Website/forum activity

Announcements, site and forum feedback
Gorth
Patron
Patron

Website/forum activity

Post by Gorth » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:07 am

Just a suggestion for the website (which, between forum and ezine I keep forgetting also exists), how about a regular column for our sports journalist (hint: He is Dutch) and our game reviewer (hint: He is Danish and he is not me)?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:30 am

OMG!! The exitement.. the mystery gets really.. uh.. mysterious.. I suggest a puzzle-zine.. Just kinda build up the exitement and then syno.. no.. mmmysteriously avoid it..

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:54 am

Hmm.

Well, first off, Spider and I were talking and we both agree that need need to get back to interviews or other "big ticket" pieces in the zine. Putting together an issue of all home grown articles is fine but since neither he nor I nor Magnus nor Baley or any of our other main contributors is "famous", we don't draw a lot of traffic. The exceptions of course are examples like my Doctor Who bits, pieces that are about something popular that we can promote on other sites.

So we hope to start having something "big" in each issue.

Also, the main site itself it going to be slightly redesigned in the near future since I think it looks rather poor after three years of no changes/updates.

As for dousi having a sports column, I'm all in favour of it.

But again, promoting it is an issue. Other than a few of us having links in our sigs and me making a few posts about it on other forums, we're not promoting. I think the last issue you promoted at Obsidian for example was issue 5 and we just released issue 9. We do need to draw more traffic.

So yes, I'm open to new contributions and contributors. Yes, I'm trying to fix up the main site a bit. And... as always, we need a more co-ordinated and involved method of getting people to it.

The Snow Queen

Post by The Snow Queen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:36 pm

I'll go knock up a friend this evening you might be interested in hearing from Josan.

But have to wait until I get home from this activity called "day job" and before I go to the "night job".
All men exist to serve me. ;)
Well, least it's a nice idea but I'll settle for a few....well a couple, maybe three or four. Hell, how about one for each day of the week and we'll call it quits at that? That should be enough staff don't you think?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:46 pm

Noooooooooooooo!

One post got you to 69. Now, you've gone and made two which puts you at 70. You've no choice now but to come up with 30 more to get to the next "major" milestone of triple digits. :wink:

And thanks for that other thing. :)

The Snow Queen

Post by The Snow Queen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 pm

ahem....69 is always an attainable number if you catch my drift :wink: :wink:

Now you just need the 'nudge-nudge' emoticon

It's a bit of a code between my boss and I when ask him if he's going for the perfect golf score of '69'. Just teasing him about what he could be doing instead of golfing.
All men exist to serve me. ;)
Well, least it's a nice idea but I'll settle for a few....well a couple, maybe three or four. Hell, how about one for each day of the week and we'll call it quits at that? That should be enough staff don't you think?

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:18 pm

The Snow Queen wrote:It's a bit of a code between my boss and I when ask him if he's going for the perfect golf score of '69'. Just teasing him about what he could be doing instead of golfing.
I guess hole-in-one is probably equally satisfactory.. and he gets to play with his balls all day, that's not too bad is it? :wink:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:07 pm

On the subject of activity, I still think looking into hosting other forums is viable.

There are so many forums out there, even smaller and slower than us, that we could host. That tactic works beautifully for our old friends, NMA. Of course, they were more tightly focused (with Fallout and then general PA games) and we don't have that same singular focus but the idea is the same.

The basic deal would be we give them a forum or three, we can set them to private if they want, and their mods/admins would be responsible for them. And ideally, there'd be some carry over traffic both ways.

With the site/zine, as my girl friend asked me "how much of a writer are you if you only write something once every three months?". That's had me thinking that we do need to step it up to keep it active.

I can easily write something on a bi-monthly basis. The question is, can we as a unit, pull something together every two months?

In theory, it's simple. Mattias and I could easily write a one page column each every two months. It's one page. I'm sure Magnus could contribute as a writer or be the graphics guy on that schedule as well. One or two backgrounds every two months. Child's play.

The trick would be the literature and artist's profiles. It's so simple. You see something, you ask the person "hey, would you like to be in this ezine?". So simple but not...

As for interviews, maybe keep that quarterly or bi-yearly.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Bloody hell!

I knew that it was slow this month but...

I just checked the stats for the site and we're on pace this month for our lowest traffic totals in 27 months.

As for the forums, equally as low. MTD, we've only had 13 members logged in.

I do agree, whole-heartedly, with the comments that we need more going on than just something every three months. I know, if Spider and I wanted to, we could both easily write a one page column on a bi-monthly basis. And even if working solely alone in the arts department, I could find us an artist every two months.

We retain a very small, yet loyal core, (although some go MIA often), so... I guess, let's see what we can come up with.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:15 am

And some of us are just the return of the living dead... :cool:

Well, it feels like that sometimes. Anyway, I thnk I shared my thoughts elsewhere, or was it my imagination?

d.sauzi is an obvious choice for running an international sports news column, updated regularly. Heck, you could almost cut and paste his forum posts and you would have a regular column for sports enthusiasts. Yourself is very good at social commentary, probably more so than the political stuff. What you need is a good, regular political ranter.

Oh, and then there was the Dr. Who web comic :)

Maybe you could illustrate your social commentary with some pointy Dr. Who strips?

Jan and I can tell you all what you do wrong and not insult you by comming with suggestions on how to improve it :roll:

All you need to add to that is the naked girls.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Satan's Onion
Title: Commence the jigglin

Post by Satan's Onion » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:27 am

Gorth wrote:...
All you need to add to that is the naked girls.
Just girls now? Add some nude men and you could attract an even wider audience =P .
Oh, God said to Abraham "Kill me a son"
Abe said "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say "No"
Abe say "What?"
God said "You can do what you want, Abe, but
the next time you see me comin', you better run"

Abe said "Where you want this killin' done?"
God said "Out on Highway 61"

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:39 am

You've never seen that picture of me before have you? :wink:

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 am

I concur with Satan's Onion, the world needs more naked men. :)
"Love isn't blind, it's retarded!"

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:49 pm

Well, as a matter of fact, I think I have seen that picture... :wink:
"Love isn't blind, it's retarded!"

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:52 pm

What???

I don't remember showing it to you (unless it was an attempt to bribe you into showing me your pic). When did you see it? Has Mattias been posting it all over Sweden?

EDIT: An interesting note: About a year or so ago, Mattias and I actually kicked around the idea, for an arts piece in the ezine, of "Admins Exposed", where we'd both pose for some artistic b&w nudes.

Obviously, nothing ever came of it but... there were almost two naked men at Winterwind. Just thought you ladies should know. :wink:

One thing I was thinking in just skimming through WWP forums... I wish our other contributors got more of a response.

I actually feel badly that the only articles that have threads making the 25 post popular threshold are mine, Lina's and one of Puuk's.