Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Adventure in Middle Earth
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:48 am 

So, since activity on this board is overseeable, would you people be interested in a little adventure parallel to our large campaign?

I'd like to try my hand at some DM'ing, just a little adventure at the start and then see where it goes from there. I'll use Middle Earth Roleplaying (MERP) rules, a simplified version of Rolemaster rules. No deep knowledge of LotR or Elvish languages are required though :wink:

Post subject: Re: Adventure in Middle Earth
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:13 am 
Editor

If we can't even get one rpg going consistently, how to you expect us to manage a second one? ;)

And Lord sadness... seriously, getting a little tired of you. You've been back for a week. You've posted about some girl you think was checking you out, you've posted about your own imaginary campaign world and you've posted in one of your own gaming review threads.

Let's be clear... I don't buy the "bad memory" excuses any more. I never did actually. If you can remember to visit the forums and post about your own little world, you can remember to post in the rpg discussion and play threads. The memory excuse stops working when you think "Gosh Golly Gee... there are little icons to tell you when new posts have been made and where they were made."

It's all about respect Marcus and you show very, very little of it to anyone else. So start showing some to dousi, Merlance, Runey and me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:49 pm 

Hmmm, I'd be interested Runey, however, Josan might be right.

In any case, as i noted a few times in LS' imaginary campaign world (:)), i'd like a little break from the DM-ing after the Mansion-quest we're doing right now. I offered LS the chance to hop in, but yours might be great just as well. From my view its simple, i'd like to play a character again sometime soon, don't really mind if its simultaneous or sequential.
Playing 2 or 3 things at the same time though might cause problems, we'd have to decide if we want to take the risk of bogging both (or all three) down to a réally slow tempo.

Of course, like i said there prolly half a year ago, the Mansion will still take some time, and as of yet we're still in a state of reconnaissance

[offtopic]On LS, i am starting to agree wholeheartedly, i've stayed diplomatic for ages, and as im typing i still feel like staying so, but Josan has a point. Before your holiday we already ranted about this to some length, with a great post from you (amongst others) as reaction. Seems the problem is right back again, I can imagine you feel the same about (some of) us regarding all things you''ve written yourself over time, but i think it might be a good time for you to be honest and blunt about how you feel about things. [/offtopic]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 pm 
Editor

I didn't realise our campaign so was active that you needed a break. ;)

As for Marcus... with Runey joining as a fighter, well, to be honest, we can move on with out him if he insists on being a jerk.

Merl is reliable as long as there's action in the play thread. Runey has a newcomers enthusiasm and me, well, I've been trying to keep this thing going all along. Only two reasons I keep the forums up are comments for the ezine issues and the rpg. So I'd like some rp action.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:14 pm 

So far so good. I can't say for others of course, but playing my Orc simultaneously to this little adventure wouldn't be a problem. I'm new at DM'ing mind you, and I guess you except maybe dousi are new at Rolemaster, so I wanted to keep things simple and fun here with an emphasis on storytelling. I can even pregenerate characters for those who wish.

And yeah LS, your posting habits suck :eyebrow: I understand you wanted to update your own thread, but posting a one-liner about your dwarf should have been doable.

Jaap, if wanna take a break for a while, maybe let us retire to some safe position and resolve this later when there might be more activity. Otherwise, I'm up for resolving this now, even if it's just 3 playrs + henchmen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:07 pm 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
I thought we were waiting for something. You guys gotten how far in 3 weeks?

Excuse me.

I will be blunt

When I wanted to stay longer at a place and roleplay, I got scolded.
So I stoppped making posts like that.
When I simply focus more on being the idiot fighter, I get scolded.

How should I act?

Rune can go ahead and DM his campaign, I am not going to.

1 july? And then you people complain on me at 15 of july? What happended between 1 and 9th? The day I got home.

EDIT again: I dont want to argue with you guys, I want to continue this RP. Really. This time I was waiting for you others to post. It been 4 weeks by now. I was not wanting to do the first post in a week cause of being gone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:52 pm 

Lord sadness wrote:
I thought we were waiting for something. You guys gotten how far in 3 weeks?

We were waiting for something... that something could have been you.

You're right tho, it's not just you. Being the newbie Idon't wanna bitch, but dousi could have thrown some more action (NPC's) our way, then Josan and I would have had a chane to push the story ahead. It all seems a little burned out right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:15 pm 

I although am very sorry that I been bit passive. I will try my best to not see it going this passive again and I look forward to see your middle earth game.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:16 pm 
Editor

Marcus... seriously. Tired of explaining and over-explaining. It's not just this one time, it's almost all the time. We post/play twice a week. Been that way for ages and ages. Or at least it's supposed to be. I've lost track of the number of times that I have to "remind" you to post.

We've had many chats, on the forums and via MSN, and it's always the same. Don't even get me going on all the other stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:28 pm 

Im sorry uncle Joseph :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:37 pm 
Editor

Here's a nickle's worth of free advice: Stop saying sorry and start doing the things that you say you're going to, when you're going to. Pretty simple, eh sunshine? Eh? Yeah, that's right.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:47 pm 

Sunshine? Sounds like a odd dogs name when you call a guy that!

Well yeah sure, I give it a try :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:24 am 

Hmm, let me start off by referring to special occasions noted in the "How much do you drink" thread, right now is one of those special occasions, or better said, just after one of those.
anyway, i feel like not postponing replying to all of this lovely content any longer.
(and yes, i am listening to ninety nine lofty balloons, more than once..)
/\ this is a disclaimer

Lord sadness wrote:
I will be blunt
When I wanted to stay longer at a place and roleplay, I got scolded.
So I stoppped making posts like that.
When I simply focus more on being the idiot fighter, I get scolded.
How should I act?

Not sure if that was more honest than blunt. In any case, i hope i've never scolded you on the first. I remember one big exposure of such, when you went off with Erisael to get some booze for the dwarf atthe graveyard, and i enjoyed that a lot.
How you should act? First of all the way you are. Second, try to evade one-liners while still keeping the idiot fighter idea alive. Do this via described text, like describing the way you react physically to things presented to you without speaking up, et cetera. I guess you know what i mean, you've dm'ed yourself after all; If you play a dumb character, that's great, but you need to define him outside of character text if you go that way.

Joseph wrote:
I didn't realise our campaign so was active that you needed a break. ;)
//
Runenklinge wrote:
Jaap, if wanna take a break for a while, maybe let us retire to some safe position and resolve this later when there might be more activity. Otherwise, I'm up for resolving this now, even if it's just 3 playrs + henchmen.

Hmm, i didnt mean it like that. I made a post about this in LS' campaign thread. Its not so much that i am tired or need a break or something. (Woohoo, honesty and bluntness!) reasons:
1) I want to play a char again
2) I need to get some writing done for after the mansion
3) I love my mansion, i want to play it out before i "take a break"
4) I notice myself posting less on the forum because there's work to be done on the RPG thread.
Hmm. I guess 4) should be 1) (or 0.5) :)); My main problem is i find myself mingling less in the other parts of the forum due to the 'work' needed here. It's been ages since i posted about things during the week, games, football, series i've watched, countries that have been bombed, etc. I am catching up a small small tad due to having a very rainy summer holiday, but its not what i was like a few years back.

Runenklinge wrote:
You're right tho, it's not just you. Being the newbie Idon't wanna bitch, but dousi could have thrown some more action (NPC's) our way, then Josan and I would have had a chane to push the story ahead. It all seems a little burned out right now.

Hmm, i guess you're right i fear, but i've tried my best in a way. Every mansion location the party has visited i pointed out one or two people standing out of the crowd., indeed though i havent pressed them unto the party. My thoughts were, especially with the tour happening and the scout-around at the same time, that having all of those have a line or interact would come over a bit chaotic. Short-term memory in RPGs is short from my experience, one shouldn't introduce too many NPCs at the same time or you risk noone being recognized.
Combining those two led me to describing most who you've passed with just descriptions. However, there's been interaction with the suited quintet outside, the prince was sitting next to you on the balcony, one of the jugglers went after Erisael, and of course Juan led you around and introduced you to the different dancers.
Indeed, i guess there could have been more interaction initiated by other decribed NPCs, could have made the introduction better even, but i feared of doing so because of tempo. The tour isn't even done yet, the party still have a few areas to visit while we're weeks in.

not exactly any one wrote:
I'm new at DM'ing mind you, and I guess you except maybe dousi are new at Rolemaster && HAMSTERS!!

Never heard of the system, go for it!
I dont have that much DM experience by the way. I've started a campaign once midway the time we had a regular play group, but i botched it up quite a bit. I tried to translate a bit of James Barclays works into RPG. A series which is quite a bit of pulp, but i enjoyed the Raven a lot and part of me read their adventures trough DMs eyes, however, my party killed Xeris even before meeting Sha-Kaan...
I picked things up again trough some of our 20 man D&D weekends, some of those adventures you are living now, lovely (i hope) standalone stuff. I also, after having started here, took it upon me to DM the same story as here to a group of work-mates who passed our pace in an amazing tempo. I've quit with them by now, but i was amazed at how fast they caught up.
In any case, that's all of my experience with DMing, and from what i've heard in conversations, Josan at least has more, and LS might well too.

Did i mention i love hamsters? I don't, but i do love bouquets! lovely smelly bouquets!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:51 pm 

D. Sauzi wrote:
Hmm, i guess you're right i fear, but i've tried my best in a way. Every mansion location the party has visited i pointed out one or two people standing out of the crowd., indeed though i havent pressed them unto the party. My thoughts were, especially with the tour happening and the scout-around at the same time, that having all of those have a line or interact would come over a bit chaotic. Short-term memory in RPGs is short from my experience, one shouldn't introduce too many NPCs at the same time or you risk noone being recognized.
Combining those two led me to describing most who you've passed with just descriptions. However, there's been interaction with the suited quintet outside, the prince was sitting next to you on the balcony, one of the jugglers went after Erisael, and of course Juan led you around and introduced you to the different dancers.
Indeed, i guess there could have been more interaction initiated by other decribed NPCs, could have made the introduction better even, but i feared of doing so because of tempo. The tour isn't even done yet, the party still have a few areas to visit while we're weeks in.

Then the problem is probably that we players are waiting for more DM descriptions while you are waiting for more player action.

bouquets aside and back on topic, right now it's just a lvl 1 adventure, and a short one for that. If it develops into a campaign fine, but it's not what I'm aiming for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm 

I guess so. Thats a bit of a problem with a tour, or how i handled the tour. You guys seem to be on some sort of train and passing all kinds of lovely sights to see, but the windows are closed and you're belted to your seats as the ride keeps continuing. So too with the scout-about. Erisael/Hadija walking into the commoners bar themselves went better i guess.
This interaction thingy has been somewhat of a problem for me for a while already though. For instance with Erisaels Gather Info wants, I am hoping she picks one of the NPCs on the tour for it, while she probably hopes initiating a gather info want would cause one of them to come to her. Should get a bit better at that prolly.

In any case, tell me more of the system and setting, i have more than enough time to have my brain do stuff with that right now. Summer holidays are good for setting settings.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next