MERLANCE's Campaign Discussion Thread

Online role playing, nerdy, not naughty
MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Re: MERLANCE's Campaign Discussion Thread

Post by MERLANCE » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Thats the main reason theres some extra "PC classes" about, in case someone dies.

Alright, how about this for healing: Any healing on someone at negative hit points automatically makes them -1 hp, unconcious, and stable, if the healing was insufficient to bring them to 0hp or higher? That way it takes at most two spells to get someone back to semi usefulness again.

And keep posting in the play thread,dont slow down because the fight is over.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Sounds good, and I'll post something tomorrow. For now, it's bedtime :)
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:50 pm

In Kurts defense, his first priority was to take care of the immediate threats to the common folk, as there were people working on the door, and there were zombies that were still rising. He didnt say anything when you told him to barricade the door because he doesnt talk much. That wasn't a case of me ignoring your post, it was a case of an NPC ignoring your orders.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 pm

To quote Scully: "Sure, fine, whatever."

I'm not debating or arguing. I made my point. It was simple and I simply incorporated it into my play post. When any PC addresses an NPC, there should be some acknowledgement. If there isn't, then either the DM missed it or the NPC is a dick. In this case it would seem the NPCs are all either cowards or twats. I could care less. It simply means that I don't have to worry about risking my character's life for any of them.
Merlance wrote:Josef, angrily walks through the inn, taking a moment to kick one of the downed zombies as he passes by on the way upstairs. There are a few commoners there, shell shocked, on the second floor, and a hallway with doors on each side, some opened, some closed. He doesn't see Klara there, so he grabs one of the men and shakes him, "The barmaid, where is she!" The man points to a door at the far end of the hall, and goes back to hanging his head. Josef walks to the door, and opens it. nside is Klara, sitting on a bed, sobbing and doing here best to clean her wound with a piece of cloth and some water. "My brother, I... he..." and trails off, back to her crying.
And seriously, please stop making decisions for my character. I should be the one to decide if I grab some poor shell-shocked bastard and shake him for information and while my character is angry, I didn't say I did that. This was my play post:
Joseph wrote:Josef, disgusted at the fact that the inn's patrons cared only to save themselves instead of helping the common cause, and that Kurt, despite being directly addressed, ignored him completely, casts one last look around the main floor, shrugs his shoulders and walks upstairs to survey the streets from a window with a higher vantage point and to see how Klara is faring.
Looking out a window, assuming there is one, to survey the situation was first, finding Klara was second. Instead of looking out a window then finding Klara, I'm kicking dead zombies and shaking people in shock. I've been mostly enjoying myself thus far but I didn't say Josef did that.

Do you have an issue with me? Does it stem from the fact that when these forums first went online, they were at gamertalk.biz and they were Valqorez's forums and he used to read people's PMs and somehow, because I was an Admin, with no server access at all, I got blamed for it? If so, that's pretty funny because when I got control of the forums and moved them to the WW url that was the first phpBB mod Spider and I removed.

Just asking so we can clear the air here.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Theres no issue. Youre just reading too much into it. I took some creative liberty based on your characters attitude toward the people there in order to move the story forward. There is nothing beyond that.

The only windows on the second floor are the ones in the room, so I got you to a room with a window and Klara so you could do both things at once.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:10 pm

*sigh*

I'm not reading into anything. I asked a question which means I'm not reading into it, not making an assumption, I'm trying to ascertain why your last two DM posts had my character doing something that I didn't state doing and that was the only thing I could think of.

So since that's cleared up no more creative liberties please.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:46 pm

As far as chronology is concerned, could we just put my attempts at dialogue after everyone has done their side errands? As important as the commoners are for our characters' continued moral health, I doubt their capabilities of moving the story forward :P
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm just waiting for Merlance to fix Josef's actions in his last DM post, ie; doesn't kick zombie heads or shake information out of commoners and instead looks out of the window to survey the situation outside, tells me what the scene on the streets looks like and then Josef finds Klara, before I can make a play post.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:09 am

There, I fixed it so you didnt kick a downed zombie or traumatize a traumatized commoner.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 am

And what do I see out the window? I can make another play post if you like but that was half of the stated reason why Josef went upstairs in the last post.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:43 am

Walls, doors, same difference. I probably should have said "dwarven construction"

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:50 am

Man, talk about hard decisions, I'm shivering in my pants. Merlance, just let me know if the timing is getting off somehow, or out of sync with the rest of the guys. I need a moment to think about what to do (well aware that time is a precious commodity right now). I'll get back to it tonight local time when getting home from work.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:37 am

MERLANCE wrote:Walls, doors, same difference. I probably should have said "dwarven construction"

Walls and doors aren't the same difference. One has a weak point due to something known as hinges. And dwarves are known for stone work, not wooden doors last time I checked.

And I was going to let things slide but since giving you legitimate feedback, which you asked for, seems to have no effect...

Point blank, this campaign started out as something fun. I no longer find it so. After the back and forth about interaction between PCs, NPCs, and the environment, you did it again. I made a moderately lengthy play post, physically and verbally interacting with an NPC. Nothing in your post acknowledged that. My character then came downstairs and addressed the situation as a whole, the condition on the streets being the primary point. Reinforcing the inn was secondary. Your DM post stated my charcter "says his piece about barricading the inn".

Really? Out of a six line post with separate and distinct points, Klara first, the situation on the streets and then reiterating reinforcing the barricades, you only caught one?

If it makes things simpler for you, I can just have my character grunt and groan and say "Ugh. Me attack thing!". After all, there's zero point in my putting any effort into my posts if you're not going to meet me half way.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 am

I just made it short, because most of what happened was stuff that was said, not stuff that happened.

I freely admit that I'm not a good dungeon master, but I'm trying to get better, thats why I'm running this game. I have a decent plot I think, but I have some trouble with the execution. I can run the tactical combat and strategy stuff well, but the NPC interaction has never been my strong point.

Also, last post would have been longer, except the Gorth part is going on in private messages. Ill post that interaction (assuming Gorth survives and tells you what happened).

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 am

Story-wise, yeah, I'm loving it. You've put good effort into the NPC mercenary party. I'm still very, very curious about the cloaked and armoured figures. The zombies, being infectious instead of normal was a brilliant touch that, as I mentioned earlier, made me as a player think "Oh, shit!" I just feel that you need to work a bit on balance as far as the interactions with NPCs and environment go.

Comparing your campaign with dousi's, I think dousi put in a tad too much detail sometimes and you're coming up a bit short at times. A happy medium would be perfect. I'm sure if the roles were reversed and you were the player, putting some decent effort into your play posts and a lot of things in that post weren't addressed you'd feel, if not say outright, "Hey, what about X, Y and Z? How come only "Y" was covered?"

I certainly don't think you're a bad DM. If I thought you wouldn't be good, I wouldn't have wanted to play in the first place. dousi told me a few times that it took him a lot of work with his DM posts and he wound up feeling burned out. I certainly don't want you going that route. Just simple, short sentences work.

If you don't mind a suggestion, how I would have handled Josef's actions, remembering Klara, the announcement of the street situation and the mention of securing the inn:

Klara, still sobbing, nods at Josef's words and whispers a quiet "Thank you". Downstairs, after Josef announced the situation on the streets, some of the commoners make shocked gasps while the adventures have looks of grim determination on their faces. Dietrich says his |don't worry, sturdy dwarven construction bit.

Not too much detail but it addresses each point briefly,