Replaying BIS Games...

From the late, great studio that brought us together
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Replaying BIS Games...

Post by Joseph » Sun May 05, 2013 3:08 am

I was going to do a set of game journal threads for the FO and FO2 and...

Did FO and just deleted it since the few of us here just don't really care. That and with FO2, you can't alt-tab out and that's how I wrote the journal for FO.

So now, with deletions and an edit, this is the "Replaying Black Isle Studios Games to Honour the 10 Year Anniversary of their Demise" thread. ;)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Re: Saving Vault 13

Post by Joseph » Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 am

And so ends this play through...

The TeamX 1.3.5 patch completely screwed the game. There's a bug they claim was fixed but it wasn't.

I've always prided myself on every play through of keeping everyone alive all through the military base. Ian, Tycho, Dogmeat and Katja. I use the yellow force fields to "pen" my party in a certain area while I clear out the mutants. But the bug with the patch means the yellow force fields can't be disabled. You get the message that they've been disabled but they don't go down.

So I thought fine, more of a challenge, I'll try it without them. And then the yellow force fields just turned themselves on randomly. The entire military base is buggered now. The annoyance has killed the enjoyment.

Oh well. On to FO2 I guess.

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Dude, I CANNOT keep everyone alive in that oilrig. I do my best to tell my wife to stay behind, and Sulik is a damned MORON and kept shooting ME during the encounter. As for dogmeat ... I'm stunned you got him to live for so long!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:41 am

With the oil rig in FO2, it's tricky and I don't think anyone can without reloads.

As for Dogmeat in FO, it's all about using the force fields, which, as I mentioned, got bugged by the fan patch.

But I love animals, can't even bear to see them hurt in a game. In fact, doing a BG2 playthrough now to pass away my lonely evenings and at Nalia's keep, where you're supposed to kill and cook the guard dogs to bait the umberhulks I said "No way!" and just went and kicked their butts leaving the poor puppies in peace.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Re: Replaying BIS Games...

Post by Joseph » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:44 am

Ok, so, had fun with FO until the bug in the fan patch I mentioned.

Got to the Enclave oil rig in FO2 and got bored. Well, that and I was eager to get to Planescape which remains my favourite.

Had a blast with Plancescape, it's so much better with the fixpack and Unfinished Business mod. So nice to have that cut material restored.

Then I went to IWD/HoW/TotLM and... had fun until I got bored right before the final fight in TotLM. Well, that and I was anxious to move on to BG2/ToB.

So... BG2/ToB, tweak pack, fix pack, good times. Forgot a lot, which is good. Still some bugs even with the fixes...

I had Anomen in the group but his personal quest wasn't starting so I used the CLUA console to spawn Terl (the messenger) and trigger it. Trigger it, did it and... Meh! Terl kept appearing on every freakin map, freezing Anomen in place and making my PC move backwards... weird big. So I CTRL-Y (kill) Terl and can move normally again... until the next location where bloody Terl appears again! None of the "fixes" I could find on various old boards helped and since Anomen's quest was done, I just dumped him off and went with Viconia.

Now... in ToB at the moment, doing the Yaga-Shura bit and... damned cheating Nymphs!!!

I'm at the part where his adopted which mother decides to turn on you and summons her help. No problems. But... Imoen and Nalia... both using chain contingency... both with spell turning and spell deflection... and both go off long before the stupid nymph casts... She casts hold animal... which beats both spell turning and spell deflection and my two 20+ level mages are freaking held! I call BS!!! They stop mage spells. They stop healing spells after combat (which I forgot a few times and wasted healing) but they can't stop some bloody wood nymphs low level hold spells! GRR!!!

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm going to load up Icewind Dale for my summer gaming. I'm working on another novel, so I'm not sure how much time I will be playing.

I keep wondering if there will be an enhanced edition of ALL of the Black Isle games or not.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:41 pm

I haven't tried, and don't really have the desire to, the enhanced BG. Didn't the studio behind it say they did want to do enhanced versions of all of them, depending on how well the first did?

And in BG2/ToB... my "GRRing" continues.

I took an alignment change rightwhen I went to hell, prior to my final fight with Irenicus. I freed the trapped djinn by killing him. That turned me from Chaotic Good to Chaotic Evil. Dammit! I should have just given him the sword.

And then, never having concluded the Viconia romance in ToB before, I discover that my romancing her has changed her alignment from evil to, presently, True Neutral. Which is all fine and dandy, and rather neat actually but funny that now I'm "evil" and she's turning good. Oh, and she can use the Holy Symbol of Talos anymore. That's how I discovered her change. She was short her bonus spells and when I checked her inventory the item was "greyed" out.

And Icewind Dale is fun. Linear but fun.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Oh, too funny. Way too funny!

Replaying BG/TotSC. Just messing about, saving, doing crazy things and maybe reloading, maybe not. I wanted to make room for Viconia and need to keep Dynaheir for a mage so Minsc... had to die (since you can't drop one half or paired NPCs without losing the other).

While wandering through the wilderness, we came across Zargal, the Hobgoblin. It was a perfect time for Minsc to use that cursed two-handed berserking sword. He charge in, got poisoned, and he and Zargal died at each others hands. Went to Bergost, left Minsc's body at the base of the town obelisk, a fitting tribute for a hero, and recruited Kagain.

Went to the Friendly Arms Inn, told that little gnome his house was now clear of spiders and everyone went downstairs... except Kagain, who apparently hates gnomes. Well, Kagain "chunked" the gnome and took his boots, and gave the party a 10 point hit on their reputation... which was at 20 and "Heroic" anyhow so now it's "Average". Dynaheir, still distraught over Minsc, decided to use a cloud kill scroll in the middle of the inn... Bwuhahahaha. That was hilarious! All the drunks, commoners and nobles and waitresses just... poof! Rep dropped to 1 and "Despised" and the Flaming Fist guards ran in so fast.

Of course I'll reload the last bit, with the cloud kill, but it was so funny watching! :haha:

So, off to donate to the church, get a few points of Reputation back so I don't become "despised when I get Viccy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:53 pm

bwahahahahaha

save rampage reload.

i love it!
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:36 am

How the heck do you manage to keep Katja alive???
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:13 am

I'm just that good. :cool:

Seriously though, at the end, it's all about "trapping" your companions in the yellow forcefields while working through the Military Base or running far ahead of them when you fight the Lieutenant and either taking out his cronies first or positioning yourself so they shoot each other in the crossfire.