Viconia Romance/ Edwina (BG AARs)

From the late, great studio that brought us together
D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:01 am

small update, i am in Ust Natha and became level 23 i think, i've got two special abilities, use any item and the 20d6 trap, spells still not going up, let's hope after i get the single level six one.
I made an error in the last post, didnt spent the point on 2handedswords, but on spears, probably with the impaler and ot unicorn in mind. The last has become redundant trough the shield of harmony i now wear because of use any item. I also ahve the armor of the hart and drow fpm +5 if i would need the ac sometime.
People keep going down nicely to the meteors and sunfires, although a bit more protection seems to be required now and then, for instance at the fight with the shadow thieves party.
I'm still pondering on the 2hs's though, the +4 thingie with thaco penalties from the kuo toa prince seems nice too. Defeated the Demon Knights in the main style i described around here, taking them one by one. An invisible stalker scroll was the sacrifice, and i now wear the frost giant belt.
Ah yes, the portal quest was quite irritating btw, that mage fellow kept on dying from attacking the elementals, i had to make him invisible on several occasions.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:46 pm

thought up something easier to show my char:
Character Sheet
Character Inventory

note that this was taken in the Sahuagin city

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:09 pm

I always wondered if there was any point in putting points (bad pun) in pickpocket skill in the BG's

I know that I could have Annah collect a fortune in rings and earrings in PS:T, but I never saw much point in it in BG2 (being the one I've played the most).
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:00 pm

Hmm i've used pickpocket about three times this game, of which one was quite useful, i pickpocketed the mage book from the svirfneblin in the underdark, as such evading the outrageous 300 gold he wants for it.

I just installed a number of small tweaks from the Gibberlings Three pack, including an edited spell progression which is more like the true ad&d rules, for instance giving bards access to level 7 spells on high levels.

It's quite a nice fix pack btw, with around 50 different options, all of which can be installed separately, things i took:
-remove helmet animations
-weapon animation tweaks (spears thrust)
-armor icons on ground improvement
-lower hp triggers for wounded banter
-gragual drow item disintegration
-add containers to SoA (ammo belt)
-gem & potion identification
-multiple strongholds (yes its a bit lame, but this way i can check some of those i havent tried yet)
-female Edwina voice & portrait
-bug fixes Imoen banter in ToB and Romances
-p&p spell progression tables
-universal clubs (clubs are usable by mages, as said in decsription)
-weapon styles for all (i see no reason why they couldnt)
-%al penalties for thieving or casting in armor as per ad&d
-expanded dual class options for barbarians and
-wear multiple protection items (without stacking, but with special abilities that do not overlap, as per ad&d)
-fixes to spell thac0s saves and such
-shopkeepers have limited identify capabilities
-magically created weapons do not weigh nothing
-+x/+y weapons like daystar or the anti-shapeshifter blade perform consistently.
-remove claok of mirroring/spell turning animation (the hideous white globe)
-staffs, clubs and slings can be sold for 1 gp
-fate spirit summoning fix, it cannot call up any killed chars and such

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:29 am

Lot's of interesting little things in there... I think I'll go look for it. I find it especially attractive if I can just pick which ones I want to install :cool:

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:59 pm

Indeed, there's quite useful stuff in there, i love the removal of the white globe, and i just got my first level 7 spell, decided to try a bit of project image with it, though to be honest i'm not really needing the spell level yet, it jsut gives me more choices to fiddle with.

I moved up a bit in the ranks of the drow, defeating the mind flayers, the party in between those was quite nasty, had to concentrate on the mage there. Defeated Qilue, and the beholder at the platform. After that i amde a deal with Solaufein to let him disappear and destroyed the monsters in the tavern. Alas i am not recognized as a mage to do the other challenges, although i'd say i'm a quite capable caster..
I already tried a demolishing of the city, when i decided to show up late at Phaere, i destroyed about half of the city in a day, after which i wandered past Deirex's Tower, and decided i wanted to do that thing first, so i reloaded on second thought.
I believe i'm now in the process of finding out how smart it is to give the kuo toan prince blood to the drow, or racew trough the flayer and beholder lairs first. I have three days for both, considering the city lockup if you give them one of the treasures. The Mind Flayers might be a bit much for three days, i'll see.
I sided with the silver dragon for the cover-up btw, i'm not decided however whetehr i mightnt go after her scales afterwards..

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:37 pm

One of my favorite magey strategies is chain contingency with three project images. Super duper wizard power x3. Then just blast everything you see.

As bard, it looks like it will be a while before you start doing that.

I always do all three monster blood quests before turning the parts in, so that they take all three parts and there isnt just a piece of stuff wasting space in my pack. Im the type that never drops quest stuff (unless its in a receptacle like a barrel in the Adventurers mart, the first floor of Watcher Keep, or the pocket plane in ToB)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:35 am

I usually do 2 of them first, before entering the city, for pretty much the same reasons :lol:

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:33 pm

Hmm, i believe i that that in the past too, but this time i waited a while because i expected them to be tight dungeons.
I managed the flayer city with two rests, once after taking the first room of illthids after the outbreak and once after i disintegrated the brain and was fleeing for the golems and uli's nearby.
I took out those golems with the anti golem rod thingie from ust natha, i must reconsider what i said earlier when i had it with the party, it is quite ok, and i dont even have proficiency.
Afterwards i gave the piwawfi cloak to phaere, and noticed in the temple that i do have more time, i can simply tell them i havent got the necessary ingredients, although i already have two.

The flayer city was quite easy in retrospect, with the harmony shield their domination had no effect, and i could evade the int lowering attacks quite ok by staying out of melee, they did take a whole lot of minute meteors though.
I'm now just inside the beholder dungeon, it doesnt seem that hard with the cloak of mirroring and shield of harmony, but due to all the dispelling it is very slow going. Elder Orbs might pose problems, since spell immunities can be dispelled too. I might try the immunity against dispelling :).

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:13 am

I usually find the beholder lair (both of them actually) pretty dull and have no qualms about using the shield of balduran (Sp?) when travelling through it. Which of course might be a problem as bard... they can't use shields, can they?

That is normally a task for someone who can buff their saving throws when facing elder orbs. By the g0ds, I hate petrify :cool:

Edit: Very funny, somebody playing with the language filter again.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 pm

Yay! i beat the sigil room :)

daystarred the lich, then meteored my way trough the roguish one, another daystar on the vampire, more meteors for the eye and the mage :)
Ehm.
I also daystarred the vampires and Bodhi, wasnt able to pickpocket much of Drizzt and mates, although in the first encounter i managed to nick a nice invisibility ring from the girl in their company.
I finished Ust Natha, the old-fashioned way, helping the dragon and letting the females get sacrificed. Afterwards, i destroyed the drow city and went outside.
Ialswo bought me back the Helm of Balduran, since i can now wear it. Also bought the Helm of Brilliance there for an extra sunray.

I dint buy that shield of Balduran because indeed bards cannot wear shields, i can now, but with the mirroring cloak the beholders just take time. It's the firsat time i play with those bonus merchants anyway. I decided to buy Vhailor's helm for a daily simulacrum, which i wont reach myself.

One of those small mods is giving em a tad of trouble, the one that has armor give you percental spell failure. In the original game you can wear those shields without penalties, (if you can wear them), in this version as per 3e (at least) it gives a failure chance. Luckily the Harmony shield gives only 5%, a price i gladly pay for the immunities, but still...

The beholders werent so hard in hindsight too, i believe i didnt even take the dispel immunit to the elder orb, i just took it down with some delayed blast fireballs from my flute and some hits from an improved hasted sword. The Breach i opened with made the difference i suppose.

works quite nicely btw a cluster of those Delayed blast thingies, and then summoning a Hakeashar in between. I have also been expeirmenting with my first trap setting, a part i somewhat skipped all the earlier runs. probably a bit to hasty for that in the past, but the time stop trap buys me some nice time, like for daystarring Shandalar.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:50 am

I love playing the game as a thief for two reasons. There aren't any thieves that stick around (don't even think about mentioning the 'J' word!) and because you can set traps :cool:

Traps make a mockery of mindflayers, as it isn't a magical attack (i.e. forget about magic resistance). My only gripe is when playing an assassin, it would be nice if you hadn't to rely on equipment to boost your thac0. Where is the fun in x7 damage multiplier if you can't hit an unsuspecting, oversized troll in plain daylight? :P

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:50 am

Gorth wrote:Edit: Very funny, somebody playing with the language filter again.
Hehe, I should give you a warning for evading the language filter :D Ah well, one has to use ones admin powers for something...
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Yay, the bug-finder has had antoher success!
After all these years, still unfixed by all the small patches around...!

A Bard's misled image can still play his bardic song :)

not that there would be many people exploiting this one, it does make a tad of difference, especially with the improved song :)

I continued a bit further demolishing the unseeing eye cult, siding with the old god (i tried siding with Gaal, who decides on sacrificing you anyway :(), some ok treasures came out, like the saving grace shield, which is the best ac shield i ahve right now (in ust natha i wasnt willing to buy sentinel). I also put the hvy crossbow of accuracy in my pack, probably will never use it, but it gives a lot of thac0 bonus.
Took down the Crypt King for Namarra +2, which might be of use somewhere, and choose to finally put a proficiency in maces, to take the disrupting one with me to the Umar Hills.
I now have just bashed my way trough the Umar Hills dungeon, taking down the shdow lord with two sunrays and the shadow dragon was surprisingly easy with a simulacrum and salvos from both with minute meteors.
This might also be the spot to thank the Hakeashars that are my premium summon right now, they act quite nicely, for instance against the unseeing eye.

