Viconia Romance/ Edwina (BG AARs)

From the late, great studio that brought us together
D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:18 pm

took some sleep and got the genius idea of preparing some protection from fire spells.
cast them on the party at first daylight, and proceeded into the northern rooms, where an apparently very dangerous creature called Imix waited for battle. He had a very bad day i suppose, because of the protection from fire...
Got a nice Harper Amulet for Haer Dalis, and had Cespenar make some items, including the Bards Gloves.

Delivered the hearts to Nyalee, who turned in a good battle, partly due to not being properly prepared.
My chars werent protected from mind affecting spells good enough, which resulted in a charm on my Viconia, while Haer and Ano were taking on Nyalee, and her Shambling Mounds.
Edwin tried some death spells which failed, somehow those creatures werent summoned after all, a Horrid Wilting took care of the smaller ones though (spiders and such). While a Remove Magic from him returned Viconia to the party.
Things werent over yet, because a nymph just outside the spell range now managed to charm Edwin, who was the one best equipped to dispel charms, and the item charms i had on the party werent succesfull. Shortly after some strange sleep spell totally crashed the party, putting Haer, Ano and Cernd to the ground.
Alas i had no area spells that damage party members left on my chars, so i couldnt wake them (i suppose target attacking them makes them an enemy)
With only Viconia and my Main left i flee from the shambling mounds, who are quickly killing Viconia. Viconia blocks teh stairs waiting for her death, while Carsondyr uses a Mislead scroll, and puts his image somewhere in the back. He runs up the stairs to start backstabbing the Nyalee char. Viconia somehow survived and managed to drink a potion, but is running circles now.
My main kills Nyalee in about 4 attacks, and shortly after my sleeping party wakes up. Haer and Ano make short work of the remaining woodsies. Edwin is still throwing his sling bullets to my chars, luckily he doesnt start mazing my chars. After some time of searching for a way to dispel him without taking all the buffs off (by another charm for instance), during which the duration runs out.

Now on towards the end of Yaga Shura.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:13 am

There *is* something about those closefought battles...

Wading through hordes of cannonfodder is not really fun, nor is having your ass handed to you by unreasonable tough opponents.

But those close fought ones, where things ends up with a few hp on your main character and friends and foes alike are lying on the field of battle... epic :cool:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:32 pm

Hmm, i dont know whether i've talked about this around here before, but along with the story above I had been thinking about soloing trough the game once. I picked that line of though up last week, and continued my lone Jester.

I've got a new colleague who has done some solo runs in the past, and he gave me great tips like running to Daystar and kill the Lich there for some nice xp.

I'm coping with the game nicely right now. The Jester is a bard with a confuse song, useful enough for tight situation. I handled most of what i did with some mage defense (mirror image and haste, as soon as i could stoneskin too) and Vampiric Touch, which is nice at that point.
I fetched that Daystar sword after leaving the dungeon, and continued to the temple building fo the stun-katana, that was the hardest fight iup to now, but i had a wand of cloudkill from somewhere and cheesed my way trough with that and impr inivisbility.
With the Katana i went trough the slaver quest, picking up the Tuigan bow along the way. With that set-up i continued a bit, taking out the Tanner, one of the liches in the Bridge district and clearing the Sewers of the Temple district, including setting free Haer Dalis. (I got Mekrath with a small series of Fireballs) Has some truble with the party and the Rakshasa there.
Continued siding with Bodhi for the first time and took out the shadow thieves and the nobleman. (also picked up the Mace of Disruption while at it). I have now just killed Gaelan Bayle.
The plan is to fetch a boots of speed with Haer's quest if somewhat possible, and then take out the unseeing cult, circus and the shadow thieves.

Things are going surprisingly smooth, as i just have been enabled to cast level 5 spells, and am sunfiring around a bit, whilst stoneskinned/imaged/hasted with the stun-katana and that extra speed bow. I'd like the boots and a caster-chainmail, but the last will take some time i fear. The thing giving me the most trouble are the movement impeding spells, my wisdom is quite low, and i tend to get hit by nearly every Fear, Hold or Charm spell. It is time i find the proper necklaces and rings against that.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:06 pm

Ah, good old solo runs. I took part in a few back in the interplay boards days.

