Public Service Announcement MK2

Announcements, site and forum feedback
Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: Public Service Announcement MK2

Post by Gorth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Joseph wrote:Well, we haven't done an ezine issue for 10 months. But there is one coming.

I've noticed it over the last three weeks or so. The issue is there then a couple minutes later it's gone and things are fine again.
Oh, so it wasn't just my connection. Was wondering a bit about that.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:20 am

The issue is fixed. They'd done some server upgrades so 'localhost' wasn't sending us in the right direction anymore. Upgraded the boards while I was at it.

the paperboy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by the paperboy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 am

Damn kids and their new-fangled technology!

That pesky can't establish connection thingamabopper has been a'happening every now and then this week.

But it only happens between 10-11pm EST which by my reckoning makes it 4-5am in our host's timezone which means they're doing tweaky things with the server. So all is well! We have nothing to fear but fear itself!
---

Another fast breaking news story...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:33 pm

In the hopes of getting the site to cover its own expenses I've added ads to the home page and the index pages of the sections listed in the left index menu. It's something that we probably should have done years ago. In fact, we did but since the site has been redesigned three or four times we took them off and never put them back on.

If we can get back on target with doing three or four ezine issues per year and also start adding more content to the site itself on a monthly or bi-monthly basis I think it'll help.

I'm considering placing ads on the forums too. While our own activity is now a small core of regulars I've noticed that we still get a lot of guest traffic on the boards due to them being almost 10 years old and being well indexed regarding subjects on old games, etc. If I do place ads on the forums, they'll be located between a thread's opening post and the replies, a format I'm sure we've all seen.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 am

Just an FYI, I have succesfully deleted my facebook. No more posting from me on there.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 pm

FB isn't really geared for promotion. It's 99% inane, vapid drivel. Unless of course you are FB in which case it's all about data mining and marketing.

We did get some traffic though from your friends from your post.

So, other than that... thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I sent out a group email yesterday and I'd love to see us achieve a few things.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Im semi active on some NWN forums and shit, I could try to post some stuff there about WW.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Just use a sig link. Unless you're fully active posting just about the site/ezine would just be seen as spamming. But thanks for the thought. :)

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:46 pm

I share it with most everyone I know. If it's not facebook no one seems to care. fudge facebook. Though, on a positive side, I've found my old Photoshop 7 disc (a bit outdated) and I'm reacquainting myself with it. I think I'm going to start by creating a bushel of Winterwind forum images.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm still using PS7 but then again, as we know, my skills are extremely basic. Just adding article titles and author credits to photographs. But hey, if you're ever so inclined, a cool cover for an issue now and then would be nice. :haksthumbsup:

And I hate FB and what I can only call the encouraged dumbing down of society. My prime example. The ezine release announcement got one comment and about four "likes" but my comments on quitting smoking and a UFO sighting got at least a dozen. Seriously BS fluff you can digest in 30 seconds gets attention but anything intelligent and creative, that requires reading get nothing. Frustrating is one word for it. I can think of plenty others but they'd be rather profane.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Emily (lady of yours truly) has Photoshop CS6. I'm still trying to figure out the difference. It looks more 'tech' and 'futuristic' with all of it's sliding menus and what have you. I haven't noticed a difference. For what I'm doing my registered copy of Photoshop 7 will complete the tasks at hand just fine.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:37 pm

I think you only need the newer version if you're a a full time artist or graphic designer.

Oh, and to fully explain the ad system now on the site...

We have two types of ads now on the site.

Amazon.com and Google Adsense.

With Amazon, they appear on every page. Some are simple context based ads and on a few pages, I've made them more involved.

Those would be on the Feature Articles index, where I'm using the electronics category and also including a search Amazon option. On the Gaming (Archive) page I'm obviously using Video Games, also with a search function. I've also put that on the pages of our interview with Puuk. That actually gets a couple hundred hits a month since someone cited us almost exclusively on the wikipedia entries for the old BIS Van Buren/Fallout 3 and Baldur's Gate 3 - The Black Hound entries. Unfortunately, Amazon ads are regionalised and .com is the US one. So we can only get credit for orders for the US. I was considering adding .co.uk as well but time will tell.

On the home page, and index pages for each section, we also now have Adsense. I'm using a combination of text and image ads. I might try other tweaks/styles down the road. With those, as I understand it, image ads are paid by impression and text ads are paid by click. I've actually changed my home page (used to be WW) to avoid any accidental clicks by me which would get the account closed. I'm hoping that if we can keep the ezine on track and start adding more regular content to the main site that it will start paying for itself.

As I mentioned earlier I might... might... ad Adsense to the forums too. While they're not overflowing with new posts there is still a lot of traffic via searches on older topics/games, etc.

Anyhow, that's the breakdown.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:03 am

FB is pretty much bullshitting about the current whinery and weather.

My father raged and got drunk and told all his FB friends to more or less go to hell! Even my sister and he in the end removed himself from the account. I guess he was to eager to start up something with old friends from his teenage times and when they pretty much only wanted to discuss their dinner and what not nonimportant. He could just not shut up about it!

But yes, Facebook is pretty much useless for anything useful, its good procastination and holding slight contact with people you would never run into but still want to keep in touch with one way or another.

I see about that siggy! Wonder if it helped last time I had it. :D

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Sig links are good, Marcus. They don't bring a lot of traffic but the do bring some. :)

And I've decided to, for now at least, try running ads on the forums. There are three places Google lets you place them, on the index page, on the forum topic index pages and within posts themselves, either before the first post or after it. I think I'll try putting them after the first post and we'll see how that works.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Well, the experiment with placing ads after the first post didn't go as I'd hoped. It placed them there but the coding they give on the various phpBB boards I found is all designed for the prosilver template which means it looks... bad on any other template and I couldn't find, or figure out, a way to modify it for different templates. So I decided to simply place it in the same position as it is on the main index and forum index pages.

Now I just need to figure out why the heck the forum title/topic title links on the left are so vastly different in size between the two templates. It's far too big on the dark template.