Viconia Romance/ Edwina (BG AARs)

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:44 am

Unless he just lied, and fought the regular one. She was a turd on a stick. Smelly, and easily conquered... eh... Anyway, I agree that she should be made a little tougher, but making her more powerful than bloody Demogorgon is bloody insane!
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:47 am

Yeah I have no clue where he posted the pics but it was something like that and yes she is easy unpatched
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:27 am

Gorth wrote:So the big werewolf is a pushover... I might just give him a shove next time I visit then, see if he is up for a fight. I never play monks though, they are so indcredibly boring :?
Monks are cool but I always give them Annah's soundset as they are always female for some reason
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:48 pm

hmmmz, in my first and only try of Tob i wasnt able to beat the demogorgon, when i took him on after killing all bhaalspawns...
suppose i've doen something wrong at that time.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:58 pm

I beat ToB the first time I played it. I haven't played it since. I'v etried to use it a motivator in replaying BG2 from the start but... by the time I get to Spellhold I'm sooo bored.

I beat SoA 6-7 times I think before I got ToB and now I can't force myself through it anymore. I may play just the ToB part someday.. I may wait another year.

I think the problem for me was that my party was just so "high powered" that it was almost comic, not exciting when I got there that once was enough.

Spider

Post by Spider » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:50 pm

Improved Illasera was tough, but not THAT tough. I didn't think she was tougher than Improved Demgorgon.

Now, the Ascension end battle, THAT was tough.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:21 pm

@josan, i had the same problem finished soa only twice, the rest of my games stranded in spellhold or the underdark. Especially the games with entire parties created by me.

This time i held on, particularly for ToB, and because i thought much of Edwina and the Viconia romance should happen in the underdark, apparently i was wrong on that, but it did get me trough.

Also, i think i could redo it more easily now, because spellhold and udark can be finished in no time if you know where to go, and which items you want to get. the xp isn't important, you can get enough from the sidequest from Athkatla and surroundings.

(for instance, i find the beholder lair excruciating and very tiring. But if you send in someone hasted, improved invisible and with the spell absorb cloak (and maybe fear/charm and hold immunity) you can just race past the different containers, and leave the beholders behind, maybe except for those at the start of the area. (for blood and the rest of your party))

Btw, i dont know if anyone knows something about this, but what's the case with the DeVir captives on the second floor of Ust Natha's tavern?

And another question, i seem to have missed the Foebane +3 Bastard Sword in the first level of the watchers keep, anyone knows who should drop it?

I've just finished the second level, the Chrome Demon didnt last past his Ice Form, killed him with some Flame Strikes and a Wand ot Heavens. Most trouble i had was with the Air Elems, because of the lightning in the room, and when i fled it with the chars that couldnt take the damage two Fire Giants appeared in the fire room. It cost my all of my healing spells, two raises and some potions, after that i rushed trough the other rooms and the demon with ease. I'm now in that damnable maze, i sure hope to find the items i want to find there (white dragon scales, bard's gloves, spectral brand +4 and the deck of many things)
ow btw, the pally bracers can be enhanced in ToB, but will it still be pally only, or just the +hps which wouldnt work on nonpallys? (another resurrection item would be great)

might be nice to try finishing the game only with a deck o many things btw, just get it as soon as you can leave the city, and use it to beat the rest in every encounter, only attacking with your own chars if they get buffed by the deck, and let the rest be taken out by deck summons and deck spells. and reloading on all of the deck failings... (you can use it without end, no?)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:51 pm

As nearly always happens with me, i stop playing a game while nearing it's finish, Stopped playing Thief 3 near the alst mission a week ago, and before that i paused my Torment trial near Fhjull. This one was halted on the 3rd level of Watchers Keep, because i couldnt beat the demons and was terribly lost in the maze. I picked it up yesterday.

Wanetd to leave the watcher's keep to finish it in ToB, but while searching for the entrance i stranded in the exit place. Beat the Cambion and his mates with an overly buffed party. To help you recognize my game:
(Anomen with Crom Faeyr, Magic-Immune cloak, low AC, and the l5 buff spell+regeneration, and some other immunes, and a globe of blades around him;
Haer Dalis, with two +4 short swords, a number of mirror images/stoneskins, Tenser's Transformed andf offensive spinning, and receiving a Regeneration;
Carsondyr, my main char, a mage/thief dual, mirror imaged/stoneskinned, with the stun katana and improved invisible;
Edwin, stoneskinned/imaged and simulacrummed, ready to cast power words, horrid wiltings and missiles from his simulacrum;
Viconia, with the energy heads Flail, the l5 buff spell and a blade barrier;
Cernd, ironskinned, calling in some wood nymphs, and shapeshifted to greater werewolf;
all of the party hasted and defenisive harmonized.)
positioned the lot correctly, and got trough the Cambion with the deck pretty easily (Haer vs Tiefling, Ano vs Cambion&fighter, Cars&Edwin vs mage, Cernd and summons vs bowman) But i suppose i should get the other gems from the demons and devils in the maze.
On getting out of the exit i luckily stumbled upon the entrance, and i'm now on my way to find the elven city. I'll suppose i manage very easily, considering the xp jump i took in the Keep.

I'm now headed for Suldanesselar, as soon as i found out where i left the Rhynn Lantorn...

[edit] grmbl, so i should've wagered with the guy, he had extra prizes like the spectral brand scimitar, which when altered by Cespenar includes negative plane protections, grmbl, ah well, its not as if im not overpowered already [/edit]

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:15 pm

Whenever I see a discussion about some old game I've got, I get an urge to play it again, but when I look at the box: the whole game flashes back before my eyes and with a *sigh* I put the box back on the shelves...not forgotten yet.

Cam

Post by Cam » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:15 pm

And another question, i seem to have missed the Foebane +3 Bastard Sword in the first level of the watchers keep, anyone knows who should drop it?

It should have been one of the first two statues that materialise once you put the items on the altar. The 'Tab' key should highlight it, but you might have had the bad luck of it falling in an inaccessable spot; I think behind the portal might be one such spot. CLUA it in if you defeated the statues.

btw, the pally bracers can be enhanced in ToB, but will it still be pally only, or just the +hps which wouldnt work on nonpallys?

Rogues (in this case Haer'Dalis) with the 'Use Any Item' HLA can use them. I wasn't aware that these gloves could be enhanced, but the Bard's gloves can.

the spectral brand scimitar, which when altered by Cespenar includes negative plane protections

Level drain should rarely be a big problem in the final stages of SoA and through ToB, and bear in mind that there's the Runehammer later on that gives negative plane protection as well. Unfortunately some of the summons in the 'standard' final ToB fight do deliver level drain.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:00 pm

thanks Cam, i think i'll CLUA in the sword by now, because even if it was there somewhere, it has long dissappeared trough resting.
Forgot about that use any item at that time, this might have some interesting followings, Haer-Dalis with Carsomyr might be nice.

Jan, i have those same flashbacks, they help me trough the game and meke me enjoy it, plus i get the chance to somewhat remember and compare what i did last time, plus there's enough new stuff still, due to forgetting and due to not having gathered Crom Faeyrs and such. Heck i even forgot the whole of the '9 hells' final, i thought it ended in the tree city...

Anyway, i made some more advancement yesterday, First of all there was shame on me, because i apparently had already delivered the Lantorn, and then went to the Watchers Keep, just before entering Suldanesselar.
When finally arriving there, (after meeting up with Shadow thieves, over staking bodhi's coffin, reading trough her manuals, scouring the Temple district for a place that keeps lost quest items, and adventuring trough the three southern wood areas of the game, luckily i did find the Mana Bow +4, problem is the Gesen and Firetooth are better)
The city was pretty much of a walkover, done in one day, the Golems had their chances, especially the Admantites (how do i beat them more easily) and some problem that some of them lower AC by 2 on a hit, which is hell for any tank. Still though my bashers (in order) Ano, Haer, Cernd and Vicy managed enough hits to kill them needing only a single heal or so.
Fun thing to note is that the Golem-killing Rod isnt really of any use here, i hit nearly every golem with it, but all made their saving throws...
The mage at Demins house made some trouble with his meteor swarms, But Edwin is becoming formidable, and can dispel nearly all, also fun to note is that i live trough enemy time stops pretty easily.
Inside a double salvo of Horrid Wiltings takes care of the rakshase quartet, damn that spell is powerful.
The Black Dragon gave me the most trouble, mainly because its fear left only Edwin and my Main in place, and next its damaging-entangle killed off Haer and Vicy. Edwin missed all of his remove fears, so the two were on their own, and Carsondyr (my main) couldnt get in close for sneaks or alike, because all his defense spells were over.
Ed on his own started lowering the resistance of the dragon and in the end the fear finally wore off, with Ano clearing the last bit of the dragon.
After that mopped up rest of the town, most notably another rakshasa fight with a Baalor creature added in because Ano was fearful again, and activated him. This one was somewhat hard, due to the few spells i had left.
The fight in the Rillishan temple also wasnt easy, with the mage casting just a bit too much protection to dispel at that moment, But luckily i have a fire immune Cernd, who can eat away at his Fireshields and Stoneskins with no problems, while the rest mop up the extra creatures.
rest, finally.

Into the Tree of life i mop up the parasites with ease, the different Elementals cant get in a single hit.
Joneleth puts up a good fight, while i start well soon a meteor storm keeps away my weaker party members, and he becomes protected against anything. Jon takes his first time stop and power word kills Edwin who was just trying to dispel him. I raise him midbattle and have him cast his own time stop, problem is that Jon still had some protection on him and my PW:Stun backfires, no spells come out. (rem paralysis) My second time stop does dispel its weapon protections and Ano moves in, his Crom damage is still stopped but the elemental damage starts the casting failure for Joneleth. which becomes his downfall. His misleads gave him some more time

Into 9 hells, first i take on Greed, take the sword and kill the Genie, who of course also had time for a time stop, after which i become alert and kill it. Next is Sarevok, giving in to the slayer, my protagonist is finally doing his backstabs, finding a target, and damages for 60, 36 and 40 damage, the last one dropping Irenicus. Ano adds a total of about 200 and Haer about 110, taking him down.
Selfish results in my losing some stats and xp, Then comes Fear, of course i want the cloak but those Elder orbs pose some threat, no more can i send in Anomen and trust everything goes right, because they carry around imprisonment... Edwin was standing around the corner though, he casts a tiem stop, rounds it and gives the orbs a surprise of a Dragons Breath and two Horrid Wiltings, they fall, and Freedom give me back Ano.
Lastly pride wants me to kill a dragon, which i don't.
Into the final battle. unexpected, and without much rest this battle is pretty hard. the Slayer misleads, and since Vicy is chased by a Pit Fiend i can't get a true seeing out. Ano doesnt manage one either since he's his hands full with a Glabrezu and getting the enemies to target him.
Cernd cant either because hes in werewolf form and battling another Pit Fiend. Wanting to kill Jon fast i insist on casting a true seeing near him with Vicy, which results in her death. I resurrect her with the staff, with Haer, and she runs to her items almost dying again. Ed is trough most of his killing magics, and waits until he can start piercing/breaching the slayer, still misled. Haer dies due to a Glabrezu who was formerly chasing my main char. I pick up his res staff and res him, again picking up the items i need in the expansion.
Vicy, without armor now does manage a true seeing and the tide turns. Ano has given up on the slayer and kills of the leftmost Pit and Glabre. Carsondyr transforms into slayer too and takes down the Glabrezu that killed Haer. With the mislead dispelled, Edwin starts taking down the slayers defenses, while Cernd keeps the last Pit fiend busy.
Ano closes in on the enemy slayer, together with my main, and they take him down.
rest, again, finally

Into ToB it is. and with only two days of gameplay, this party seems very much overpowered :).

Maybe some interesting info what i use most in spells:
Ano: Globe of Blades, Righteous Magic, Regeneration
Vicy: Storm of Vengeance, True Seeing, Heal
Carsondyr: Mirror Image, Shadow Door, Stoneskin
Cernd: Creeping Doom, Summon Nymph, Heal, (Ironskin)
Haer: Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Tensers Transformation
Edwin: Time stop, Horrid Wilting, Dragons Breath, Ruby ray of reversal, Pierce Magic, and in some cases, together with Haer, Lower Resistance.

Cam

Post by Cam » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:20 pm

dousi,

Enjoying reading your tale. :)

"especially the Admantites (how do i beat them more easily)"

:cool:

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:12 am

Today i charmed Tepid the cat to have him attack the tavern owner, earning him an arrow from a patron, thought i made a screenshot of it...

ah well, here's some other treat then...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:32 pm

He! 80! Damage!

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:53 pm

Got somewhat further yesterday,

as you can see from the pic i had no trouble whatsoever with Illasera.
Neither with the first exercise from the gods, expected some more resistance from the Elven woman that appears, but ah well, a small number of death spells took acre of the lot, after it became apparent that they were intent on detroying me.

In Saradush i did some sidequests first, though i didnt manage to accuse the thief from the spellbook, i suppose i need someone with track for that, cant seem to find the footsteps (which i suppose are Tepid's btw).
Anomen turned his way trough the vampire lair, after which i sounded the alarm to take all guards at once, not a bad fight. Cleared the barracks (and accidently the sewers too) To head up for a very easy fight with the Orc Bhaalspawn. partly due to a horrid wilting that took out the mages.

Sold some stuff at the tavern and added a +3 sling and boots of speed to my equipment (Ano, Haer and Main are wearing them), and went to the forest area, Where i took down some bandits (the merchant wasnt interesting enoguh to buy stuff) and a number of Fire Giants who had some help from Yaga Shura slaves, another pretty hard fight, because those Giants are pretty able to hit me (Ano that is, the stoneskinned Haer acts nicely).

Cleared the skeletons in the first temple, and got the quest to get the two hearts.

Went to the mountain area, first meeting with a chicken Bhaalspawn with two kobolds and a Xvart, killed one of the kobolds when they happened to be pretty strong, after which the party fled. right.

Into the second temple, i'm having less trouble with the Adamantites, i can hit them nicely for few damage though. Haer's Greed Blade (Foebane?, the one from 9 hells) helps greatly in taking off 4 levels every now and then.
I just need to make sure that the enemies attack the right chars, being Ano, Haer or Cernd in wolf form, the rets go down very fast, note that the other three very much ened a Defensive Harmony or Battle Song to not be hit too often.
Delivered all the wardstones to their correct places, finding out that the magic golems need nonm,agical damage, kileld them with a quarterstaff ;)

Went up the stairs, and the fights with Fire Giants, and elites are starting to cause trouble, though there are two things that help nicely, one is spells that dont harm party members, like Horrid Wilting and very much Creeping Doom. Second i'm rediscovering the power of summons, a standard SM III creates about 3 ogres, just enough to keep the giant busy for a round or two, in which they are usually killed.

Right now i cleaned the room of Giants, but i suppose there will be some stuff happening when i start touching the cabinets. And my chars are getting sleepy, partly due to having no spells except for some spare copies of l4 spells, and i've had my daily pair of haste, which fatigues everyone, i suppose i should sleep soon.