Number 22 died over a week ago, in the Cloakwood, another first-timer. I wandered too far off to the west, looking for Centeols den to have some fun with him, but i apparently missed it. This had me approaching the Phase Spiders on the coast, and apparently, the web trap there is the only one i know off that goes off at the same time you see the spider. Afaik all the other ones have the trap or the spiders first, so if you're careful you never hit both at the same time.
In any case, my Avenger was second in line, with only Ajantis in front when i tried to run away from the web instead of drinking potions while i could do so. I believe three guys werent webbed, and i pulled those back, but they could do little more than fling some bullets and cast a non working sleep spell. When the phase spider had eaten trough Ajantis it advanced on my main, i tried to sent in the rest to have them get eaten first, while trying to cast invisibility on my main, but all free chars got stuck in the web before they passed Hendrika XXII, which meant the end for him.
Apparently though, i have managed to throw away my notes already, so no kill lists for this party
Ah, i see why now, since that last post nobody else died (ajantis joined though), except for the party
. Still though, no stats for the party that survived, which is bad, because i guess its Xzars record..
Anyway, the good news is, Hendrika XXIII advanced in the second installment of BG again, so the randomiser is on my list, and im now rolling treasures in the Druid Grove.
This time i made an Inquisitor, the last two fellows died of being held so that seemed a good idea to get a different ending this time over. (Of course i later noted this doesnt totally free me of webs, though it does seem to do so partially, its a tad quirky when it comes to that spell, i also got stunned somewhere btw). I did the Inquisitor once before, but that doesnt really count as that guy died to Tarnesh on the stairs of the Friendly Arm Inn.
I Found the Gauntlets of Dex quickly, again in the Ankheg cave, a tad coincidental id say as from what i read from the randomiser notes it can be in like 25 places, lucky me. No Str Gauntlets or Boots of Speed though. Armor was dropping well, i had the second Full Plate, the Ankheg Plate and the one Plate +1 that allows protective jewelry all before the big city. Next the Iron Throne dropped both a Ring and Cloak +2, which with the still in place Balduran items makes for a -10 on my main.
Also found the Dagger of Venom, which i up till now pretty much always ignored, also because i could use my money elsewhere, and didnt have the profs on a tank for it. I took a point now and still hack with it occasionally. I also found the resistance package (2x Fire Res Ring, Boots of Grounding and Helmet of Defense), didnt make too much use of it yet though.
During the whole of BG1 it was the Inquisitor who was the tank, well, ever since the Gauntlets of Dex made their entrance. The party had a large number of fighters pretty much all the time, with only Imoen dualled at level 2 being a non fighter, along with Xzar and Clerics, all of whom fell, apart from Imo. For instance, the post cloakwood party held Ajantis, Coran, Myself, Montaron and Yeslick, thats a lot of painful arrows in there.
Only in BG2 i decided to drop the tanking again, mainly because of Death Magic being the most serious threat there. In part 1 i was immune to Hold and Charm, and near immune to Fear, so only Confusion was somewhat of a risk, also AC wise, especially with a Pro Evil those pallys have in abundance i got only hit by twenties, which is not the case in BG2, there Defensive Harmony comes in handy.
Weapon wise im using Slings, Longswords and Daggers, and im thinking about expanding into Axes.
A few interesting encounters Hendrika XXIII came across:
* the pantaloons nobleman tipped me, 18 cha is good for something
* Clerics were dying quickly this time, while it was Fighters last game. Branwen went down while fleeing from a pack of Ghouls while travelling, and Viconia nearly died to Mulahey holding her, before Baerin, one of Kirians lackeys in the Basilisk area shot her down.
* The quick speed Dispel Magic and True Seeing have been working wonders against mages like Nimbul, who have no chance of going around mirror imaged.
* Hareishan in the cloakwood mines had another of his famous Lightning Bolts, which flew trough a corridor killing Shar Teel and Xzar, while Imoen and my main where only saved trough Absorption potions and the Boots of Grounding and Monty swallowed it.
* Davaeorn got dispelled and, yes, silenced
* Ajantis nearly killed Coran while both were confused by Iron Throne members.
* Eldoth died while saving Skie, because i was raiding the house with Monty, and had around 12 Flaming Fists on my heels. I was lucky to have him use a wand of fear prior to going down else things would have been much worse. Of course there was no killing the fists because I am a paladin. (Im sure Monty wondered what he was doing around us quite a bit) In any case, the Flaming Fists were still surrounding me around the entrance to the manor, and i needed quite a few invisibilities and going in and out to save my guys, but succeeded, including Skie who didnt get to get unseen.
* Alora was gone from the Hall of Wonders before i went to the Cats already. (Well, i think so, i checked at 23, 00, 04 and 05 before i gave up on it, afaik 2-5 is fine at least). I did kill of the Iron Throne already, and accidentally talked to one of Scars guys in the Fist district south of the Seven Suns. I guess that triggered her to disappear, need to save that quartet (Eldoth, Skie, Alora, Tiax) even earlier then.
* Aargh killed Coran with a 40 damage crit, apparently he wasnt wearing helmet all that time.
* Something went awry in the Duchal Palace, and it turns out Resilient Sphere is working quirky. (Maybe since installing the randomiser) I sphered but Liia and Belt, but they didnt initiate dialog after the spell wore off, unlike in previous runs. I tried it twice actually because these kinds of bugs of course dont end my no reload runs, but it appears to be consistent. The third time i just killed the doppels quickly enough, and they did initiate dialog. That might mean though that this encounter became a lot harder.
* And for the loveliest encounter of all, though i must say the stuff with Eldoth ranks up there as well, Rahvins Cloudkill party. I was in no mood to grind some XP, so with my level 6 party i went towards the Undercity to get to BG2. I planned it all out, sanctuaried scout; dispelling, true sighting, silencing and double fireballing out of sight range; scattered party, ranged weapons only, etc. However the butt load of spells was only targeted at their front half, and when i scouted again the two mages and an archer still remained, with all those crazy buffs on them. Another dispel stripped the cloudkill guys' defenses, but a magic missile came to late to interrupt that one spell, cloudkill. Of course too, i was targeted at my main, great
. I ran backwards away from my party to double check it follows me instead of my old location, and of course it did. I was already saying damn and stuff, when i looked trough my potions and saw a magic blocking one, which i drank, and by then had also ran away far enough to not getl the rest of the party killed.
* Sarevok was easy with summons and resilient spheres.
Hendrika XXIII - Inquisitor (6)
Join Order: 1: Imoen, 2: Montaron, 3: Xzar, 4: Jaheira, 5:Khalid, 6:Ajantis, 7: Branwen, 8: Viconia, 9: Shar Teel, 10: Yeslick, 11: Coran, 12: Eldoth, (Skie, Tiax) 13: Kivan
Left in Game: Safana, Kagain, Garrick, Jaheira, Khalid, Xan, Edwin, Dynaheir, Minsc, Faldorn, Skie, Tiax, Quayle.
1 Branwen, Ghoul paralysis while travelling to and fro mines, 0 kills, 2d10h
2 Viconia, Baerin arrows (Kirians party), Basilisk Area, 19 kills incl Ghoul, 21d10h
3 Xzar, Hareishan Lightning Bolt, Cloakwood Mines l2, 28 kills incl Vampiric Wolf, 40d15h
4 Shar Teel, Hareishan Lightning Bolt, Cloakwood Mines l2, 24 kills incl Sirine, 10d6h
5 Eldoth, Flaming Fist while fleeing from Silvershield estate, 0 kills, 2d8h
6 Alora, disappeared from Hall of Wonders due to finishing Iron Throne
7 Coran, Aargh the Ogre crit, Iron Throne revisited, 38 kills incl Tuth (Iron Throne Candlekeep), 18d18h
Hendrika XXIII, l6 Inquisitor, 173 kills incl Gr Basilisk, 80d0h
Dagger of Venom/Shield +1, FPM, Helm & Cloak Balduran, Ring +2, Ring Free Act, Gaunts Dex, Boots Avoid, Golden Girdle.
Montaron, l5/6 Fighter/Thief, 110 kills incl Davaeorn, 78d23h
Ssw Backstab/Shield +1, FPM, Helm Defense, 2xRing Fire, Boots Ground, Cloak +2, Girdle Pierce
Kivan, l6 Ranger, 23 kills incl Slythe, 4d12h
Ankheg Plate, Comp Lb +1, Halberd +2
Imoen, l(2)6 Thief->Mage, 72 kills incl Sirine, 67d0h
Robe Good Archmagi, Bracers Archery, Ring Wizardry
Ajantis, l6 Paladin, 107 kills incl Taugosz Khosann, 67d0h
Thr Axe +2/Shield +1, Gaunt Wp Exp.
Yeslick, l6/6 Fighter/Cleric, 18 kills incl Krystin, 27d10h
'Ringplate'+1, Helm Charm Prot, Ring Holiness, Sling +1/Shield +1
Im already quite a bit into BG2, fiddling around with the new random item stuff, and gaining some levels to see where my HP will end up. And they will be bad. If i remember correctly, i had three 2s in there. The end result right now is only just a bit below the mean to be honest, but i only have one roll left and just passed the 50 mark, i fear i wont be Horrid Wilting immune.
The Irenidungeon went quite easy, apart from one little thingy. Since Monty is a fighter/thief, he needs to unequip his full plate every trap i come across. I didnt expect it to happen this soon, but forgetting this caused him to get backstabbed by the first thief you come across. For 39 damage. Right, gone thief, and gone secondary tank with -6 ac.
I next took out the Slavers Compound with Yoshimo added to the party, and spent my money from BG1 in the Adventurers Mart on a slew of +2 weapons and the Pale Green Ioun Stone for Imoen.
I had a bit of fun with the Pally stronghold, doing the quest about Anarg, before heading towards Imnesvale. I have the not-randomise percentage set on 2%, so theres still a chance of finding maybe the Gauntlets of Dexterity for BG2, being the Ilbratha, so thats one target, the other being the Beljuril and Diamond to upgrade the Valhalla horn. (Along with some easy xp).
No Ilbratha here, but something else that makes up for it quite well, my first pair of Boots of Speed.
The shadow ruins were harder than expected btw, because for some reason i had forgotten those shadows need to be hit by magical weapons, not arrows. I didnt have too much trouble though, and found a pair of very decent axes, the fire +3 one, and the lovely Azuredge, which i never used well, because it requires a good (non-Korgan) guy to wield it. Ajantis is such a guy, so i decided to switch tanks (Yeslick had been the tank for BG2), requipping all the fellows so the great AC is with the pally.
Very bad choice of course, as he lacks the dwarven saves that led me to picking Yeslick as tank in the first place. This turned out important right at the next mage, the Shade Lord. Who, yes, of course, cast a Finger of Death at Ajantis, killing him.
I opted for another dwarven tank, Korgan did so well with number 16 too, so why not have him around already. Of course he cant use the Azuredge, but that is why im thinking of taking axe anyway, as my main is now slinging from the backline. With him around i cleared the graveyard for his personal quest and headed to trademeet to kill some genies and druids.
Hendrika XXIII, l9 Inquisitor
Party: me, Kivan, Yeslick, OldImoen, Yoshimo, Korgan
Left in Game: Nalia, Anomen, Keldorn, Viconia, Jan, Edwin, Mazzy, Cernd, Valygar, Aerie, Jaheira, Minsc, HaerDalis (NewImoen, Solaufein)
1 Montaron, backstabbed by Assassins in Irenidungeon, 18 kills incl Assassin, 1d14h
2 Ajantis, Finger of Death by Shade Lord, 25 kills incl Mephit Portal, 11d5h
, now let me pick a screenie for the other thread.