Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 543 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: MERLANCE's Campaign Play Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:48 pm 

Title: Sorceror Supreme
Day 1: Noon

It all starts somewhere.

"Seeking mercenaries for dangerous task. Generous pay. Inquire with Henreich Smith at the Fiery Flux Inn at Eight o'clock of the 11th." You see the flyer posted on a job board just inside the city gates of the city of Foltzhausen. Whatever your reasons were for coming to this city, something about the posting catches your eye. Adventure, fame, wealth? Who can say? Either way, you need an inn for the night, and it sounds like as good as any.

Foltzhausen: a bustling port city and metropolis, home to tens of thousands of people. Certainly there are larger cities, but trade is the lifeblood of this one. All manner of ships from ports near and far arrive regularly to engage in commerce.

Beyond this, your knowledge of the city is limited. (No one has knowledge: local Foltzhausen, history, or geography so I only gave the basic info for it

You slowly make your way through the mass of people towards the inn. The flyer had a rough but accurate map for you to go off of, and asking for directions if needed leads you there in about an hour.

You are outside the inn. You know its probably best to get a room early should you choose to stay here, You dont all arrive at the exact same time, but you probably get there between 1 and 3 pm.

What do you do?

Post subject: Re: MERLANCE's Campaign Play Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:46 pm 
Editor

Josef is in Foltzhausen with a small caravan from his family's textile business. The posting for mercenaries catches his eye. While the rest of his caravan settle in at a different inn, and his father's top negotiator prepares to conduct business with the merchants (something which always bores Josef), he decides to follow up on the posting. Letting his father's employees know where he's going, he heads over to the other inn.

Once there, he orders himself a drink, makes small talk with the other patrons, flirts with the serving girls and waits.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:22 am 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Ara, being a rather simple, and boring man to be honest. Simply hires a room, buys the cheapest of food and drinks some cheap ale, goes to sit in a corner. Overseeing the inns service room. He do throw annoying glances at this lad who flirts with the girls (Josef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:49 pm 

The Inn has about 20 patrons eating and drinking. A menu is posted with pictures of the foods they serve. Haunches of meat. Sandwiches, stew, vegetables, sweetcakes, and drinks make the bulk of the menu, wi th very little variety on each catergory from which to choose.

Josef, relying on his natural charms with the ladies manages to get one of the serving girls to start flirting back a little. Her name is Klara, and she is certainly attractive, nimble, and intelligent. She lives in the inn, and is morning and afternoon serving girl. (for your flirting, rolled 14, +1 for charisma, 15 to turn indifferent to friendly. I just used a diplomacy check to see how well your flirting was recieved. Most people start out Indifferent, DC 15 to make them friend, DC 30 to make them helpful). He doesnt notice the man throwing annoying glances at him.

Josef, making small talk with the other patrons, manages to strike up a conversation with a man named Ernst who has stopped in during his lunch break from his job at the bakery down the street "Bread this, bread that, but I would rather have some more meat from time to time," he says as he continues to eat his stew.

Ara spends 3 silver for a room, 2 copper for cheap food and ale, and in general bores the other patrons with his nondescript actions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:28 pm 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
Arriving in the city, with a mule dragging a wagon full of assorted sundries (some valuable, others questionable, most deplorable), Konrad isn't slow in finding the inn. After all, he and his be-bandaged companion have been on the road for some time, and though Konrad has never been quite certain about his companion's motivations, he himself is looking forward to the many comforts of civilization. After all, those old bones of his have a tendency to creak when the weather turns foul.

"Make sure my mule is fed and cared for, and keep an eye out for my goods," says Konrad, as he tosses a silver piece to the stableboy "If it's not all there in the morning, this dangerous fellow with me will cut off your hand," says Konrad with a wink and a smile, which betrays more grim promises than it does cheer.

"So, friend Gorth, shall we see to some lodgings?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:18 am 
Patron

Well, Friend Gorth is checking out the back alley behind the inn, makes note of escape routes and where the best shadows to hide in are, should an expedient exit be necessary. Satisfied that he has found the optimal way to make himself scarce if it is more excitement than wanted, he slinks into the Inn, finding a place near Konrad, yet not openly keeping him company. Just sitting, observing the patrons, trying to second guess their motivations and using years of experience trying to guess who drinks to have fun and who drinks to forget secrets.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:52 am 
Editor

Josef enjoys his flirting with Klara and keeps it light-hearted. He is impressed with her but has no desire to push too hard. Knowing how often serving girls are bothered by pub patrons, he tends to follow a "less is more" approach. Feeling a bit hungry, he orders a light meal and continues eyeing the patrons, waiting to see who comes in and who may be associated with the posting. When Klara returns, he casually asks if she knows anything about the job posting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 am 

Gorth: The best escape route on the first floor is probably the front door. There is a back door but it is locked. The best escape on the second floor is through the window of one of the rooms, though you would have to squeeze through to get out as they are quite small. The best escape from the third floor remains unclear.

No one seems to be drinking to forget. Mostly it is people and their friends, or commoner families eating a midday meal. You do notice a rather nondescript man in a corner staring annoyedly at a young man who is flirting with a serving wench.

Josef: Klara considers your query, and replies "Heinrich Smith is a former adventurer who came to town about ten years ago. He lives in one of the higher class districts, I'm not sure which one. I don't know what this job is, though, maybe it has to do with the recent riots down by the docks? People just seem to be going crazy. Bloody business that, the last few nights the city watch has had to increase its presence, and I know a lot of people have died, many of them the sailors that start the trouble."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 pm 
Editor

"I've only just arrived in Foltzhausen on business," Josef replies. "I've heard nothing of this. What could be the cause? Trade wars? Exotic illness the sailors brought back from some strange land? Have you heard anything? This is most disquieting, for business or otherwise. And I certainly hope that you are safe, Klara and stay well away from the docks."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 am 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Ara eats his meal and drinks his "piss" ale as he looks about a bit annoyed. He clearly do not have a thing for flirty males but the talk about job makes his interest raise and he keeps an extra eye and ear towards Josef table.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:49 am 

Klara replies "Oh, I certainly wouldn't go down to the docks, even before the madness. You just got to town, so I imagine that you would not have heard of it. I know not was the cause could be, though I wouldn't expect petty mercantile squabbles to erupt into a nightly bloodbath. Regardless, I fully intend to stay inside tonight. This inn is one of the sturdiest buildings in the neighborhood, Dietrich the innkeeper had it built that way."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:58 am 
Patron

Gorth just sits quietly to one side, trying very hard to blend in with the wall, having the wall at his back and as much of the common room in view as possible. Patiently waiting for his travel companion to ferret out whether or not the advertised business proposition is genuine or just a scam to lure more customers to the inn. Those psionic powers must be good for something... or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:36 pm 
Editor

Josef finishes his meal and continues the light flirting and chatting with Klara while waiting for the prospective employer to arrive. He casually glances around the inn while he waits, eyeing the various other patrons.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:31 pm 

Several hours go by. People come and go.

At about six, the bartender leaves and is replaced by a rather rough looking dwarf, Klara tells Josef "Oh, that's Dietrich, the owner, he always takes the evening shift, as the customers tend to be more rowdy. If things get too out of hand, he can handle himself in a fight"

A little bit after that, business starts to pick up with more people coming in and going up to the bar, but also the occasional family coming in for dinner.

At about seven, you all notice what are probably adventurers or mercenaries come in together:

An attractive, young female gnome with an odd looking "crossbow" on her back, though it could barely be called such. None of you have ever seen anything quite like it, but crossbow is the closest approximation to what it is. (If its ever actually used, Ill give you a better description of it, but I dont want to give it away).

What seems to be a humanoid in red and black half plate armor, you cant see his or her face. The armor bears markings that none of you recognize. Konrad thinks that it might be a religious symbol though.

A humanoid, gaunt figure in a black cloak, bearing a scythe. (DC 20 spot check to get a better look at him under the hood, you all failed)

The three head towards the corner booth that Ara is not in, and which is currently occupiedby two men. The three stand there a moment, the two men sitting there stop their conversation, look up at them, and leave abruptly with what seems to be some fear in their step. The three then sit down. Ara thinks he heard the gnome snicker as the men ran off.

You have about an hour til your meeting time, if you had any last minute business you wanted to take care of, now would be the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:16 pm 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
Konrad wanders over to the bartender, and buys a pint of ale for himself. He finds the new arrivals curious, and decides to ask the bartender about them. Konrad asks about all the usual subjects - ie, who they are, who they work for, if they are known troublemakers, pretty much everything.

Konrad also tries to psionically charm the barkeep. (-1 pp)

"By they way barkeep, I'm a merchant dealing in luxuries, and I'll be doing a lot of business here in Foltzhausen. Could you open up a tab in my name, Konrad Velovich? I assure you, I'm good for it. (Bluff/diplo., +10)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 543 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next