[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - Viconia Romance/ Edwina (BG AARs)

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:02 pm 

Oh, and if you're having a free sunday right now, here are sixty-five screenshots which describe the whole story of Hendrika XVI in Baldurs Gate Tutu.

Session 1: Candlekeep - FAI - Beregost - Bassilus - Nashkel - Nash Mines - Nash Backdoor - Gnoll Str - Bandit Camp

Session 2: Lighthouse - Cloakwood - Cloakwood Mines - Farmlands - Basilisks - Baldurs Gate pre-candlekeep-cats.

Session 3: Werewolf Isle

Session 4: Mage Isle - Candlekeep Cats - Durlags Tower

Session 5: Durlags Tower

Session 6: Duchal Palace - Thieves Maze - Undercity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:21 pm 

Minsc went down yesterday, to a Finger of Death from Rayic Gethras :(. It is as i feared, BG2 is much more easy, with all the power that comes from good equipment, high hp and many spells, however the resources opponents have, mainly save or dies, will cause a lot of trouble. I also imagine level drain and maybe imprisonment/maze/pretification will cause some problems.
Come to think of it, I believe Yoshimo already was petrified once, ah yes, trough the Djinni outside of the tent in Trademeet.

D'Arnise Hold
The rest of the game up till now has been laid back and easy, ii went to Imnesvale to get Ilbratha for my main, and continued to make Nalia happy, strolling trough my future keep destroying trolls left and right, really no trouble here, the trolls just seem to ahve a bit of hp, the umber hulks were evaded with immunity, and the yuan ti didnt make an impact either. Only that charmed guy got in a few hits, and on my way back i accidentally activated two of the golems from the treasure room, and got a surprisingly high amount of damage. The Flail went to my main too, as his attack weapon for melee, while Minsc got the big bow +3.

Umar Hills
Next were the Umar Hills dungeons, really easy too, especially due to taking Daystar from the city, i ran trough it in minutes i think, having enough magical ammo to not be worried by bigger shadows. I mainly did the quest to get me the best leather in the game for Yoshimo, however, he hit his l12 somewhere here, and i dualled him to fighter. To be honest, i dont think ill have his thieving back anytime, even if i do Windspear and the Unseeing Eye before Spellhold. I always forget whether i need to surpass the other class in xp or lvl, if the former, 440000 xp is doable, if the latter i fear i have to go up to somewhere around six zeros.
He makes a great fighter however, with a FPM, the cloak & helm of Balduran, and a Ring +2 and Shield +2 he gets a -10 ac. I worked towards Long Sword grandmastery, as i feel it is still the most diverse weapon prof, giving him Daystar and Varscona. His Thaco needs a little work of course, but to be honest thats not too important for my tanks.

Trademeet
Next was Trademeet, for the Shield of Harmony, usually my first target, but this time i didnt start out with a shield wearing tank or main, with Yoshimo though, i do, and i want more charm immunity than just Lilarcor. The Djinni were easy to get it, and it got me the Efreeti bottle as well, the first of my summon team
(Which is a Woodland Being, Efreeti, Moon Dog, Joolon the Lion and the Valhalla warrior, supplemented with a sixth one of your choice, a Djinni, Hakeashar, Mords Sword, Air Elemental, etc)
The Druid Grove was rather easy too, trolls are easily dispatched, even the whole den (with a Charm Immune Spear for Jaheira, and soon Belm). I had some trouble taking on Ihtafeer and his lackeys, a tough fight at this time with all the cloudkills, but succeeded. I was a bit afraid of fighting Faldorn bare handed, but that turned out unnecessary too. Im not sure why she decided not to cast spells, but that way my fighter punched her unconscious, and i was lucky to have a Larlochs from my Bhaal abilities to finish her off. (i should watch out with that though, dont do the Druid Stronghold with a fighter that has no way of dealing lethal damage.)
Note that i also killed Alibakkar, he has an Elven Chainmail :).

Thief Stronghold
After this i decided to do the Thief Stronghold, mainly because i know Edwin becomes blocked if i go to the third Chapter before doing his quests. As said though, Rayic Gethras, the mage in the docks district, put up a tough fight. The problem was two-fold, he opened up with Prot Magical Weapon and Prot Normal Missiles, while my Breaches didnt dispel that, and i only had normal spares for Minsc. The second was a fear spell by him, that left only Nalia and Yoshimo awake, as such unable to hit him without magic. Nalia was soon PW Stunned, as i got off an unsuccesful dispel magic. Yoshimo killed him as soon as the buffs wore off, but not before him emptying his spell slots, including a finger of death on Minsc.
Oh yes, in the meantime i also got into two of the personal quests, saving Jaheira from Baron Ployer and doing two of Nalias meetings with the Roenalls.

Plans? buy normal spares, i should have done this before, i know the problem especially from ToB, always bring normal spares on high levels. As well i need to replace Minsc, and that is a little tough to choose for. Main reason is my party is still fit, as i sport 1.5 tanks, 1.5 mages, 2x0.5 clerics and 0.5 thieves (and an archer, my main). Looking at the fact that Imoen will replace Yoshimo in Spellhold probably, i dont want a third mage or second thief, so no Aerie, Edwin or Jan. With two half clerics i dont feel any need to pick Cernd or Viconia either. Another full tank like Keldorn, Korgan or Mazzy is unneeded too, nor the Tank/Cleric Anomen. That leaves the two support guys, Valygar and Haer Dalis, and with the current position im in i might pick Valygar to do the Planar Sphere, as my last BG2 venture ended in the Planar Prison.
Still in doubt though, as i mainly want a use for Lilarcor again, and i believe the only other 2 handed sword guy is Keldorn. Still though, im not taking him, as i want to go to spellhold the evil route, because it has the better treasure with the Ring of Djinni summoning and the Elven Chain +1 Aran Linvail sports.

party: Me, Quayle, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Nalia
Started out enlisting (1-4) Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo and Nalia.
1: Minsc, Rayic Gethras during Thief Stronghold quests,
20 days and 12 hrs, 88 kills including a Bone Golem. (l9, 549792 xp)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:13 pm 

Okay, there is another danger than save or dies, 110+ damage Horrid Wiltings, and you're right, Gorth, the Planar Sphere is dangerous, the Tannarri not so much, Tolgerias more.

Planar Sphere
I went here pretty much straight after the death of Minsc, picking up Valy from up north, and found out again why i often leave this for past Spellhold too. I had several tough moments, the first with the raging halflings, where i used some of my summon party up front, but they started getting hits trough nonetheless. Second witht he two golems up north, whop started hacking away at Yoshimo. I sent in my whole party, who was still on magic melee mode, from the elementals before and beat them somewhat easily, only to note Valygar had died on me. Apparently he activated a Finger of Death trap Yoshimo didnt trigger. (Lucky it was him :shock:). Does mean however i will have to postpone the Moon Dog until Use Any Item.
The Elder Orb wasnt really funny too, nor was Lavok, the first killed quite a lot of summons before i made the choice to risk it in melee, and the second got off some spells before i could insect plague him.
The real danger came with Tolgerias though, as he Horrid Wilted Yoshimo for 55+62 damage. I immediately bought the Inertial Barrier Belt afterwards :).
It was a hard fight still though, as it started out symbol stunning Quayle, and Nalia, and when i sent in Jaheira to dispel his protections he PW Stunned her too. With jus tmy main left i was unable to hit him, with his stoneskin+prot magic weapon+prot n miss. I decided to kill off the other wizard, while hoping someone would become active in time. Pretty soon though, i became able to hit him with elemental damage from the Flail ot Stars, which ended him.
The Tannarri on the other hand was rather easy, okay, i used the summon party against them, which probably mattered, but he went down really easy. Apart from that i didnt take any risk anymore before i could get outside, as i ran to the machine invisible/sanctuaried, only stopping to retrieve the fire elemental staff from a container.

Pondering with two dead
Im not even sure if i did things right to make this my stronghold, i got a bit hasty, having two dead in a prison, and with Yoshimo dead there is no more special need to do everything pre-spellhold. Actually, by the time i realized it was Yoshimo that died. i saw in hindsight that that was pretty good. I used him up as a tank to do a lot of areas pre-spellhold, which is exactly what i was planning, it still feels bad, because there is a bit left, and i wanted him to regain his thieving skills for fun, but to be honest, i was starting to do post-spellhold stuff, and if he were still alive i would try to risk him in the Planar Prison, Unseen Eye Cult and Windspear Hills, which all could have meant more deaths. He was nice though, i didnt expect him to tank this nicely.
I chose to replace this duo with the same niches, so Haer Dalis will join for Valygar as support/third tank, and Korgan will take over the primary tank role. I want Keldorn still, for Lilarcor, but i still have the thieves quests to do, and that fits Korgans style nicely. I was a bit in doubt, since Jaheira tanks well enough too, but i opted to not keep her as the only one, because with spellhold coming up it might be a good idea to have a spare inside the party. And like i said before, other options would mean a third cleric or mage, not needed either. Only Jan comes to mind for thieving, but i think i can hold up until i meet Imoen again. Dutkas thief is working nicely for me again, even though i dont like giving up the Haste and Chaos slots for it.
Of course picking up Haer Dalis is rather intensive, not even emntioning my last game ended there, so i decided to go there with a full fledged party, instead of a spot free for him. I picked Cernd, the next support guy (well okay, and second Woodland Being source, maybe i should be a bit more protective about him).

A strange quirk is happening to Cernds shapechanging however, prolly courtesy of some tweak (even tho i made sure not to enhance his wolf form to the godly one that is in many of the tweakpacks.). Everytime i shapechange him, i get some kind of paw in my inventory, that i can move around, when equipped he gets his stats and paperdolls of course, but he can still cast spells, and might even get all the other item boni. As well, it doesnt disappear when i take them off, so i can essentially shapechange as many and as often as i want, with casting in that form. Of course i dont want that much cheese, but its kind of a hassle to do things by the rules. I need to throw away that claw every change, i need to go into inv right after the animation to put it on when i clicked the choice, i need to not accidentally press a spell, when i have rested i need to throw away the claw to cast my ironskins, etc. And then as said im not even sure if he gets, say the +1 from a ring of protection in wolf form (and if he should).
I hope the same isnt the case with Jaheiras bear forms, else i will have to look what the source of this bull is. It does put Cernd down the list of wanted chars a bit though, as i dont like so much hassle for an ability thats only marginally good.

Cernd, Korgans and H-Ds personal quests
Both were rather easy, i did take the time to pick up Kitthix and Joolon during all this to expand my summon options, and pick up the Spell Immunity scroll. I next went after Haer Dalis, going to the sewers. There i tried to see how good my summon party was right now, testing them against that pretty decent party north in the temple sewers. I had two nymphs, Kitthix, Joolon, the Efreeti, a Fire Elemental and the l9 berserk warrior at the ready, and sent them in. They did really fine, i eblieve they killed three of the party and injured the rest nicely, with just the help of a haste spell and a remove fear halfway. In the end i had to step in with double insect plagues to not have them come after my party, but the fellows almost managed.
Next up were Mekraths lab and the Planar Prison, Mekrath went down easily to elemental damage on weapons, and the inside of the prison went a lot easier this time too, while i stringed together the whole of the prison in one day. (though with a few more buff pauses).
In the opening battle i sent Korgan right with help of an Insect Plague, Chaos and Emotion, while Jaheira and my main took care of the other Yuan Ti mage. The second battle went similar, focussing on the fire salamander caster, and next the thrall caster north of that, only that one getting off a spell before i noticed him.
The big thrall and his Elementals were easy this time over too, i used two nymphs to distract them, but that was rather unneeded, this time my tank was rather immune when sent in. (Free Movement, Charm/Confuse immune, Poison immune and Inertial Barrier against the magical damage). I dont believe they really got off a hit on anyone. (added the Staff of Air to the summon party)
The Warden was even easier, as i set his thralls free and mopped up.

more ponderings
I have just equipped Haer Dalis, only to notice something very serious, i seem to have already used up all the Stoneskin scrolls in the game i know off, i know there were i believe 3 in the amart, which i spent to have Nalia and Quayle learn them. I went into Kalahs tent quickly to gather the 4th i know off, and had Haer drink both a Genius and Mind Focus pot for 98% succes rate, of course it fell inside that 2%, so HD wlll have to rely on mirror image and -1 ac... I hope for some random drops, because without stoneskin the mages become very risky, and the fighter mages (Haer and Solaufein) even become rather useless. I think ill have Haer learn longbow and put him in the back, every now and then spinning him out of that position.
The future is prolly Spellhold, i have only Arans guildhouse to storm before i can leave (strangely only Nalia was bothered by the course i took). Apart from that theres the Unseen Eye and Windspear, both of which i rather hold for later. Other option is buying stuff, the Hill Giant belt is interesting for Jaheira, and the Firetooth +4 from the WK saleswoman might be interesting for my main. However, i believe i havent got really a lot of money, as i just spent 15k for chapter 3, 20k for the Inertial Barrier belt, and around 10-15k of l5 and 6 spells for Quayle/Nalia and some usefull stuff for Haer. (Most notably, Quayle also failed PW Sil and Death Fog on 98% succes rate, what is it with me rolling 1s, thats 5k down the drain).

Party: Me (l10 Wizard Slayer), Quayle, Jaheira, Nalia, Korgan, Haer Dalis.
Enlisted order: 1: Quayle, (1.5 Imoen), 2: Minsc, 3:Jaheira, 4: Yoshimo, 5:Nalia, 6: Valygar, 7:Korgan, (7.5 Cernd), 8: Haer Dalis.
1: Minsc, Rayic Gethras Finger of Death during Thief Stronghold quests,
2: Valygar, Finger of Death trap in Planar Sphere
2 days and 20 hrs, 4 kills including a Priest of Cyric. (l9, 540238 xp)
3: Yoshimo, 117 dmg Horrid Wilting by Tolgerias, Planar Sphere
23 days and 19 hrs, 68 kills including Crypt King (l9(12) 329960 (440000) xp)

short equip:
Me: Crossbow of Speed, FPM +1, Helm Balduran, Boots Grounding, Ilbratha, Staff of Fire, Lilarcor, Spiders Bane, Staff of Air
Korgan: Stonefire, Rifthome and Frostreaver axes, Shield of Harmony, FPM, Ring +2, Cloak & Helm Balduran, Gauntlets of Dex, Inertial Barrier Belt, Boots Speed, Ring Free Act, Amu against Poison, Kitthix, Ring Fire/Helm Def.
Jaheira: Belm, Sling Seeking, Small Shield +2, FPM, Boots Speed, Cloak +2, Greenstone Amu, Helm Glory, Ring Earth Control, Ring Ram, Gaunt Ogre.
Quayle: Staff Mace, Sling +2, Elven Chain, Small Shield +2, Gaunt Weapon Expertise, Cloak +1, Ring Wizardry, Ring Acuity, Helmet v Charm, Metaspell Amy, Iron Horn Valhalla.
Nalia: Daystar, Tuigan Bow, Bracers AC 6, Metaspell Amu, Ring +1, Pale Green Ioun, Efreeti Bottle.
Haer Dalis: Chaos Blade/Arbane Sword, Elven Chain +3, Gaunt Ogre Str, Boots Avoid, Algernon Cloak, Flail Stars, Elven Court Bow, Joolon.
Spells:
Quayle: W1: MM, W2: MImage, Vocalize, Knock, Inv, Det Inv, AArrow, W3: MinuteMeteo, Haste, Slow, Dispel, LDutka, W4: Emo, SSkin, SWord, ImpInv, W5: HoldM, Breach, Feeble, GDutka, C1: CLW, RFear, Sanc, C2: HoldP, SlowP, C3: RemPara, RemCurse, C4: PEvil10, Rest, FreeMove, C5: TrueSight, FStrike
Jaheira: C1: CLW, Sanc, C2: SlowP, Charm, C3: Dispel, CureDis, SInsect, C4: WoodlandBeing, DefHarm, C5: Heal, ISkins, C6: Heal, Harm
Nalia: 1: MM, 2: Knock, MImage, 3: Haste, Dispel, MinuteMeteo, 4: Emo, SSkin, GMali, 5: Chaos, Breach, Domi, 6: PierceMagic
Haer: 1: MM, Id, 2: Mimage, Voca, 3: Haste, Dispel, MinuteMeteo, 4: Emo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:04 am 
Patron

Some day, I'm going to play through this game with Cernd and Haer'dalis (sp?) from start to end. Together with Jan, they are the ones that I've always dumped asap after finishing their personal quests.

Oh yeah, never leave home for Umar Hills without Daystar. Depending on how soon you leave, it can be a pain to obtain though :cool:

I think you need to beat your old dual class level to activate it.

Edit: ...and whatsitsnameshield that makes Beholders quiver in fear when going for the sewers/temple quest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:31 am 

Its from one of the bonus merchants, i decided on not using it, along with any of their items. Last ironman try in BG2 (with raising, Hendrika the Fourteenth ;)) i thought many items from them too much, including the Robe of Vecna, Vhailors Helm and even the Sling of Everard. I decided on not using them along with Magic Protection Scrolls anymore as well. That does mean i have to rely on the soon coming absorbing cloak and summons against Beholders.

Oh yes, just lost Jaheira in Spellhold to a Mind Flayer from the tome that gives a ring of free action. It confused her on round one and hit her twice to kill her, -9 ac and ironskins i thought, ah well. Lucky Imoen is around.
Also found six stoneskin scrolls in Garlena's inventory paying the Watchers Keep a visit prior to spellhold, along with the Firetooth +4, Haer Dalis now ranks with the best (and has too).

I played all three of them btw of course, though Cernd quite a bit less, Jan and Haer'Dalis i brought all the way trough ToB though, and many times in other places. Its not that theyre that good maybe, but they are very versatile. (and i like them). I think i have that problem most with Aerie and Valygar. (and Jaheira of course, but thats personal)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:20 am 
Patron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:25 pm 

Nooooooo Genius potions are the most delicate potions in the game, i hunt the countryside for each and everyone of them to scribe my scrolls, and still i spend thousands too much...

(good idea though, but no i cannot spend my genius pots on stuff like that, better to not engage them in melee and/or come with immunity to charm/confusion. (or evade them altogether :)).

Never used Mazzy too much really either, she just doesnt seem like the right tank to me and ranged grandmastery usually places them in the support category with me. I never used Coran or Kivan all that much prior to ironmanning either. Come to think of it, that might make her very good right now. I think i'll picjk her up as soon as one of Haer Dalis, Korgan or Solaufein dies. (I intend to switch Nalia for Solaufein when the opportunity arises, though if she wont leave like in spellhold ill have to temporarily settle for sending off Quayle or Imoen.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:09 am 
Patron

Mazzy is sort of a long range support unit. A well armoured one, but not meant for tanking. She does have a lot of good lines in the game though, both with Keldorn, Korgan & Valygar. Since I don't keep Jan, Cernd or Haer'dalis in my party, I never really figured out if she had anything to discuss with those guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:53 am 

Hmm, i guess ill try her on both roles, since Imoen just went down as well i get the feeling i might actually do go trough a lot of chars this game. I expect her to do great with short sword and shield as well, could give her an ac alike to Korgan, Anomen and Jaheira, instead of the two handed fighters.

Considering party banter this game btw i have enjoyed Korgan-Jaheira the most i think, they have been tossing around insults to each other in a sharp way. Cameos are better as of yet though, i still turn my music down for Tiax or RUMARRRRRRRRRRRR!

Some more AARing:
Finishing up mainland chapter three
I went into the thieves stronghold, and raced trough quite quickly, the area with the wooden bridges strangely held no traps, opposed to my memory, and the fight that followed was somewhat hard, that fighter, Dareel or something, hit Korgan pretty hard, and on rolls of ~10 too, that is a bit too easy to be honest. Boz was easy.
Aran Linvail put up a semi tough fight, no deaths, heavy injuries or state problems, maybe mainly to having my summons up front. It did take very long to dispel his protections however.
After that i did some final buying stuff, i went to a temple to buy some Mind Focus potions (to get +7 int for writing spells), and Stone-Flesh scrolls, so i dont have to keep the ring of earth with my main. Next i went to Watchers Keep to buy the Firetooth +4, which is actually amazingly cheap at just 14k, and the Stoneskin scrolls i stumbled upon there (2x3, strangely with different prices). Lastly i went to the AMart to buy the Hill Giant Belt, and equipped it on Jaheira, making her gauntlet slot free for thac0 enhancing stuff.

Brynnlaw
I dont really like Brynnlaw, i usually just kill the cowled wizard and flip his spell book's pages. This time i had very bad luck with it, i normally get a True Sight or Spell Turning out of this thing (usable by fighters), but this time it went to the last page of Burning Hands straightaway.

Spellhold
Rather easy too actually, though i did way too much again, being hungry for treasure. I picked up Imoen, just because she wanders to the CC elsewise, and i did want the option of a spare. I switched her for Nalia, though i did see this could cause trouble when leaving Spellhold, best remember.
Next i looted the puzzle and portal chambers, partly because i didnt know the treasure clearly yet again. The 12 item puzzle actually gives a nice ioun stone, but at least the portal isnt really worth the risk.
Of course next Jaheira died when i was doing the book in the second area, which i already admitted. I knew the last two pages, of Mind Flayer and Beholder were hard, but i didnt expect Jaheira to be confused and killed in three rounds. Better equip the immunities more beforehand instead of when needed.
With Jaheira dead though i was happy with the spare char, problem solved, though with Nalia and Imoen i have two almost copies.
The rest of spellhold was easy again, the vampire was no trouble, nor were the inhabitants of the third area, not even the Gauth, Ulitharid from the rooms or Bodhi. (which surprised me a bit, with the book the flayer killed one, and the beholder charmed haer dalis for a duration longer than my domination in response).
I choose to go trough the Sahuagin city, the lure of the silver sword and the absorbing robe is just too big.

Sahuagin City
Very easy. Death Spells even killed some parties, even though Nalia only brings one. I of course didnt like going to the Beholder, but Imoen with a perception pot handled the traps nicely, and Haer Dalis actually delivered a way out of fighting the lovely beholder here, talking him into letting us have a peek as he doesnt guard whats inside the chest.
I sided with the King instead killing the whole city, this is actually a very legitimate choice, it appears the XP reward is a lot bigger, and you get the +4 monk gauntlets, which i never saw before yet. Maybe give that monk a spin sometime.

Underdark
I got my hunger way too high again here, as i read somewhere Vithal comes with a scroll of Time Stop when you kill him after his quest. A really good spell of course, but also one i wont be able to cast for much much later. I ran off to do his errands, killing the duergar fellows for their book and light gem, (Hmmmm, evil), and killed the big elementals.
Vithal himself though was another story, i got him to badly injured, but that was before and in between of 4 (four!) Time Stops. I was very lucky with what he did inside them though, as he mainly cast spells at Joolon, my lion. Most of them had ranges though of course, like the Symbols, and he did cast one Horrid Wilting that injured my casters/supportes. I pulled those four a bit back of course, while Korgan kept trying to get in a hit in between stops (He imprisoned Haer before). The third one included a little Djinni though, and that petty summon of his cast a fireball just before he got removed by Death Spell. This ball didnt hit Quayle anymore, the most wounded, who had pulled back enough, but Imoen did go down.
Next, with the fourth time stop, the geezer dimension doors away, i fear off map, with his scrolls with him.
The two drow parties i met were strangely easy yet again though, and i remember them being quite vicious opponents. I suppose the Ogre Strength gauntlets on Quayle sling of seeking and Nalia's Tuigan bow help a lot, makes their damaging quite important even when they face heavy magic resistance. (and with Imoen it was even better of course).
I just went to Adalon and received his cloaking spell, apparently he doesnt care much for my sins with the duergar.

oh yes, and Korgan by now has survived two disintegrate and one Finger of Death trap, im cheating fate here, i really should stop clicking on containers so confidently.

Party: Me (l10 Wizard Slayer), Quayle, Nalia, Korgan, Haer Dalis.
Enlisted order: 1: Quayle, (1.5 Imoen), 2: Minsc, 3:Jaheira, 4: Yoshimo, 5:Nalia, 6: Valygar, 7:Korgan, (7.5 Cernd), 8: Haer Dalis, 9: Imoen
2 days and 20 hrs, 4 kills including a Priest of Cyric (yes, that one). (l9, 540238 xp)
4: Jaheira, Mind Flayer on Challenge Book in Spellhold
49 days and 12 hrs, 126 kills including Deril (Cernd Jrs fake father) (l10/12 584908 xp (x2))
5: Imoen, Fireball from Djinni summoned by Vithal in the Underdark
4 days and 17 hrs, 18 kills including an Umber Hulk. (l12(7) 828122 xp)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:10 pm 

Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise
Title:
nice Imoen killing an umberhulk never made her do that

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:16 pm 

hehe, i've got an even better one for you then, Nalia just passed away yesterday, during more unnecessary treasure hoarding. She has a Demon Knight as biggest kill ;).

Ust Natha
The small quests here were laughably easy, i had no trouble with either the beholder or slimes down south in the map, and didnt misclick anywhere in the dealings with Phaere, Solaufein and the Matron Mother.
Defeating the Kuo Toa prince was easy enough to, again i didnt pick up the mushrooms before meeting with him, but i had enough speed and defenses to pick them up while fighting him.
I also took down the Demon Knights for their FPM +3 and Crom Faeyr part. This went rather easy too, as i split the combat in three groups, taking things slowly with my summon party on the first duo, and noting they went down quite easy i just ran in for the second and third part. Only had to watch out for symbol fear iirc, which hit Haer.

Hmm, looking trough the screenies i did have a tense moment with that party as you leave Ust Natha the first time, one of their Horrid Wiltings nearly killed Nalia. (73 dmg), i was lucky i had made her a Contingency with mirror image on heavily injured, as she was confused at the time, which is also why i couldnt get her out of spell range. Some other things that were somewhat tight is the just noted beholder imprisoning Quayle before he went down, and Qilues chambers being rather interesting for Haer Dalis and Korgan, who got feared there, and kept running around all the other drow there with their Boots of Speed. Strangely though, no other spell from the casters troubled them.

on Solaufein
I enlisted Solaufein after doing the drow city, completing my party again, Solaufein is turning out very nice combat wise, being a fighter/mage with stoneskin and mirror image is great, while he can also add Tensers to the mix. He comes with longsword and flail profs, which makes him wear the Flail ot Stars and Daystar, seems to work very nicely. Its the first time im really trying him, as he got killed very quickly the first time i did, and im not 100% sure on what i should think of the outside content made for him. His dialogue prior to the elves and with Drizzt is good, but i am not really liking his lines on quests like the Windspear Hills, it seems a bit predictable, and he's being a goody two-shoes a bit too much for my liking. ('Can we not talk this over? there is no need to fight' bullshit). I am also undertaking the most risky part about him, which is the romance, as i happen to be a female half orc. Im not liking the first lines of that either, but maybe i shouldnt judge the mod for that, i didnt really like the romancing i've done in the past with Viconia and Anomen either.
The thing as of yet thats worst though is him taking center stafe a bit too much for my liking, since ive enlisted him only Jan and Korgan both had a single line, all the rest has been Solaufein muttering pally biscuit sentences. Ill be keeping hm for this game and see how he turns out in the quests with Bodhi, Suldanesselar and Irenicus (or even ToB), but as of yet im about 50/50 on whether i will keep him around in future games.

Return to Athkatla
I travelled to the Amart straight away to sell my loot from the caves, and met with the Githyanki of the silver sword right on the promenade. I somehow thought they always appeared in the Slums, as such i hadnt rested and that mainly resulted in having no stoneskin left for Nalia when the troupe appeared.
The start of the fight didnt go bad, my sped up characters, Korgan, Haer and Solaufein were up front, and although Haer got confused the other two kept the gith very busy. My slower characters were still walking up though, and to my surprise the Antipaladin from that party and some rogue-giths attacked from the back, injuring Nalia straighaway. I had her mirror image while i sent in a few summons against the southern group and started firing bolts at them. She managed the images and got pulled back quite okay, but with six images i was a bit too confident with her. The Antipally got in another hit with that miss chance and took her down.
(While i wont even be using the sword, i currently have no 2 handed sword fighters other than my main, who doesnt melee if possible anyway, and even if i take Keldorn in the future, he wont use it a lot as i also sport Lilarcor and Spiders Bane for important immunities.)

I decided on taking up Jan, because with Nalia and Imoen dead he's the next thief in the list, and i lost a mage of course. Jan is turning out okay enough, with all my elven chains i can get him to -1 ac, which is good enough along with stoneskin and mimage. He can use the Speed Crossbow since my main now uses Firetooth full time, and his spells include Chaos and the like just like Nalia. He doesnt have any l6 or 7 spells yet, but to be honest, apart from Death Spell and a few Contingencies i wasnt really using that yet anyway, and Death Spell has prolly had its best time anyway.

Turns out i made a small error in the start of my game as well, where i wandered into view of Viconia and got some dialogue about burning her. Since i had the freedom to pause and such before talking to her about saving her at that time i thought i had the leisure to postpone talking to her until i need her. When i wandered into view again though picking up Jan, they burned her on the stakes. No Viconia this game...

Crom Faeyr
Lastly, i went about gathering Crom Faeyr, i already gathered the Strength Gauntlets and Belt from the Sphere and Demon Knight, so i went on to Windspear for the key of the illithid lair. I had very little trouble in Windspear, even with the enemies that have me keep it for after Spellhold, as i killed an Iron and Adamantine Golem and a Greater Wolfwere, without too much trouble.
I also picked up the dragon fighting gear from the Tomb of Strohm. With being panicked being the most prominent source of danger over the last chapters the sword here will be of use quite nicely. I put it on Solaufein, for an 11th icon on his portrait.
Next i went to kill the Shadow Dragon, again forgetting to cast fear protection prior to the battle. This sent off Haer and Korgan in fear for most of the battle, which made it last for some time. Solaufein luckily wasnt due to my most recent prize, and killed him with the help of my mains crossbow, as soon as i breached his magical weapon protection. I did need a Tensers and some potions on solaufein though.

The Illithid lair was the hardest of the things i did, making it a nice hard opening and ending of the day. The first two rooms were doable, with Korgans -12 ac up front, quickly followed up by buffed Haer and Solau. I used up the summons to tackle the second room, but the third one did cause some trouble, as both Korgan and Haer got hit about two or three times with int-damaging injuries, getting both to just 6 int left, and being pulled out of the fight. Note that i should thank Gorth for his hint on drinking Genius pots, alhtough i feel they are way too precious to use as pre combat buffs, they do make nice healing potions, and i think Korgan would have been dead had i not drank one mid-battle.

Party: Me (l15 Wizard Slayer), Quayle, Korgan, Haer Dalis, Solaufein, Jan
Enlisted order: 1: Quayle, (1.5 Imoen), 2: Minsc, 3:Jaheira, 4: Yoshimo, 5:Nalia, 6: Valygar, 7:Korgan, (7.5 Cernd), 8: Haer Dalis, 9: Imoen, 10: Solaufein, 11 Jan, (12 Viconia).
2 days and 20 hrs, 4 kills including a Priest of Cyric (yes, that one). (l9, 540238 xp)
49 days and 12 hrs, 126 kills including Deril (Cernd Jrs fake father) (l10/12 584908 xp (x2))
6: Nalia, Antipaladin in Githyanki party returning to Atkathla
39 days and 0 hrs, 123 kills including a Demon Knight (l14(4) 1863062 xp)
7: Viconia, burned at the stake because of not saving her directly after the first time i saw her.

Quick equip:
Me: Firetooth +4/Lilarcor/Ilbratha/Staff of Air/Spiders Bane, Gorgon Plate, Helm of Balduran/Brilliance.
Korgan: Crom Faeyr/Frostreaver/Rifthome Axe, Shield of Harmony, Armor ot Heart, Helm of Balduran/Defense, Cloak of Balduran, Boots of Speed, Belt of Inertial Barrier, Ring of Free Action & Ring of Earth Control / Ring of Regen/ 2x Ring Fire Res. Periapt against Poison.
Solaufein: Flail of the Stars/Rod of Lordly Might, Dragonslayer/Daystar, Bracers AC4, Boots Speed, Cloak +2, Girdle Hill Giant, Amulet of Power, Helm of Charm Prot, Ring Free Action, Ring Regen, Joolon.
Haer Dalis: Arbane Sword/Kuldane & Adjatha // Darts of Wounding, Elven Chain +3, Boots of Speed, Cloak of Mirroring, Gauntlets Wp Exp, Dusty Rose Ioun, Metaspell Amu, Ring fire res, Efreeti.
Quayle: Sling of Seeking/Staff Mace, Elven Chain +1, Small Shield +2, Helm of Glory, Ring Wizardry, Ring Acuity, Metaspell Amu, Horn of Valhalla.
Jan: Crossbow of Speed/Staff of Fire, Elven Chain, Cloak +2, Bracers of Archery, Periapt v Poison, Ring ot Ram, Kitthix.
Spells:
Cleric 1: Sanctuary, Remove Fear, Cure Light
Cleric 2: Hold Person, Slow Poison
Cleric 3: Rem Para, Cure Disease, Rem Curse
Cleric 4: Prot Evil 10, Death Ward, Restoration
Cleric 5: True Sight
Cleric 6: Heal
Wizard 1 (4 sources): Identify, Magic Missile, Prot Petr.
Wizard 2: Mirror Image, Invis, Knock, Vocalize, Melfs, Det Inv.
Wizard 3: Minute Meteors, Haste, Slow, Dispel, Rem Magic, Invis 10, Vamp Touch, Flame Arr.
Wizard 4: Stoneskin, Gr Malison, Emotion, Imp Invis, Otiluke, Secret Word, Minor Seq.
Wizard 5: Breach, Hold Monster, Chaos, Domination, Lower Res, Gr Dutka Thief
Wizard 6: Tensers, Imp Haste, Nishruu, PW Sil, Prot Magic Energy. ]

Plans? I still want a bit of treasure, namely the second Gauntlets of Dex and the Girdle of Fortitude from the old sewers (oh and why not, the shield too). I am doubting about getting the Ring of Gaxx, itll prolly cost me another char for treasure hunting, but i feel i have quite a good chance with two item Sunrays and a cleric, and the Ring ot Ram, as well as Spell Immunity around. If i do things cautiously i should take them out without much trouble, but i prolly wont. To be complete, i will not try and get the Staff ot Magi, Celestial Fury or Carsomyr, they seem too high stakes for items i wont rely on too much, though maybe, if i need Keldorn in the future i might still try for Carsomyr. I had all my chars die for treasure except Minsc, if you consider the Planar Sphere treasure, i think i should have learned my lesson a bit, especially after Vithal and the Gith.
Apart from that its Bodhi, Suldannesselar, Irenicus, 9 Hells and into ToB. I hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:37 pm 

Title:
You are going to get pwn'd at Bodhi with Sola in your party, hes a reaping whirlwind of death there and whether you romance him or not, he gets vamp'd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:52 pm 

Hmmm, maybe it was you that made me afraid of trying that part directly, but i will not know soon... I managed to kill my party on Kangaxx during more unnecessary treasure hunting...

Unseeing Eye
First went over here for more unnecessary treasure, well ok, Gaals Girdle is worth it, but the Gaunts of Dex surely werent.
I was quite amazed by my ability to slay beholders without cheese btw, going to the old city i hacked my way trough a group of 3 beholders and 2 gauths, with marginal trouble.
There was some less marginal trouble though, considering Liches. I already took out the first one here, the Shade Lich, treating him to double sunray and a ring of the ram, and finishing his last bits with minute meteors and crom faeyr.
Inside the depths of the Unseeing Eyes chambers however, i encountered a second, about which i didnt even know anymore. While i was picking up the Gauntlets in the second undead area there, suddenly a fully fledged lich appeared, with a pack of mummies. I didnt remember where the exit to the beholder part was, so i decided on killing the lich, hoping it would open the way. I was here without my double sunray though, which lengthened the battle a lot, including losing Haer Dalis to a wail of the banshee.

Kangaxx
With these two liches under my belt though i knew i could get the ring without too much trouble, and went over to the elemental Lich. He lasted a bit longer than the shade one, thanks to him i guess dimension dooring out of range of the double sunray.
I also picked up Mazzy as replacement for H-D, she looks good, 112 hp, grandmastery with the Tuigan Bow, and -6 ac, -10 in melee.
Onto Kangaxx then, i killed the first form in a matter of seconds, using +4 & 5 weapons along with the sunray and ring of the ram. I had prepared for the demilich form by memorising three spell immunity abjurations with Solaufein. I didnt really get to that however, as i for the umpteenth time forgot fear immunity, and Sola ran around the area after a power word i didnt seem able to dispel. I hacked on without doubts though, as i also had Korgan around, berserked against the imprisonments.
I was planning on simply renewing that berserk state ahead of time so i would slowly kill the demilich with Crom Faeyr and Firetooth. No luck though, as the berserk wore off, i wasnt allowed to refresh it during the winded state and Korgan got imprisoned.
From there on i knew i would need to run, Sola was still panicked and running around, and was the only other immune guy, as Quayle didnt memorise it when i opted to do it with Solaufein.
I ran my chars to the exit, with Quayle, Mazzy and Jan around my main to catch any imprisonments coming my, which soon sent off Mazzy. I was waiting at the corner for Sola to come close and be able to fall inside the gather your party perimeter, but he was running around too far away, and Jan got imprisoned next.
With just me and Quayle left i decided to throw Sola out of the party, if Q gets imprisoned im quite done here, maybe i could get Edwin for the job or something, but that would take ages, so i simply threw Sola out, and left for a good nights rest.
Buffing up Quayle to be immune to the imprisoning abjurations, i went back to finish off the lich and free my party, but there was no luck to be had as i made a rather grave error. I never switched Quayle to party leader of the two of us, which means i came out up front going down the stairs, and although Q ran up toe to toe with the lich its first imprisonment sent my main to join the others in nothingness.

(Honestly i was a bit in doubt with such a hard ending to this ironman run, similar to number 8, where i didnt manage to save a Duke in the Palace. Essentially i lost my game to a click i forgot that i was actually planning to do. However, as i reloaded my last save to see what i actually did wrong, i managed to mess it up twice more, so i guess its rather just Kangaxx has a Hendrika under his belt. Also, rather strange, when i freed my party after succeeding the fourth time, Jan and Mazzy no longer wished to talk to me, i could re-enlist Korgan, but not those two, so essentially my game was rather *i have potty mouth* up anyway, losing two fully equipped chars for no particular reason other than a bug. Maybe i should test if this always happen when more than one char gets imprisoned in roughly the same location. If so, then i at least know the chars are *i have potty mouth* when the second imprisonment hits a party. (and can start fleeing beforehand instead of trusting on my stock of freedom scrolls).

Final Results:
Party: Me (l15 Wizard Slayer), Quayle, Korgan, Solaufein, Jan, Mazzy
Enlisted order: 1: Quayle, (1.5 Imoen), 2: Minsc, 3:Jaheira, 4: Yoshimo, 5:Nalia, 6: Valygar, 7:Korgan, (7.5 Cernd), 8: Haer Dalis, 9: Imoen, 10: Solaufein, 11 Jan, (12 Viconia), 13 Mazzy
6: Nalia, Antipaladin in Githyanki party returning to Atkathla
39 days and 0 hrs, 123 kills including a Demon Knight (l14(4) 1863062 xp)
7: Viconia, burned at the stake because of not saving her directly after the first time i saw her.
8: Haer Dalis, Wail of the Banshee by Lich in Undead City below Sewers.
28 days 4 hrs, 115 kills including an Adamantine Golem (in Windspear), (l16 1335138 xp)

party killed by Kangaxx the Lich's Demiform (4 imprisonments, including the main, with Solau panicked and removed from party, only Quayle was perfectly healthy.)
Hendrika XVI, 69d 3 h, 288 kills including Kangaxx first form. l17, 2294148 xp
Quayle, 69d 2h, 72 kills including Ihtafeer the Rakshasa from the druid grove. l12/12 1108303
Korgan, 44d 3h, 236 kills including the Shade Lich from the old sewers. l15 1849100
Solaufein, 10d 16h, 70 kills including the Lich in the Undead City below the Unseen Eye Cult. l13/13 1331219
Jan, 10d 0h, 10 kills including a Mind Flayer in the Hammer of Thunderbolts rooms in the Temple Sewers. l 12/13
Mazzy, 4 days, ? kills, l12.

/\ note that those numbers from Jan and Mazzy are incomplete, as i had no recent save including them, last save was prior to the Unseen Eye for Jan, when Mazzy wasnt in the party yet.

For more statistical fun, average number of hours for a kill:
1. Solaufein 3.66 hours/kill
2. Korgan 4.49
3. Minsc 5.59
4. Hendrika XVI 5.76
5. Haer-Dalis 5.86
6. Imoen 6.28
7. Nalia 7.61
8. Yoshimo 8.40
9. Jaheira 9.43
10. Valygar 17.00
11. Quayle 23.03
12. Jan 24.00
(Viconia got killed before use, Mazzy was used, but no stats recorded before game end, Aerie, Keldorn, Edwin and Anomen werent used. Hmm i did use Cernd for some time, maybe i can dig up his stats still.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:22 pm 

Title:
Heh. Bad Kangaxx strategy then, what can I say. Protection from Undead scrolls are the best way to beat him and they are fairly common in temples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:44 pm 
Patron

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next