The only one I remember well is the weak character solo. You only got something like 50 total points to use for your stats, and you could not have any 18s for any of your stats. You could use only one ability boosting item total to get to one score to 18 though (gloves of dex, belt of strength, ring of charisma and whatnot).

I did the Swashbuckler/mage, and it wasn't so bad. I could do damage well enough and had some bonus to AC (I dont recall what level I dual classed at, probably 13 or so).

Good times.

Really, you should have started a new thread :p

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:39 am

hmmm, if i'm correct i'm human with something like 10/18/16/18/9/15 or so, a bit on the powerful side i guess, but that might be compared to 3e. i already bought the hill giant belt, which i thought as quite required to carry anything.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:17 pm

Hmm, my fear of having to spend a lot of time without a caster-chain was ungrounded. As soon as i headed into the Astral Prison i found a Meldoic Chain +3 along with the Boots of Speed. Now that was a very good choice to do as first thing.
The battle was quite hard, but i went in with ImpInv after some tries and headed to the thralls east of the entrance, which i did manage to lay down and rest afterwards. Now i was able to send in some Cloudkills and Fireballs to that room, which they naturally didnt survive. Took the place piece by piece, luckily evading the master thralls death gaze, until the Cambion leader there came around. It took me a number of tries since i didnt manage past his spell arsenal, as fifth spell or so the cambion decided to PW:Stun me everytime, couldnt stop it, after some different damaging tactics i managed to Feeblemind the meanie :D, when i succeeeded it was a pushover of course. I happily added the Boots of Speed, Melodic Chain +3 and Adjatha's Drinker +2 (with immunity to charm) to my inventory, and took up the bard stronghold.
(a first timer for me, i invested 3K, and have now twice chosen for Jenna, unleashing my thorn on the cocky elf everytime i get the chance. It doesnt even matter she's cocky btw, she's an elf.)
I ran trough the Circus Tent afterward and continuad to the Shadow Thieves enclave, on my way dispatching Prebek's lackeys.
The enclave was quite doable, Sunfire and Fireball get me trough most situations here. Only trouble was on my way back pushing the button, where i was quite exhausted in spells and still had to take out the named guard on the wooden part. It took me some spare scrolls and wand charges, but i managed.
The day after i took down Aren Linvail, the Shadow Fiends before him gave a little trouble, being immune to fire damage (or magic damage or whatever), i confused one of them with my song and hasted/mimaged took them down one by one, as such not being held by them, nasty creatures however. Aran Linvail proved to be quite easy, falling prey to Adjatha's Drinker, which made sure all his domination fun didnt work. The Amulet of Power was added.
I went back to Bodhi to tell her the success, and on my way demolished the spider den for the Spell Immunity scroll there (Lucky hit, i hoped on the Free Action Ring, but that appears to be Spellhold, this is something i've been looking for however.)
[On that account, i'm still searching for a Minor Sequencer" scroll, anyone know who sells one? not the ones in Waukeen, Coronet or Bridge i know]
I think i'll head for Spellhold fast, i want that ring ;), plus i'm level 16 and have just been allowed level 6 spells, so i think i am ready for that part. I will try and take out Kangaxx before that (which is why i found out i dropped Daystar, couldnt find it whilst retracing my steps, concluding i dropped it in the astral prison. Hence i recreated it (connecting to the post in the sticky). With the newly found Spell Immunity scroll i might have a chance there.
I think i will skip the out of town activities and Unseeing Eye for when i come back from Underdark. for instance because i'll need to take down Thaxl for the Crom. I think the same goes for the Planar Sphere of Valy.

Ow, for your amusement: these are my skills/equip:
str10/dex18/con16/int18/wis9/cha15 (str19, hill giant belt)
level 16 Jester (1390761 xp)
Thac0 12 (6), lore 160, pickpock 105, rep 17 (bought from 11)
saves: PPD 10 / RSW 8 / PetPol 9 / Brth 13 / Spll 9
profs: Long Sword, Katana, War Hammer, Halberd, Longbow, Shortbow
learnspell 85, AC -3
spellbook: (slots: 4-3-3-3-2-1)
L1: Charm Person, Chromatic Orb, Color Spray, Find Familiar, Friends, Identify, Magic Missile, Prot f Evil, Prot f Petr, Shocking Grasp, Sleep, Infravision
L2: Aganazzar, Blur, Mirror Image, Inivisiblity, Knock, Det. Invisibility, Melfs Acid Arrow, Prot f Fear, Vocalize, Strength, Stinking Cloud, Horror
L3: Dire Charm, Fireball, Dispel Magic, Remove Magic, Lightning Bolt, Haste, Slow, Monster Summon I, Vampiric Touch
L4: Stoneskin, Imp Invisibility, Greater Malison, Monster Summon II, Emotiion, Otilukes Resilient Sphere, Polymorph Other, Spider Spawn, Wizard Eye
L5: Sunfire, Breach, Cloudkill, Domination, Feeblemind, Hold Monster, Spell Immunity, Cone of Cold
L6: Death Spell, Chain Lightning, Contingency, Prot f Magic, Spell Deflection, Stone to Flesh, Flesh to Stone, Summon Invisible Stalker, Conjure Fire Elemental, Summon Nishruu
L7: Summon Hakeashar
L8: Prot f Energy
Equipment:
Amulet of Power (eq)
Cloak of the Sewers (eq)
Melodic Chain +3 (eq)
Celestial Fury (eq)
Belt of Hill Giant Strength (eq)
Boots of Speed (eq)
Pale Green Ioun Stone (eq)
Cat Familiar
Adjatha the Drinker +2 (vs charm)
Daystar +2 (vs undead)
Mace of Disruption +2 (also vs undead)
Tuigan Bow
Longbow +2 (80 arrows, 5 fire, 5 biting)
Rings: Human Influence, Invisibility, Djinni, Energy
Spider Figurine
Wands: Cloudkill (5), Lightning (6)
Scroll Case: 1x Dire Charm, Dispel Magic, Stoneskin, Remove Fear, Imp Inv, Chain Light, Prot Electricity (green), Restoration.
Potion Container: Extra Healing (16), Invisibility (13), Genius (5), Oil Speed (2), Insulation (2), 1x: Master Thievery, Invulnerability, Stone Form, Fire Prot, Insight, Freedom. Baalor Ale.
/rant

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:06 am

Minor sequencer... I wouldnt know off hand who would sell such a thing, but I would try the thief that shows up on the far east of the promenade at night, the merchant who you can barter with in the city gates (he is accosted by some ruffian or something), or the merchant in the north of Trademeet (after you dispatch the genies).

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:43 pm

hmm, mikesrpgcenter in the stickies here is a good one for these kind of sales databases, minor sequencer is sold in trademeet, i'll head over there soon.

That Kangaxx' ring is a stiffly priced trinket btw. After i defeated the lich in the temple district i found out that Gaxx' building was locked, as far as i have came across, the only lock of importance of Athkathla, and as such costing me 5000 gp to cast a knock in the city streets. Add to that that his demilich form needs +5 weapons to get hit (took me some tries to ensure me of that ;)).
With Everard's Sling being to costly at the moment, and i can't remember any other +5s close, i had to go with Melfs Minute Meteors. Alas filling my l3 spells with them wasn't enough damage, i needed the whole stock from Amart, 3 castings and 3 scrolls for 78 bullets (during two spell immunities:abj), but he went down, and i've got me a decent ring.
The lich before the demi took me some while too, i suppose he's a bit stronger than the other 3 in the city bounds, as Daystar only got it halfway down. With the beast casting Prot MW all the time i wasnt really getting trough him. I actually quite cheesed trough, running upstairs at every impeding casting (domination, chaos, PW's the whole lot), Eventually he was trough his three triggers/contingencies and i could hit him with Celestial Fury.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:32 pm

I found the ring of the ram to be quite helpful in dealing with Kangaxx, although I've never tried to go one on one with him :roll:

Berserkers rage and spell immunity vs. abjuration (or whatever it is called) is a must against all his imprisonment spells :)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:56 pm

berserker rage, yes that's an option too... i thought up this option;
helpless1.jpg
helpless2.jpg

ah and two other treats i found lying around:
a present for the Temple of Helm
On my way out of the compound where Celestial Fury is i (of course) accidently stepped on the summoning trap with the demon family. Of course the fellows insisted on following me, and are still scourging the temple district of Athkathla...

bestnpcs
These two, together maybe with the mad priest in the docks district are my favorites of all time, especially when you first meet her and her sentences are also with speech.

Anyway, i have ventured into Spellhold at the moment. After taking Kangaxx i was so low on money i didnt even have money for the sequencer if i found it, so i took down the band of brigands in the bridge district (also from the first helpless pic).
After that i went to Trademeet, and became l17 along the way. In Trademeet things went a bit too easy, I killed the Genies with ease, and letting Cernd take care of Faldorn was no problem at all too. I skipped past some druids while invisible and was able to head straght for them. There was a bug on my way there however, the three Trolls attacking a group of shadow druids there are invulnerable. For some reason, after they die they are immune to fire damage, which means they kept rising. Not that much of a problem, i dont need to come back here anymore.
I got a way too big bunch of gold for the two quests, and my rep went to 18 (i am now noticing the gold discount, on 18 it starts to become quite big).
I bought a number of scrolls i'd think will come in use there, like the minor sequencer i told about, but also True Sight, Impr Haste, Disintegrate and Prot MW. The Imp Haste charges of that Gaxx ring are the most useful ability btw, i never used it that much considering the duration and it being only one person which was too few in a party of six. I also bought the Inertial Barrier belt, which will probably have its use in a heavy magic battle to come.
Ihtafeer and his men were quite easily taken too, which somewhat surprised me, i was quite able to interrupt them while improved hasted and using a bit of minute meteors and my katana.
I also kept the spear of the unicorn for its anti-hold ability, and the shield of harmony, which i'll put in the holding bag until i get 'use any item'
I did manage to forget buying Tenser Transformation, which is actually really stupid. In my opinion it is the most powerful Bard spell.. Alas it was apparently sold in the Slums by some fellow named Terrece, which i havent come across. The second place is the lower reaches, aka the Forgotten Gods place, another stage i skipped for Spellhold :(. (according to Mikesrpgcenter those are the places) I hope it pops up from a random container one day.
I raced trough Brynnlaw too, the mage with the key didnt live trough two sunfires, and Galvena's lackeys were taken down in the same day. I am now right at the start of the labyrinth, hoping to find the Bag of Holding soon.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:58 pm

There was a bug on my way there however, the three Trolls attacking a group of shadow druids there are invulnerable. For some reason, after they die they are immune to fire damage, which means they kept rising. Not that much of a problem, i dont need to come back here anymore.
For some reason, I remember that as being a bug of unfinished business mod. Are you using that?

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:19 am

hmm, i'm playing BG2+ToB version 26498 with baldurdash patches (fixpack, language text update), the 'safe' xp cap remover from sorcerersplace and the mod fix thingie for extra bhaalspawn abilities

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:35 pm

wandered a small bit further picking up the bag of holding at the clay golem and solving the riddles for the stones and the portal.
Couldnt get past the greater werewolfs regeneration in damage amounts, so i locked him in the room where i found the bag of holding. Destroyed the kobolds and ran my way trough the book for the ring of free action. fine treasures. I took out the Mind Flayer and Beholder with Melfs Minute Meteors while being improved hasted btw. also gained a level, so i should be 18 i think.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:51 pm

continued a bit on second crestmush day, i'm now level 21 and mopping up the sahuagin city.

daystarred the vampire and delivered his hand to the statue. Fought the paintings in the next room getting the feeling i'm starting to become a bit overpowered. I can beat loads of minotaurs, and with the proper spell immunity (enchantment) I took down the flayer, troll, hulk and djinni from the painting room in one battle. (two sunfires a bit of meteors for the flayer and a chromatic orb for the hulk left) I searched trough the options of the item creation machine and decided to put both protection pairs of boots in my bag of holding, i already had speed and the jester chain is only 1 ac better than the melodic one, i honestly only want a good fpm for once i get use any item.
The Gauth managed to kill me once, of which i'm quite ashamed, but at least there is still some challenge to be had. one the second try it killed itself from the spell turning book. The myconids at the tests confused themselves with the book too :) this is a good pick, the duration is quite ok too and somehow the feeling becreeps me that i wont get any l7 spells. on l20 i got a lone level 1 slot, but a proficiency was included (which i spent on 2handedswords, for both the silver sword in the future and the sword i just found, flame of the north or something, a 2hs that gives 10% magic resistance extra, which boosts me to 25 which is quite ok.
Also picked up the electricity reflection cloak, which make the boots of grounding immediately redundant. I also have been starting use Fireshield with my 4th level 4 slot, it works wonderfully with all those stoneskin and mirror images to eat up.
Continued taking out the jailkeeper and rallying my Tiax and mates for the final battle. Its a fun thing about this solo thing that you can pay much more attention to what the crazies do, since i needed two tries, (didnt rest properly for the first one), especially Tiax, Wanev and Dradeel stay upright quite nicely. Alas on the second try the late Abu Dalzim's took the lot down. I took down Irenicus with some improved hasted minute meteors and a little help from a finger of death by wanev and a beautiful small hit by Tiax rules all.
Accepted Saemon and took the boot, both the pirate fellow and the githyanki were pushover, the first needed a double salvo of sunfires, the other some improved hasted meteors, concentrating on the captain of course.
After that i ran trough the Sahuagin city, i'm able to get some speed up by now ;). Sided with the King and solved the imp riddles and convinced the beholder to let me look in the chest with a potion of insight. The real treasure from the day came from the assorted zombies in the pit area: The Sea Zombie Lord dropped me a Tenser scroll, i'll have some fun with the drow soon :).
fought trough the rebel army and the prince very fast, all those sahaugin fall to death spell so i clustered them around the prince, who i then took down. I returned to smash the king too of course, there's gold to be had from these creatures. Now the exercise will be finding the cloak of mirroring, which should be around somewhere. Then its the Underdark.

guessed equip update:
l21 Jester, 19/18/16/18/8/18
Celestial Fury/Tuigan Bow (w acid piercing biting fire and +2 arrows)
Melodic Chain +3/Lavender Ioun stone/Amulet of Power
Ring of Gaxx/Ring of Freedom
Cloak ot Sewers/Boots of Speed/Belt of Hill Giant Strength
Cat Familiar
Spare Weaponry:
Daystar, Mace o Disruption, Spear ot Unicorn, Adjatha's Drinker, Flame ot North (or something, the 10% mr sword)
Spare Protective Gear:
Ring of Human Influence, Ring of Regeneration (for rest), Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection, Boots of the North
Usable Magic
some summoning stuff like the Spider and the Djinni ring, A quite large number of 7 and 8 spells and some Breaches, Wands of Cloudkill and Lightning, Book of spells:Spell Turning, Contingency(Helpless->Improved Invisibility)
Usual Spell Selection
1: Chromatic Orb, Magic Missile
2: Mirror Image, Knock, Detect Invisibility
3: Melfs Minute Meteors, Slow
4: Stoneskin, Improved Invisibility, Minor Sequencer, Fireshield Red
5: Sunfire, Hold Monster, Spell Immunity
6: Death Spell, Improved Haste, Tensers Transformation
Some spells i have for other situations:
arcane eye, true seeing, breach, pierce magic, lower resistance, haste, fireball, lightning bolt, melfs acid arrow, protection from a certaine lement, protection from magic weapons, protection from magic energy, otiluke resilient sphere, greater malison, cloudkill, chain lightning, strength, remove fear, remove magic, dispel magic, dire charm, disintegrate, oracle, Monster Summon 1-3, vampiric touch, polymorph i/o, cone of cold, feeblemind, domination, shadow door, contingency, flesh to stone to flesh, mislead, pw silence and some assorted summons including Nishruu.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:33 am

Meh, for some reason I've never tried siding with the king yet...

*writing down notes*

Not that I think it makes much of a difference, it just irritates me, after all this time and playthroughs, there are things left untried :roll: