Viconia Romance/ Edwina (BG AARs)

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Pandaman

Post by Pandaman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:56 pm

Protection from Magic scrolls are your best friend against Kangaxx the Demi-Lich. Protection from Undead works too, if I remember correctly...
POWER TO THE PANDAS!!!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:39 pm

Kangaxx, Morte's evil counterpart... 8-)

IIRC, I usually let Minsc spearhead the attack, he is immune while enraged. The ring of the Ram is the first weapon I fire at his second form, he has no immunity or protection from it's damage, it just knocks him right of his pedestal, I try to aim it at him so he gets knocked into the grasp of Minsc. Protection from Magic was mentioned, and just as effective is the Immunity vs. <Schoolname> spell that your wizards can cast (I just can't remember which school imprisonment is).
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:36 pm

...or just send in summons for him to waste spells on :)
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:15 am

hmmm it seems a natural ability, at i've seen him cast it at least 8 times, but the spell immunity abjuration should work, i'll try
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:58 pm

i managed, though with enough problems.

Since i had only one character with spell immunity in my party, that had to be the one casting it, which was my (about now) 9/22 mage/thief, as said with only 9 mage levels, for 9 rounds of protection.
I miscast both of them in the first encounter with the lich, got it killed but had to flee because i didnt have anymore immunities.
I went outside to take a nap in the inn, and while wandering outside i was stupid enough to stoneskin one of my chars, which led to some added cowled wizards, and having no preparation area, since they follow you.
I put my party against the lich again, which immediately imprisoned Cernd and Viconia because of the way the party came in, and the casting of my first immunity. (i had an autosave by now, it wouldnt get much better)
I had to make sure the demilich kept imprisoning me, and to somewhere recast it, because after the ring of the ram the only things that damaged him were the lightning bonus of Crom Faeyr and the energy bonuses of the +4 Halberd from the underdark, wielded by Anomen and Haer'Dalis.
I had Edwin hacking around there for more distraction, and both Ed and Haer became imprisoned during the hacking, but at last the lich fell.
I cast my last freedom scroll (i suppose i need to get a new one from somewhere, i havent learned it yet), went outside and sent in my overbuffed Ano and Haer who took down the cowleds with incredible ease.
(which surprised me)

Anyway, by now i also took down Bodhi, for the great +4 Cutthroat thingy, And i made a short visit to the Tethir Forest, to get the +4 mana bow, but i screwed up the encounter. Ah well, i've already got the Gesen.

I now ventured into the Watcher's Keep to see how far i'll come when trying it from bg2. I'm somewhere around the elemental mage chambers.
I suppose i make a healthy chance to get pretty far, considering i'm around l20 average for my chars. (Ano, Viccy, Haer, Ed, Cernd, and me as an illusionist/thief) They are all becoming powerhouses btw, because i decided to do almost verything this game, and then you're using all those overpowering items like Crom and the Reflection cloak, Ring of Free Movement on Haer, etc.
I'll keep you guys posted on new problems, which will no doubt arrive when i try the prince or up the difficulty.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:49 am

I've completed Watchers keep a couple of times, but never bothered with the final "boss" battle in that one. I'm curious how you experience the difficulty level of that one if you choose that option... :?:

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:16 am

Watchers Keep isn't that hard. In my current game, I finished it in chapter three. My characters entered level 13 (or so), and left at around level 23 or 24. After that, I just send my monk in solo everywhere. I just keep the other NPCs for the party interaction.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:34 pm

i tend to do the same, although i make a habit out of sleeping as little as possible, i send in Anomen first, after sevreal battles he's out of hp and spells, i give the items to Haer, and go on with him, etc.

Spider

Post by Spider » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:44 pm

The Demogorgon is a wuss (at least on standard difficulty). I've been playing with Improved Demogorgon (from baldurdash) and that's another story though. It's a tough battle, tougher than any of the other improved ones imo.

Last time I played a virtually unmodded game of BG2 though and went in to beat up Demogorgon and he just died (at least that's what it felt like).
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:49 pm

Talk about those improved monsters! That first Bhaalspawn you meet in ToB makes the Demogorgon fight look like a cakewalk! I didn't have much trouble whupping Demogorgons ass with my party, but when we went against her, I almost had my ass handed to me on a plate!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:23 pm

So the big werewolf is a pushover... I might just give him a shove next time I visit then, see if he is up for a fight. I never play monks though, they are so indcredibly boring :?

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:41 pm

And so overpowered, it's ridiculous. I'll never play one again.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:23 am

Is Improved Illasara the one you're talking about? I hardly playued BG anymore so I'm a little rusty. She was a bitch, never tried Demogorgon for fear of dying from laughter how easy he was though
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:40 am

Illasara? Sounds about right.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:41 am

CatBoris wrote:Illasara? Sounds about right.
majestic probably cheated when he beat her in 3 turns, took me eight tries
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan