Public Service Announcement MK2

Announcements, site and forum feedback
MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Re: Public Service Announcement MK2

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Any way you could make it so only guests see the ads, while us old time registered users don't?

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:03 pm

With help from Odin from NMA we've fixed the discrepancy in size between forum and topic titles in the two templates. The css file for the dark template was much longer than the file for the light template. Turns out that Jan had added quite a bit of extra coding for some reason and part of what he had added at the bottom was over-riding the earlier coding. I'd never had found it since everything that was suppose match, matched.

So thanks to Odin, we have uniformity.
MERLANCE wrote:Any way you could make it so only guests see the ads, while us old time registered users don't?
I'm sure it's possible but to be honest, since they're only at the top of the index, forum and topic pages and not between forum posts and only 90px high, they're hardly intrusive. That and old time members should have a vested interest in supporting the place. :)

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 pm

The Amazon adds persuaded me to spend money.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 pm

And that is much appreciated. :haksthumbsup:

Also, nine times out of ten they're text instead of image ads and I specifically set them up to match the forum colours so they're barely even noticeable.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:07 pm

I missed them most of the time. It is after all, essential to have ads these days. Could be much worse.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 am

Coming quite soon we'll be sporting a new logo for the forums. It was a complete surprise to me when AKJ said "Hey, do you like this?" I do so love pleasant surprises when people just do things because they're all around cool people. So, on that note, in memoriam, here are the soon to be retired logos that AKJ designed... Oh, wow, years and years ago.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 pm

That logo is not good at all....Its awesomeeeeeee

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:41 am

Well, Marcus, at least someone besides me had the decency to compliment AKJ on a job well done. As for the rest of you... for shame!

And I just learned something tonight I should have learned a while ago... meta keywords are now largely useless as far as search engines are concerned. Now, it's all about the title element and, to an extent, the meta description. Well, at least all the editing will keep me busy. :|

ETA: Goddammit! I just discovered that the titles for every page on the site, regardless of content, are the same because while the content is controlled by an index.php file, the site as a whole is controlled by the template file. Now I have to figure out a way to make the title changeable on each page just like the meta description and (now useless) meta keywords are. :x

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:44 am

The new logo is nice, but then, so were the retired ones. Always thought the place had great logos over the previous almost decade.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Yeah, no matter what, we've always had great logos.

And... the issue with page titles for the site is solved. Looked at the coding, had a guess, asked Michael C.'s friend, Gavin, who does this magic coding stuff for a living, he confirmed the guess as correct, told me the code I'd need and... now for lots of file editing.

ETA: Was bored last night so I made new admin and mod tags. I like the idea I had... just not very good on the execution but then graphics have never been a strength of mine.

Oh, and the editing of titles and meta descriptions continues. I was wondering why our search engine rankings had dropped so much. Let's hope we can get them back and rebuild some traffic. I'm even considering creating a Winterwind presence on Facebook and... ugh... Twitter. Since we seem to be back on track with the ezine I figured "Why not?".