"bowl world" lore and other

Online role playing, nerdy, not naughty
Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

"bowl world" lore and other

Post by Marcus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:57 pm

I been DMing a setting who was built from scratch, from nothing but "stone age technology" and humans. Which ended in a setting growing from what the player(s) did. How they acted and what they achieved if they achieved anything. Like the player I had bringed in to vote for a ruler and abolished slavery, slayed the old "Tribal king" and turned towards the dwarfs and a evil race of elfs while saving a very small and dying clan of dwarfs.

Interesting setting to me and fun to play in cause I know it inside out more or less on the parts I created and thought out. I wont be able to give it the proper presentation in english sadly, cause this down here is full of errors in grammar, spelling and seemingly I bet its cliché a lot. But im proud of this and maybe I volunteer to DM if anyone feels interested. Im looking at you Sauzi! Maybe you need to do some playing inbetween being a DM :P

Also gives me some room to just write up some silly Archive entry.

I can spoil that the world is very varying in technology, from 1500 tech to iron age. It is after all the time after a "apocalypse" more or less. Like a very bad ice age or something that struck long ago. Which ended in the humans being a miserable bunch living almost like savage in some mountain valleys and plains by the sea, not knowing of the old empires and species still struggling after the ice age (if I decide on that) who released itself not that long ago. This was a creation to explain why one of the largest nations only have aprox of 120.000 inhabitants as of what is known when it could have ten times if not a few tens of millions of population.

Documentary of the Ytgar Leatherer, archivist of the iron-chemise

Upon studying our very brief history on this large isle many events has occured.

The great "leaving" from beyond our old mountain home, to the conquest of the dwarven lands of where now our central city lays. The struggle to form our current rulership and the conflict over slavery which ended in a fifth of our population left, now many years ago to colonise the northern islands, over holding slaves. A simple people I pity, they bring strength and power to the battlefield but they lack brain, logic and common sense. Slavery abolished by the great hunter, he was not a leader but he bringed new thinking to our tribes.

As we layed down our first stones our horizon would grow, we would meet many people. The puny, weak pathetic elven king in his grand forest. Letting the Dvergheim dwarfs come to his lands, to kidnap and rape with bandits in their leige's army. We, we drove them away. Their new king, who reuinted the elfs after the murder of their last is a stronger man, a visioner of absolute supremecy, hopefully aiming to crush the remains of the dwarfs and to expand upon the dead fields even more then he just have on the cost of dead human warriors. Although, he did save the fields from being retaken by the dwarfs but a quarter to a third of it was demanded in return for him massing one of the largest armies ever seen. But Helarathyr of the elfs, still prove to be a formidable ally of rivertown.

The men of the sea is also a very odd races, they look like us but brown to the skin. They came with large grey horses with one tentacle between their eyes. Building small settlements and using their rods of thunder against any defensive structure in their line. The elfs are seemingly in a conflict with these and been so for some time. The men on the deadfields spoke of the dwarfs in the last war, using the thunder rods against us. But how could we been so far away from these events for so many years? Hundreds of years behind in development of weaponry, agriculture and similar. I been inside some parts of the elven archives, which I where to write about in this entry. Deep in their kings forest they keep thousands of shelfs, maybe tens of thousands of old archived documents, books, pargaments and so on. Seemingly there once was a large nation united under three cities. A tall, pale people much like us "Humyr" as they call us. But it the nations or cities would come to an end, the deadfields recieved the name from this as it once held a blooming enormous city. From where we found the living dead in old crypts when we found it. The elfs speak of three crisis striking ending these three settlements and erasing the "empire" as they called it from the history.

One of these towns we humans control, but it is but a ruin. A plague struck the province of he deadfields, which today again is a blooming farmland, had it not been for the Dvergheim invasion. Non the less the ground is very fertile and I deeply understand that others which to use this land. Non the less, these documents are not intact and the elven archivists pick what I may read. Im curious of the parts they leave out of this event but I cannot demand them or force myself inside. A larger diplomatic insult is hard to find. They do look upon their archives with pride and a deep protective thinking. Something must have happended beyond the plague, the elfs must know. And this race and a few more is much like us humans, there must be a tie to this. A archivist did by his own explain to me that some remenants of the old empire still exsist, some united themself with local natives in a few areas to fight of a minor elven domain while others struggle inbetween themself for supremecy of what remains they have while others aim to restore the old nations but are in deep need of help since their land is dry and dead. Far far away from our lands the elf said.

