What are you playing right now?

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Noober

Post by Noober » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:33 am

I've just found out that Baldur's Gate is not compatible with the life i'm currently leading.

Its addictive nature appears ti be a hindrance to anything else i'm supposed to do.

Just started on Durlag's Tower.

Does anyone of you guys remember a tome of gainful excersize in the library on the first level of durlag's dungeon?

From the other times i've completed the game, i don't recall ever raising my strength to 20....

I installed a mod (BG1: Unfinished Business) and i'm guessing it has something to do with that.
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:22 am

Durlag's Tower...I don't remember... Sorry... I guess it's too long ago...

Me, myself and I have procured the trial version of World of Warcraft and indeed, it is very enjoyable. What was less enjoyable (and that's an understatement) was the trouble I had to go through to register my account. I took me, literally, without exaggerating, more than an hour to complete. And they had the nerve to call me slow, whereas their internet connection kept fading out! Grrr!!!
But I managed, although I was about to sent a complaint. It was worth it, luckily...
Ruald,Cleric(STR&Plantdomain)Stats16,9,12,12,18,13MaxHp14CurHp5 MemSp lvl0 DtMag(0/2)RdMag(1/1)Light(1/1) lvl1 Bless(0/1)Doom(0/1)Sanct(0/1) Money 24g/4s/1c

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:10 pm

It's been a long time since I last played BG, so I don't remember if that book was there at Durlag's or not.

That's odd that it took so long to register your WoW account Ruath. Took me like a minute or two.
My trial ends in a couple of days, I'll be picking up the full version as soon as I can. It's a heck of a lot of fun.
I do think I'll pass on the upcoming expansion pack though. Neither of the new races are of interest, and I figure by the time I have a 60th level character and want to move beyond that via the expansion, it'll be cheap to buy anyways.

So what kind of character are you playing?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:05 am

Meh, I had a half hour to spare this morning. I thought to log in. No go: maintenance :'(

I started with a nightelf huntress. A colleague at work told me how he always played female pc's because other players tend to be a bit more helpful and less aggressive. I am still learning to play though and I might start anew when I know enough of the controls.

Saolindala (that's her name as you may guess) has been hunting some juvenile quillboars and nightsabres. She died twice when she had a run-in with a mature nightsabre and once more when she walked into a village with furbolg which she had expected to be friendly but had attacked her at once. She has found some vendors now and is equipped for battle. She is level 3 now.

I didn't know how archery worked in the game, but I found out while seeing how a troll hunter looked like. That guy is a bit more succesfull, he hasn't died yet :D He is level 2

When I know what I am doing, I may start a Tauren warrior on a pvp server. See what he can do...
Ruald,Cleric(STR&Plantdomain)Stats16,9,12,12,18,13MaxHp14CurHp5 MemSp lvl0 DtMag(0/2)RdMag(1/1)Light(1/1) lvl1 Bless(0/1)Doom(0/1)Sanct(0/1) Money 24g/4s/1c

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:43 am

I like the Hunter class. I currently have a 15th level Dwarf Hunter with a pet boar. The class is quite varied, but it's pretty weak in melee. I learned Two-Handed Weapon skill so that's helped a bit. At level 40 they get the Mail skill so heavy armour can be worn.

But I'll be re-starting on a new server, I'd like to see what an RP server is like. I'll also stay well away from PvP, I suck too much at playing the game to have a chance in a PvP environment :p
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Noober

Post by Noober » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:49 pm

http://soulkerfuffle.blogspot.com/2006/ ... m-top.html

WoW fans beware that the pull does not become too strong.
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:40 pm

Yeah, good advice and warning there. It really is addictive and I can't explain why, really. But, I guess addictive things don't demand rational explanation.

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:46 am

I am addicted to computergames anyway. Ever since I met my wife, I have had to downgrade my time spent in the game. Nowadays my time is limited to a half hour in the morning during weekdays. Yes, I get up a half hour earlier just to get some relaxing gametime. Crazy? Maybe, but it works for me and it works for my family as I have time for the housekeeping (my wife is still sick) and the company of wife and child in the evening. It is so much regulated routine this way, that I am confident that my addiction won't get the better of me in a major way. Sure, once in a while it disrupts the pattern and I play a few hours in the weekend or evening when I should do something else, but it remains acceptable.
But, all in all, the warning is valid. (Though I can't recall if I ever was that bad, even in the highdays of my gamingaddictions)

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:46 am

I try to get up a bit earlier to get in some gaming time but it usually doesn't work out that well. Often because I keep hitting the snooze button on the alarm.
I play for the hour I have between when I get home and my better half gets home, and sometimes later in the evenings. Weekends are iffy; lately I've had some time on Sunday afternoons for a bit of gaming, but weekends are usually bust.

Getting to the point where the guy in the article got to just isn't possible for me as I don't have that kind of time to sink into WoW, or any other game.

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:08 pm

Exactly. Though I must admit that I doubt my resilience against addiction if I did not have my darlings...

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:51 pm

This last week and a half, I've had time for 3 games of Freecell :cry:

Ah well, hopefully the upcoming weekend will remedy that.

I tried looking for HoMM V in the local stores, but the only one who had strategy (and crpg) games on the shelves has closed for good. The only one of three from my shopping list that is actually sitting on a shelf and that I am still interested in, is Tombraider: Legends... I might just give in and buy it, even if it isn't bargain bin price yet.

(I tried a colleagues Oblivion for a week, a few weeks ago, playing an assassin. I just couldn't get past the awful writing, so it is off my to do list).
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Noober

Post by Noober » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:03 pm

Bought Football Manager 2007.

Yessssssssssssssah!

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:30 pm

Ruathavril wrote:Exactly. Though I must admit that I doubt my resilience against addiction if I did not have my darlings...
Oh, if I lived alone, I'd be playing games constantly. I have no doubt at all about that in the least.

Gorth, I've heard good things about Tomb Raider: Legends.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:50 pm

Playing a bit of both Fallouts. I'm very disappointed, since all my characters have annoyingly high success rates, despite having both the Jinxed trait and 1 luck. :?
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:20 pm

just tried out demo for Dark Crusade. Pissed me off how it was Tau oriented, but definately something I wanna buy
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan