Viconia Romance/ Edwina (BG AARs)

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:56 am

He's such a boy scout :lol:

He can probably light a campfire without spells too...
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:52 am

Hehe. :D

Well then one don't need to waste magic on it, no slots taken! Thats great! ;)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Hey i am not a fucking pathfinder, i hate boyscouts, its the most awful thing to put your children trough, marks them for life. All they learn that is practical is how to hang themselves.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 pm

I was in one of those weird scout thingies for a while, kind of sucked. All we did was tackle each others on this damn slippery floor, have som amateur morons as leaders and pack christmas presents like it was some kind of child labour camp.

The camps sucked to...I wasn't in that shit for long.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Teehee! I just finished my BG1Tutu non-raising campaign :D

On the first try, right after having succes on my 14th ironman run, the no raising run succeeds as well, i am quite filled with endorphine right now, while i am busy converting the party into BG2.

It turned out i needed no new npc resources, which brings the tally of used npcs to 22, of which 17 died. (You can read about the last session before this one a page back, which i didnt at first :)).
I finished the game with Minsc, Dynaheir, Quayle, Tiax and Coran, while Safana, Yeslick and Xan were the unused ones. Of course i could've swapped around a bit before doing the final battle, as prolly Xan makes a better mage than Quayle, Safana a better thief than Tiax and Yeslick a better tank than Coran. (And prolly some more favorable comparisons). I didnt want to search around the game world for them and items for them however, being so close to the finish line. In future campaigns i will prolly do such stuff, and also take on TotSC content if i have party members available. It could be done though, as Coran, Tiax and to a lesser extent Quayle lack a lot in xp compared to the two oldies and my main.

Mareks Quest
Anyway, onto the AAR. I found my save in the Sorcerous Sundries, which made me think i was just in front of the Duchal Palace battle, but it turned out i did those in the last time i played, nearly a year ago. I searched around in the Iron Throne and Undercellars and found them empty, so before shadowkeeping in all sorts of stuff i looked here at my last post, which proved helpful.
In two ways that is, as i saw there that i accidentally might have started Mareks quest (talked to him in the NE section), i had no journal entry so i still doubt i was poisoned, but i decided on doing the quest to be sure and not die in front of the Undercity.
It was no real hassle to be honest, i was a tad afraid that i couldnt fight the Umberlee priestess since i long read that tome which is part of the quest, but she stayed around nicely, to evade a buffed pickpocket from Tiax. The ensuing battle was no trouble though, nor was Marek in the mermaid.
A nice dialog in the Blade & Stars inn

So, onto those three trials i had left, i started out where my save landed me, buying everything i need from the Sundries. I bought some MS1 scrolls for Quayle, and a bunch of potions, mainly Absorption and Magic Shielding, and hopped into the maze.

The Thieves Guild Maze
Things went fine in the maze as i made sure i wouldnt have the same trouble as my fourteenth incarnation, who nearly died to ricocheting lightning bolt traps, the invisible stalker and the green slimes.
I started out by drinking a Perception pot with Tiax, having him summon his Ghast, and making him invisible, and continued slowly clearing the path, disarming all the traps and dispatching the slimes and doom guards. The Skeleton Warriors turned out pretty hard, nearly killing Minsc and Tiax, but Corans arrows and some melee fighting to stop the arrows from the Undead won out.
I had to rest there though, losing the find traps bonus. I cleared the second part of the maze with Tiax hasted, invisible and 'absorbed' (lightning immune), he found all but one trap still with his 55%, and i didnt spot the Stalker anywhere. All in all doable, though i should think better about those Skeleton Warriors next time.
Tiax actually disarming some traps invisible and percepted
The Skeleton Warriors getting off some hits

The Cloudkill Party
Next i handed revenge on the Cloudkill party in the Undercity, with some of their own goodness, like i promised, for my 8th incarnation.
I buffed up (though thats not too much in this game, Haste, StrOne and some mirror images) and made Minsc invisible and pulled on his fire resistance equipment, drinking a pot of the same along with it to even cause healing. I scouted ahead with him, followed by Dynaheir with the Cloudkill scroll from Gullykin, and myself; the three heroes that are above level 7. The following battle was quite rewarding and shortlived, as the whole party managed no more than about two fireballs on my own party, their fighter coming out for some swings, and a couple of ghasts creeping up my back. In the meanwhile their party was quickly turned to ashes and vapors by the cloudkill and a number of charges from my fireball wands, while Minsc tanked them busy and one mage took care of their images who didnt even get off the spell i named them for.
Cloudkill revenge opening
Cloudkill revenge aftermath

The Final Battle
Onto the finale then, i took a look at all the stuff i had gathered that were left in my containers, i set aside some scrolls like inv haste and mimage for my main, who would be wearing armor in the fight and divided some MS scrolls along the party. Also read and divided all my potions, especially giving a lot to me and Minsc, who would be the tanks. I drank anything over 3 turns outside, including Giant Strengths, Magic Shieldings and Absorption/Fire Res ones.
Stepping inside i looked up my MS2 wand from all the way back near the Nashkell Mine Rear Exit, but i must have done something wrong somewhere, or simply made use of it well, as the wand had only a single charge left. So far for my summon blockade hopes.
I still pulled up a small one though, using that charge, 2 castings of MS1 from Quayle, and 2 scrolls of MS2 with Dyna, and of course Tiax' mighty Ghast.
Next i made Tiax invisible to take out the battle horror traps that are in the center, but i had no luck with that, the last perception potion helped identifying the traps were there, but Tiax was unable to touch them. By that time my first haste also wore off, so i cast a second, this time including all the summons.
I sent some fireballs north next, hoping to lure the baddies south with some damage, no luck in that though, and just 10 damage on Tazok. So, secondly, i sent up the Ghast to wake the partyboys.
Sarevok and Angelo came down on it quickly, so the finale had started. I sent in my summoning blockade, and looking at Angelos spell and weapon protections i decided to Resilient Sphere him.
This succeeded, and i was in doubt what to do with my chars while the blockade was still up. Coran of course sent arrows Sarevoks way (Biting ones), and i started using up Tiax' wand of Heaves, it only caused 2 dmg per charge, but everything helps.
Semaj teleported in, and set of his contingency of sorts, Malisoning my party and letting go some symbol, he was imaged and protected from missiles. And Resilient Sphered.
A Fireball trap went off, or maybe there was another caster up north, but it took care of pretty much all my summons, i sent in Minsc to take over the battle with Sarevok, planning on maybe fireballing him and pulling on his fire equip, while Tazok came in, rushing towards Minsc as well, and, of course, Resilient Sphered as well. Wonderful :D.
Minsc actually then finished of Sarevok quite quickly, as i added arrows with Minsc and Magic Missiles with Quayle and Dynaheir while i even pulled off some hits with my main. Never though Resilient Sphere would ever be this powerful and this successive, Dynaheir brought three into battle since someone gave her the idea to forbid Abjuration, Enchantment AND Conjuration, but all three hit wonderfully.
Summoning Blockade preparation
Semaj coming in
Two Resilient Spheres
Three Resilient Spheres
And the final image for Hendrika the Fifteenth

I am now in the process of shadowkeeping everyone and everything into BG2 to continue the non raising campaign there (and maybe complete my first ironman run at the same time, as my furthest, the last one died on the Elder Orbs in the Seven Hells.)
I will do the same rules there, so no loading and no casting of raise dead, i will also, as promised a while before not use magic immunity scrolls or the items from the bonus merchants (mainly against the Robe of Vecna and the Sling of Everard i saw being overly powerful in my last game).
I hazard this will be a lot harder to do in BG2, let alone ToB, there are ten less NPC to die on me (though i bring in 5 more), and the game is a lot more deadly, because it assumes you have a cleric around which can cast Raise Dead and Resurrect right on the road.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:15 am

I don't really remember much of the game after entering the city of Baldurs Gate itself (I do remember the thieves maze being more frustrating than fun though). Probably because in the past, I've started up several games that never made it to the city, only completing the game once (or was it twice?).

Maybe I should give it a go again, but I would probably play with something like TUTU or similar. The no pause while in inventory mode is a real killer for somebody who played BG2 a long time before trying BG ;)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:19 pm

You should, Tutu indeed offers a nice new experience of BG1 taking away those minor pains of small resolution, pause in inventory, and since using the BG2 engine you can copy most of your stacking tweaks and the like as well.

In the meanwhile, i am set for some Durlags Tower a bit sooner than i'd liked. The power of coming into Irenicus dungeon with Full Plates made me rather reckless, and combining that with some sweet success caused my Berserker->Mage to join the heavens after about three or four hours...

Irenicus Dungeon
As i said above i converted all the items of the time of Sarevok with me, which of course makes this dungeon a breeze. XP wise i was less ready to make the jump to BG2, Dynaheir was a bit over the medium, being my oldest char, and I and Minsc were about right on average, but i had to remove 20 and 40k xp from Tiax and Coran respectively.
Anyway, i rushed trough the goblins and golems to the trapped alarm bells room, where i nearly killed Quayle from the get go. Tiax was still only good enough to find traps, not disarm them, so Quayle had to take the mirror image risk, and of course the 20% chance got him to 3 hp. That was the only tight moment however as i hopped out the dungeon the short route.
Quayle nearly dying on a trap

Promenade
Coming outside i went immediately to shopping, i sold what loot i had left from Sarevoks battle for about 12k in gold. I saved 5 for the casting license, and spent the rest on scrolls and containers. I believe i picked Minute Meteors, Stoneskin and Sunfire for my main, Breach and Polymorph Other for Dynaheir (wow i hate evokers on l4 & 5), Quayle got some old scrolls for spells, Confusion and Greater Malison. (Also failed meteors twice and sunfire once btw :)).
Next i rushed into Kalahs tent for the ring, not breaking a sweat there either. With this much ease i though why not take on that party of Brennan Riesling in the Seven Vales, they have some nice treasure, and they're a good test, usually for after Spellhold.
I sent in Minsc invisible and in fire equip, followed by my main invisible as well, posted Minsc next to the thief that disappears halfway the battle, and my main next to the mage, outside of the double fireball range Dynaheir and Quayle set off. Those two came in, and i added a brand new Sunfire of my own, which dropped the casters right away. The thief told us he'd not die over this, and ran away, but fell while running, due to some good Coran aiming. Tiax even got off a Hold Person on one of the remaining guys as i mopped up the place.
Mopping up the party in the seven vales

Athkathla & Imnesvale
As it turned out i had no trouble even with such a capable party as the one in the Seven Vales i decided i could take any item prize pre-spellhold i sincerely wanted. Looking at my itemlisttoget i spotted mainly three things, Ilbratha, the short sword that would give Minsc Mirror Image, and the (second) Boots of Speed and Melodic Chain over in the Planar Prison.
As such, i ran over to Imnesvale to get that mirror image and go for Haer Dalis, i went to the slums to get Gaelans talk done, headed for the Gov District to accept Tolgerias quest to open up the map, and paid for the license. On my way out of the city i also killed a Hareishan at the gates, and popped in the bar to gain Daystar invisibly with Coran.
Inside Imnesvale i took care of the work there in three haste castings, dealing with the Mimic and Golem quickly, while at the same time slaughtering the chickens and bartering with the ogres.
I also noted the gnome salesman here comes with 10 Genius Potions, something i should remember.

The Temple Sewers
So, onto the Planar Prison then, something i usually keep for past Spellhold if i dont need Haer as well, but as said, the ease is too great, and that was proved here again, as i raced trough the bandit party in the north of the sewers. Only the mage casting some protections and PW Stunning Dynaheir before she got the Breach off took a little while.
Pushed up Mekraths laboratory in pretty much the same way, Mekrath was surprised by two invisible tanks that got down his stone skins all to quickly, the Yuan Ti proved no problems either, and neither did the planar stone trap in the chapel room, this time i had Quayle pick it up Imaged, and succeeded, where last time Jan got himself gibbed there.

Planar Prison
Straight on to the planar prison i went then, racing trough the Bridge District to open the portal, and unhesitantly slaying everything that reared its head from it.
I am a lot afraid of the first battle inside the prison though, it comes with Cloudkills and True Sights, and a formation that isnt good for fireballs. Normally i go in with Inv 10" or something, and sneak my way to the thralls to the east while the True Sight is being cast, making sure i can use my tanks a little better.
Didnt take the hassle this time, and justly so it appears, Minsc battled trough the right side with the aid of some artillery and myself, while Coran made a hedgehog of the western wizard. It all went pretty fine, as i maybe drank one potion with Minsc, until i accidentally activated the thralls to the east.
Not that they were really any trouble, i raced trough them with my hasted tanks, and while Minsc chopped down the last one it happened again, he activated a caster thrall to the east. So, again i had to rush on, and now things started becoming harder.
The mage got off some good spell protections which i was breaching while Minsc had to heavily drink healing pots being attacked by the salamanders. Even worse, before i got the mage down he managed to get a Confusion off on my main.
That is one of the worst things that can happen to your main non-reload, getting confused or panicked while wearing boots of speed. You get the idea, Hendrika 15 ran up north and activated the Wyvern for a fourth chained battle.
I immediately cast a Resilient Sphere at my main to save him, which succeeded, i really know again why i have been in love with this spell ages ago. Meanwhile my party finished off the salamanders still standing.
Power Word Stun on Dynaheir in the opening battle
Confusion on the main in string battle 3
The Wyvern coming in while the Sphere goes off

Now, i should have rested, i really should. But no, i sent Minsc up north to keep my main safe should anything appear, and did it again, for a fifth battle in the chain. I invited the Master of Thralls and two large Air Elementals into my party. I sent in Minsc to block them from reaching me and treated them to a fireball, but things got sour soon after.
Those Elementals hit very hard, and i had already used up most of the days spells, only had artillery left from wands, and the impeding stuff like Confusion and Slow had been long spent. Fleeing wasnt an option either, my main was still in the Sphere, and to top things off the first Doom Gaze held Coran, Tiax and Dynaheir, and with that i knew i would be losing chars here.
With just Minsc and Quayle left things were going awry quickly, Minsc almost couldnt keep up the drinking as i searched for moments to squeeze in a buffin potion like Heroism, I pulled Quayle from the fight to get him casting, along with my main who just got out from the Sphere. I looted my containers for some of my just found arcane treasures, Quayle casting a Chain Lightning at them and my main trying a Death Spell in hopes the Elementals were counted as summons. Without noticeable effect i sent in Hendrika too, to make sure my held chars werent killed, but alas, she was held right away by the next Doom Gaze.
With that the stakes were really on, as my main was trapped in front of two Air Elementals, who were not only hitting him, they had some kind of area damage effect as well, and with four guys held in their step, it was time to start recovering what i could again.
I had quite some saving hopes with me though as everyone was going into heavily injured, Quayle had a remove Paralysis memorized, that should do it, i cast it at the party and finally pull on my Rings of Free Action and Berserk my tanks and make for more peaceful areas. No such luck though, the spell went off, released everyone, only to get my main held straight away once more. Tiax, Coran and Dyna were free though, so i at least got some more minor chances. Scattered them, and looked trough the scroll cases for more options.
Resilient Spheres, of course, i had Quayle cast one from scroll, and Dyna cast ehr last memorised one, but my main saved both, great. One more option left, Quayle had the last casting of Invisibility with him (i used up the others prior), sent him in and hid my main. This last gasp option succeeded, Quayle surviving the casting, but the dying had started, as at the same time Minsc was knocked out.
By then, the Master of Thralls had already held Tiax and Dynaheir again, so losses would be very big if i even survived. I pulled out Quayle and tried to get the Elementals attention with whats left of Coran. No luck, Tiax got gibbed by the next Air Elemental Slam.
The big boys advanced on Dynaheir to have her be the next. I was already planning on running off when i decided to Dispel Magic her, she prolly wouldnt survive that, but i had the time to try.
I didnt however, one of the two Air Elementals did one of those area slam attacks, and that was it for Hendrika XV.
The Master of Thralls' Doom Gaze paralyzing three of mine
Hendrika XV rushing in and getting held
Remove Paralysis to little avail
Last gasp Invisibility while Minsc goes down
Tiax being destroyed
And the Final Image, after my main received an area slam from the Elementals

All around i cant blame myself too much though, i had some hours of fun in BG2, and completed some fights i wouldnt imagine on beating straight out of the dungeon. I became reckless and hasty due to the power i wielded, but still put a up a great final fight with Resilient Spheres, Invisibility, Remove Paralysis, Healing Potions, Scrolls, and so on. Of course i should have pulled on those two Free Action rings the moment the first Death Gaze went off, i even should have Berserked much earlier, to prevent myself from getting Confused and activating the fifth battle, but ah well, i spent over half an hour keeping that group alive in that final fight, thats nice enough in its own. Onto BGTutu again then, let me think if i can think up something stupid, maybe a wizard slayer :).

Oh yes, here is a final sheet of the Fifteenth Incarnation, for your skimming pleasure.
Hendrika XV
Male Human True Neutral
191596 xp, Mage 9 Berserker 4
Stats: 18/00 (16), 16, 12, 18, 13, 18 (12)
49 Hit Points, -3 AC, thac0 8
Saves: 10/6/8/10/7
Quarterstaff +++++, Sling +, Two Handed Style +
Equipped: Gauntlets Ogre Strength, Helm of Balduran, Metaspell Amu, Ring of Charisma, Ring of Invisibility, Cloak of Prot +2, Boots of Speed, Girdle of Piercing.
Inventory: Full Plate Mail, Ring of Free Action, Assorted scrolls wands and potions.
Spellbook (*=memorised)
L1: Identify**, Prot Evil*, Friends*, Armor, Sleep, Prot Petr, C Orb, M Miss
L2: M Image**, Invis*, Knock*, Strength, Blur
L3: Haste**, Ghost Armor*, Prot N Miss, NonD, MinMeteo, VTouch
L4: SSkin*, IInv*, M Globe Inv
L5: Sunfire*

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Started number Sixteen today (or XVI which i like better ;)), this time im going at it, again non-raising, with a half orc wizard slayer.

I choose crossbows for her, only to find out soon after the only good thing of the wizard slayer doesnt come ranged. I changed that with a tweak straight after, its not in the description anyway ;).

So, a crossbow mage slayer, should live some time if he gets some hp, so off i go on my customary opening Umberlee Bowl quest. Xzar already gets killed during the second wilderness area, but the rest goes fine. The wizard slayer denies me potions, so there was no need to go invisible anyway, but i outran the ankhegs nicely.
Variatian came up straight away though, as i opted to start out with a Heavy Crossbow, and the first important bolt hit the Umberlee Priest just after she surrendered. Gone is the quest.

I still went on however, and got a game soon after, i enlisted Jaheira and Khalid, and went south to pick up Garrick in Beregost as opening party. (Along with Imoen and Monty that is).
Silke went great, and i opted on taking on the spiders in Beregost, with all the potions i looted from the quest giver in the FAI. Not much luck here though, as both Garrick and Jaheira died on me there.
Next i went for Bassilus, i know, very early, but why not, i can use the 5k gold for the Crossbow of Speed, i already sold the wiz ring for 9, and bought a set of plate mails for my tanks with it (which works out greatly!), and with the bounty the Crossbow of Speed should be a great ultimate weapon for my wizard slaying business.
I managed to roll an int of 4 by the way, fits the theme nicely :).
Anyway, i got to second level on some black bears near the High Hedge picking up Kivan for the task at hand. Bassilus was tough, and i had to retreat quite a bit, but in the end an entangle ended his own tactics and i even got to l3 already as a bonus, giving me 30ish hp.

From then on things went quickly, and ill refrain from telling it all trough the screenies i am reviewing now.
I went into the Kobold Mines next, returned via the exit to Nashkell, did the Gnoll Stronghold, Tranzig, Peldvale and the Bandit Camp.
Major differences were Harwilliger Neen going down nicely but his Mustard Jellies being extremely tough. Branwen died there, and it was the only time i couldnt pick up treasure. Maybe should have used the invis potion there, but i had to flee, and with two slowed chars, i had to do it quickly. I missed out on Neens marvellous scrolls and lost Branwens stuff, most importantly including Bassilus' War Hammer +2.
Another big difference was for a change talking to Raiken and inviting myself to meet with Tazok, and without restraint attack him the moment i get the chance. He got out of sight on near death alas, in a quite chaotic battle where not enough sleeps from Xan and Holds from Viconia hit. A Chill Hobgoblin even took out Minsc there.
A third was the bounty hunter in the inn in Nashkel, she confused Khalid there before she went down, and while i waited outside for it to wear off Khalid took it upon him to kill every resident.

I finished the Bandit Camp yesterday with Xan, Dynaheir and Viconia left. Happy Cloakwood is open, in the open world i had only Safana, Ajantis, Shar Teel and Edwin left, where for Edwin i think Dynaheir has to die first. With Coran now open and soon Eldoth, Faldorn and Yeslick a lot can die on me again. I only used up a bit too many tanks going at Bassilus with myself, Kivan, Kagain, Khalid and Monty, i think i should be a bit protective over them until Yeslick is also unlocked.

I think ill go and pick up Coran and Safana right now, the first should serve as tank with his 20 dex, and Safana can hopefully do something about the web traps in Cloakwood, i want to play free those other members, and hopefully get Haste along the process.
After that i think ill start gaining xp with whats left on Basilisks, Ankhegs and Dryads, before heading into TotSC areas.

Started out enlisting Imoen, Xzar and Montaron, Jaheira and Khalid and Garrick because Xzar died rightaway. Next were 7: Kagain, 8:Kivan, 9: Branwen, 10: Xan, 11: Minsc, 12:Dynaheir, 13: Viconia
1 Xzar: Gibberlings and Wolves, Wilderness from Candlekeep 2
2 Garrick: Spiders in Beregost
3 Jaheira: Spiders in Beregost
4 Kagain: Black bears in High Hedge
5: Montaron: Dread Wolf after resting from Bassilus.
6: Branwen: Harwilliger Neens Mustard Jellies, Backdoor Mines.
7: Khalid: Nimbul magic missile, Nashkel
8: Imoen: Nimbul magic missile, Nashkel
9: Minsc: Chill Hobgoblin during fight with Tazok, Bandit Camp
10: Kivan: Taugosz Khosann, Bandit Camp

Liking stats like this myself btw :D, think ill record days with the party and total kills next time as well, get some rankings going :).

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:21 am

I usually don't have much trouble with the master of thralls (your previous post), but the unvoluntary organ donor outside the planar sphere has always been a challenge for me. In each and every game I've played. Stupid demon doesn't want to give me his heart. I need it more than he does.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:03 pm

/\ indeed the other way around for me, i usually breeze trough that hell part of the Planar Sphere, i have the most trouble with the Golems in that machine room there, though luckily theres little space for them to move there. I do however most of the times play this part quite late, if i have no exceptional need for the 18 str gauntlets i even do it past Spellhold.

I think i deem the master of thralls demon harder pretty much only because of the big ass air elementals it comes with. Not that that battle is really hard anyway, it just became such because i stringed every battle from the portal door opening onwards. I usually have much, much more trouble with the opening fight, and as well with the final one.

My new ironman no-raising game also continued quite a bit. Following the Bandit Camp i enlisted Ajantis and Safana, and did Safanas quest along with some Ankheg hunting, prior to heading into Cloakwood. Of course neither Coran or Safana could trap find well at that point, and i had to move step by step there. (and had a very important dispel magic with the only non-webbed char)
From then on, i finished the Cloakwood Mines, added some party members, and went into BG, where i gathered most of the useful items available.

Notable experiences:
Hareishan killed both Xan and Ajantis, mostly because of me going in with just one mage, and as such just one fireball. I had Xan a bit too much up front for this, and my oldest char by then, got pelted by poisoned arrows, and Ajantis, when he finally got to the fronted went down to a ricocheting lightning bolt. This gave me the chance to try out Yeslick for a bit, who seems very great. 56 hp, and a -6 ac due to a full plate, ring+1 and dex gauntlets, that will keep him around for some time.

