strange annah zombie

From the late, great studio that brought us together
D. Sauzi

strange annah zombie

Post by D. Sauzi » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:46 pm

when i played PT several years ago i had this strange error of which a screenshot should be somewhere on my parents computer the situation is like this:

is the Godsmen hall (the big first one, i dont remember all of PT anymore) i saw this zombie standing i think near the entrance of the hall, it was a zombie as you see walking in the mortuary, but when clicked on it had the same responses as Annah has when she's in your party, she even was in my party at the moment. I couldn't tag the zombie along or anything and upon reloading the zombie was gone.

anyone else seen this annah/zombie mixup error before?

I can post the screenshot somewhere if you guys are interested, it might take some time retrieving it from my parents HD though, espeically visiting the parents that is.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:06 pm

sure noone has reported this before, though i must confess it sounds rather unbelievable it truly happened, i'd find it strange if I were the only one where this occured...

Of course you could say i edited the screenshot, but for your info i didn't :), i'll post the screen on next visit to my parents...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:30 pm

I didn't reply as I've no comment. Looks like justification though for another play.

Darque

Post by Darque » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:36 am

never seen anything like it.

was your game patched or prepatched?

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:22 pm

hmmmz prepatched, it might have something to do with that, i got a versaion from Realgamer, a dutch/belgian gaming magazine for which i've written some reviews several years ago, the magazine has gone down a year or two ago too btw, but i got a version from them which is kind of a prerelease i think, i'm not really sure but the setup screen looked pretty cheap, if one of you can describe the final setup screen i can see whether there was indeed a difference.

was there a prerelease version anyway, for magazines or something? I could go trough those magazines and find out about the date that i received the game, might compare that to the release date to see a difference...?

i think i've never patched the game, but i'm not really sure anymore, it might be that i installed the first patch that came out, but i'm not sure anymore, i deleted the game from my parents HD some time ago so i cant check it anymore.

btw Josan, my own reply want an accusation for being ignored, i just thought to remember you guys, cause i would find it strange if noone encountered this before...

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:25 pm

Hm, might be. It takes a simple dialog.tlk hickup to get these things (install mods for BG2 in some funky order and you'll have them too, hehehe).

There might also be a pre-release version for testing purposes. BG2 had one IIRC, and it had some annoying differences (eg. Sling of Everard being available at the Adventurer's Mart).
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Platter

Post by Platter » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:13 am

It's the Ubiquitous Zombie. When a dialog is called for, and that character is not there, the Ubiquitous Zombie is created and given that character's dialog file to prevent the game from crashing. It is the equivalent of Biff the Understudy in Baldur's Gate. From Torment's readme file;

* The Ubiquitous Zombie
This bug is believed to be fixed in all situations. If you have a
conversation which requires a 3rd person who is not present, The Ubiquitous
Zombie will appear and take the part of the other character.
This keeps the conversation from crashing the game and ensures the
player doesn't miss any critical game dialog. It is a bug, but at least
it's fun!
[url=http://www.planescape-torment.org/]Torment Fix Pack[/url]
[url=http://www.planescape-torment.org/?page=crap]Miscellaneous Torment Crap[/url]

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:47 pm

tnx, i knew it wasnt unique :)
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:43 am

Nice detective work, Platter.