Another NEW MERLANCE D&D campaign thread

Online role playing, nerdy, not naughty
MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Another NEW MERLANCE D&D campaign thread

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:28 am

So we finally played today. Same group as before, except replace Joe's dad with some guy named Jason.

This game takes place in Eberron.

Dramatis Personae:

Me: Elven Ninja with the least mark of shadow, in House Pharlian
Joe: Stark, a red and gold motif warforged artificer
Dan: Half Orc Monk
Jeff Gathergood: Halfling wizard name Charles Norris Jorasco (name started as a joke, something about his beard having a wand or something)
Jason: Human Paladin that incidentally isnt very paladinlike. Already aided and abetted us commiting an act of questionable legality (a minor chaotic act. More that it violates local custom than outright laws). He is also playing his girlfriends character until she actually joins us.

I'll post on what occured a bit later. This was just to set the cast of characters.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:28 am

Alright, so its like this:

And there will be some holes because I don't know everyone's back story. Additionally I'll use "we" more often because its simpler than "the party". Ill also be lazier with regards to tense and stuff, as nobody really reads these anyhow (CB is about it). Ill also try to keep it to short posts so that those with short attention spans will stay tuned.

We all gathered in a city in whatever country Sharn is in, just off the border of the Mournlands. We are guards and laborers on a convoy. The halfling wizard is of House Jorasco, and it is they who are running this mission. I think that there are like 15 of us total. The party, some halfling wizards, and some human guards. One of the humans is the paladin's mentor.

Anyways, we all gather at the muster point in this city, and the wizard Norris starts requisitioning supplies from the house. He gets food and tents and stuff for all the party members and the extras (this is important later). The party disperse to get some extra gear we might need, but is told to meet at the gate in an hour. My ninja goes off to get some silver arrows, the monk goes to get some new sandals, and the warforged goes off on his own for some other reason entirely.

We were each allowed a listen check. The others failed theirs, but my ninja made mine and evaded attack. The others were sapped and taken prisoner. They were then interrogated about their mission in an undisclosed location by undisclosed captors. I figure it was the Emerald Claw, they have their fingers in a lot of pies.

Anyways, when their captors realized they knew nothing they let them go, and the journey began.

After a few days we ended up at the border to the Mournlands, and camped there for the night. The next day we started through the barrier of fog on the edge, and began our trek to an undisclosed location.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:24 pm

MERLANCE wrote:Alright, so its like this:

And there will be some holes because I don't know everyone's back story. Additionally I'll use "we" more often because its simpler than "the party". Ill also be lazier with regards to tense and stuff, as nobody really reads these anyhow (CB is about it).
I can be a grammar nazi, if you want me to :D
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:42 am

Anyways the journey through the Mournlands was pretty uneventful. It took 21 days to get there. On the way we encountered a city which we went around, a field of dead bodies which we went around (mostly) and fought a carcass crab there (at least the wizards did, they just cast 4 lightning bolts to deal with it).

We arrived at some old city, and there was some sort of building at the bottom of a hill or a crater (I don't recall which) with some door. It took the mages about an hour to get it open, then they went inside and opened another door. After a while, we heard screaming and out ran some monsters (Dolgrims) which the party dispatched with relative ease. We then ran inside only to find a rather gory scene. Body parts spread out, blood everywhere, and a rakshasa holding some sort of orb in his hand, laughing, before teleporting away.

The party spent a few minutes looking through what was left, finding few clues. Some bloody parchments on the ground (which my character pocketed) one of the spellbooks of the wizards, and the broken shield and sword of the paladin's mentor.

We exited the place only to find that one of the wagons holding supplies was gone (the horses bolted during the fight). Fortunately, this was not the food wagon.

The paladin asserted himself into a leadership role at this point despite my character panicking (we're gonna die out here, man!) and we began the journey out of the Mournlands.

My character mostly rode in the wagon with his bow, constantly on the alert for any attacks or things. Mostly we just heard distant howling...

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:38 am

(We burned the bodies of those that died, so as to prevent them rising as undead or anything).

As we continued on through the Mournlands we had to constantly make survival checks to determine which direction we needed to go. The Fighter and Paladin consistent made them at DC 20, I'm not sure how though. We only went the wrong direction like two days out of the three week trip.

Anyways, after a while we came across some landmarks, and eventually found some sort of dwelling in a hill side or something. We couldn't really determine the best course of action, so I sneaked up to it. The guy inside heard me, and came out. Turns out he was dead. Or undead. Or something in between. We couldn't really figure it out. Turns out he was some guy from house Orion who was unfortunate to die in the Mournlands at some point, I think after the Day of Mourning.

Anyways, he was a nice guy. He was kind of bored as there was not much to do, so he made art out of stuff like rocks and sand. We gave him some ink, paper, and other art supplies to at least occupy him for a while. We offered to send a message to his wife Elizabeth in Sharn. He also drew us a map of the surrounding areas and some landmarks to get out of there.

Anyways, we stayed the night. SOME people are inept watchment (Tusk the half orc) and some of the wolf things came and took some food. My elf then took watch, and when the wolf things approached I blew on the whistle I had purchased before leaving and they scurried off. This woke the party, who thought it was odd that I had a whistle but they went back to sleep.

In the morning,we realized that six days worth of food was gone. Luckily for us Jeff in his infinite wisdom requisitioned enough food for the warforged as well, so 42 extra days worth of food for us from that (21 there and 21 back) so we were fine.

After a few more days, the party came across another structure and like the gang from scooby doo we just had to investigate the "mystery". I tried to stop them by scaring them with my Dragonmark power (sphere of darkness) but they continued on anyways, despite not knowing the source (My elf had the stereotypical black ninja outfit on so they didn't see much of his skin besides his eyes and ears, least of all not the dragonmark).

Anyways, we went inside, warforged disabled some traps, and he had some trouble opening a door so we just removed the hinges and let it fall. In the room was a warforged. We tried to engage it in conversation but it seemed inert or something. We tossed a hinge into the room, and it looked in the direction of it. We tossed another hinge, and I used that as a distraction to make a hide check and move into the room, it didnt see me. I was able to search the room for a minute until it saw me, in which case combat began. It charged at me, but I moved away, tumbled past it, and jumped over the party into the hall. Tusk and Dathin (the paladin) pretty much made short work of it.

We searched the room, warforged set off a trap on a huge vault sized door of steel but saved against it. He couldnt get it open so everyone worked together making strength and aid another checks and after a few rounds we managed to pull it off the wall. Warforged saw a raised plate, so he poked it with a ten foot pole to no effect. Everyone else moved away before he did this though. He then kept pressing all the other plates around it, realeasing MANY clouds of poisonous gas, and everyone ran back outside until they dispersed a few minutes later.

Inside the room was a cache of masterwork Cyran weapons. We decided to take as much as we could carry in our wagon WE got something like 20 short swords, 20 great axes, 20 battle axes, 20 spears, and the paladin got masterwork breastplate.

Anyways, while loading up the wagon the freakin' weapons came to life! WE had to fight about 6 different weapons off, but won with minimal damage.

We continued onwards.

After a while we came across a figure, a warforged wandering through the mournlands. He served the Lord of Blades and demanded to know what we were doing in his territory. I tried to solve this diplomatically, but paladin with detect evil decided to smite smite smite. Again, a short battle with no wounding, I think that the monk Stunning Fisted him and we dismantled him from there as a warning to the warforged that would inevitably find him. I suggested crucifixion, but we lacked material to perform that, so we continued on.

Eventually we reached the battlefield we passed before. Paladin wanted to scavenge some full plate but the carcass crab that was killed was scavenged by other things, and nothing to be had was there.

We continued on, and made it to the ruined city, we didnt go far enough around it, and we were accosted by scavengers. We were outnumbered, and they weren't all evil, so no smiting was done here. We negotiated a settlement, 20% of the stuff we scavenged. Additionally, we traded some more of our stuff in order to get some potions, scrolls, and a wand. After this, it was straight shot east and we finally reached the edge of the Mournlands!

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:50 am

As I mentioned before, there was some discussion as to how breaking the Breland law of scavenging the Mournlands should have been harder for the paladin to accept. But this was a minor chaotic act, as the law was designed to discourage people from entering the Mournlands to scavenge in order to protect them, as it is dangerous. We were already there and leaving and did it anyways. Regardless, we skipped the small town on the border and went to the larger town which was further inland in order to avoid guards checking for contraband. Our first stop was the House Deneith enclave so the paladin could report in, and try to sell the stuff there. Unfortunately the quartermaster recognized these as Cyran crafted items (darn natural 20s on appraise checks) and refused to buy them. My ninja then spent the evening looking for a fence in town, and found one that would buy them at 35% of the listed cost.

And with that we ended our first session. We levelled and got something like 1700 gp each. Not a game breaking amount, but at least enough to let us outfit ourselves reasonably.

I bought boots of Feather falling (all items that a fourth level caster could craft were half price) as I couldnt get a ring cheap. Boots, wondrous items that they are, cost me 1100 gp. I also got shiftweave clothing for 250gp and a Healing Belt for 375gp (both from the magic item compendium)

And today we played session 2, though it was a short one... and I will speak of that later, as it is more interesting from my standpoint. Where the Paladin got to be our leader and shine in our hour of need, my streetsmarts and stuff helped us out in Sharn.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:35 pm

By the way, is this one of those published adventures (I think your last Eberron adventure was from the Eberron campaign setting whatnot), or a homebrew?
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:32 pm

CatBoris wrote:By the way, is this one of those published adventures (I think your last Eberron adventure was from the Eberron campaign setting whatnot), or a homebrew?
Homebrew, though he clearly has borrowed some elements of the published adventure that we played. He has also reused some things that he has done in past campaigns, for example the raised plate not being the trap, but everything around it is.

I'll publish our city adventure later on.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Well, I hadn't really expected the campaign to continue, which is why I hadn't bothered posting any updates. Ill try to be better about that in the future. I'll keep this short as I've forgotten specifics.

We went to Sharn. We did some research. We took care of some people trying to kill us, in an overly elaborate plot we divided them and killed them one by one.

We found a scholar that was not aligned with any particular faction, and convinced him to lead an expedition to the Mournlands.

So we headed out, spent two hours planning how we could get 4 months worth of food for 11 people and 8 horses, and determined that it was impossible without significant expenditure of money. So we ended up getting house Jorasco to give us a blank check to buy about 10,000gp worth of Goodberry wine (which was really the only way to advance the plot). We also got some food and other supplies to trade with the scavengers we met before.

So we set out, got to the mournlands, hired a 3rd level ranger guide (as well as Dr Jones, and his four students). Spent a few days to get to the bandit city, sold the fighter into prostitution for a night (she wasn't there to play her character) slept for the night, the wizard identified some of their loot for them, and while there we went on a sidequest for the monk (to find some sort of martial arts manual from the monastary in the city. We got in, grabbed the book, then an army from the Lord of Blades attacked.

WE had an interesting encounter being chased through the streets by warforged Titans http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/spell ... /92194.jpg

Lord of Blades himself was up on some magical chariot in the sky (think the evil santa robot in Futurama).

So, we all got away, with some of the bandits who we let in our wagon to flee.

A few days later, some warforged caught up to us. WE killed them. Then we gave the five bandits (including the leader guy we had met before) 2 horses and some food so they would have a fighting chance of getting out of the Mournlands.

Anyways, we made it to some city that we were trying to get to and that is where we stopped that time.

When we played again, we started the adventure from there. Fought some undead in the streets, then some more undead at our destination. Used some cranes, lifted some rocks...

To be continued

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:13 pm

...Went into an underground library at what remains of a House Cannity complex, searched through the books, found the location of where we would find out more about what we are seeking.

After a while we found it, and left that place.

We went to where it was supposed to be, but there was nothing there. So Dr Jones started excavating. It took a week. After a few days we had a tough fight with some warforged in the middle of the night, we won after a lot of running and chasing archers.

Eventually we dug up a doorway, and used an elemental battering ram to get it open. We then saw a number of magical traps, which the warforged disabled, then went through. After some cursory searching of the first few rooms, we were attacked by horrid dire rats in a storeroom, and thats where we stopped.

Ill try to be more detail oriented in the future, I just hadnt thought that the campaign was going to continue.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:49 am

I haven't posted anything on this in a while, and we weren't playing regularly. We are putting this campaign on a hiatus for college football season, and will probably pick it up in six weeks or so.

Anyways, I never thought the game would go anywhere, though I seem to have been wrong. We did a lot of stuff, got a lot of things, fought a random encounter dragon, got a book of vile darkness, and a bunch of terrible disease samples from the house cannith complex. Which ended up causing a mess of trouble, let me tell you!

Anyways, we finally confronted the Rakshasa with the magic orb thingy, and had a hard fought battle. We killed him, but not before we botched his ritual and we were all shifted to a strange land, which our characters assume is Xen'drik.

We found ourselves in a place called the "Underdark" beneath what the surfacers called the "Sword Coast", and befriended some gnomes called the Svirfneblin or something. They warned us of Spider Worshipping Drow, which is silly as everyone knows the drow of Xen'drik worship scorpions...

Yeah. We're there.