Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:27 am 

Title: Sorceror Supreme
The week went by rather uneventfully. Rogue learned a bit about the thieves guilds, two of them. The Last Laugh and the Alleybashers. The Last Laugh was the larger of the two and had a central meeting point, the slippery eel tavern. He put ten gold down and asked the barkeep to arrange to have that guy roughed up a bit. And hes supposed to be Neutral Good rogue.

Barbarian hung out at the temple of Thor, wrestling and stuff in a most manly fashion. Fighter had his shield pained with the insignia of the southern kingdom he was from, and acquired a tabard and a pennant for his lance. Hes turning sort of pseudo-knight on us, but hes not a kensai yet.

Now, for the gear. The main pitfall Joe ALWAYS falls into is that he gives us too much gear for our level. Temple of Elemental evil wasnt so bad, we tended to have gear for characters about 1 level higher than us the whole time. Not excessive, but slightly above average.

Barbarian, with the magic items he acquired, has a net worth of 85,000gp at 4th level, ten times what is normal. I will tell what each party member got as of loot.

Barbarian: Boots of striding and springing (+5 jump, +10 ft movement speed), Armor of the Unending hunt (+2 mithril chain mail and the wearer is immune to fatigue and exhaustion), Battle Glaive of Furious Doom +3 (+3 weapon, 3d4 base damage, casts doom DC 11 on hit,+2 str and +2 con when raging), Horse shoes of speed (for horse, +30 ft movement speed).

Fighter: Light Fortification Adamantine Breastplate (25% chance of negating crits and sneak attacks, DR 2/-), some sort of magic scabbard, +2 Bastard Sword of Light (Continual Daylight), Ring of blades (50 charges, casts 3 blade type spells from complete arcane).

Rogue: +2 shocking Burst scimitar (1d6 shock damage, +1d10 more on crits), +1 bloodseeking dagger of exit wounds (Complete warrior abilities), Some sort of illusionary armor, better than glamered because it makes all your gear change to look like something else, Wand of Stinking Cloud 25 charges.

Druid: 50 Brilliant energy arrows of exit wounds, druids vestments, amulet of wild shaping.

Warlock: Warlocks sceptre, +4 bracers of armor, ring of force shield, ring of protection +1, 5 scrolls of fireball

Anyways, as we left the magic shop after trying on our new gear...

To be continued

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:02 pm 

Looking back, I should have called chapter 3 "Interlude" or something like that rather than give it its own chapter. Ah well, this is the interesting part. ANd I cant believe so many people are actually reading this, someone must be hitting refresh or inflating the number of views. Anyways, Ill use the chapter name from the Shackled City book.

Chapter 4: Life's Bazaar

When last we left our heroes, they had just acquired a fresh batch of magical gear and were leaving the magic shop. Little did they know they immediately had a chance to test it out.

A scream was heard from a nearby alleyway! Naturally, the party rushed over and saw three Last Laugh toughs working over someone dressed as a cleric. Minor dialogue ensued but combat was needed. Warlock started by blasting one, then rogue threw his dagger, killing one. Barbarian jumped between the remaining two with a charge attack and hit both, for about 25 damage each. Combat was almost over before it began.

The party helped the priest up, and discovered he was a priest of Minerva (we have an odd pantheon sort of. Minerva was the Greek goddess Athena's Roman name. A goddes of intelligent warfare and military tactics). A voice from a rooftop (a woman that only the druid saw) said something to the effect of "You only live because we allow you to priest, stay away from the orphanage" and then she was gone.

The priest informed us that he was looking for some missing children, but the detailed description would have to wait until the party got out of the rain.

At this point Jeff Scott left, so druid went even farther onto the backburner as Jeff Gathergood took over.

Rogue checked the corpses and found a few gold and silver and gave them to the priest for his troubles. Fighter took the three shortswords.

The group went to the temple of minerva, where the party was recieved warmly. Fighter donated the three short swords to the temple. The ranking priestess present informed us of the difficulties. People were disappearing, most recently 4 children from the local orphanage. The temple promised to find the children, and was investigating it when the priest was attacked. People of all walks of life were disappearing, there was seemingly no pattern. To aid in her search, she used an item called the Spear of Omens to cast the spell divination a week prior. I don't recall the riddle that it gave us, but it was something like "The locks are key to finding them. Search behind the veil below the vale. Deep within the malachite hold, precious life is bought and sold. Beware the doors with teeth. Half a dwarf guards them there".

