What Icewind Dale 2 should have been.

From the late, great studio that brought us together
choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

What Icewind Dale 2 should have been.

Post by choyrt » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:48 am

Alright, Icewind Dale 2 had the impressively implimented 3e ruleset, giving it play value. Also, the character portraits where really cool, if not interesting and the voice acting was, as always, top notch.

But all in all, it blew goats. Goats, people. It blew them.

The story was bland. The quests two dimensional. It was blatantly padded with monk 'challenges' and crap. The multiplayer was buggier than Baldur's Gate 2! And the music was a re-arrangment of the music from the first Icewind Dale, but by Corky from 'Life Goes On.' Oh, and they forgot armor. Whoops!

Sorry, I have issues with the second game and I'm harsh perhaps because the first is one of my all time favorites . . .

But what should the second Icewind Dale have been? Imagine a game that wasn't rushed, ad well thought out. Probably 3e. And perhaps even in the Mystary engine. Who would have done the music and voice acting? What kind of items and armor and weapons would there have been? Think of the potential 3d enviornments, snow, fog, rain, innovations.

So, what do you think?

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:24 am

IWD II was the first RPG I ever got into on the comp. So, my opinion is a little biased. *shrugs* It does seem a lot more boaring than the first one though, even though I'm stuck on the 1st chapter.

Probably one of those stupid things that you just 'forget.'

Anyway. I think IWD II could've used a few presteige classes, a lot more side quests that have nothing to do with the story line (so the game seems a bit less linear, even though that really doesn't effect it), and more variation in the weapons. Specifically, I think the monk could've used some sort of gauntlet or glove that did element damage.

Then again, I just got into D&D and what not this year so I'm under-educated. :-)
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:44 am

crazy.joe wrote:a lot more side quests that have nothing to do with the story line (so the game seems a bit less linear, even though that really doesn't effect it)
That's a biggie for me, and honestly it's a sore point for Icewind Dale 1 as well. Side quests with more freedom would have been majorly welcome.

Where are you stuck in Icewind Dale 1? The main town? Need help?

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:57 am

I'm stuck at the, uh, damn I can't think of the name. You go to a...tomb. There's lots of undead. I've cleared out as much as I could. Yetti's, everything. I got to a room where there's a 'broken' switch and some pillars and quite a few unlocked doors.

I haven't bothered with an FAQ because I've never thought of, actually. Heh.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Spider

Post by Spider » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:11 am

I thought it was ok. But the lack of armors were pretty severe.

And some higher variation in difficulty. As it was everything was moderately difficult, no more, no less.

Some areas should be real easy and some should be real hard (though not as insane as Undead Targos with a new party).

Another town would have been nice as well.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Silverbow

Post by Silverbow » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:41 am

If I compare it to the other two 3E games I played (NWN ak utter shit and ToEE which I got two days back and it managed to bore and annoy the crap out of me after three dialogues), IWD2 was good.

My main problem with it are several inane design decisions (especially time loop and battlesquares) and the utterly moronic and demented storyline that forces you to play Lawful Evil :roll:
[b][i]The sky shall rain fire
The seas will boil red with blood
The righteous shall perish
At the hands of the wicked
And all the world shall tremble
Before the star-spangled banner of America

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]

Spider

Post by Spider » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:15 am

Battlesquares was kinda fun. Insanely hard, but kinda fun. And completely optional iirc.

Silverbow

Post by Silverbow » Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:35 pm

It was hard first time through with my insanely MCed party with low CON stats that refused to use buffs :P

Nowadays it's an easy bore...

Optional? I want all the loot, so not really :twisted:

IF they wanted optional an challenging fight they should have included more Lost Followeresque stuff

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]

Spider

Post by Spider » Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:39 pm

I've only played through the game once, but the Battlesquare was too tough for me. In spite of having a single-class barbarian who didn't mind buffs duking it out.

He was handed such a beating in the end.

Though maybe it'll be easier the next tome I play (if I play again that is).

Silverbow

Post by Silverbow » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:35 pm

My current game is stuck in front of the Time Loop and somehow I don't want to go forth... :cry:

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]

silvar

Post by silvar » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:24 pm

what IWD2 needed:

1. More Gods
2. Abnormal weaponry
3. Mounts
4. To be made four years ago

twas the biggets disappointment I've ever had with a game.

feel sorry for me.

or yourself, whichever is best.

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:27 am

crazy.joe wrote:I'm stuck at the, uh, damn I can't think of the name. You go to a...tomb. There's lots of undead. I've cleared out as much as I could. Yetti's, everything. I got to a room where there's a 'broken' switch and some pillars and quite a few unlocked doors.

I haven't bothered with an FAQ because I've never thought of, actually. Heh.
You know, I think you're right before the 'wolf guy's' tomb in the shadow vale. Check the pillars at the center of the room . . .

As for Icewind Dale 2, I just fired it up again at work here and spent the past forty minutes making my party! WHOO-HOO!! But as I clicked done, I realized that it's all down hill from here . . .

Ewen Brown
Location: stalking tink to catch his invisible martian antenas at work

Post by Ewen Brown » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:05 pm

choyrt wrote:As for Icewind Dale 2, I just fired it up again at work here and spent the past forty minutes making my party! WHOO-HOO!! But as I clicked done, I realized that it's all down hill from here . . .
i'm thinking this is what will happen to me if i buy toee

i'll have an amazing time creating a party for 5 hours and then be stuck not wanting to actually play the damn thing
stupidity causes violence

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

Silverbow

Post by Silverbow » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:23 pm

Ewen Brown wrote:
choyrt wrote:As for Icewind Dale 2, I just fired it up again at work here and spent the past forty minutes making my party! WHOO-HOO!! But as I clicked done, I realized that it's all down hill from here . . .
i'm thinking this is what will happen to me if i buy toee

i'll have an amazing time creating a party for 5 hours and then be stuck not wanting to actually play the damn thing
That's pretty close to what happened to me... spent an hour making a party, then started game, went through two dialogues and all desire to play on left me...

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:09 am

Icewind Dale 2 should have had a story worthy of the improved gameplay. Icewind Dale 1 had a great story and was a good length, but was hampered by the old standard IE AD&D interface, whereas IWD2 had fantastic gameplay but a short and overall lacking story.
That said, I think BIS did a good job with a short development cycle on a project no-one really wanted to do.
I love the Icewind Dale setting, and enjoy playing in it, but I'd like a more immersive story than the one IWD2 offered up; something more interesting, engaging and compelling.