Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: PnP players
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:00 pm 

Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise
Title: Token Archer Fan
anybody else play PnP RPGs? I've had a lot of people reference the books here but overall they seem to be all CPU players. If you guys do I would love to hear what you play in PnP. Here's what I play if interested:

ANY Old world of Darkness (New sucks)
in order:
1. Werewolf
2. Changeling
3. Vampire (Malkavian w/ Salubri disciplines>j00)
4. Mage (is it just me or are these guys just twinks for smart people)
Exalted
GURPS
Rifts

Wanted to play Shadowrun and I played DnD when it was TSR and even gave Wizards spin on it. Which I liked until it got too... cracked and broken.

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:39 am 

We play a lot. And I mean a lot. We play almost exclusively White Wolf games (we've tried others, but the Storytelling system suits our group perfectly, so all other systems feel crass in comparison). Although using the storytelling system, we play almost anything. Currently Exalted and pseudo-WoD influenced by Heroes, using the new rules (which I consider to be a vast improvement over the old ones. Can't comment on the world too much since I haven't read that much about it, but the old one was a convoluted mess so the remake was probably a necessity for WoD to be able to exist as a company).

We have, through the years, tried about a million other system. And while none of the other games has managed to capture us as a group there are a few other games I personally like.

Like Tribe 8. Fantastic setting, wonderful art direction, books written so good they might as well be literature rather than rules for the most part. Unfortunately the rules aren't all that, but woven so tightly into the setting that it'd be a lot of work to port the setting.

Totally opposite is Legend of the Five Rings. The rules there are excellent. I could even like those better than the storytelling rules, but I haven't played it enough to know for sure. But the setting didn't suit me at all. It's more focused on families and dynasties than single characters, so it plays out on a much grander scale. And for me my character is everything, so it was a bit weird. It could be adapted of course, but since we play Exalted a lot there's really not that big of a need.

Oh, and I think D&D is a horrible rules system for roleplaying. Pretty good in computer games though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:25 pm 

Spider wrote:
Currently Exalted and pseudo-WoD influenced by Heroes, using the new rules (which I consider to be a vast improvement over the old ones. Can't comment on the world too much since I haven't read that much about it, but the old one was a convoluted mess so the remake was probably a necessity for WoD to be able to exist as a company).

Old WoD was a convoluted mess it was my convoluted mess. That and it's more that I hate the way all the New WoD games are set up. There's only five 'races' to play along with 5 other things you can be. Werewolf especially got butchered this way. However the overall system is ok.

So less variety... and no Malkavians (Well the Malkavians I know and love) or Black Furies :cry:

Quote:
Like Tribe 8. Fantastic setting, wonderful art direction, books written so good they might as well be literature rather than rules for the most part. Unfortunately the rules aren't all that, but woven so tightly into the setting that it'd be a lot of work to port the setting.

Totally opposite is Legend of the Five Rings. The rules there are excellent. I could even like those better than the storytelling rules, but I haven't played it enough to know for sure. But the setting didn't suit me at all. It's more focused on families and dynasties than single characters, so it plays out on a much grander scale. And for me my character is everything, so it was a bit weird. It could be adapted of course, but since we play Exalted a lot there's really not that big of a need.

Never played Legend of the Five Rings, Tribe 8 or Exalted (although Exalted sounds like its good)

Quote:
Oh, and I think D&D is a horrible rules system for roleplaying. Pretty good in computer games though

Agreed also D&D is the epitome of too much variety.

Average population in my D&D games:

1 Halfling rogue
50 Halfling Paladins
1000000 Halfling Insert Twinky/lame/WTF Prestiege class here
30 Dwarves of various classes

and all of them are Chaotic Neutral :roll:

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

-Rachel Duncan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:22 am 

damn i though i made a quite long post here yesterday.. must have forgot to submit it :S :shock:

anyway, i play a lot of custom dnd3.5 in pen & paper (just today also). All are custom worlds, mainly standard fantasy, with the occasional area that might be rennaissance or even a small bit of steam, we also play apocalyptic.

I understand your feeling about the rule system, but i dont think rules interfere much with roleplaying when you have an experienced group of players that will not use that for their own good. Most of the incredible load of dung made by wizards are just ideas, of which 1 in 5 or 10 is actually an ok and somewhat new idea. We never really tried any other systems either, but i don';t think it would really matter compared to the created world atmosphere.

hehe
let's see what our parties consisted of playing/played: (main 5 parties, main 7+3 players) this is without the postapoc campaign which has a complete overhaul of the class system from d20 modern)
3 cleric human
9 rogue halfling, elf, dwarf, 6 human (1 assassin , 2 negotiators, 4 rogues, 1sage, 1 crafter)
1 druid human
2 wizard elf, dwarf
3 bard elf, dragotaur, tribalhuman
1 paladin human (fell)
5 fighter 2 human, elf, halfelf, tribalhuman
1 psion human
3 sorcerer 2 human dragotaur (1 with barbarian stats)
1 ranger halfling
2 barbarian 2 human
1 warlock human (fighter/sorcerer)
1 spirit shaman human (druid with sorcererlike spellcasting)
1 monk/psion elf
1 monk/rogue human

all in all heavy leaning towards human, rogue is explainable due to the many 'classes' that need lots of skill points, plus we feel a little less for the 'copy' classes, like pallies, monks, rangers etc.
(dragotaur and tribalhuman are custom races, i didnt make the racial Q-H human/elf/dwarf splits for comparison (or prestige classes or very late multiclassers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:27 am 

Exalted is fantastic if you're a) a fan of the storytelling system (a version thereof at least) and b) like anime/wuxia. If so it's a great game. We mostly play first edition because the second edition rules are a bit more complex, especially where combat is concerned. And more complex combat is not something my group appreciates. But the second edition rules are better balanced if that is important to anyone.

It has classes (well castes), but those are fairly meaningless. They indicate what your character has a talent for, but not what your character is actually good at. So it is, for instance, quite possible to belong to the thief-like caste and suck as a thief but be a butch fighter. Or a sorcerer.

As for the new WoD, I actually like that they removed a lot of the clans. But where Vampire is concerned, all the bloodlines make up for it. There are still Malkavians (although a bit different) and Toreador. Haven't looked to closely at Werewolf so I can't comment on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:11 am 

Spider wrote:
As for the new WoD, I actually like that they removed a lot of the clans. But where Vampire is concerned, all the bloodlines make up for it. There are still Malkavians (although a bit different) and Toreador. Haven't looked to closely at Werewolf so I can't comment on that.

I know they kept the Malkavians, I just hated how they screwed them up. Played one of them... just wasn't the same. Plus game where the 'extra'* races outnumber the actual main races is a bad sign IMO.

*means bloodlines and their ilk like Fera in Werewolf

-Rachel Duncan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:49 pm 

D. Sauzi wrote:
I understand your feeling about the rule system, but i dont think rules interfere much with roleplaying when you have an experienced group of players that will not use that for their own good.

True. But this could be said about any system. If the group cares more about roleplaying than dice rolling, the rules don't really matter much. But since we do use the rules, we prefer having rules that are simpler and more streamlined, while yet being flexible.

Also, most of us are not fans of the class based system (or levels) nor do we care at all for any of the D&D worlds save Planescape. So it's simply not for us (we did buy D&D 3E when it first came out, tired it and discarded it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:26 pm 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
I do play some at times. But only 2 times this year and none last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:00 pm 
Editor

I haven't played PnP for... well, do a couple sessions, everything from memory with a guy beside me at work when we were supposed to be working count?

If yes, then 3 years ago.

If now, then probably 12 years ago was the last and just a 3 person group.

Teens/early 20s though, we mostly played DnD, I stopped when 3E came out. Played some Rifts, Palladium, Robotech and once even tried Marvel Superheroes.

But, it's been awhile.

And btw, wow! Fluffy and Ls in the same thread, two cats dragged in at once. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:09 pm 

Hey, don't forget about me. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:43 pm 
Patron

Spider wrote:
Hey, don't forget about me. :P

You are not a cat. You are a spider ;)

Never got to play PnP except some fumbling around for a few weeks with the original D&D (red boxed set, levels 1-3) :)

I've read a lot of source books and rules books over the years, but never found a group to play with :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:41 am 

I thought Fluffy was a sheep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:26 pm 

Spider wrote:
I thought Fluffy was a sheep?

I'm anything you wanna be. :wink:

gawd that was cheesy but I could resist

-Rachel Duncan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:29 pm 
Editor

That was very cheesy. Makes me wonder what other types of role-playing you're into.

BTW, you're 5 posts away from passing ImOnWagner. Keep it up! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:26 am 

who, me?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next