Naturally, our firs impression is that a derro is selling slaves in some sort of mining complex below the town.

The party decides that the first thing to do is to investigate the Last Laugh. Rogue went off to do this, shadowed by pseudodragon who would follow him and report to us if he had trouble and tell us where he was.

Rogue started off by going across the rooftops to try to find any Last Laugh engaged in thieving jobs. He found a pair breaking into a house. He snuck up behind the lookout and sneak attacked him, killing him. He then hid the body and used his armor to generate a disguise for himself to look like the guy. Furthermore, he took the posessions from the dead guy just in case, a few Last Laugh coins (apparently they have their own mint) and a dagger with their insignia on it. After the thief inside was done, he came out and suspected nothing.

Rogue then proceeded to the slippery eel tavern with his new disguise and went to the basement (the guild section of the tavern) and sat down to sharpen his dagger and listen to overhear anything. He overheard something about the half orc at the orphanage being in on some kidnapping job. After this, he left and returned to the inn. It was late at night, Barbarian was asleep. Fighter was up drinking in the common room and saw rogue come in.

And then a new day began...

To be Continued

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:51 am 

Anyways, I intended to catch up on this last week, but my computer died so I forgot a bunch of stuff. Ill give the short version now, then catch up after our next adventure. Forgive my use of we and I in this, I simply want to write as quickly as I can on the subject before further thoughts escape me.

Also, make this forum members only. My friends have discovered this by chance and I would rather they didnt read it.

The party investigated the locks of the homes of the people that were abducted. We discovered the locksmith who made them all had a skeleton key. Rogue broke into his shop that night while the party was outside, found a secret door, and fought a creature called a skulk. We confronted the sleeping locksmith, and he was coerced into helping them because they took his familiar.

The party descended into an old gnomish stronghold, and encountered a lot of traps, and fought some constructs and giant centipedes. The only real battle of note was the combat with two grell, where barbarian was grappled. We were lucky to survive in that one.

Eventually we made our way to the end of the dungeon. We bluffed our way through the hobgoblin guards to get to the slave market, and bought the children from a Durzagon (half fiend dwarf) and a half troll dwarf. A beholder showed up and took one of the kids, who had some kind of mark of evil on his face. we headed out, got our reward, and all the kids were rescued. Now we know of our new enemies, the cage-somethings.

If you want me to elaborate on anything, just ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:58 am 

After missing a week due to scheduling, we played D&D yet again. This is to be our last session until most likely May, because Joe doesnt know how to tell his boss no, and he has to work 52 hour weeks, including every Saturday while his company does some sort of systems conversion. Additionally, the group is likely to fall apart because Jeff Scott is getting married. If you want my thoughts on this, private message me, as because now I know that he reads these posts I cant say anything about him.

We were supposed to play at noon. Jeff Gathergood showed up at 1. Dan showed up half an hour later, but forgot his character sheet so he went home to get it, he never came back and seems to have completely lost his character. He had to leave to see someone at 5:30 anyhow, so maybe its for the best. Jeff Scott showed up at about 2:30, and we had already started playing without him. Anyways, this session was pretty much constant combat.

Chapter 5: Enter the Dragon

The adventure started with the group leaving Caldera. The druid needed to return to his grove near Oakhurst, where we had started our first adventure. The group left the city, and followed the road aways before they were accosted by something out of the bushes! The group couldnt see their attackers, so Barbarian boldly rushed into the brush, killing an unlucky redcap. The others attacked against foes with concealment, now that they knew their locations. They didnt last long, and two tried to run away. Barbarian chased down the first and killed him, then dealt nonlethal damage to the second and captured him to interrogate.

The group learned that this group was sent by a greater fey to accost them (any guesses there who?) and were paid 20 coins each. Barbarian searched the bodies and took the coins, they had a unique fey insignia on them, but did not register as magical according to the warlock (who has innate detect magic). The group also learned where the redcap village was from him. Additionally, he made mention of having met a handless goblin, and that the party would find him "hanging around" down the road.

