IWD1 - once upon a time. Now again

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Runenklinge

IWD1 - once upon a time. Now again

Post by Runenklinge » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:07 pm

So, after many years away from the games (and the forum), I'm playing around with IWD+HoW+TotL again. I started a few parties and they literally blazed through the game, so much so that it gets boring quickly. Plus, it sort of irritates me now when I check my character's profile to see they have
Str 18 Dex 18 Con 16 as a mage. I never really got into the concept of roleplaying in a CRPG, but it finally starts getting to me.
So, I'm planning making a no reload run through the whole game (and probably on HoF after that). The party would probably look like this:

Paladin
Half-Elf Ranger
Gnome Figher/Illusionist
Elf Fighter/Thief
Dwarf Cleric
Half-Elf Bard

having the elf around is an additional incentive since his death would pretty much end the game cause I don't think I'd feel like adding new characters halfway into the game. Or maybe I would.

To get some roleplaying into it I thought of the following:

1.) no stat modification at character creation

2.) no max HP on level up

3.) of course, no saving/reloading except when leaving the comp

Now, I'm wondering if it's feasible at all. It might be a bit too much to leave stats unmodified + allow no reloading. Especially in HoF this might not be doable at all. Anyone have any experience with this?

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:18 pm

Well, I guess if you want to do it the RPG way, then the party restrictions like that of the Temple of Elemental Evil is the way to go I guess. It's really been a long time, since I played by the book, but having a Paladin and a Thief and various combinations of lawful, chaotic and neutral is somewhat of a problem I think.

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:31 pm

Janmanden wrote:Well, I guess if you want to do it the RPG way, then the party restrictions like that of the Temple of Elemental Evil is the way to go I guess. It's really been a long time, since I played by the book, but having a Paladin and a Thief and various combinations of lawful, chaotic and neutral is somewhat of a problem I think.
well yes, alignment is the one barrier I didn't feel like imposing on myself. What with all the restrictions I have set up I can feel lucky to get these guys through the game alive :wink:
Plus, I have a thing for evil characters, but I will want to have a paladin and a ranger with me for tactical purposes. Also, there are just too many alignment specific items in the game to have an all uniform party

Jan

Post by Jan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:18 am

So you are actually kind of powerplaying then? Maybe adding boots of haste to all your characters and the likes of that?

One of the things that alienates me from IWD is the lack of a protagonist, whenever you need someone you can just add a new character and you don't even need to be in a tavern, like some of the old-school fantasy games.. Too bad Ewen isn't around, even though he was probably more into IWD2, because I never really liked IWD at all, even though I played them all.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:33 am

Maybe it is just coincidence that I have the IWD Gold box thingy lying on my computer desk at the moment... now I feel like trying it again. Maybe once I finish my current game of Europa Universalis III, which really is a bottomless pit where available time disappears :D

Besides, I only completed the game with Trials of The Luremaster once.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:44 am

Hmm, i'd say that setup is quite doable for the most part, you'll get in trouble around level four or so when you will have few gold in raising all your mistakes, later on more money makes it doable, followed by the spell of course. Do think about the elves again though, they cost more money...

we should fire you and us up in that multiplayer idea from a few months back though.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:23 am

Janmanden wrote:So you are actually kind of powerplaying then? Maybe adding boots of haste to all your characters and the likes of that?
shush you *waves hands*

so far the party is doing nicely in the Vale, not that that is to say much but at least it's rather enjoyable

oh and while we're at it, here is a rather uhm unique take on the game. Widen your horizons and all that or somesuch

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Runenklinge wrote:oh and while we're at it, here is a rather uhm unique take on the game. Widen your horizons and all that or somesuch
Wow... just wow! :shock:

Are they for real?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Jan

Post by Jan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:00 pm

I always thought, of course, that it was pretty weak that you can ressurect dead party members, without going to hell or heaven first and wrestle with Satan herself or God(s) himself for the immortal souls of those characters (in the realm of fantasy)... :wink:

I wonder if there is content rating on the bible and if it's like..
Genre: R(etardism)PG
Christian Rating: 5
Gameplay: 0
Violence: 5
Adult content: 0

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:03 pm

Gorth wrote:
Are they for real?
I guess so

I cracked up when he put gods in brackets

Jan

Post by Jan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Brackets?! Oh, quotes! Gee.. missed that one and the reason is probably that I think "God" and "gods".. it's all fantasy to me, anyway.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:10 pm

IWD's world design (descriptions and background history) is great, the artwork is fantastic and the musical score is excellent too.

But... it is *so* horribly boring due to the horrible plot pacing. Eh, maybe there's something interesting here. Oh no, it's just level 9 of 25 of Kresselack's Tomb and look over there, it's level 25 of 70 of Dragon's Eye. *yawn*
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Yay double posting. :D
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:04 pm

majestic wrote:IWD's world design (descriptions and background history) is great, the artwork is fantastic and the musical score is excellent too.

But... it is *so* horribly boring due to the horrible plot pacing. Eh, maybe there's something interesting here. Oh no, it's just level 9 of 25 of Kresselack's Tomb and look over there, it's level 25 of 70 of Dragon's Eye. *yawn*
about the only issue I have with the game are the endless tracks through already clearead areas. That's basically a design flaw. Like having to clear 10000 layers of dungeon levels to get to Kresselack's tomb, then having to walk back up the 10000 levels and over half of the (already cleared) area map to kill someone, then walk back over half the map and down the 10000 dungeon levels again to have Kresselack tell you 'I don't have answer kbai', up the 10000 dungeon levels again and over to the other end of the map to go back to Kuldahar

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Ok, this sucks, game still too easy

seems I rerolled a bit too often so the stats were still too good. Now with Janmanden bugging me about alignment I'll accept that challenge too, one evil party one good simultaneously, I'm wondering which will do better but I'm placing bets on the good guys

This will be a low-stats game, in some other games this would be called a peasant run though I'm still undecided on wether I'll make them completely inept or just a little more common

As for paladins not travelling with non-lawful characters and/or thieves in general that seems a bit far fetched, I've never read anything about this being mandatory, in fact I only recall paladins not adventuring knowingly with evil aligned characters but that was in first edition. Neutral characters (read: druids) will probably be allowed on both sides

let the games begin