What do you like about PS:T?

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:11 am

Janmanden wrote:Just to name a *few* things from a VERY long list that make PS:T OUTSTANDING in my eyes is the gameplay...
Hmmm... the gameplay (ie the technical side of controlling the game) is rather clumsy. The pathfinding is terrible (characters constantly getting stuck, jumbled and hung up or blocked by each other, and the interface is awkward.
As a story it plays great, but technical gameplay is poor.
Funny you should mention that. The first time I heard somebody complain about missing voices I thought "what the hell is he on about..." as didnt really notice that only parts of the dialogue has a voice. Once I've heard the first voice, I just sort of add the rest myself, in my head, sort of using my imagination unconsciously. Empathy and imagination is half the experience.
The reason I notice is because a lot of the NPCs are so well written and detailed, that the lack of voice is a blow against them, particularly from a design studio that does voice work so amazingly well.
This is compounded by the fact that what voices are present are quite good, so when they're not there, it's noticeable.
For instance, in the Mortuary when you meet with the ghost, her voice so gorgeously compliments and enhances her words, I was hoping for more of that, which so far has been absent.

I'm really liking the game, but I'm not about to become one who praises it up and down and makes excuses for it's faults.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:03 am

Phosphor wrote:Hmmm... the gameplay (ie the technical side of controlling the game) is rather clumsy. The pathfinding is terrible (characters constantly getting stuck, jumbled and hung up or blocked by each other, and the interface is awkward.
As a story it plays great, but technical gameplay is poor.
Hm...I havent seen a single game from BIS/BioWare that handled micromanagement very well, pathfinding is just poor as well as annoying "you need to gather your party before venturing forth", but at least you dont have to do that in PS:T, and after a certain point in the game, when you can get hold of the Modron Maze Portal you can 'Mass teleport' to all of the major areas in Sigil...from anywhere in Sigil. I think the technical side of PS:T is just as good/poor as any other BIS game is, the Interface is very different from other Infinity Games...

If this game had any faults I wouldnt praise them, but I *just* cant find any. :lol:

edit: Besides *this* IS a topic about "What do you like about PS:T?" NOT what do you dislike.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:01 pm

@ Sermon

:shock: Wow, never knew you worked at BIS. On torment no less. You have been added to my list of heroes! :D

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:04 pm

one minor critic on PST, i was pretty dissapointed that there's no way to make up with Ignus for what you've done to him, it should've been incredibly hard of course, but redemption should've been possible, i hoped at least.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:46 am

I've no imagination, so I'll go with the crowd. Everything. But especially the voice acting and the music. Noyce!
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Drachir

Post by Drachir » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:46 pm

Besides all that is already said:
It's just the best alignment test ever!
[url=http://www.godhatesfigs.com/]God hates [color=green]Figs[/color], Proof![/url]

"... God sent the Israelites out into the wilderness for 40 years solely to keep them away from fig trees so they could cure their terrible fig dependence..."

Darque

Post by Darque » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:33 am

I liked the fact that it had an excellent story.
Everything else was a bonus.

Aragorn, son of Arathorn

Post by Aragorn, son of Arathorn » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:25 am

I say all the different roleplaying opportunities, and the fact that what you say actually has an impact on the game.
"I'd say this is gonna hurt me more than it's gonna hurt you, but I don't like to lie."
-Yusuke Urameshi from Yu Yu Hakusho

If you drink, don't park; accidents cause people.

Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

No one is listening until you break wind.