Your thoughts on women in RPG:s

Online role playing, nerdy, not naughty
Firstborn

Your thoughts on women in RPG:s

Post by Firstborn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:30 pm

I red up on a few views on female players in RPG:s (the pen and paper kind) in a Swedish forum recently. While doing so I came to realize that I'm curious to know how gamers in other places of the world look at it.

So, what are your experiences and/or thoughts on how women/girls play RPG:s? Do they differ from the way men play, and if so, why?

I'm very curious to know if things are different out there across the globe.
Come on now, don't be shy! I don't bite. :)
"Love isn't blind, it's retarded!"

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Re: Your thoughts on women in RPG:s

Post by Jan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Firstborn wrote:Come on now, don't be shy! I don't bite. :)
Ffffeh, then what's the point?! :wink:

I am not really sure about online RPG's, because anyone can pose as a female.. like any 47 old truckdriver.. but in voice-enabled gaming it's 'sometimes' quite nice with the mixed sex, but it can be quite revolting sometimes, because they add a strange cuteness to the game.. I have played a MUD for years where a woman were in charge also and maybe she just didn't like me very much, and that was apparently a lot more important than between males.. it wasn't very nice and she was quite a ruffian. It's too few experiences, so I am still undecided.

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Lol! Well, if you ask nicely, I can. ;)

"Strange cuteness"? How do you mean? Like fluffy bunnies or cutiefied plot twists? This caught my interest! :)

And true, women often do find the liking part quite important, but taking it out on someone in a MUD strikes me more as childish than womanly really. But, that's me.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:29 pm

I'll all for women in rpgs. I've played with a few. I usually like being the doctor or the slave master and they're the... oh! Pen and paper rpgs. Sorry.

Seriously, you were waiting for that so now that it's out of the way...

I've nothing against women in rpgs. There are very few in my experience. I've only personally known a couple that play. Never understood why it was male dominated since there are so many female fantasy artists and authors.

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:51 pm

LOL! Honestly! You caught me off guard there. :D But hey, I'm not one to judge.

And when it comes to the women (not the one fraternizing with the good doctor or slave master, but the pen and paper playing ones) did you think they differed in their way of playing compared to the guys?

And for statistics and kicks, how's the ratio out there? 1 to 10? 1 to 100? Curious to know.

Jan

Post by Jan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:55 am

It's still very much a man's world, even though some people seem to think that it's ok to turn 'us' into babysitters.. it's not! Kids should not be allowed to play online computergames until they are finished with school and in their twenties.. oops, I rant, sorry, cut.

Well, that strange cuteness.. it's a.. sometimes cuddly sweet element, that pops-up like hugs and kisses and implicit pinkness.. "I think he's cute".. erm.. uh, okay?!.. usually chit-chat, but you never know.. it's a bit complicated sometimes..

In RPG it's often more serious with a strange alien kinkiness, but less liberal and less humorous, more so than males, as if they feel that they have to prove something.. but it's kinda nice for a change.. but then again this is my limited experience and still in regards to online play. It could be that it's just my imagination, but it feels as if the game changes from being just a matter of fun into also being a bit of an exercise in politeness and erm, philandering, because it's also about making friends on a whole different level.. all of a sudden.

I have attended a few online weddings on aforementioned MUD.. it kinda emphasize the nature of erm, mixed teams.

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:27 pm

"a strange alien kinkiness"? :shock: What games are you playing? ;)

And this alien kinkiness statement brings me to ask: How do the "guys only" gaming go about it then?

And by "less humorous and less liberal", and "more serious"... How do you mean? I have nothing to compare it to, so I'm not sure what to make of it. ^^

Jan

Post by Jan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:15 pm

Mindgames obviously, Hehe.. :P

To address your initial question, there should be more and less. More, because the more the merrier and vive la difference and less because the alpha-males can be quite distracting. :wink:

But, how do you feel about chainmail bikinis and stereotypes in play? Role-playing And mixed teams in RPG's?

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:10 pm

Goodness! I could write an essay on my thoughts on women and RPG:s. No kidding. ^^ But I'll spare you and keep it as short as I possibly can. ;)

But first: Chainmail bikinis looks really uncomfortable and stereotypes are really boring and uninteresting.
But hey, If there was an RPG-book littered with half naked men, I'd buy it. So I can't really blame the boys for falling for the chainmail-chick trick, now can I? ;)

And on to the playing:
I don't play MMORPG:S or any other online RPG:s, so my experiences are mostly from the pen and paper world. And I've played and GM:ed mixed groups. I don't care weather you're male or female when playing. Hell, most of them change sex when making their characters anyway. ;) It's what kind of player you are that affects if you're a match with the group or not. And there's a while bunch of different gamers.

I've seen a certain predominance of men when it comes to liking analyzing and optimizing rules and strategy gaming. And, as prejudice as it sounds, I've noticed more women than men to like the a bit more social gaming style.

But this is pure generalization of cause, there's quite a few female analysts gamers and a a whole bunch of men preferring the more interacting emotional gaming style.

And since humans (more often than not) are not hermits, but social creatures, friendship and other bonds will inevitably be formed sooner or later if you stick together for a while. Even if on a MUD. ;)

And on the question on how I feel about role playing?
I think it's really fun! As long as it's not dungeon crawling. Tried it a few times, didn't like it. Too predictable and unchanging plots for me.

Hm. Turned into quite a mass of text that. Oh well.

Jan

Re: Your thoughts on women in RPG:s

Post by Jan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:30 pm

Firstborn wrote:I red up on a few views on female players in RPG:s (the pen and paper kind) in a Swedish forum recently.
Btw, that's a pretty colourful language you've got.. did you mean that you read them or that you got infuriated by them? If it's the latter, how about a link?

Firstborn wrote:Goodness! I could write an essay on my thoughts on women and RPG:s.
Well, Josan is always looking for stories for the ezine, so don't hold back now.. GO-GO-GO!! :wink:

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 am

Well, I do like the color red. But true, I lost an "a" there. ^^ And here is the link:
http://forum.sverok.se/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26453

It's in Swedish, but I vaguely recall you mentioning you decipher the stuff.

Hm. Hadn't thought of that really. Maybe I will. :)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:28 pm

Hmmz, too bad i couldnt jump in on this earlier, but i'll tell you a bit about dutch experiences on this.

First of all, on ratios, i guess we're doing okay here, in the south and west its pretty much a nerdy male thing, lets say 1 in 10 there, in the east and west, for no obvious reason, its better, like 40% maybe. This makes student-cities, like Utrecht were i live, somewhere in the middle, i guess about 20%. It is somewhat of a high education thing as well, to that seems to apply to east and north less as well.

As for playing style, there are indeed some major stereotypical/generalized differences. One you pointed out already, males often care more for the numbers than females, both when it comes to rules as when it comes to gaining levels / items, to nick a joke from OotS, they want a boots of speed, they dont care for the color it has. There's another one of these stereotypical things, women seem to like shopping more, for instance on character creation, i've seen many a female spending loads of time pondering on the tools&equipment table, pondering which outfit to take, whether they need a mirror or a personal goblet, while males just pick the signal whistle and race off.
In that sense i think you're right, men care more for the numbers, or better said, the abilities, they want to have a monk that can swing trough trees, or a barbarian who can wield a greataxe in one hand, those kind of 'cool' things. Women on the other hand seem to go more into the personality thing, they name their animal companion and give it some characteristics, or they take the leadership feat and build up a second, realistic, character as cohort. Of course thats generalizing a lot, i've met girls who like to arcade-style dungeon crawl as well. Oh, and males liking rules doesnt necessarily mean they like powergaming, many of the players i know, including me, underplay their characters, or deliberately choose penalties, or spend their money on useless but fun equipment, its more that the equipment is rather vanilla, ie its a pound of soap, not green and herb-odored soap.
As well, i think there's a tendency in males to take more risks, you see them jump into shark-pools or making mages with single-digit hit points, females in my view tend to follow a more realistic road, trying to have a place in the world, a home to go back to, not buying a new horse every hommlet you pass, stuff like that. Maybe there's also a difference in the crazy-ness factor, if its about robbing a bar and heading for the next town, or buying a mirror thats in love with your character, that seems to be male more often.
note that i see little difference in the amounts of creativity, treasure-fondness or being treacherous, hmm, maybe i've even met more treacherous female players. Oh, and on chainmail bikini's, even though they might seem stereotypical, i still have to meet my first. I'm not sure what you mean with social gaming btw, ie ingame, or outgame, but if its outside the game, its more a mens thing as well it seems, the women i know playing come to play, the males are there as well for drinking beer and talking football.

[edit] Oh, and come to think of it, if you like playing and DMing, would you maybe like to play in our online D&D campaign?, we could use the new players. Though i must admit, the campaign is more of an arcade style, mainly for two reasons, first is the amount of time, since preparing more realistic and deep storylines require many more hours, and considering the tempo we're going and the players coming and leaving you never know how long the game will last (and i'm not willing to put to much effort in it, cause that would prolly leave me unsatisfied). Second, i doubt whether the format is fit for deeper questing, the tempo is quite slow, which makes people forget whats happened, and the alternating players make consistency a hard thing, plus the sequential way in which such a thread-campaign goes makes deeper social questing harder. That doesnt mean there are none or few puzzling, exploring or social encounters, it just means the builtup relations are shallower and especially more short-term. [/]
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:36 am

Very interesting to read. Thank you! :)
It's fascinating that the ratio changes after region, I must say.

And by "social gaming" I meant the social interaction of characters in game. And also a bit more tendencies to feel things in the game, not just act out their characters mannerism and dialogs.
Did that explain it?

And about the shopping: Me, I'm more interested in the plot and my characters place in the story than shopping skills or nifty goblets of the immortal. ;)

And I agree that both sexes are equally vicious, treacherous and full of ingenuity.

And I do really like both playing and being a storyteller, so thank you kindly for the invite. :) But I'm afraid it's not a way of playing that I would enjoy much. Cause both when being the storyteller and a player, I'm more for the character exploration kind of games with a lot of subplots. Which is unfortunately very hard to achieve in a forum based game. But again, thank you. :)

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:58 pm

girls are pretty useless in roleplaying. they never get whats going on and never want to kill anything.
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:16 am

SPJ, I'm slightly disappointed. :( You're becoming predictable...