ferociously. They even have a taunt, "You ran from Skritt!" if you run away from a fight and hide from them :D

This place is "Dry Top", used to be a water feature until a conflict between two of The Six turned it into a desert. An old ship got stuck upside down in what is now an underground grotto and they have repurposed it as a new home, doing reconstruction work on it.

I just loved how they had added little smileys, a happy and a sad one to the board (on the far right hand side) :)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:57 am

Orr probably is my favourite place in the game though. I've sometimes spent hours just traveling around, doing the dynamically occurring events, boss fights and resource gathering, while admiring the scenery. Just so atmospheric.

A slightly different place in Orr, where there is an unusual golden light. It brought out my inner photographer and I played around a bit with camera angles and light/shadow effects to show my necromancer from her best side...

There are some speculations on the wiki, reddit and forum pages about the source of the golden light, because there is a group elsewhere who has gold, golden light etc. as their signature colour.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:07 am

Hmm... I could have sworn there used to be a video embedding tag. Ah well, nevermind. The theme music from the game. While you can hear bits and pieces of the piano parts playing at various locations throughout the game, it only plays in full length once you kill Zhaitan (i.e. finish the base game). Vocals start at around 50 seconds. I fell in love with the music and had to find it on youtube

https://youtu.be/MfU07aMziP0