Given that the redcap was cooperative after only a little intimidation, Barbarian decided to spare his life, and only cut off his right hand and left foot. Its a neutral act, really. Killing your prisoners is evil, and letting them go outright is too risky as they tend to want revenge. And punishments of this sort were not unheard of in the middle ages, so there is precedent.

The party continued up the road, and found a dead handless goblin hanging. Barbarian cut him down and propped him up on the side of the road against a tree, in a position that would not alert people instantly to his death. He also checked the body and determined that the goblin died by asphyxiation.

The party headed on down the road, and after a while it started to sleet. It seemed unnatural, so the party took cover and made a makeshift shelter and a fire. With some successful survival checks, we managed to ride out the storm which lasted a few hours. Everything ended up with a one inch sheet of ice. During the storm and after, we heard some howls in the distance.

When the storm ended, Barbarian decided to climb a tree, in the distance he saw some smoke rising up, approximately from where the redcap village would be. He then scouted out the area to about a quarter of a mile around the camp. When he was heading back he was ATTACKED. 4 winter wolves had circled around him while he was about 200 feet from the parties camp. Because of the ice, Barbarian could only move 1/4 his speed every round (it seems like joe tried to make an encounter where I couldnt use my speed). Barbarian raged and let out a mighty cry! Warlock heard this and came to investigate.

Barbarian attacked a wolf, maximum power attack, and dealt a heavy blow to the creature, as it died from massive damage. No other wolves were within range to cleave. The three remaining wolves attacked, hurting the barbarian. He responded by attacking another, dropping it as well, but missing when he attempted to cleave. Warlock came within range and blasted a wolf. The two attacked barbarian, injuring him greatly. Barbarian attacked again, slaying the wolf that warlock had wounded but failed to follow through on the attack. Warlock struck again, somehow slaying the final wolf. Barbarian collected eyes and teeth as trophies from this battle.

The party continued on, and I went upstairs to get a snack and a drink. When I came down, druid had spotted some trolls in a trench that were ready to ambush us. We quickly came up with a plan. Druid would cast a spell called Drifts of the Shalm that would create a field of burning embers that did 3 points of fire damage per round to everything caught in it (he did this at the bottom of the trench), Warlock would use a scroll of fireball (which he succeeded at), and Barbarian and Fighter would knock any trolls that tried to get out back into the trench. This plan succeeded, combat lasted about three rounds. Barbarian didnt even have to bother raging.

The party continued on to Oakhurst, and on the way the group saw a huge dragon flying overhead towards where we cleared out the dwarf place.

The group went into town, Druid went to his grove and found out that a dragon had been ravaging the area, a green dragon. They asked him to ask the party to deal with the threat.

Warlock went to where the faeries were and crossed into the fey realm, and talked with his fairy supervisor. The red haired fey was in love with him or something, he found out. I was levelling my character at this time so I only got the gist of it.

Barbarian, Rogue, and Fighter went into the tavern and started a drinking contest with some dwarves. Five rounds of Dragons Breath, the strong local drink. Barbarian, with his +9 fortitude save pounded back mug after mug, and noticed that after the fourth round the dwarf drank some kind of potion. Barbarian stood up and flipped over the table and called the dwarf a cheat, the dwarf insulted barbarian, and Barbarian rolled a 19 on a check to think of an insult back. Dwarf said something, and reached for a wand. Barbarian initiated a grapple and managed to pull the wand away from him. The other dwarf who was with him helped him up, and rogue noticed that the other dwarf slipped him a potion bottle as he was lifted up. Barbarian tried to grapple the second dwarf to get the bottle but failed. The dwarves went upstairs and Rogue pickpocketed them, getting some rings and things. Later on, we learned it was a wand of sleep with 36 charges.

The next day, the group went to the druid grove, and the druids made their pitch. The party agreed to help and set upon asking the lorekeepers of the druid circle about green dragons and their weaknesses and stuff. Druid got some Ironwood armor before the party set out. He also did some research on spells to get, picking up a few from the spell compendium, most notably Mass Resist Elements, which was a 3rd level spell that was as useful as five second level spells. He also got Downdraft, which causes a flying creature to plummet 100 feet, or 50 feet on a successful save, useful for bringing dragons out of the sky.

The group set out for the dwarven citadel, and when we reached the edge of the clearing (where we saw the worg riding goblins) we saw a HUGE green dragon attacking the stronghold, dwarven artifcers using wands of magic missile against it mostly without success.

Druid thought this would be an opportune time to try out his new spells, so he cast Resist energy, bulls strength on fighter and barbarian, and cast downdraft. The dragon plunged 50 feet into a tower, 20 feet off the ground.

The sight of the dragon was frightening (DC 21 frightful presence) for most of the group, but Barbarian only had courage as he RAGED, drank a potion of enlarge, and charged the great beast to prove it!

Barbarian had a 30 strength for this battle (18+6 for rage from the ferocious glaive, +4 from bulls strength, +2 from enlarge) and would do a base of 3d6+18, more when using power attack.

Barbarians charge was with power attack +10 damage, and he hit for about 45 damage. He repeated this the next round for 41 damage.

Warlock blasted, Fighter used his ring to animate his bastard sword to defend Barbarian and pulled out his bow. Druid cast another spell, scatterbolt or something, but it failed. Dwarves used magic missile wands to little effect. Rogue threw his dagger.

Dragon was mad, so it used its breath weapon on barbarian, dealing 40 points of acid damage. Joe rolled that it damaged my equipment, but I protested that i should get to roll. I rolled and got a natural 20, after I had just been complaining that I barely get any 20s. Jeff gathergood said I Shouldnt have wasted my luck on it then, and I said that I would still have had to confirm it. I rolled the d20 again just for fun and it was ANOTHER NATURAL 20! I couldnt even use it. Anyways, Barbarian attacked and did the damage as I wrote above.

The next round, the dragon grappled barbarian, who had really no chance against it. He knew what the dragon intended, to pick him up and drop him really far. Again, the party did actions as above.

Im not really sure what happened, but on either the fourth or fifth round, after being hit by some magic missiles, fighters flying sword, rogue getting a sneak attack, and a 10d6 or so crit from the warlock using his sceptre, the dragon fell out of the sky with barbarian beneath him. Druid wildshaped, ran over and pushed the dragon off barbarian and healed him, and barbarian drank a potion of cure moderate wounds. When his rage ended the next round, Barbarian had 1 hit point, having gone toe to toe with a dragon and escaping literally only within an inch of his life.

Barbarian claimed the head of the dragon as a trophy, and at the request of the warlock removed the dragons claws so that they could be forged into swords. Barbarian elected to just haul away the whole dragon to take the bones for making bows, the scales for armor (the group hasnt decided what kind of armor to make yet), and the meat to feed the orphans in Caldera. It IS odd to eat an intelligent talking magical creature, but it would be disrespectful to NOT eat it.

Anyways, after the fight was over, the red haired fey came out of the stronghold (we had learned that he secretly owned it the whole time and had been manipulating us from the start about it) and congratulated us on slaying the beast, as it couldnt be reasoned with. Barbarian requested some carts, and the warlock gave the fey his share of the coins with the insignia on them. The fey conjured some magic steeds to pull the carts to Oakhurst, and the party was off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:44 am 

For anyone that cares... we played a session and a half after this last post. But now this campaign is dead. We made it almost to eighth level over a period of four months. It makes me angry.

Now we are going to start *another* new campaign at level 1. Low levels get boring. We've only ever had ONE campaign where we made it past 10th level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:46 pm 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
MERLANCE wrote:
For anyone that cares... we played a session and a half after this last post. But now this campaign is dead. We made it almost to eighth level over a period of four months. It makes me angry.

Now we are going to start *another* new campaign at level 1. Low levels get boring. We've only ever had ONE campaign where we made it past 10th level.

Did the party get wiped, or did it just die because of low interest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:54 pm 

Frankly, I don't know WHY it ended. Everyone was alive, we just finished a big quest and were about to start another.

Joe emailled me and told me that it had something to do with him not having time to plan adventures because of work and that he "started going out on weekends" or something. Jeff Scott emailed me and told me that it had something to do with Joes dad. At the end of our last adventure his dad got mad about some ruling joe made and more or less tore up his character sheet (well, not literally, but he may as well have). He was a fey themed warlock, and Joe made a ruling on one of his feat choices that ACTUALLY MADE IT BETTER, but he scrapped all the stuff he had planned for his character.

So I really don't know what the truth is. I'll try calling Joe in a few to find out the truth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2