The Qui'Hamor Online Campaign Discussion Thread

Online role playing, nerdy, not naughty
D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 pm

I'm thinking of putting you guys into the Qui'Hamor world, a mate of mine made, probably somewhere on the continent of Vareshi.

I'm in doubt what i'll do with the rest of his campaign setting, because he has altered the pantheon and the planes and made some distinctions in races, and i'm not sure how much i'll take from that, partly to keep things easy. I'm thinking on taking the whole package in the end, if he's no qualms about it i'll post the Atlas and Handbook soon, for now a map, and the races
I think i will take the race distinctions, which are mainly as follows:
Humans: divided in 4 subraces: Enoshi, West-Mekkeshi, East-Mekkeshi and Vareshi
Elves: divided into 2 subraces: Varendell and Hiress
Dwarves: divided into 2 subraces: Ormenk and Ugt
Gnomes and Halflings stay roughly the same, although Gnomes have a more cynical view than normally. Half-elves are usually Varendell, though can be of both elven types (and all four human types), this doesnt alter their ingame use however.
Main Rules ideas:

Ugt Dwarf: fav class; Fighter, +2 con, -2 cha, 20ft speed, 120ft darkvision, +1 attack vs evil outsiders, +2 reflex save, +1 to melee in small corridors, Fire and acid resistance 5, -1 to all rolls made in bright sunlight. (Ugt dwarves are the dwarven protectors of the inner earth, they also seldomly leave their cave systems)

Ormenk Dwarf: fav class: both fighter and rogue; +2 wis, -2 Int, speed 30 ft, darkvision 30 ft, +2 to diplomacy and sense motive, +2 to appraise related to currency and ores, +4 bonus to save vs fear. (Ormenk dwarves are the more civilized counterparts of the Ugt, often engrossed in trading, like ore.)

Hiress Elf: +2 dex, +2 cha, -2 con. speed 30, lowlight vision, +2 saves vs spells, weapon profs halfspear, longspear, shortbow and longbow; fav class Fighter (The Hiress elf can be called the arrogant version of the elf, they also guard the Shellfinn, the creator race of QH, living on the SW island)

Varendell Elf: favclass: Wizard +2 Int, -2 cha, speed 30, +2 to survival and swim, +2 to any profession, Improved Toughness (free feat), (the more artistic version of the Elf, which has been exiled from their original land (now mainly living on Leveland, and spread troughout the human continents) Varendell elves mix much better with other races and are also the main cause of half-elves.)

Gnomes (changed a bit, here's the package) : favclass Bard, +2 con, -2 str, Small, speed 20, +4 save vs poison, +2 Listen and Spot +10 on listen whilst sleeping. +1 initiative, Luck (reroll 1/day),

Hiress Half-elf: favclass Any, speed 30, +1 save vs spells, WP: halfspear, longspear, shortbow, longbow
Varendell Half-elf: favclass: Any, speed 30, profession, survival and swim become class skills, 4 extra skill points at 1st lvl and 1 every level thereafter.

Halflings: as per SRD

Enoshi: favorite class Monk, +2 wis, -2 cha, speed 30, +1 to AC, lowlight vision, extra feat at 1st level, 4 skill points extra at 1st level, 1 every level thereafter. (shortly said Enoshi are the Monk-like version of Humans)

West-Mekkeshi: favclass; Any, speed 30, extra feat, extra 4 skill points at l1, 1 every level thereafter. (West Mekkeshi are probably the most civilized race in the world, say the americans of QH, which also leads them to be good traders and warmongers, though nowadays only with East Mekkeshi.)

East-Mekkeshi: favclass Ranger; +2 con, -2 Int, speed 30, extra feat, extra skill (4+1/lvl), Endurance, Fire resistance 4. (East Mekkeshi are best said the Nomadic version of humans)

Vareshi: favclass Any, speed 30, extra feat, bonus skills (4+1/lvl) (These are the more tribal version of humans, however in the south of Varesh there are more Latin medieval influences (think from Nigerian to Portuguese)

This division has two main effects, there is more to choose from, and there exist some more languages. Languages work quite the same as normal, apart from every race having his own language, furthermore there is a kind of closeness system that makes certain languages easier to learn. As such a Varendell/West Mekkeshi Halfelf would get both Varendell and W-Mekkeshi for free, in that case the Hiress, E-Mekkeshi and Enoshi languages cost only 1 skill point, while the Dwarven and Vareshi languages still cost 2 (Gnome and Halfling too), and for instance far away languages like Infernal would cost 3, I'll upload the scheme sometime soon, but i think it quite expalains itself (take a look at the map).

I think i'll put us in either Varesh or East Mekkesh, partly due to CBs character, so that deserts arent continents away.
In case of the chars you are thinking about i guess MERLANCE is one of the more civilized human types, or a Varendell elf, and i'd think CB is one of the more nomadic/tribal human types, East Mekkeshi or Vareshi.
As for Josan i don't really know yet, we talked a bit over MSN, an i'd say in this world the Ormenk dwarves come pretty close to your idea, or maybe the Gnomes and Halflings, however it can be elven just as well, from a different perspective.
I'll p[ost more complete race descciptions together with the Handbook i think.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 pm

Qui’hamor is a world of the common races. The gods were separated from the world and
located not according to their own choice, but according to decisions of mortals in ages
past. Qui’hamor lay right in between the heavens and hells, and formed a shortcut and
thus a battleground for the gods. The leaders of the world decided in secret that this
fighting on their lands had to stop. So the common races pulled together to seal the
heavens and hells from Qui’hamor. Ever since the gods have been stuck either on
Qui’hamor or on the Outer Planes.
When the sealing of the planes was done, several important things happened. Arguably
most important, some gods got stuck on the material plane. Further, around this time of
sealing, more and more mystery and riddles sprung into place. Some say these mysteries
and riddles form the key to freeing the banished gods, others think they are signs of a
power different from the divine.
In any case, during the past ages Qui’hamor slowly became the world it’s now: a
flourishing place of the common races. Politics, arts, religion, adventuring, magic and
mystery form the everyday routine of many people on Qui'hamor. A character in this
world should not have a problem finding a trace of just about anything imaginable in a
medieval world of fantasy. Whether a character is able to follow this trace, is up to the
player and the evilness of his DM…

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:31 pm

You know, the language filter made that really funny :lol:

g0ds = Fish

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:54 pm

MERLANCE wrote:Weapon Focus Shortspear? Thats kind of odd, forcing yourself into using one type of simple weapon for your entire career. First of all Trident does 1d8 instead of 1d6. It can also be thrown and readied against a charge. Even Lance would be a better choice if you plan on relying on mounted combat. You can use it one handed while mounted.

Forgive my power gaming tendencies, I just think you should avoid using a suboptimal weapon. At the very least consider refraining from taking weapon focus initially.
Thought about grabbing a lance, but considering I don't have a mount (yet), it wouldn't do me much good. Besides, I'm more interested in the flavour of a character than the power gaming aspects, and I think tridents look silly ;) As for the PrC, it's not a prerequisite, so that had no influence on it.

However, I did a little thinking on weapon choices and such, and I've made a few alterations in the feats I've chosen. I've ditched mounted combat (I can always choose that later) and WF:Shortspear, and taken Far Shot and WF:Javelin instead, making my character a ranged fighter first, ie throw one, hopefully two, javelins before closing in on close combat. I'll spend the bonus feats from later levels on getting more of the mounted combat feats.

::edit::
MERLANCE wrote:You know, the language filter made that really funny :lol:

g0ds = Fish
Fixed ;)
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:10 pm

Brother Magnus... what did you do???

If someone really wants to says gods, they can evade the filter thus: gods.

And... wow, those character sheets scare me... may need a hand picking skills/feats etc etc.

And how did you guys arrive at your starting cash with which to buy your gear? Did I miss something in one of dousi's posts?

And dousi, was the additional skill points that you gained in IWD2 as you leveled up something that is only done in that game. I assume since we're rolling stats that they will not increase further unless via magical means.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:33 pm

Hmmm, I'm actually not sure where the starting cash tables are, since I used a program to do all the tedious rolling and such of my character , and neither the PHB, DMG or that d20 SRD page has any table explicitly listed.

As far as skill points go, I don't think IWD2 did anything different in that area, other than having a few bogus skills :)
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Starting cash is on a table in the PHB, in the classes section. The first page of the classes section, IIRC.

Edit: First page of the equipment section. I knew it was on the first page of some chapter, one of the big yellow pages...

Page 95 of the PHB in 3.0, page 111 in the PHB in 3.5

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:29 pm

:D please read the last page, i posted the starting gold table, which is at the start of the equipment chapter (7), on page 95, however for some reason it is omitted in the d20srd.org site.
conversely you can use the starting equipment listed with the class explanation, with your own weapon preferences (say you want a war hammer instead of a mace, don't over do this, a Full Plate is something different than a Studded Leather.)

As for skill points any class gets X+int bonus / lvl (which i think was the same in IWD) But on first level you get 4 times that amount.
The X is different for classes, Fighters, Monks, Pallys, Sorcerers, Wizards, Barbarians and Clerics get 2+int, Druids get 4, Bards get 6 and Rogues get 8. Rangers get either 4 or 6, don't recall.
As such a Rogue with Int 14 would get 32+8 skill points at 1st level, and 8+2 every level thereafter.
For reasons like these btw, we prefer the better balanced (read more power) 3.5e versions of the Ranger and Bard.

Give me a note if you want help on picking those skills (and feats), usual Rogues (the dungeoneering/sneaking type) want the following:
Spot, Listen, Search, Disable Device, Open Lock, Hide, Move Silently.
After that you either go the talking way, or the 'spying' way which includes a great number of possible skills to choose:
Appraise, Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate, Gather Info and Sense Motive for the former
Forgery, Sleight of Hand (Pickpocket), Balance, Tumble, Escape Artist, Disguise for the latter
Survival is another pick that will always be of use, and Use Magic Device can be a very important rogue-only skill. (and then Spellcraft or Concentration become ideas too)
A large package, but considering the 40 skill points in the example, you can max out 10 skills, or what would be my advice, max out 4, and take 3/4 in the rest. (which gives you, say 14 skills)

As for feats, the usual rogue is interested in ranged feats, rogue-specific feats (like those that add to sneak attacks), defense improving feats, like the Expertise road or Movement feats, like the Spring Attack direction or Improved Initiative.

Creating a Character in nine easy steps:
1) roll your dice and get your stats
2) pick a race and class (size, speed, saves and hit points follow from that)
3) pick the skills you want
4) pick the feats you want
5) determine your starting gold
6) buy your equipment (and note the amount of gold left)
7) find/create your final stat stuff,
(height and weight, a name, an alignment, your carrying capacities, your initiative (dex+feats), attack bonuses (BAB, MEL and RAN), your languages (own + int bonus, or spend skill points))
(spells, domains, racial enemies, animal companions, familiars, etc if applicable. )
8) prepare for your first day (your AC, memorizing spells, your speed altered by your load)
9) description time

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:43 pm

I got the call to give you guys both the Atlas and the Handbook beta 0.8, there is some dutch left here and there, but those parts arent finished yet anyway.
Also we are in doubt what to do with the Protector class, and at this time it is definitely yet unfinished, so for the time being it doesnt exist, and the races that list it as favourite use Fighter instead.

of course this is mostly flavour, no must-read. It does however list the said races in better detail, and lists the Pantheon and Planes usage. There's also descriptions of all the countries/states, in case you'd want to look for a heritage or something. The Language graph is in there too, and the Atlas includes a large number of zoomable maps.

Qui'Hamor Atlas (3.5 mb): Clickie!
Qui'Hamor Player's Handbook Beta 8 (1 mb): Clickie!

ah yes, please download instead of opening it all the time, save my mate some bandwidth ;)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:37 pm

I think i'll let you guys start in the country called Silvercoast, part of the Quartochry in the south of the Vareshi powerstate.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:48 pm

Warmage doesnt have starting gold listed. There is no errata for it.

Near as I can figure, they would have the same as bard (4d4x10). Logically, they would have more than a wizard/sorceror (3d4x10) given the fact that they are expected to have light armor and can use a shield.

So, decide. 4d4 or 3d4.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:00 pm

Hrmm, that is what i adviced you to do on the last page (3)... 4d4x10...

[edit]hmm the message was edited however, you might have missed it[/edit]

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:20 pm

D. Sauzi wrote:Hrmm, that is what i adviced you to do on the last page (3)... 4d4x10...

[edit]hmm the message was edited however, you might have missed it[/edit]
Indeed, didnt notice it. 130 gold (4, 4, 4, 1) Wish I had a few thousand, mithril would be nice... sinec 6 str keeps me from carrying a lot.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:33 pm

heh indeed, though i wouldnt be doing much meleeing or dragging about studded leathers when i had str 6..

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:27 pm

Alright, gear...

A light load for me is 20 lbs or less. Maybe CB will carry my excess gear?

Leather armor is 15lbs, dagger is 1lb, crossbow with 10 bolts is 5lbs. That brings me to 21 lbs. I need the dagger if I want to use the total defense action, though. I need the crossbow for when I run out of spells. I need the 30ft movement speed to run away.

Any chance you could cut me 1lb of slack, dousi?

Anyways, dagger, crossbow, and leather costs me 48gp. That leaves a remaining 82...

I buy a light horse for 75. That leaves me with 7gp. I can't afford a riding saddle, and a pack saddle would have nothing to hold due to lack of funds. Im sure that would quickly end though... Alright, I get a pack saddle for 5gp, leaving me with 2gp.

That leaves enough for some food at the inn for a few days.