Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:49 am 

Josan wrote:
Ls made his post about IWD2. So I felt nostalgic. Reinstalled and made it to Chpt V in two big sessions before getting bored.

that's actually pretty good for IWD2. You can get frustrated/ bored a lot earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:21 pm 

Magnus wrote:
It's kind of a habit, really. And also an exercise in how badly you can break the game ;) But I doubt there will be any IE game for me in the forseable future. I managed to get BG to install on Ubuntu, but the graphics are all *i have potty mouth* up :?

Btw, if this means you're experiencing those green lakes or that your fog of war turns totally black, (, map going a little wacky). i had those problems as well some time ago, i fiddled around a bit in the options menu with the 16bit, and especially the software mirror BLT stuff, and it went away. I dont remember the exact config, but if i were you i'd try some of those three greyed out options that say you dont need m until you experience weirdness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:12 pm 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
No, it was more like the "Whoa, looks like my cider was laced with acid" kind of *i have potty mouth* up :( Animations would flicker in and out of existence, buttons would go black, and the cursor would leave green artifacts all over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:23 pm 
Editor

Drag. Otherwise you could have had the fun I had a couple days ago:

Killing Drizzt and looting his gear. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:26 am 

Title: The 6th Non-Sense
Oh, well, it's been so long since I've played a good game, that I have hopes that I may finally be unspoiled again and ready to play the subpar IWD2, that I found so easy to quit in the days when good games were so fresh in memory.. In a morbid sense Bethsoft is actually doing me a favor by dropping my, erm, maintaining their standards so much, rather than spoiling me with excellency, that no other game can match anyway, they give me utter crap, that the world is so full of and always will be able to supply.

The latest dispute (from NMA) between Bethsoft and Interplay has another agenda, which is to protect the FO3 crowd from spoilage. It's really no good to be spoiled by wits, intelligence, diversity, when there is only so little of it.. Shit, I remembered, DAMN!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:29 am 
Patron

IWD2 has some good parts. Unfortunately, it isn't consistently good, but still, the good parts are actually quite nice. I do use the cheat console now though (after having completed it twice without), so I can hurry through the less interesting bits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:44 pm 

you just have to take it for what it is, that is a broken piece of something, and then you can still get some fun out of it.

Whatever rules it uses sure aren't 3d Edition, or any other edition, and character development is nil/ doesn't matter because skills are rarely used and the feats are pathetic. So don't put any thought into it and you won't be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:19 am 
Patron

It was actually said at the time, that it was one of the best implementations of 3rd edition rules (3rd, not 3.5). Anybody remember the Icewind Gate II project? I would have loved to see BG2 play on the IWD2 engine and the rules system (and interface improvements, like quick slots etc.).

In an ideal world, somebody would pick up the ToEE engine and do a real game with a great story with it :(

Anyway, I loved my little pet Golem. I was quite sad that it couldn't follow me out of The Underdark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:02 am 

Gorth wrote:
It was actually said at the time, that it was one of the best implementations of 3rd edition rules (3rd, not 3.5).

it was the first PC game to (allegedly) use 3d edition. They totally botched it though.

Infinity Engine obviously wasn't fit to support attacks of opportunity, or just about anything else, that's part of 3E. I had some 3E rulebooks at the time and wondered why nothing I did seemed to work out properly. After looking at some FAQs about game mechanics I realized they just made a screwed up homebrew jumble of rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:06 am 
Patron

Well, I've never read a D&D rulebook since I had the original "Red" boxed set with D&D Basic rules :cool:

Any idea how ToEE compares to the text book rules?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 am 

Gorth wrote:
Well, I've never read a D&D rulebook since I had the original "Red" boxed set with D&D Basic rules :cool:

Any idea how ToEE compares to the text book rules?

I've never played it, but from what I've read they have done a pretty good job initially, especially the combat system of course. But the game was just too fucking broken with many features not working at all even though they're sort of implemented (mostly skills and feats, but also things like scribing higher level spells not working, etc.). Like Arcanum, this game would have needed another couple of months of polishing/ bug squishing (probably even more than Arcanum)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:13 pm 

Runenklinge wrote:
Gorth wrote:
It was actually said at the time, that it was one of the best implementations of 3rd edition rules (3rd, not 3.5).

it was the first PC game to (allegedly) use 3d edition. They totally botched it though.

EEEeeep! Wrong, Pool of Radiance was the first game to go 3rd edition, and what a miserable game that was! It makes IWD2 look like the pinnacle of gaming. And that means a lot coming from me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 am 

^ true. I think i got this information from a Black Isle interview a while back. The lying bastards.

But yeah, with PoR2 killing harddrives and everything, it might not be counted as a game at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:23 am 

Nor could it really be counted as a 3rd edition game as well. It was severely dumbed down, and you had virtually no choice in characters or how the leveled up. It was basically a dungeon crawl like Diablo without any of the fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:34 pm 

Hehe, i believe that game indeed crashed an old 3d card of mine.