[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - Torment

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Torment
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:24 pm 

Title:
Had to look at it.

Trying to install it. Several errors. The work of the typical Open Source small prints modders with nonsensical error logs and a butt ugly dos interface to set the size.

Would it have hurt to make a Torment Install section with a small list of the two only requirements?!

1. Requires a FULL install with all 4 discs copied to HDD and torment.ini adjusted accordingly.
2. Requires game to be patched to v1.1 (trmt11.exe)

The widescreen doesn't change the location and size of the intro logos or the game menu or the game interface, pretty annoying, but the rest is as it should be. Looks good.

Here's looking at 1920x1200.

(Click at picture for the real size)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:28 pm 

Title:
Theres another mod I installed, a GUI mod, you might want to look at that

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:27 pm 

Title:
It's a nice idea, but it's needs more work.

I do wonder if the text is pre-formatted or decided by the size of the UI, because I still get those 'read more' buttons.

I doubt I'll be playing it ever again as I played it quite a lot in both evil, neutral and good ways in the good ol' days. There is just too much text and too little voice to easily forget the game and enjoy playing it again. It's too much like a book with everything on the same pages.. and no zoom-ups of the gorgeous, bosomy and voluptous ladies - epic fail.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:42 pm 
Editor

I've been seriously thinking about trying Torment via GOG. Had a look at some of the mods and the restored quests that had been cut is appealing. And for $10 for the game, it seems like a no-brainer.

Merl, have you tried it? Should I take the $10 plunge and rediscover Torment via GOG?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:15 am 

Title:
Cant say anything against replaying Torment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:00 am 
Editor

Oh, neither can I. I was just wondering if you'd tried the GOG version with the mods they list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:06 pm 

Title:
Oh. I did the widescreen mod and the UI mod, and maybe the fixpack, but not the others.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:43 am 
Patron

I've never tried the widescreen mods, mostly because I suspect things would look too tiny on a 30" 2560x1600 screen. I would need some kind of magnifying glass to see what's going on :)

The fixpack and unfinished business stuff is a must though. I have a game running on the side, whenever I need to revisit Sigil. It's fun discovering new stuff. Funny trivia, it took me 8 years to realise that there was an unused basement under the Brothel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:37 pm 
Contributor

Actually, I got my wife, Ginger, Planescape on her laptop back in 04 and she halfway through before it died on her... we got married around 09 and she got around to fixing it and she finally finished it.

I was GREAT sitting by and watching her play it for the first time. She maxed her mage out grinding the maze and undersigil and when the endgame came she was calling in angels and artillary stricks from the foundry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:33 pm 
Editor

Torment is such a wonderful game in so many ways.

I just replayed it with the Unfinished Business mod. It adds some cut material and it was enough to make it almost feel new again.

And yeah, I make multiple grinding loops through Under Sigil and Baator to level up my party. TNO is always a fighter and Dak'kon just isn't complete unless he's made it to 18th level as a mage and can rain down all those sweet high level spells.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:45 am 

But... why?

There's no point in grinding out levels in Torment. Dak'kon especially, he gains millions of XP and upgrades just by talking to him - unless of course you make your TNO a lackwit, in which case you miss out on half the game anyway.

Also, when you really get the nice high level spells you actually don't need them. Especially not on your party, they're not around when you have to fight shadows in the Fortress of Regrets (not that I ever fight them anyway).

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:15 pm 
Editor

Completely disagree. There's every point in grinding out levels. The first time I played, I finished the game at 11th level.

Yes, you get XP for talking to Dak'kon. My TNO is always a fighter... with high INT, WIS, CHA, mid-range CON and low STR and DEX. And even then, no grinding means all the talking to Dak'kon in the world will make him about a 10th or 11th level mage. Pretty weak, in my opinion, only casting 5th level spells when there are all these beautiful spells at higher levels. If it's in the game, I want to see it and use it and without grinding, that doesn't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:21 pm 

On days like these, for some oddball reason, I click through user reviews of PS:T on GOG.com or google the game and read articles and fondly remember Planescape Torment as one of only two games (the other one being The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time) where I was so deeply immersed in the gaming experience that I completely forgot the world around me.

I was so completely lost in the game that I didn't even get up for food or some other relief. Only once I couldn't take it any more, and then I noticed 12 hours had passed since I sat down. *sigh*

It's also most likely the one game with the single most emotional impact on me. The first time I reached The Transcendent One and he said:

"ARE THEY DEAD? YES. UNLIKE YOU, THEY HAVE BUT ONE LIFE, AND THEY WASTED IT FOR YOUR SAKE. THEY DIED FOR YOU AS THEY ALWAYS HAVE. SUCH IS THE WAY OF ALL MORTAL THINGS. IT IS THE FATE OF ALL THAT FOLLOW YOU, BROKEN ONE. YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN MUCH."

I was crestfallen. I remember it vividly even though it's been what... 14 years now?

And then the heart-rending conversation you have once you resurrect your party members and "beat" TTO. Heh.

Damn, I think I'll need to play PS:T again.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:47 am 
Patron

I'm afraid PS:T is truly one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences. Happy to have experienced it, slightly melancholic knowing it may never to be enjoyed again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:25 pm 
Editor

Indeed. The game was total immersion for me too. The hours flew by and when I was at work all I could think of was getting home to get back to Planescape. For me the most emotional element, and only Planescape evoked emotions from me, was Deionarra's story (but then I'm a hopeless romantic and a sucker for a tragic love story).

That type of gaming experience won't come again, that's for certain.