Playing Fallout 2 (Restored Version)

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Playing Fallout 2 (Restored Version)

Post by Jan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Aaah... Good old Fallout - still looks like crap.

- is this a fight to the death?
- No, it's..blah-blah..

voice: You have died..

Think I managed to inflict 3 damage in all, since every hit except one didn't do any damage...

After spending my level up (got a level before the fight, from killing everything and ) points a little differently and raising my unarmed to 55 I managed to get a narrow victory. Those -10% from Gifted makes a lot more of difference at level 1 than I thought.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 pm

I always just use the diplomatic option to get out of fighting at all.

Jan

Post by Jan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:00 pm

Well, that was new.. I had an encounter going towards Klamath on the overland map, with someone claiming to be the CHOSEN one too. A little scripted dialogue followed and then a fight. He hit me pretty hard on the first hit, so I thought it to be wiser to spend the remaining points from my previous level up on the unarmed skill and then I hit him twice before he ran off. Unfortunately his dialogue floated just below my own, so I couldn't see what he said.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Hmm.. that is new. Must have been something they added.

Jan

Post by Jan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:28 pm

Ugh, it's been a long time since last, I just melted in the Toxic caves.. I've gotten out of the healing business.. I've also noticed that I got a map location for a primitive tribe to the southwest after talking to Mardi in Klamath. Think I'm gonna do a different build, since I tagged small guns, lockpicking and science and spend all my points on unarmed so far..

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:11 pm

I never bother tagging the skills that books raise, aside from small guns. And whenever I use a book, I always raise the difficulty to HARD for a second, so that I get more points out of it, then go back to normal.

Jan

Post by Jan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:37 pm

I bother doing a lot of things differently, because I like to play in various ways.

The Primitive Village to the southwest of Klamath is apparently Sulik's tribe. Crazy unfriendly people and Sulik leaves the party.. and disappears.. and I had him lugging a lot of stuff, that I can't sell now. Juks. Not to mention that I've got a type of quest, that I don't think I've seen before in Fallout and the Pipboy interface doesn't really support it either. I've got to collect a certain number of knives and spears and I forgot the count and the precise model, I think it was 5 spears and 10 knives, but I can't remember and there is no way to get that information again. I've got 11 (Sharpened) spears and 10 knives, but I still can't return the quest, sigh.

I am also pretty annoyed by this slow healing rate of Fallout..

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:55 am

Have you encountered any new dialogue, or something like that?
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Jan

Post by Jan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:23 pm

I just took an old save from before I got Sulik into my one-man army and travelled to the Primitive Village to get the exact numbers for my Weapons quest... 10 normal knives and 5 regular spears.. and I've got the 10 normal knives, but 5 Sharpened spears (which is the improved version of a regular spear and really should be enough, but it isn't).

Well, apart from all the new areas, which are (of course) new dialogue as well, I haven't really noticed new dialogue options so far, not sure I'd really be able to tell, since it's been quite awhile since I last played the original, but I.. think there has been some change in the Talking Heads, since both the Elder in Arroyo and Sulik in Klamath has some lip-syncing, which I can't recall having seen before or maybe I just forgot about it and erroneously credit it to the Talking Head mod someone made.

But there are some damage messages I haven't seen before I think, like:
Cannibal was critically hit in the left leg for 10 hit points, knocking her over like a bad blind date.
Uh.. okay.

Jan

Post by Jan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:39 pm

But I guess the greatest change to the game so far is that the party, Sulik and Vic change appearance to what they are wearing, which I'm not really sure is a good thing as it suddenly very hard to distinquish the party members from other friendlies.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:34 pm

Janmanden wrote:But I guess the greatest change to the game so far is that the party, Sulik and Vic change appearance to what they are wearing, which I'm not really sure is a good thing as it suddenly very hard to distinquish the party members from other friendlies.
Well, I always kind of wished that I could have a squad of guys in power armor that looked like they were wearing power armor running around, at the end of this game. This mod gives you that?

Jan

Post by Jan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:31 pm

Since the party members, Sulik and Vic, takes on the appearance of Leather Jackets, Leather and Metal Armour I think it's safe to assume that they will also get the Power Armour look... except Cassidy, which doesn't change appearance from Leather Armour to Metal Armour

The Den was pretty quickly done, I did all the quests and killed Metzger right after I got Vic off the hook. One of the slaves told me about a second slaver camp and there I found more slavers and Suliks sister. Fortunately the slavers packs an healthy amount of stimpacks, because they also had some pretty mean weapons. I found a combat shotgun, Power Fist and a couple of Rippers and a lot of Small Energy Cells. I had forgotten about Sulik and burst weapons.. he nearly blew me away with the Combat Shotgun, before releasing the last slaves.

Upon completing the reunion of Sulik and his sister I was 'teleported' to the Primitive tribe and this time I did all the quests there without leaving the area, except one that didn't seem to be able to be done. A big dumb tribal is guarding a cave of bug-men and I guess I need the head tribal warriors consent to enter, but he's back to floating text only. By the time that was the only quest left, Sulik wanted to join the party again.

If the Primitive Tribe was part of the original material that cut I'm not all that surprised it's quickly over and done and one quest in particular is pretty silly.

Sulik has gotten at least one new answer to "what does the spirits say" in this area as well as some "good to be home" remarks.

Cassidy has turned into a Talking Head when you first meet him in his bar and on subsequent dialogues in the party... Not how I pictured him, not by a long shot.

The good thing is that your party still shoots you in the back and that random encounters with caravans still kills most of the cattle and whenever you come across two groups fighting each other you'll end up fighting both groups thanks to bursts and missfires from your party. The bad thing is that it's hard to find a good doctor, that actually do some doctoring... I've had this crippled right arm since Klamath and I'm lvl 12 now, had to heal it myself with my 10% Doctor skill and the second attempt was succesful.

The not so good thing is, that I've just come across a new Special Encounter "Pariah", where I got the Jinxed trait, even though I suspect it's probably related to that dog that is following me.

The worst kind of SE I've seen yet I didn't even have time to check the name of before I was blown into smithereen. Something involving exploding cows. It's a deathtrap.

Apparently the Thead at NMA about the Restoration patch has been growing ever since the release with new bug reports.. it certainly does feel like this patch has restored the game to its originallly buggy state... Like Vic attacking you if he's dropped from the party, only way to drop and re-recruit is by keeping a good distance... and every now and then one of your party members will stop to attack for no reason or only move three steps each turn.

<b>ugh</b>

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:09 am

Those aren't new. The dog and exploding brahmin have always been there. The rest of it sounds like shit. It took them how long to do this and its full of bugs. Losers.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:40 am

With all these bugs and what I've read about from Jan's posts this doesn't seem like something I'm going to try. Factor in that the last time I tried to whip through FO2 I got stuck in the kung-fu fighting ring in San Fran (had the Slayer perk and killed my opponents and never got the end of fight scripting to leave the ring) and it'll be a while before I replay.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:18 am

Ergh such a good game but so buggy!