an equipment update will follow shortly.
The work to do in BG2 is getting the parts for Crom Faeyr (Planar Sphere (i have Valygars body, took down Mazzy too btw, for the Arvoreen sword) and Windspear Hills->Flayer dungeon. I think i'll also pick up the flail ot Ages, so i'll do the d'arnise keep, also want to take a look whether i can keep their signet ring. And of course there's a bit of trasure left in Suldan, like the better melodic chain.
I'm also thinking about looking into the ranger stronghold and mage stronghold (if the more strongholds mod thingie works) to take a look at the Moon dog Figurine and ring of wizardry.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:53 pm

hmm, this might already be a handy checklist if one of you want to give this a try, my equipment list as of now:

Level 39 Jester (whoops ;))
Thac0 -1/-8, ac -8, reputation 20
ppd 5, rsw 1, pp 4, brth 8, spells 2
Profs: Long Sword, Katana, Spear, Halberd, Mace, War Hammer, Longbow, Shortbow, 2 handed sword, 2 handed style, 1 handed style.
specials: 2x time trap, 3x spike trap, 3x exploding trap, 3x greater evasion, 1x magic flute, 1x evasion, 1x avoid death, 1x battle song.

Equipped:
Melodic Chain +3 (planar prison)
Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise (Bodhi's lair)
Helm of Balduran (Irenicus' prison)
Amulet of Power (Shadow Thieves lord)
Shield of Harmony (trademeet, druid grove)
Ring of Gaxx (Kangaxx the Lich)
Ring of Free Action (tome in spellhold)
Cloak of Mirroring (mouth @ sahuagin city)
Boots of Speed (planar prison)
Girdle of Frost Giant Strength (demon knights, kuo toa tunnels)
Celestial Fury (guarded compund, temple district)
-- spare weapons:
Mace of Disruption (Bodhis lair)
Daystar (lich @ city gates)
Halberd +4 Wave (Prince Villynaty Sahuagin City & Planar Prison)
Silver Sword (Githyanki attack on boat & Githyanki attack in Athkathla)
Gesen Bow (Glem guarded chest @ spellhold & Tanner in Bridge district)
Adjatha the Drinker (planar prison)
Flame of the North (mind flayer painting, spellhold)
Spear of the Unicorn (troll cave, druid grove)
Soul Reaver +4 (demon knights, kuo toan tunnels)
Staff of Command (mind flayer city)
Rod of Smiting (sold in Ust Natha)
Dragon's Breath +4 (Boz, during mind flayer attack on Phaere)
Staff of the Magi (sigil room in bridge district)
Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy (elite guard after killing unseeing eye)
Staff of Curing (tomb in graveyard district)
Namarra (crypt king in graveyard district)
Ilbratha (loot from Jermien the wizard, umar hills)
Sword of Arvoreen (mazzy, umar hill dungeon)
Tuigan Bow (beast master, slums distrcit under coronet)
-- spare armors/items
Book of Infinite Spells : Spell Turning (cowled wizard in Brynnlaw)
Black Spider FIgurine (Spider cave, graveyard)
Cloak of Reflection (on table during insanity tests)
Ring of Human Influence (circus tent)
Belt of Inertial Barrier (sold in trademeet)
Boots of hte North (5 tokens in the machine in spellhold)
Armor of the Hart +3 (demon knihgts, kuo toan tunnels)
Girdle of Hill Giant STrength (adventurers Mart)
Helm of Vhailor (adventurers mart)
Shield of Reflection (adenturers mart)
Ring of Fire Control (insane dwarf, mind flayer city)
Cloak ot Sewers (rakshasa in sewers)
Drow Full Plate +5 (not yet turned to dust :), first drow in underdark, near bridge)
Greenstone Amulet (beholder lair, underdark)
Saving Grace (Old God, tunnels under temple district)
Girdle of Fortitude (Gaal, unseeing eye cult)
Helm of Brilliance (A-MArt special stock)
Bracers of Blinding Strike (kuo toan prince, kuo toa tunnels)
Ring of Djinni SUmmoning (Genies, trademeet)
Ring of Invisibility (party @ tavern, promenade, woman in drizzts company)

spells in use:
L1: magic missile, chromatic orb
L2: mirror image, knock, blur
L3: melfs minute meteors, remove magic
L4: stoneskin, imp invisibility, fireshield
L5: sunfire, spell immunity, breach
L6: tensers transformation, true sight, protection from magic weapons, mislead, death spell, disintegrate
L7: summon hakeashar, finger of death, project image