They are still around but I am sure they lost their old ways more or less, fighting over remains like rats running over table to eat what little meat there is on a eaten boar. Should one pity them or find them pathetic?

Something in these elven documents, I can only translate as the big crisis, the enormous event and the icy flood of the devine. When I ask the elven archivists of this they turn silent and continue on with whatever they did before I disturbed them. They ignore me, they do not answer. But there is still many documents we may use, still so much to find in here. The archives are rich on information about the Ilurni, The goddess-queens people and the Alg-Tha'l pirate among other tribes and natives of diffrent places. I notice how proudly the elfs speak of exiling the elf witches many many moons ago. Interesting some of documents speak of sightings of "witch elfs" with long dark hair and powerful heretical energy useage in the western parts of the large isle we live upon.

D. Sauzi

Re: "bowl world" lore and other

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:12 am

First of all, well written, I like the first person perspective.

Of course it takes a bit getting into with the translated stuff and the lack of interpuncture (never thought i'd say that eh Josan ;)), but once past that i like it a lot.
In a sense that's what i've been looking for all along. I offered myself as an arcade style DM because we all wanted to play in the day, but if there's someone willing to take up the glove of more story-centered rpg-ing I'll happily play. About playing a bit in between DMing, yes, like every DM i grow a bit weary of it after doing so for a good while, good guess. A break wouldnt be uninteresting indeed.
On the other hand, the upcoming Mansion Club encounter is one i've been preparing for a lot and looking forward to control a lot. It's also large, with our pace i slimly hope it might take a year, but yes, i'd be welcome to a break after that.

Are we to play these humans, or are those lovely brown skinned tentacle guys up for grabs as well?
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:28 am

After the mansion sounds fitting ;)

You may play a "brown face tentacle face" x)

I stolen some real life "races". In this setting the "indian(India)" is the colonising, "high tech" race.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Among the people of the known world the elves seem to be one of the oldest races. Much like humans they come in many shapes and colours but many of them are bound by old traditions and honourable history. The proud elves of Avariend forest, one of the largest forest known to mankind houses the royal elfs themself.

Their king operate from the glades of this forest, he is the ruler and protector of all elves. But like with us humans, he do have enemies among his own kin. There is also rogue elfs among the elfs, those who turned from the king, not in anger or fury but to be their own ruler. Some even proclaim there to be other elven kingdoms that operate with their own king or queen, what else to call it I do not know. How many the elves are is hard to know, they are so many and their domain is vast and enormous. Their claims are hundreds of years old and some are even thousands of years old according to their own documents, written in old elven that seemingly no one speaks anymore.

Their current king is also one of expansionism, retaking old claims and driving away other races who stepped into these grounds. He is known to not have a keen eye on the "hunters settlement" the great hunter founded when he left his wife and family behind to mate with a elven woman of the more "tanned" kin of the rogue elfs of the west. Since then many Avariend elven women has gone there or so some rumours proclaim. Only elven women go there and only some men of old hunting and warrior tradition enters the large forest which no one, not even the Avariend enters. Nature spirits of seduction and similar been said to roam the forests, some even say the great hunter once bringed a lone woman to a border village. In the next year it was gone, they proclaim the lone woman was one of the seduction nature spirits.

Non the less, the small settlement from what I picked up in rumours and similar is said to put an end to any male who do not fit the tradition and courtesy of the forest. I ask around the hunters up in Streamtown (altered the name in english) but they laugh at me. The archivists ignore me and most people speak of ghosts and devils roaming the forest, that no one can live within it. Some reports from fishermen speak of snow from the mountains to the west of it, by summer time. All of it adds up to people not entering this mysterious forest. Nor do I, is it true then I will die. The mountains to the west seems to contain ruins of a very large settlement. I only spoken to daredevil travellers on my journeys and I only been a slight bit into the darkfog myself. Something very odd has happended there but one can see old columns standing on the side of old worn roads. The design much like that of the ruins found in the deadfields.

The dwarfs are neither happy about speaking of the Mount Shadow nor their own vaults in the mountain rich region. That is not odd, the darn Mount Shadow errupted and put their surface settlements under ash rain for years by now. Bitter they be but they are still a formidable ally to the humans and good at keeping the marsh troll at bay with their heroic efforts at the keep. I shall travel north west now, past the marshes, hopefully I survive these troll infested regions. I shall visit the free towns and see the old kingdom ruins. I am curious how such a well organised structure can collapse to one invading horde of troll. Built from colonists who left Steamtown to find new lands for seeding. In a hundred years they had grown fast, their agriculture well advanced and their keeps was strong. Some even feared it would drive Streamtown into a state of decay and unimportance. But a twist of fate had a enormous horde walk north and over the mountains, coming on both sides of the river, avoiding the forts and pillaging the countryside. The keeps was built to atleast hold one side from a invading force, they where ready for it, not just ready for a foe who did not fear anything to loot and ruin whatever came in their way.

The only reamins lays beyond a mountain chain and is today known as the free towns. Traders and similar hold the control. They trade with anyone, ally with no one.

My journey continues.

Free archivist and historian. Furlin Baker

Just some lore, some lore that is not really known, but for the player it can be teased a bit :)

Also the human names are built from early tradition when they where in tribes called after how they looked or what they dressed in. This continues into these days, Furlin Baker is called Baker cause his father was a baker.

Erlan Fisher is from a family known for fishing, Erik Largefist...well obvious, stupid names but simple. Like what they call areas and places aswell. Streamtown is built around a stream. Free towns are free towns, West forest lays west from where the namegiver lived for example, west westrn forest exsist aswell, the forest west of western forest. A misspelling to show that its humans behind the whole naming thing, humans in a rather young state (or return) to the world where its pretty much chaos and unorganised expeditions.

Scuse the bad english, not in mood to fix it now :P

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Sounds interesting still, i like the way of naming, it gives more of this stone age feel when places and such arent named around historic events and the like, its just the western forest, because it lies in the west, everyone knows that.
Like the faerie forest as well.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm liking it too. And Ls, your English seems to be improving. ;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Thank you, thank you guys :)

I do see some very weird use of words up there although. What was I thinking x)

I think I toss up a race list next.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:58 pm

The world is called "bowl" world since I consider shaping it like a bowl, as in the center of the bowl is colder while the edges, closer to the source of heat is warmer since I ended up having tropical isles and deserts on the edges.

A correction, seemingly the Avariend elf is part of a forest to the east of the human streamtown and north of the Kings forest. Damnity! I made a big error in my own setting! :P

Elven races:

Avariend Elf: Much similar to the larget population of Erathion elfs, seemingly also is the same kin but they emigrated to another part of the isle, building their own settlements and have their own leaders. But they see the elven king as their highest leader. Their numbers are a few thousand perhaps. Like the other elves, its hard to put a certain number.

Erathion Elf: The standard, royal elf. The largest group of elves, estimated to be about 12.000 in the forest atleast. The proudest and fairest of their kin. Named after a mighty and beautiful settlement.

Stardoors/gate Elf: A mostly extinct kin of the elfs, pale and darkhair. Bit taller then their cousine in Avariend and Erathion, their female has more curves then other elfs, might be an indication of mixture with another race somewhere along the road with all these factors. Only a few hundred is proclaimed exsisting after the great ruining war of their only known city, Stardoor/gate, named after its harbour and elven mythology.

Western elf: The dark tanned, brown eyed elfs of the west. More "tribal" and in lesser numbers then their more technology advanced kin. They are not dumb, simply simpler.

-

Dvergheim dwarf: These darkhaired, grey skinned by coal, ugly things was for long a harsh chain upon the many elven races about, they held fertile land and supressed even their own kin and was supporters of the Stardoor elf. Now locked inside their home, Dvergheim they are not often seen, tied to their enormous cavern systems they still seemingly can uphold their well trained army and now and then do raids, even war upon others. Tossed out of the "Great council" the elven king holds for their crimes upon the Erathion elfs and their allies. Sadly these dwarfs are to many as of yet for it to be safe to travel around their home, which has natural borders of old canals digged out long ago by the "old empire". Of late they also used troll-beasts and Maradaschi generals in their efforts to capture surface land again.

Ekhur dwarf: These red bearded dwarf was for long enslaved by the hidious elfs of Stardoor/port?) since of their mountain home had been haunted by spirits, by tradition and religion they could not interfere with such things and had to leave their mines and everything else behind. The mountain spirit slain by the great hunter opened up for a return, which the pale elfs did not enjoy. Ending in the great ruining of their fabled city. Only a few hundred is known to live today.

Timber dwarf: These dwarfs can one mostly relate to the Ekhur dwarfs. They are far to the south-west of Streamtown, having settlements on the surface where they build a lot with timber, unlike their other kin they tend to settle upon the surface often and willingly. Perhaps their mountain home on the brink full of dwarf?

-

Whaurat Wirgaut (farmers folk): This odd race is short like the dwarf, but thin and lack beard. Much browner aswell. They keep to the Easter fields, which is of course east of Dvergheim. Where they came form or what they speak is unknown. But Whaurat Wirgaut they say when one ask them of what they are. Some archivists proclaim them to be a population of escaped slaves bringed here by Ilurni, the steppe people or the Dvaurgheim dwarf. They mostly look to the farmlands upon Eastern fields where they look to get the best out of the plant life.

-

Ilurni, Steppe folk:

The men from the sea, Maradschi:

People of the Queen-godess:

Alg-Tha'l, the desert pirates

Since of my father crying that his "children" is not up the whole night I will put this on hold and wait and see what you think about the current races. I need to go find some more notes I spread around here and there. I need to move to my own place...

Here take some hastly made quotes to get a feeling of the Godess Queen/Queen godess

I am the queen of queens, the devine ruler of all islands! The nations I conquer in one of my incarnations tremble under my gaze, my powers are unmatched and I see all that happens. The Alg-Thal fleed from me and see where they are now, my old slaves ended up in a desert yet again, screaming curses! The legend say that I turned the very orb of light upon them and turned their newfound land into glass...the glass desert. Ah yes, a myth I smile towards hearing.

My people do my bidding, my people die to build more temples and statues in my favour. Even if their children die from starvations and lack of water, cause of what I build, they do what I say. My question is a demand, my answer is the truth, my beauty unmatched. I am the avatar of gods, the perfection of living. My army is both living and dead, all in between aswell. The filthy apes and powder using filth of the south cannot stop me.

The nation this woman rule over is the latest thing I added, a rip off or well atleast inspiration from Stygia/Egypt building up this desert nation, the largest and "greatest" of nations in size and population. One of three behemoths as of yet in the lore, before the apocalyptic ending, which consisted of the old Empire, The queen godess and the elven kings united people. Maybe its bit too extreme the quote although.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 am

The queen-godess domain is a strange nation, a vast desert bordering the jungle to the south of the ape-men, beyond that the people of the sea, or so they are called by the Streamtown citizen.

If you ever walk towards the borders of this strange nation you might see one of the Queen's border patrols, about half a dozen soldiers where one is a officer. Accompanying them is hunchbacked peasants in loincloth, dragging along two wheeled wagons and carrying shovels. Upon asking, if you ever do the officer will state that they patrol the border and are off to dig up graves for the dead. But you will never see any bodies along with them.

There is a priest in the queens court, a crook nosed man with glas helping his eye's to see. He calls himself Falla and he speaks of the current arranged relationship of the Queens general and the queen herself. It's proclaimed to be a relationship to ease the irritation in the warrior elite, the soldiers of the queens domain is becoming vary and in a state of coup. It is a precaution to make and the general or what now these savages of the queens domain call him is unknown to me. Non the less Falla proclaim that even if she proclaim the relationship is to ease the masses, the twenty to thirty thousand of the priest class is ready to raise arms to protect the queens purity and divinity from the hands of a murderer. Eighty thousand soldiers is proclaimed to exsist in the nation as of now.

Falla also proclaim that before the great purge and the cold there had been twelve queens of great victories, culture and domain growth. Only the "pale Empire" and the Alfir king and his united kin could match the godess domain. The next queen, the thirteenth in the row of great queen, of great avatars in the great godess name was to be the one to do even larger wonders. But a corrupt priest, Dakhar! The greatest of priests in his time manage, proclaimed to been with the Alfir witches magic to seduce the queen as she was ripe for the taking, about twenty to twenty five years of old Falla proclaimed. He made her pregnant and he continued to defile the godess avatar for many months before she gave birth.

As of this, the empire began to crumble. The ship makers, the Alg-Tha'l slaves broke free. Bless be the godess who cursed their home into desert. The people of the sea stopped trading and broke any form of vassalge, freeing their villages upon the jungle border. The godess domain was to see its glorious future with an even stronger avatar but it crumbled to one corrupt man. The whole purge and the cold started upon that day he defiled the avatar. The godess anger was unmatched by any other proclaimed false prophets and gods. Falla knows the current queen is strong and older then the last of the great queens. But he think there is a need for blood to solve the conflict, rather then diplomacy. If the highest in command of the military get into this devine relationship, it will only strengthen the warrior elite.