Davaeorn went easy btw, i first managed to lose Safana while resting, but when i started the fight things went easy. I sent in Yeslick sanctuaried to set off the traps, and lured out the Battle Horrors, who were surprisingly little trouble. Same goes for the mage, i cast two dispels out of his sight, which stripped him from all protections, and started slaying him with my crossbow wielding archenemy. (Okay, honestly, it wasnt even with my crossbow, i was out of bolts, also honestly, both my tanks drank three pots, twice some giant strength, heroism for one and invulnerability on the other, and twice some magic protection or blocking potion.)

Another thing going grossly different was Ramaziths tower, where i went trough the eye of a needle against those super ghasts in there. I sent up Coran with all the armor enhancing stuff and the free movement two handed sword, but when i joined in with my party after the ghasts were attacking him, they of course switched targets. I pulled the others down a level immediately, but not before Skie and my Main had been hit, held, and diseased. (Luckily on that lvl below). The disease was hitting them hard though, and i had no cleric spell prepared against it, and with them being held potions were no option either. I cast two cure lights on my main, but the damage kept coming, and Skie went down. As a last resort, while i was already thinking about my next game, i cast Dispel Magic with Eldoth, Yeslick and Viconia. I didnt even know this could happen, but it succeeded in not only dispelling the hold on the second casting coming in, but the disease as well.
With myself saved things werent over yet, as Coran was still being pummeled by the ghasts upstairs. I managed to save him, though only just so, by sending up Yeslick with a invis pot, have them attack the dwarf and make my way out, hopefully with a pack of undead on Yeslicks back.
Of course this didnt go that easy, as Yeslick became trapped by them as well, leaving me wish i just sacrificed Coran, but in the end with some more popping in and out, drinking invis pots and casting sanctuaries i managed, and cleared the rest of the tower.

Also, Edwin has just joined me, after the above. So apparently that works, using up Dynaheir and Minsc before you take Edwin. He told me it wasnt really the way hed preferred things to go, but shes dead, and thats what matters.
What also matters is that the fucker failed to learn invisibility with three scrolls of it and a genius potion for 22 int and 98% success rate. I hope theres scrolls in Ulgoths Beard or that i get a random drop, else i will have a game without invisibility. And with my main not able to drink potions this can become quite severe. I do know theres improved invis around in the village though ed is not yet ready for lvl 4 spells.

My main is halfway level 6 btw, just a little more to go and i am cloudkill immune. Plans are now to take in the Basilisk xp and do Mareks poison quest to get a good bow for Eldoth. I dont think i can do the dryads yet, as i have no way of becoming charm-immune other than buying clarity potions for a 1000 apiece.
After that it depends a bit on Corans trapfinding skill, if its around 100 ill take the chance and head for the Iron Throne and the Candlekeep Cats to get me some wands and tomes. If not i think the werewolf island is up next, of which i happily remember next to nothing anymore.

Current Party: Me (l6 Wizard Slayer), Viconia, Coran, Eldoth, Yeslick, Edwin.
Started out enlisting Imoen, Xzar and Montaron, Jaheira and Khalid and Garrick because Xzar died rightaway. Next were 7: Kagain, 8:Kivan, 9: Branwen, 10: Xan, 11: Minsc, 12:Dynaheir, 13: Viconia, 14: Ajantis, 15: Safana, 16: Coran, 17: Yeslick, 18: Eldoth, 19: Skie, 20: Edwin.
11: Dynaheir: Gnoll and Flind cave, Bandit Camp
12: Xan: Hareishan, l2 Cloakwood Mines
13: Ajantis: Hareishan, l2 Cloakwood Mines
14: Safana: Bandits while resting on stairs of l3 Cloakwood Mines
15: Skie: Ghasts in Ramaziths Tower, BG CN.
(Remaining: Shar-Teel, Faldorn, Quayle, Tiax, Alora)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:13 pm

Continued quite a bit, largely along the plan.

Started out by giving Eldoth a good bow from Mareks quest and continued with a Sword Coast raid for xp. Taking the basilisks with some protection spells easily, and next the Sirines. I found an option of becoming immune against them, that necklace with charges in Ulgoths Beard. It lasts but one turn, but that allowed me to clear the area in three castings. (Okay, i tried it with two which resulted in some waiting for the charm to wear off).

Afterwards my party was l6 and getting closer to 7, but Coran was still on 40% trapfinding. So i went off to the TotSC content, onto Baldurans Isle.
I wont go there very often though, treasure wise, my main reason to go places, there is nothing to get there. There is a great bunch of xp though, i think i beat 20 wolfwere of 1400 apiece and about 5 vampiric wolves of 2000 apiece, this got my party Cloudkill immune too, apart from Yeslick. (l7, oh and you need magic weapons to touch them, that was a quite important part i forgot)
(oh, and treasure wise, there is one thing, a 'Staffmace' which is a 1 handed qstaff for clerics dealign 2d4+2, ill get a proficiency point for that. And maybe, for your bards, when you get back on mainland, a Chain +3.)

There was one bit of stupidity though, which involves hitting the rest button. I had talked to Dradeel, a wizard near the wolves' den, and he talked about saving us and needing his spellbook so much i didnt trust him. After being totally exhausted beating four shiplevels of wolfweres i finished the quest, and wanted to go to him to deliver his book. I didnt trust him enough though, so i decided on resting outside his tent instead of inside. Wrong choice, the mage turned out a friendly guy, and five wolfweres appeared outside, killing Edwin in two hits, and having the others run around the scenery until all had targeted my cleric which i sanctuaried to have the madness stop.

The boat levels werent easy either btw, first of all due to layout, a lot of people get attacked when you bring them up the stairs, and with the magical weapon requirement they need to be there.
My party actually contains 5 ranged chars along with Yeslick rather than a group of tanks i had when i fought Bassilus.
I needed Coran in, for his Spiderbane +2 sword, but hes the best archer and has only -2 ac, i needed Viconia in, she sports -6 ac, but lacks a magical proficient weapon, so she comes with a -4 attack of a morningstar +1, and about 25 hp. I needed Eldoth in, with an ac of 5 and a mirror image, who attacks with friggin dagger (+2 though). and i needed my main in, i never like my main in, even if he has 75 hps, and he has only 0 ac.
Pretty much everyone got close to dying at least once in that place, especially on the third lvl. Yeslick got hit a few times there and i send in my party to help. Both Eldoth and my main got targeted by new baddies though, and the running started soon after. Yeslick had to be pulled back, Eldoth was held, and my main becoming injured heavily.
I pulled back Yeslick to cast Dispel on Eldoth, while the main ran outside, still hasted to stay in front of the pack of wolves. Viccy and Coran held off the stuff upstairs to keep Yeslick and Eldoth alive. I added Ed to the fight picking off remainders with magic missiles, which allowed me to send Coran downstairs to save my main, soon followed by Ed, when Eldoth could fight again.
Outside i had Ed cast more haste to outrun the wolves and had Coran become their target next. All succeeded, but i ended up with everyone heavily injured, except for the mage, that is, until i had hit the rest button outlined above.

Things went in the right order too btw, because Edwin was instrumental in killing the two greater wolfweres. No magical weapon of mine was able to hit them (i suppose they need +3 ?!), so i pelted them with magic missiles and frost wand charges.
(well okay, during the second one i found out Corans Biting Arrows work too, which i had accumulated about 100 of because of all the sirines.)
(which brings me to the sirine queen too btw, she went down rather easily, but that is purely due to that Ulgoth Necklace too, as i quickly used it with both Yeslick up front and Eldoth on the rear.)
(note that i have also drank a gallon of potions during the isle, strengths to have Coran hit with Baldurans Bastard Sword -4, fortitudes to give Viccy hp boosts, lots o healing, etc. I think im getting rather good in finding uses for expendables).

Plans? i need replacement for Edwin, and theres but one mage left, well, mage, its Quayle. Hes the last of the game though, and im afraid to take him already, i guess Eldoth will have to do. It will take time before i can haste again, let alone get to l4 spells, but i will have to, i need a mage very much in the Duchal Palace for Resilient Spheres, so i wont take that risk.
Pretty much the same goes for Shar Teel, shes the last tank around, so id rather use up 2 out of 3 from Yeslick, Coran and Viconia before i go to my last possibility.
That makes Tiax, Faldorn or Alora. I think ill keep Alora as a spare too, the only full thief left, and i guess i need a trapfinder very much in Durlags Tower. Faldorn is an idea, but she adds very little to the party, already having two clerics around. Same goes for Tiax of course, he might even suck more, but ah well, that means hes even more expendable too. And i finished the last game with Tiax, he can die anyway :). His ghast might be useful again too. Tiax it is.
Questwise, i will go to the mage isle, and prolly afterwards do the Iron Throne/Candlekeep Cats, Corans got 70 trapfind now, id like it to be 95, but he did find and disarm everyhting in Baldurans ship right when he reached 70. Adding a pot of Master Thievery should prolly already do it. (or was it Perception).

Current Party: Me (l7 Wizard Slayer), Viconia, Coran, Eldoth, Yeslick.
Started out enlisting Imoen, Xzar and Montaron, Jaheira and Khalid and Garrick because Xzar died rightaway. Next were 7: Kagain, 8:Kivan, 9: Branwen, 10: Xan, 11: Minsc, 12:Dynaheir, 13: Viconia, 14: Ajantis, 15: Safana, 16: Coran, 17: Yeslick, 18: Eldoth, 19: Skie, 20: Edwin.
16: Edwin: Wolfweres while resting on Northern Baldurans Isle
(Remaining: Shar-Teel, Faldorn, Quayle, Tiax, Alora)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:36 pm

Continued another nice distance, but things will become tight to finish Durlags Tower.

After beating the Werewolf isle some days ago, i enlisted Tiax, and went on my way to the Mage Isle, pretty much the best place for my main to be, as the Wizard Slayer slew quite a bunch of favored enemies there.
It was rather simple too, with three cleric tagging along, i decided to memorize 7 dispel magics after the first mage had been able to throw a fireball at my party and confuse and horror some people. With the Dispels however, i managed easily, opening with one to dispel their protections, and then pelting them with arrows, while casting dispels every enchantment spell they cast.
I did catch a lightning bolt twice, but it seems i can live trough one by now, even Viccy and Eldoth, who still have hp around 30 by now seem to have good enough saves.

After doing this, i still hadnt leveled again with Coran, so he remained at just 70 trapfinding. Weighing the Candlekeep Cats against Durlags Tower i decided for the first one, i know where the traps lay there, and since they pretty much center around containers i can drink resistance potions and such, if need be.

With all the TotSC content i already did this area was a breeze, i believe only Prat was marginally dangerous, as his mage got off a lightning bolt or something as well. Compared to earlier encounters with him though thats a small price to pay.

After going trough however, i still had no competent trapfinder, and Durlag should be next, well, i could do the Duchal Palace first, but i decided to keep it for later. I also ditched Tiax straight when i came out, he had his use on the mage isle as tertiary dispeller, but over the course of these two quests he still didnt have a single kill on his name, his thief skills were outshined by Coran, and Viconia and Yeslick are much better clerics.
I decided to pick up Shar-Teel, she might be the last tank, but theres few people left anyway, and the Werewolf isle and some Battle Horrors in front of the Tower showed me i could use a tank with a +2 weapon a lot. (And Yeslick doesnt have the warhammer +2 from Bassilus, i lost that while have to flee without Branwens corpse from Harwilliger Neen.). She did well, but didnt last long.

Inside Durlags Towers first levels (the upper ones), i had quite some fun, i forgot most of the content, which makes it a nice venture. The traps are a worry though, as Coran cant detect or disarm many of them. I have gathered about 12 potions of perception by now, but those also only get the skill up to 90. I've already met three traps in the tower he cant disarm, and where i had to move up a tank just to empty the containers.
Shar Teel found her demise on the first real level below the tower, the one with the four dwarves that need an item. On the west side of the map was a corridor with dead bodies, clearly trapped.
Coran didnt find any of course, and when Yeslick triggered one a lightning bolt started ricocheting trough. Before i had hit the spacebar Coran and Yeslick already took it, and it bounced trough Shar Teel three times. With her dead i drank Absorption potions with all my party members and fled the place.

I tried to enlist Alora next, hoping she might actually have some trap points, though i dont remember her having such. She wasnt in the Hall of Wonders anymore though, seems i have to enlist her before the Candlekeep Cats...

This leaves me with just Faldorn, Tiax and Quayle, so getting to the bottom of the tower might be hard. Ill save Quayle for the Duchal Palace, i find i need a Resilient Sphere caster there. Ill also keep Tiax outside of the tower. Without Alora (and SharTeels dual class option), there is no other thief left, and even though Tiax's trapfinding sucks i already had him disarm a trap in the thieves' maze some earlier game. Faldorn will be the one coming along to the tower, although i expect little use for her too.

Current Party: Me (l7 Wizard Slayer), Viconia, Coran, Eldoth, Yeslick, Faldorn.
Started out enlisting Imoen, Xzar and Montaron, Jaheira and Khalid and Garrick because Xzar died rightaway. Next were 7: Kagain, 8:Kivan, 9: Branwen, 10: Xan, 11: Minsc, 12:Dynaheir, 13: Viconia, 14: Ajantis, 15: Safana, 16: Coran, 17: Yeslick, 18: Eldoth, 19: Skie, 20: Edwin, (20.5 Tiax) 21: Shar Teel, (22 Alora), 23: Faldorn.
17: Shar Teel: Lightning Bolt trap on 2nd level down of Durlags Tower.
18: Alora: not picked up pre Candlekeep Cats (..)
(Remaining: Quayle, Tiax)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:31 pm

riiiight.. a quadruple fireball trap just ended my journey into Durlags Tower.

I mean, i can stomach a single fireball, even two with the right person, equipment or mirror images, but not four, or six, or however many it were.

I decided on the southern corridor after having SharTeel get killed in the left corridor by lightning bolts. The middle one was strewn with bodies as well, but i thought i was going there slowly. Coran identified four traps, and disarmed two of them, when a first trap went off on the party, killing Faldorn rightaway.
I tried to disarm the rest, but Coran with perception didnt do. Next option was sending in Eldoth, with a host of mirror images, the guy ran in, and set off two traps, one was evaded, the other hit him, and sent him off in fear. Straight into the hands of a couple of Mustard Jellies, who took him down right during the casting of a remove fear.
With Eldoth gone, i though the traps were done for, he ran trough all of them. As such, i sent in the four remaining party members, to take down the Jellies. But then, pop, pop, two traps were reset and fired again. At that moment i choose to drink healing potions, wrong choice, should have drank fire protection or better yet, magic blocking. I ran them back (and Yeslick forth), to hope to get one or two out of range of the fireball, but, pop, pop, off they went another two times, and i saw a cloudkill as well. Viconia got blasted off her feet, while my main and Coran got out of the area. Yeslick was still alive with 5 hp, but was running in the other direction to the Jellies, of course they needed a crit to hit him, but with the duration of the fear and no way to dispel it, it was a matter of time before Yeslick went down too.
In the aftermath i was able to get my equip, i had a magic blocking potion around, and used those 5 rounds to gather the balduran items and other important stuff Yeslick and Eldoth were wearing.

So, next time, do bring a thief with at least 110 in trapfinding, really do. I think i will even play one myself next game, topped with some cleric maybe for the sanctuary, should allow me to pretty much solo as far as that is necessary. Maybe wizard, the mirror image and invisibility works pretty similar in life saving and retrieving equipment.

I just picked up Tiax and Quayle, and am now headed for the finale, i hazard Sarevok and the Duchal Palace will be hard with four chars of which only two are fully fledged xp wise. (Tiax and Quayle are 5/5 ish).
It did surprise me though what items can do to them. I managed a -7 ac for Tiax, which makes him a quite sturdy tank, and allows me to keep Coran as bowman. I gave him the Ogre Gauntlets, which allowed him a FPM and a large shield +1, add in the ring +2 and the Balduran items, and ive got a tank with -7 and 50ish hp. To top it off he can also use the Staffmace from Dradeel, to have a quite okay weapon, he only lacks the attacks per round.
Same goes for Quayle, i gave him the dex gauntlets along with ghost armor and some other thingies that helps him to around -2, quite nice for a wizard. I also had him drink the 25 int pot finally, no use in storing it longer, and learned him all the spell scrolls i had gathered. He can only cast a single l3 spell, which has to be Ghost armor, but he does have a lvl 5 list including Chaos, Hold Monster, MS 3 and Cloudkill.

Right now im off to see if i can save Eltan, i already bought some ORS scrolls for the duchal palace, we'll see if we get to BG2 for the third time in a row. Interestingly that would be again with Quayle, Tiax and Coran, i believe Coran even made it every single time, no matter how hard i try to lose him.

Current Party: Me (l7 Wizard Slayer), Coran, Tiax, Quayle.
Started out enlisting Imoen, Xzar and Montaron, Jaheira and Khalid and Garrick because Xzar died rightaway. Next were 7: Kagain, 8:Kivan, 9: Branwen, 10: Xan, 11: Minsc, 12:Dynaheir, 13: Viconia, 14: Ajantis, 15: Safana, 16: Coran, 17: Yeslick, 18: Eldoth, 19: Skie, 20: Edwin, (20.5 Tiax) 21: Shar Teel, (22 Alora), 23: Faldorn. , 24: Tiax, 25: Quayle.
19: Faldorn: Fireball trap on 2nd level down of Durlags
20: Eldoth: Mustard Jellies after getting scared by setting off two fireball traps in Durlags lvl 2.
21: Viconia: More Fireball traps in the same area, i though had gone off already.
22: Yeslick: Mustard Jellies giving the same treatment as to Eldoth on the second volley of fireball traps in Durlags lvl 2.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:30 am

and i made it! phew though, it was all very close.

With my brand new tank, Tiax, i stormed the Flaming Fist HQ quite easily, a series of hold persons to and fro with flaming fists i cant kill following me into the compound along with the mercenaries it lasted quite long.

The Iron Throne woman with her Ogres was quite easy, the ogres got in a hit or two, but no real problems there (Tiax's Ghast killed Argh :)), nor with Slythe and Katryn in the undercellars. For some reason they chose voluntarily to fight sequentially, and i killed Slythe easily with arrow fire, followed by a dispel on Katryn which pretty much ended her chances.
The maze also went fine, i used Tiax' ghast for the acid slimes, and an invisible percepted Coran for the traps with the skeleton warriors. Those latter ones were maybe somewhat close, but not really.

The big trouble came in the undercity, with the cloudkill party. I went in quite surely, sanctuary up front, and casting in a dispel and two fireballs. Right after that things went quite wrong though, no cloudkills, even though i kept Tiax and Quayle back for that, but fireballs. It seems as if one of those archers has fireball arrows or something, as two hit my party in short succession. Like in Durlags, or the Mage isle, two fireballs means time to run.
I drank the two Magic Blocking potions i bought for the final battle with Sarevok with Coran and Tiax, and ran back to spread the opponents, however, Haseo quickly shot down what was left of Tiax, leaving me with three. Pulling back to rest and come back later after some time only the Ogre followed, and i went on the offense again, picking the leftover of their party one by one. Fourth though was Rahvin, who i suspect of the fireball arrows, and exchanged an arrow with Coran, both dying.
With just me and Quayle left i though what the heck and finished off the final duo of the party. The mage in the end did pull off her cloudkill, though im sure i hit her twice, but it only damaged me, and i got Quayle out of the blast area.

With just this little left i thought i would have no chance at Sarevok, so i didnt think on it too much. I just outfitted Quayle to be the tank, who gets a marvellous -6 ac, and is the first i see where its better not to use the ogre strength gauntlets to pull on a full plate. Quayle drank two potions, one of fortitude and one of invulnerability (or something, a non-fighter drinkable one), and i gathered his summons and resilient spheres for the battle, along with the imp invis scroll i didnt dare to write, the only way to get my Wizard Slayer out of sight.
Inside, i used up the summons i had, a scroll of both MS 1 and 2, along with 9 charges of a wand, i believe i found in Durlags Tower.
With them in place, i sent up a lone hobgoblin, and Sarevok came down on my little army, to which i responded with hoping my 300 bolts of lightning on the crossbow of speed, along with five dots in crossbows, was enough to get him down in that time. And it was. I believe i used Quayle to resilient sphere one of the two mages when they came in, but the other made things a bit lucky, i think he got off three spells, a fireball that didnt kill all the troups, and twice some enchantment thingy, which i saved.

Its what these self imposed rules are for however, using up each and every character in the game world along with playing ironman, in the end i only got 1 character to make it with me to BG 2, all of the others died on my travels, giving me the option to use them all. (well okay, i missed out on Alora).

Final party:
Hendrika XVI: lvl 8 wizard slayer, Crossbow of Speed with Bolts of Lightning, Long Sword +2 from Greywolf, Ankheg Plate, Jardaks Helmet.
Quayle: lvl 6 Cleric / 5 illusionist, Mace +1, Sling +1, Ghost Armor, Gauntlets of dex 18, Helm Balduran, Metaspell Amu/Greenstone Amu, Ring +2/Ring Free Act, Ring Wizardry, Cloak Balduran, Boots Speed/Avoidance, Piercing Girdle. Spells: C1: Sanctuary, Rem Fear, C2: Hold Person, C3: Dispel, W1: Magic Miss, Id, W2: Mirror Image, Det Inv, W3:Ghost Armor.
Biggest missed/lost treasures: Warhammer +2 from Bassilus, Wand MS2 from Nashkel Mines Backdoor, Ankheg Plate from Tearom, Short Sword +2 from Malkax, Nymphs Cloak. (And of course some for sale stuff, i only bought the Crossbow of Speed, Greenstone Amy, Greagans Harp and the FPM from Taerom.)

Started out enlisting Imoen, Xzar and Montaron, Jaheira and Khalid and Garrick because Xzar died rightaway. Next were 7: Kagain, 8:Kivan, 9: Branwen, 10: Xan, 11: Minsc, 12:Dynaheir, 13: Viconia, 14: Ajantis, 15: Safana, 16: Coran, 17: Yeslick, 18: Eldoth, 19: Skie, 20: Edwin, (20.5 Tiax) 21: Shar Teel, (22 Alora), 23: Faldorn. , 24: Tiax, 25: Quayle.
19: Faldorn: Fireball trap on 2nd level down of Durlags
20: Eldoth: Mustard Jellies after fear by fireball traps on Durlags lvl 2.
21: Viconia: More Fireball traps in the same area, i though had gone off already.
22: Yeslick: Mustard Jellies giving the same treatment as to Eldoth on the 2nd volley of fireball traps in Durlags lvl 2.
23: Tiax: Haseo of the cloudkill party in the Undercity
24: Coran: Rahvin of the cloudkill party in the undercity

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:17 pm

I started up the BG2 adventure, copying Quayle from BG1 into 2, and adding my equipment i had gathered.

I have decided to take with me Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo and Nalia. I was a bit in doubt about the latter two, but it seems smart to me to use Yoshi for as long as possible, and hes the most expendable rogue anyway. It was a hard thing to pick Nalia, but i decided i could use another mage along with Quayles half, and Edwin would take a long time, Valygar and Haer Dalis would require a tough quest, while Jan with his thieving half seems less expendable and Aerie comes with a third cleric half i do not need yet. Wasnt willing to take a third tank on top of Minsc/Jaheira either.
Cernd of course is another helper, but the only other druid, not that i care too much for druids, but the opening playing did make me fall in love with Call Woodland Being again.

I gathered this party, bought some scrolls and the spellcasting privilege, while taking out the Slavers den to get a second good shortbow for Nalia/Yoshimo (the Tuigan), and Lilarcor for Minsc. I have just arrived in Imnesvale to pick up Ilbratha (the mirror image sword), and will then take out the D'arnise hold and get myself a nice flail.
Only Yoshimo came in danger of being killed once, being targeted by some slaver captain and sporting my lowest ac without spell protections. Should find something against that, maybe a good pair of bracers. I am thinking about dualling him to fighter for a change btw, but want to wait till he has 140 trapfinding.
Oh yes, and Jaheira nearly died to a trap of course.

party: Me, Quayle, Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo, Nalia
Started out enlisting (1-4) Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo and Nalia.