What are you playing right now?

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:08 pm

Playing TES IV: Oblivion... On my snazzy new XBox 360! Oh what a wonderful little thing :D
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:59 pm

CatBoris wrote:Playing TES IV: Oblivion... On my snazzy new XBox 360! Oh what a wonderful little thing :D
The XBox or Oblivion? :?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:41 am

Hehe, both actually. I foresee nights of sleep depravation!

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:10 pm

i'm playing around with an EA shooter called 'Black' it's quite nice, especially in the use of missions with checkpoints, being busy for 1.5 hrs with a level in which you cant save, and if you die you lose like half an hour of playing, makes for an intense involvement in the game, good idea.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:52 pm

I hate save systems like that.. hate hate hate hate.

Utterly impractical, clearly gearing the game towards people who can play games for hours on end. If save checkpoints are very frequent, then it's not so bad. The Call Of Duty games use checkpoints, but they're frequent, so if you have set-back it's not so bad, and they always happen just before and just after particularly hard areas.
Losing an hour of playing though, that's just pathetic.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:46 pm

CoC is a good game, partly beause of the frequent save-points, but the "escape from innsmouth" bit is just too difficult. I got the game just a few scant days after the game was mreleased, and I've yet to complete that bit.

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:16 pm

The general consensus on the Call Of Cthulhu game is that it looks great but has wretched gameplay. The complaints are all largely the same, that there's so much try-fail-reload repeat ad infinitum that actually getting into the game is impossible. And combined with save points only, that constant retry formula is the true cause of madness, not eldritch horrors from the depths of time and space.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:24 pm

Hmm i'm lucky to only have to reload about twice in that 'Black' game as of yet, but i'm being careful in the game, might make the difference
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:32 am

I feel like crying. Well, no, not really, but I think the main storyline in TES IV was waaaay too short. Maybe some people don't mind finishing the game early, and then progressing to the "sandbox" mode, but I was just getting into the story when it ended, and I just haven't been able to find any of the sidequests as engrossing :( But then again, I've just started on the guild quests right now, so I'm hoping it will pick up again.

Oh well, at least I got the septim :)

Noober

Post by Noober » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:44 am

I've played all sorts of games lately, but none of them got me all that excited.

Titan Quest was allright, but not worth playing over and over. A brief experience to say the least.

Star Wars: Empire at War was pretty cool, but i got put off by the fact, that Darth Vader wasn't to be found, when i was about to start an Imperial mission in which he was required. Stopped playing there.

Tried playing through CivIV once more, this time as King Cantona of the French. Great fun, but i get slightly annoyed by the micromanagement issues in the later stages of the game. I never get used to letting the AI govern my cities...

Now i'm playing.... Baldur's Gate.

I've played this game through dozens of times, yet it never seems to bore me. This time through, i'm playing a chaotic neutral fighter. I intend to import the character to BGII when i finish.

Can anyone recommend any mods?
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:46 pm

For BG1, use the TuTu mod that converts BG1 to run on the BG2 engine. As for BG2, I haven't a clue what's good and what's not, there are so damned many of them. Jcompton lurks around here, perhaps he can suggest a few ;)

As for what's being played right now, NWN on-line as usual and.. I've fallen to the dark side I fear. I downloaded a ten-day trial for World Of Warcraft :shock:
Damn is it addictive.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:42 pm

At the moment I'm just waiting for the new expansion to Dawn of War. The Emperor commands me to purge the foul techno-sorcery of the Tau!

That, and I've started a new game in Oblivion, this time doing many of the subquests *before* completing the main story. I find the game to be much more enjoyable and challenging, now that I don't have to trudge through endless hordes of stunted scamps, but can proceed directly to dremora and clannfears. But I do miss my suit of glass armour :(

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:31 am

People who live in glass armour shouldn't throw stones?

Who the hell makes armour out of glass? It's armour CLASS Bethesda, not armour GLASS. Sheesh.

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:03 am

Phosphor wrote:As for what's being played right now, NWN on-line as usual and.. I've fallen to the dark side I fear. I downloaded a ten-day trial for World Of Warcraft :shock:
Damn is it addictive.
World of Warcraft is the dark side? I am planning to buy the 14-day trial version for 2 euro's, does that make me evil? I love the warcraft universe. I played Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 including the expansions. How can I not play WoW at some time? :roll:
Ruald,Cleric(STR&Plantdomain)Stats16,9,12,12,18,13MaxHp14CurHp5 MemSp lvl0 DtMag(0/2)RdMag(1/1)Light(1/1) lvl1 Bless(0/1)Doom(0/1)Sanct(0/1) Money 24g/4s/1c

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:36 pm

The MMORPG dark-side :p

It's actually a really fun game, and the game universe is very well-detailed and filled out. I'm currently trying to get the hang of the interface and gameplay, then I plan on moving over to an RP server.

Getting the hang of the interface is daunting. There are so many emotes and chat commands to remember, and setting things up for quick navigation is challenging. And all that's not to even mention the macros, which are beyond my current understanding, save that if I can figure them out, things should be a lot easier.

I've never played any of the Warcraft games, so the whole thing is new to me.