Battlesquares...

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Debrina

Battlesquares...

Post by Debrina » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:37 pm

is it worth it?

In all the other IWD2 games...when I made it up to the Ice Temple...I just did the basic part of Battlesquares to get Oria's key...

...so I decided this time...hmmmmm...let's give it a go...

I think I shall change it to 'frustration squares' and then move on...is the booty and XP really worth this...???!!!??? :evil:

Sammael
Location: Citadel of Whispered Screams, The Nine Hells of Baator

Post by Sammael » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:18 am

Download the fix that gives you all BS goodies and XP without having to do it. It's a tedium, and it's most easily winnable with an undead-making cleric, though still annoying. The goodies are pretty good, though.
NEW! [b]Trivia: The Black Hound featured a scene in which a herd of sheep suddenly turns into high-level druids.[/b]

[url=http://baator.blogspot.com/]My new blog![/url]

Debrina

Post by Debrina » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:46 am

^ where is the site to download the goodies and xp at? or dare I ask...I'm sure if I searched, I could find...

...I've been trying to make a go at it with my monk (level 9)...but he appears to be missing more than hitting... :D

:D

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:06 pm

Level 9? I think I was level 12 or 13 when I did the battlesquares (granted I came back to the ice temple instead of doing them right away).

My powergamed Fighter(4)/Barbarian(X) plowed through them (with Improved Invisibility and Stoneskin cast on him).

Err, anyway, for the question:

http://www.weidu.org/

The IWD2 Ease of Use mod. I installed some of these components for my first runthrough right away, since I knew arrows would be a bid tedium (they were in all IE games, why would it be different...).
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Debrina

Post by Debrina » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:55 pm

@majestic...thanks I found it late last night...and installed it...of course it shook my game screen like a herd of elephants had 'just left the building', but shortly calmed down.

I had the monk pretty buffed up...ghost armor, barkskin, hope, protection from evil, haste...but I found that in rank 7...level 1...the greater feyr and also the cornugan...kept teleporting to my other party members in another room. They still took it down, and I still won the square, but having to do that for another 200 plus rounds...

I plan on running the same party through again in *HOF* mode, so maybe I'll give it another go then.

...I too added in the infinite stacking component...makes life sooo much easier. Did that for my BGII game also.

oh well...onwards we go...and

*pulls out the grey hair the frustration squares have given me*

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:48 am

I have not done the battlesquares but one tactic I suggest if you do attempt it is go for the big numbers in each level first - go for 7 squares right off the bat then if you lose a square you can regroup and still take 6 or 5 or whatever- if you have already completed all the others when you attempt to get 7 you will have to start over if you lose a single square....a real pain if you had just won 5 in a row...
Not all those who wander are lost...

UnholyAvenger

Post by UnholyAvenger » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:58 am

Infinite stacking is where its at. Life is good with this mod.

Battlesquares is kind of fun, the first time you do it. If you play the game again you lose your zeal to do the Battlesquares a second time.
http://godhatesshrimp.com Take a stand against shellfish!
http://youmustrecover.com Not a spam website!
Stickin' it to the man since 1988.

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:22 am

infinite stacking is just too cheesy for me- run down to your local wally world and pick up about 200 arrows and tell me how far you think you could carry them...LOL

besides theres a ton of returning ranged weapons in this game already

Spider

Post by Spider » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:04 am

^
About as far as you can carry say five pieces of full plate armor?
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:11 pm

^^Indeed and then try USING that fancy bow and 200 arrows while equipped with that full plate...

Oh Oz never did get nothing from the tin man...

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:48 pm

Wanderon wrote:infinite stacking is just too cheesy for me- run down to your local wally world and pick up about 200 arrows and tell me how far you think you could carry them...LOL
Assuming stacks of 40 arrows, how many do you think you can get into your inventory in IWD2? :P

The only difference between carrying one stack of 200 arrows and 5 patches of 40 arrows is that the former is less annoying.

Well, but if you want to play inventory tetris be my guest. ;)
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm

majestic wrote:
Wanderon wrote:infinite stacking is just too cheesy for me- run down to your local wally world and pick up about 200 arrows and tell me how far you think you could carry them...LOL
Assuming stacks of 40 arrows, how many do you think you can get into your inventory in IWD2? :P

The only difference between carrying one stack of 200 arrows and 5 patches of 40 arrows is that the former is less annoying.

Well, but if you want to play inventory tetris be my guest. ;)
Its not really "liking" the inventory tetris which I agree is a pain in the patootie but when you add infinite stacking then you free up all that inventory space which can then be used to carry other stuff which to me is where the "cheat" comes in- not so much that you can now carry all those arrows in a single slot but that you have now added more space to your inventory that normally would not be available...

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:10 pm

So...?

By that virtue you must abhor the container items. Think of all the space they free up...

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:18 pm

majestic wrote:So...?

By that virtue you must abhor the container items. Think of all the space they free up...

But they are supplied with the game and so perfectly legal and at least "supposedly" the game was balanced with them included...

my objection is with adding things that do NOT come with the game and give an advantage that the game was not balanced to handle...

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:24 pm

Balance and IWD2 are two mutually exclusive terms IMO.

Also, I fail to see what the infinite stacking mod unbalances. You can never use all of the arrows you get anyway. The only thing you really get out of it is selling for some big bucks, but since when did money matter in any IE game?

:shrug: