Potential new D&D campaign discussion

Online role playing, nerdy, not naughty
Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Re: Potential new D&D campaign discussion

Post by Magnus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:30 pm

Hmmm, I don't remember the particulars of the various ACs, such as where you add armour or dexterity or whatever, so can't help you there. For your melee attack bonus you should add your BAB (+1), strength bonus (+2), weapon focus bonus (+1?), and then your various penalties. I thiiiiiiink it ends up at a net +2 bonus.

As for the rest of your cash, I'd spend some of it on either beefier armour, or some sort of ranged weapon. Perhaps even both, if the funds permit such an investment.

And as for SR/DR, they're both zip, so that's pretty simple :)
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:36 am

I may need help with a 3.5E character sheet but trust in the gaming experience of your elders, youngster. I'm the second oldest after Gorth. I've played a campaign or two here and there.

I'm sticking with Studly Leather because of my high dex. With fighters, I've always ranked strength below dexterity and constitution. I thought about a chain shirt, which would give me one more to my AC but decided to save money. As for a ranged weapon, I'm tossing it around between a bow or maybe a hand crossbow. Either would be appropriate since my character's background is delivery boy/slash guard for my family's business.

Now, as for this weird 3.5 stuff, which is just over-thinking the plumbing in my opinion as 2E was a blast and we never felt ruled to death like these character sheets make me feel... My Base Attack Bonus is 1. I'm assuming that melee and ranged are just my strength and dex bonuses or should I be adding my other modifiers, ie; my feat modifiers so my melee attack bonus in that case would be 3?

Also, my flat-footed and touch AC are..?

It's possible that 3.5 isn't that bad and the d20 site we use is could be worded better as well and indexed better but it's still needlessly complicated in my view. *shrugs* :)

Oh, and I just messaged Marcus on MSN asking/telling him to get his character done by the weekend because really, other than dotting this and crossing that, you, me and Gorth are done.

Well, aside from the fact that I am still kicking around the chain shirt and ranged weapon bit. Stick with studly, afford a cross bow? Or chain shirt and short bow? But short bows are shorter than long bows... but I can't afford a chain shirt and a long bow because I'd be about five bucks short. Harumph.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:18 am

Joseph wrote:But short bows are shorter than long bows...
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:00 pm

I consider a cleric of some evil god. Just need a good example. That or neutral

I can go ape shit crazy and go with a Macalnthet follower, tiefling cleric! But well, tieflings in Ravenloft?

I need some examples!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:01 pm

We're not an evil party so an evil cleric would pose problems. Magnus' Psion is true neutral. My character will be either neutral or chaotic good. As for Gorth's rogue, I don't know his alignment but I doubt it'll be some sociopath as he'll be playing it more of a scout/spy than assassin/thief.

My guy has healing as a cross class skill, but just for basic first aid, stopping characters from bleeding out, etc. And if we're reliant on a fighter's healing skill and spending all our money on healing potions and wands, we could be in trouble quite often.

You could always play a chaotic neutral cleric, played like an insane doomsday prophet. That would actually suit you. ;)

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Josan, why did you pick dagger over short sword? Other than roleplaying, theres no practical reason not to go with short sword. Its d6 damage instead of d4. I guess if you were short on gold maybe, but even then you might still take skill focus and hope to get one.

Glad to see your character is done.

Three of you have done characters. Post something on the play thread. Rent a room in the inn, gather information, go shopping, whatever. You have a few hours before the meeting so get ready to go.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:12 am

Well, mostly done. I did ask a couple questions just up above about flat-footed and touch AC and if I'd filled this and that out correctly.

As for why I picked dagger over short sword for my off-hand. It's all about flavour, style, etc, etc. Plus a short sword isn't much different in size from a sabre/cutlass. If 3.5E calls it a "light" melee weapon, same as a dagger... well, that's just one more reason why 2E is superior. Have I worn out the 2E vs 3.5E yet? Cos I can go all day and night on that one... ;)

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:37 am

Touch AC: 10+dex, no bonus from armor
Flat footed AC: 10+armor, no bonus from dex and no dodge bonus (like the +4 dwarves get vs giants)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:42 pm

A Paladin of Tyranny do not sound that good and will prove troublesome with any good god.

So I feel pretty locked down on the supportive cleric idea here. Hoar maybe?

How am I going to make this character? Online book? How do we roll stats?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:47 pm

*sigh* Here we go again...

Marcus, how'd you make your last character. Odds are you'll make this one the same way. Might wanna check the sticky called "MERLANCE's Campaign Reference Thread".

My guess is that it contains a link to the d20 site we've been using for the last several years. ;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Im looking at it now but it do not talk about how I roll my stats. This is getting stressy.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:17 am

Marcus, the reference thread has the link to the d20 site. This thread contains the various questions and answers about this and that.

Standard roll 4d6, pick the best three.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:56 am

And if you don't have any dice... Dice Bag (from the reference thread)
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

:haha: Thanks

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:29 pm

So I got stats, feats, skills, saves. What else...equipment yes, how do we do with that?