Ezine Ideas Thread....

For comments on the Winterwind Productions website content
Al the Apostle

Ezine Ideas Thread....

Post by Al the Apostle » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:37 pm

I see much to be pleased with. We should all pitch in and spread the word. With persistence and passion, we prevail.
V) Honour thy single celled Amoeba that thine days shall be long in the Aquarium, for they were the first of the Lord thy Fish's Children.

Ralph the Prophet

Post by Ralph the Prophet » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 pm

There is much hope here... but that hope is tempered by the lack of response from those Winterwindians and Fishites that should come together in a warm wet fuzzy feeling.

Perhaps when I finish translating the Lost Dialogues, they will be more enthused, seeing the True Plan of Fish.
XIII) Thou shalt recycle your waste and not dump it into the Sea, for it doth give the Lord thy Fish a nasty cough.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Well, the server's log/stats reports continue to be slow but the final January tallies are in (edited above). All in all, damned respectable considering there wasn't much in the way of promotion.

And Lina and KingBoredom almost cracked 100 each. So close... :)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Ironic isn't it? The forum for the part of Winterwind that the most work goes into is the least trafficked and posted in.

Well, I'm making this a global announcement to try and get some more feedback and ideas for the site, for the zine and to attempt to stimulate some activity here amongst more those of you who have never posted in the Winterwind Papers.

And also, because hankinator, for all his posts since his return hasn't found one thing in this forum or the zine to comment on.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Runenklinge wrote:oh wait this is Winterwind Productions now, not Winterwind the forum anymore :idea:

well the first issues were just musings, sort of entertaining when I could be arsed to read them. But it needs something more objective, like facts and boobs, not necessarily in this order

it's definitely an improvement that the latest issue has something more tangible in it like interviews
Runenklinge wrote:
Josan wrote:It was always both. :wink:
oh, then I read them so superficially I didn't even notice

people might have been put off by the blocky titles though. Messiah complex and Judas' kiss? wtf? 'interview with NAIL' reads much more comfortably

or maybe it's the layout, it gives you headaches just looking at it. Ok enough rambling

edit: uh yes, wrong thread I guess
Since things are working normally again I've quoted Runey's posts that were made in the Geeks, Timelords & Toys thread to the appropriate one.

As for the layout, I'm assuming you mean the ezine in general (or were you referring just to the named articles?).

If it's the former, the layout is one that Spider came up with as it was essentially the same layout/dimensions of the Escapist, a gaming ezine. Mind you they've since changed to a rather bland design but...

And I really wish you hadn't mentioned my first article in the zine. That was never supposed to be in their but was added only because Spider insisted we needed 5 pieces. I hated that article and still do. It was a "journal" that was added for filler and nothing more.

On the subject of the zine, I'd love to have more interviews. I'd love to have more content. It's just, as I've said before, 95% of the content on WW, site or zine, comes from me soliciting. I can, off hand, only think of three contribution over the last 4 years that someone other than me brought to us.

I always say suggestions/submissions are welcome.

It's just hard for me to do everything (solicite arts/literature submissions, get interviews and put the zine together) on my own when I do have a life outside of this place (post count of mine notwithstanding).

So, like I always say, f you know an artist or writer or someone you'd like to see interviewed,ask them or let me know.

I can't very well, make this something you want to read unless I know what you want to read and that's where the feedback comes in. :)

Fawning Disciple

Post by Fawning Disciple » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:17 pm

I think more interviews and more artists would be wonderful. But what type of interviews? All artists or gaming or what?
I'd like to be... under the sea... in an Octopus's Garden... with you!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:05 pm

Well, since I'd ideally like to see us stick to the original format of five pieces, a "feature" article, two columns, an arts piece and a short story...

Interviewing someone in the arts and entertainment field, be it an artist, actor/actress, musician etc is fine by me. I'm not adverse to gaming interviews either but I wouldn't be the one coming up with that. I don't follow gaming closely.

And any interview I'd get (and I have a few in mind) would be obviously something I'm interested in. Whether others here would be is beyond me unless they let me know what they'd like to see. Take, as an example, my current article. As of today, it's at 171 views. Not bad for us. It's getting traffic from some sci-fi forums I post at on occasion. But... no-one here but me gives a toss about Doctor Who so it's great for traffic but not stimulating much on the forums, me being the only real fan.

So, to please the other people here, to try and get things "happening", I do need suggestions. :)

As far as traffic, this last issue, I think I'm the only one that "promoted" it. There was the forum newsletter, posts at a couple Doctor Who forums, at the Star Trek BBS and of course, at Highmoon (not much good there though, only about 1/2 a dozen active members not counting mods and all about 14-16 yrs old). Gorth used to post at Obsidian, but him being a mod there now... We used to get some traffic via CB's other forums he's at too. It really does come from sigs and profiles on other forums sometimes. We even got traffic via our artist, Lina, posting a journal at DeviantArt.

As always, I intend to keep this going, site, zine and forums. It's just slow going by myself or with just one or two others helping here and there so...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:34 pm

Hmm... I've even made this a global announcement and hankinator still hasn't taken the bait.

hank, it's not that serious a forum that you can't post your unique brand o'spam in the Winterwind Papers. Hell, a lot of the content was for laughs.

Sheesh. Tough audience.

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Josan wrote:As for the layout, I'm assuming you mean the ezine in general (or were you referring just to the named articles?).

If it's the former, the layout is one that Spider came up with as it was essentially the same layout/dimensions of the Escapist, a gaming ezine. Mind you they've since changed to a rather bland design but...
yes, I was talking about the ezine in general. The symmetrical placing of headlines is sort of awkward, and why the small font size/page size?
And I really wish you hadn't mentioned my first article in the zine. That was never supposed to be in their but was added only because Spider insisted we needed 5 pieces. I hated that article and still do. It was a "journal" that was added for filler and nothing more.
it does scream filler, that's why I picked it out :lol: But really, you have improved on the titling since

On the subject of the zine, I'd love to have more interviews. I'd love to have more content. It's just, as I've said before, 95% of the content on WW, site or zine, comes from me soliciting. I can, off hand, only think of three contribution over the last 4 years that someone other than me brought to us.
hmm what kind of stuff would have chances on making it into the ezine?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Runenklinge wrote:
Josan wrote:As for the layout, I'm assuming you mean the ezine in general (or were you referring just to the named articles?).

yes, I was talking about the ezine in general. The symmetrical placing of headlines is sort of awkward, and why the small font size/page size?
Well, like I said, Spider lifted the basic layout from the Escapist Magazine, a gaming ezine. I don't think the page size is particularly small but now you're the second person to comment on the font size recently. That really depends on your monitor size and resolution I guess.
Runenklinge wrote:
it does scream filler, that's why I picked it out :lol: But really, you have improved on the titling since
Swine! :razz:

Runenklinge wrote:
hmm what kind of stuff would have chances on making it into the ezine?
Well, as far as arts and lit content, pretty much anything. As far as opinion columns, pretty much anything. As far as interviews, whatever is interesting to the readers and would generate some decent traffic.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:28 am

Interesting indeed.

With a week to go in the month, the cover of Issue 7 has been visited 53 times and the Latrine's Doctor Who bit another 40. The other articles have had views as well but not enough to make the top 30 urls this month so I can't tell how many unless I go through the IP logs and count them.

And, we have a listing on Stumble Upon courtesy of KingBoredom which has been generating some additional traffic for us. Nice to see both our contributors in the last issue have taken steps to promote the site/zine. :)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Well, Issue 7 continues to perform well. As I've said previously, our stats only track the top 30 urls per month. The cover has been visited 67 times in February, my Doctor Who themed article had 47 views. In skimming the IP logs both Lina's and KingBoredom's have had some as well.

And now, for the spring issue...

We have an artist to profile. (And I have one lined up for the summer too.) We're actually having a good run of luck with getting artists to feature.

We're not having luck with writers for guest columns or short stories. Baley was set to make a return but he PMed me last night saying he can't after all. He's quite busy with school, tests and working on getting a scholarship so good luck on that Baley.

However it does leave us lacking in the literature area.

I have an idea, dousi and Jan inspired it actually and I'll no doubt go ahead with it unless we find another writer but... we're issuing the call...

Any of you want to write something, guest column, short story, fiction, non-fiction... step up to the plate. Subject no object. Know a friend that writes? Ask them if they'd like to contribute.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Some good news... KingBoredom has submitted his piece for Issue 8.

Now the rest of you... write something... submit something... force your friends to submit something...

It's not that hard. Hell, we're giving guest column opportunities away like girl guides give away... no... like Catholic priests give away... no... er... just submit or solicit.. or both damn it.

hankinator

Post by hankinator » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:22 pm

ok, ok, what should we submit? I guess maybe I should start paying attention to this part of the place.
[b][i][color=red]Let opinion be taken away, and no man will think himself wronged. If no man shall think himself wronged, then is there no more any such thing as wrong.[/color][/b][/i]

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:09 pm

Maybe you should.

As for submissions... I thought I mentioned this before.. guess you weren't paying attention so...

Anything essentially, well, within reason of course. We're doing quite well with artists, we've got a few lined up for future issues but we're always looking for writers. It can be short stories, it can be guest columns (Puuk did a political column for the first two issues), it can be an essay/article on whatever subject (social/political/religious/science/whatever.

I'm not adverse to anything gaming related. Interviews are fine by me. This list goes on really.