The story do sound bit out of order, I do not know if the Alg's new settlements got cursed upon finding them or how long they sailed. Was it before or after the great cold ended?

My journey continues.

Free archivist and historian. Furlin Baker

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:16 pm

The army that the elf massed to help us was enormous, combined this would prove to be the largest force seen in many hundred years. Two forces clashing over a field, dwarfs and the iron-chemise fought for long, the warrior elite soaked the land of iron and food. Poor farmers becoming poorer. Nor did it help that the so called saviours from the elven lands left a thousande riders behind. A thousand elf, a thousand horses and whatever spare hourses they had left on the old farmlands of the old empire. Staying there to "keep an eye" on the dwarfs sitting in their mountain-fortress. Of course it was up to the men of the field to feed these elfs and they did hand over a fourth of the fields to the elfs as a "gift" but of course the elfs had taken the field where the dwarfs had pillaged everything worth eating and had to eat the iron-chemise farmers growth.

Rumours spreading, the elven king was looking for any man that could carry a blade. He had come to a final solution, to get the peace he "wanted" he had proclaimed the dwarfs need to be removed from their fortress. He would rally ten thousand to fiftheen thousand men to enter the dungeon. No one in memory had seen an army of such force. No one even knew if it was possible to enmass such an army even with every man -and- woman that could swing a weapon combined on the great isle.

It was things like these that had many leave for new found places or to leave for new areas to explore or re-explore. The sinking isle was a newly found isle, atleast it was news and people was starting expeditions to go there. The war was over, the people was poor, the great mines of the south was closed due to events non had been able to forsee. Many rather explore the unknown then hand over their good to elfs, hand over their coins to their lords and hand over their sons to war.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:24 pm

I saw you'd posted in the RPG forum. I got excited. Then I saw what thread you posted in... *sniff sniff*

;)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:03 pm

on the other hand though, keep expanding this one, after the Mansion Club you're set to go as far as i'm concerned ;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:09 pm

I was to post then the people I played a game with complained on me taking time.

The old elven road been neglected by time and its last king, but since of his death the road been lifted back to it's old splendor again and a great guard has been founded and trained just to guard this long road. One tower every 2,5 kilometer stands proudly now overlooking the surroundings to the west of the road. The former towers been restored to their old glory and in between their old 5 kilometer ratio there been added a new tower at 2,5. They keep the dreaded creatures of the trolllands away from the elven trade route to human lands and to other areas of the isle. It is also a sign of where to not go past. The lands to the west of the elven mountain border is filled with dangerous and grim end. They did warn the damn men from the chemise but they did not listen.

The road has gained importance of late aswell as the elven port to the south sends many ships to the newly found isles in the south, southeast. The new elven leadership and royality is eager to return the elven to its former glory. Which in the future can prove to clash with more then dwarfs and the blackbloods, with their wide ambitions to expand and enrich themself.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue May 03, 2011 8:57 pm

Hello people, Pondering on what sort of campaign to run and what kind of ruleset. Any advices?

I runned it with the Swedish Drakar och Demoner and the GURPS system.

Also pondering on the name for the world/setting in itself. Nostal, as in Nostalgia! Nostal or Nostral I will name it and I am working on lore right now to flesh it out. I aim to make this something very fat ;)

So

Nostal/Nostral: The bowl world

and in Swedish

Nostal/Nostral: Bågvärlden

Båg/båge = bow, arch cause bowl in swedish is Skål and skål is also the thing you do when you strike glasses together in a salute/cheer. So that would be bit weird.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue May 03, 2011 11:53 pm

I don't really mind the system, though 3 / 3.5 would be recognizable, heard good things about GURPS, if you could provide some easy first steps i'd be happy to play along.

btw, is fat a word in swedish akin to cool/great or something, cause it is in dutch (Vet!) :D

Nostal and Nostral both sound great (vet!). If i have to say anything i guess that i actually dont really mind the actual meaning of words in titles, i rather care about the feeling it creates hearing it, to me both somewhat sound like a short for nostalgia, with the second adding some more mystique to it, but at the same time coming over a bit more cliché.