What do you like about PS:T?

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Amorghost

What do you like about PS:T?

Post by Amorghost » Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:02 pm

I really think this thread is necessary,but I hope it doesn't turn into flame war with the FO fans.Here the flame war ends,and the explaining begins.Perhaps a similar thread would be good in the Fallout forum.Anyhow,I only played Planescape.
What I really love about Planescape is it's depth.The amazing detail and originality,not only in graphics(yes I still enjoy the graphics:)),but also in the dialogues,the sound...It all adds up to an unbelievable depth as far as atmosphere is concerned.It is up to now,the most compelling,absorbing and convincing game I have ever played...I can get lost in it's world just by listening to a sound theme of the game! :)
There is a great douche bag locked inside me.

Spider

Post by Spider » Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:09 pm

Everything!

But maybe more specificically, I love the setting, the characters, the writing, the story, how everything comes together in the end and the philosphical questions the game asks and answers.

Like I said, everything.

I also loved the year or so spent at the Developer's Cage talking to other fans and the developers and working with The Pit (although it was mostly Calis) and the boards there as well as the dirty.org ones that were set up for North Shore afterwards.

It was so much more than a game...
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:25 pm

Like Spider, I'd have to say everything.

The music was great, the depth of npcs amazing and every time I encounter Deionarra's ghost in the mortuary I get misty-eyed.

Spider

Post by Spider » Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:28 pm

Not to mention Deionarra's sensory stone... First time I read it I started to hate myself for what I had done.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:39 pm

Yeah. One of the great things about PS-T is it's the first and so far, only game to touch a deeper emotion than gratification for beating it.

Mr. Insomniac

Post by Mr. Insomniac » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:20 am

Although it's tough to pick just one thing, because I think Torment really is the sum of all its parts, the quality of the writing, from beginning to end, is the best thing about Torment, IMHO. The story, the dialogues, the interactions, the way everything unfolds.

Other games I've played have had moments that I've enjoyed as much, but none carried me through the way Torment did.

Cladius

Post by Cladius » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:32 am

I think that the best thing with ps:t is the interaction with your party members. You could actually speak with them, and the things they said changed during the game and what they said mattered to you and the story.

Pandaman

Post by Pandaman » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:52 pm

The emotion.

And the high-level spell movies!
POWER TO THE PANDAS!!!

Sermon

Post by Sermon » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:31 pm

Josan wrote:The music was great.
Yes, the music was very good and Mark Morgan did a good job, but I must say that I enjoyed the "original" soundtrack for the game by Brian Williams much more. The "Planescape: Torment" main theme by Brian you can hear in the trailer for "Torment".

Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:32 pm

Sermon wrote:
Josan wrote:The music was great.
Yes, the music was very good and Mark Morgan did a good job, but I must say that I enjoyed the "original" soundtrack for the game by Brian Williams much more. The "Planescape: Torment" main theme by Brian you can hear in the trailer for "Torment".
Yeah, those samples that were leaked were truly great. Do you remember why they changed?

Sermon

Post by Sermon » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:47 pm

Spider wrote:Yeah, those samples that were leaked were truly great. Do you remember why they changed?
Guido Henkel, the producer of PS:T right until a couple of months before its release, was very fond of Brian Williams' work and contracted him for the soundtrack. A couple of people from the team weren't really happy with the work Brian Williams delivered and so they got rid of him and hired Mark Morgan instead, also quite late in the dev-cycle of the game. T'was a little nasty as far as I remember.

Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:03 pm

I guess that's what happens when you change producers...

Or maybe it was done before that. I don't remember anything about it though. I just recall McComb talking about the Williams tracks (I think he posted the samples as well) and being happy that people liked them since he was the one who introduced Williams to producers or something like that.

Then the new sound-samples were leaked and didn't sound anything like the original but no one never answered why Williams was replaced.

A shame really, I really liked what Brian Williams did.

Sermon

Post by Sermon » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:30 pm

Spider wrote:I guess that's what happens when you change producers...

Or maybe it was done before that. I don't remember anything about it though. I just recall McComb talking about the Williams tracks (I think he posted the samples as well) and being happy that people liked them since he was the one who introduced Williams to producers or something like that.

Then the new sound-samples were leaked and didn't sound anything like the original but no one never answered why Williams was replaced.

A shame really, I really liked what Brian Williams did.
The change happened before Guido left (as far as I remember, but I could be wrong). Guido wasn't exactly happy that they got rid of Brian Williams, also about the how and who. But like I said, I really enjoyed the Brian Williams soundtrack. I got to hear it when I was still working for BIS on Torment and IWD (on the german versions to be exact). I think the Williams soundtrack is somewhere on some Beta-version of Torment.

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:38 am

I'm not very far into the game, but I have to say it certainly lives up to it's reputation.
In addition to the strong story, fantastic NPCs, deep philosophical bent and other areas that have been nicely elaborated on, I'd have to say that what really makes it great are two other things. One, every little discovery is like a victory - I almost feel as though I've discovered something special, something hidden and never before seen. Second, is how wonderful it is to not have to fight everything you come across. Rather than fight, you navigate a story which is far more RPG like than yet another battle.
I feel extremely fortunate to be playing PST after the BGs, IWDs, NWNs, TOEEs and so on and so forth - I think I'd have a lesser response to those games had I played PST back in 1999.. But having played those games first, I feel I can really appreciate the craftsmanship of Planescape.

My only real gripe with the game (apart from the wretched path-finding) is the lack of NPC voice acting. There are so many great NPCs, but none of them have recorded voices.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:58 am

Just to name a *few* things from a VERY long list that make PS:T OUTSTANDING in my eyes is the gameplay, the unfolding story, humor, twists and turns, the detailed graphics, the sound, the seemingly endless opportunities, the emotion and the chills, the fact that you ARE actually immortal and thus hardly never have to reload or restart the game if you die...and not least the female models, hehe, both those depicted on the adventure screen but also those that are explained in one of the archive screens in-game. The spell animations are truly awesome too...
Phosphor wrote:My only real gripe with the game (apart from the wretched path-finding) is the lack of NPC voice acting. There are so many great NPCs, but none of them have recorded voices.
Funny you should mention that. The first time I heard somebody complain about missing voices I thought "what the hell is he on about..." as didnt really notice that only parts of the dialogue has a voice. Once I've heard the first voice, I just sort of add the rest myself, in my head, sort of using my imagination unconsciously. Empathy and imagination is half the experience.