Its that time of year again

From the late, great studio that brought us together
MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Its that time of year again

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:51 am

For my yearly BG2 game. Finished my last one September 26th 2011, and before that... August 28 2010 (or so) and before that... December 2009 (based on the dates of my saved games).

Was going to put it off til after BGEE and BG2EE but they are delayed (well presumably BG2 is delayed too though I never looked to see if they actually SAID it was delayed, guess they could just release them both at the same time and all).

Anyways, I got the infinity engine itch, looking for some input from all the (four or so) people that still come here.

What class should I be? Ive played all of em I think and nearly all kits. I was a Monk last year (which I remembered), and a Berserker the year before that (which I had to check and see), but other than those two, what should I be. Or should I make a self made party of random kits (with one slot open to do NPC quests).

Should I do any special rules, like the Summons only dousi inspired me to do years ago, or the gimp solo playthrough I did on the oooold interplay forums (minimum stats but you can have 17 in your main stat or something, I dont remember) I think I did Swashbuckler dual mage... or was it assassin to mage... Well it was some thief kit to mage.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: Its that time of year again

Post by Gorth » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:01 am

Strangely enough, I never really got into the "kits". Can't say I ever understood what business monks had in the game either. I think I played one of the paladin kits once (the one that gives you extra dispels?). Probably no surprise that my favourite class is "Rogue" :P

Alternatively, the most fun (if somewhat short) adventure was a Wild Mage forcing myself to only use the dweomer thing (can't remember it's proper name, sorry) and the shield that improves your odds of actually casting what you intended to.

Most fun "player base" award has to go to the bard though. Managing the theatre and the play was hilarious.

But yeah, not sure if you've tried the wild magic only wild mage. It's an acquired taste and can be fatal without you being able to do anything about it.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:37 pm

I've been wanting to play BG2. I've never actually played the first one and I only made it to the Underdark (maybe a bit after) in BG2. I played IWD and IWD II completely, though.

I was being honorably patient so I could actually play through these games when EE came out ... and you just burned that patience. *chuckles*

I always end up playing a rogue. I enjoy playing the NPCs (kind of an oxymoron, is it not?) but ... my personal characters almost always have to be a rogue of sorts. With the exception of viking inspired fighters or clerics. Thus, I'm not really a help to suggest a class. Kensai looks challenging ...?
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 am

IWD2 is sort of fun for "themed" parties. Not that they are in any way viable for finishing the game, but just fun to play through targos and maybe Shaengarne (sp?).

I might try an all "Viking" party some day, with all 6 party members being either single or multiclass barbarians.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 am

To try to wait for BGEE I started IWD instead, hopefully it can delay me...

I did a Lord of the Rings party years ago for one of the Icewind Dales. Had some Halflings (Frodo and Same most likely but I dont remember, probably rogue or fighter rogue), a Gimli (Dwarf fighter), a Legolas (Elf Fighter), a Gandalf (Human wizard), and an Aragorn (Ranger).

In NWN2 Storm of Zehir, like two months ago, played a game with six Clerics. Priest of Bane, Priest of Shar, Priest of Helm, Priest of Tyr, Priest of Mystra, Priest of Tempus. I did cheat the priest of shar the Trapfinding feat so he could disable traps, though. Used the priest of Bane as my face, Mystra as my mage, Tempus and Helm as my fighters, Shar as thief, and Tyr as my generalist cleric.