Issue 14 - Travelling Without Moving

For comments on the Winterwind Productions website content
the paperboy
Administrator
Administrator

Issue 14 - Travelling Without Moving

Post by the paperboy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:11 pm

We're very pleased to see Jez Strickley return for his second straight issue.

This time he has offered up a piece addressing the idea of travelling without moving.

http://www.winterwind-productions.com/i ... elling.htm
---

Another fast breaking news story...

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:12 pm

A joyous read, very philosophical, but oddly enough in a hands on kind of way. I like it a lot, and it made me think about my own travels. Both me moving, and me travelling abroad.

I haven't moved further away from my birthplace than 20 minutes by car, physically. And yet, I've traveled halfway around the globe in another way of traveling, my mindset.

New perspectives, a surrounding that challenges your way of thinking, be it go visiting a New Guinea tribesman, or a friend asking you just the right questions, it's all the same, in a way.
"Love isn't blind, it's retarded!"

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:27 am

I haven't moved that far from my place of birth either. But I'd love to. And I'd love to travel more. Of course, what I spoke of in my own piece rather curtails my travels.

And I do so envy you Europeans. Your countries are so small, the entire continent is close to the size of my country alone. You can see several countries and different cultures in a day. We can drive for a week without leaving ours.

I'd love to live in Europe. Travelling there would only intensify that desire. And thankfully I'm open-minded enough to pick up more than sunburns in Sydney and hangovers in Hamburg.

A great article Jez! Keep 'em coming please. :)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:03 am

Sounds a bit like what I am doing... moving to a new country every few years, living and working there.

You want to truly know a place? It isn't done on a tourist visa :P

It does require you to be willing to give up your past lives though, as every new country you live in, you pretty much start from scratch. But hey, it sort of makes you feel young(er than you are) :cool:

I can sure relate to the feeling restless growing up in a small place part.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Jez
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jez » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Thanks for all your kind comments - as I've said before, I find the feedback on this forum really refreshing and encouraging.
Josan wrote: And I do so envy you Europeans. Your countries are so small, the entire continent is close to the size of my country alone. You can see several countries and different cultures in a day. We can drive for a week without leaving ours.
Ah, you're so right Joseph. Growing up on the IOW I rarely visited the mainland (all the time I knew my father - some thirty-odd years - he never once left!). Now, however, I've come to learn how much cultures can differ just over the space of a few dozen miles. In the same way as the landscape offers a new horizon from place to place, varying cultures can present an all-new perspective as well.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:25 pm

I wish we had more comments but I'll take what we can get. Hopefully, when we get around to upgrading the forums, we'll have a way of allowing guest comments on the articles (if we can filter out the spam bots).

I've always marveled at people that can live their entire lives in one place, never moving or travelling. While I certainly can't afford to travel at present, I'd be all over the globe if I could.

And I sincerely hope you keep the articles coming Jez. You're a very welcome addition to the ezine.

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:42 am

love the pics. especially the pirate/smuggler signpost. cool place.

and hapsburg empire? like the inbred prince that died in 30 rock?

http://30rock.wikia.com/wiki/Gerhardt_Hapsburg
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:40 am

The tale of those pesky words..

There are many kinds of adventures, mentally, virtually, geographically.. branched out even more.

I'm glad you had a good time, but your points are naturally very subjective. In my opinion, open mindedness is not an option, but a state of being, that frames us all of the human race. The way we perceive each other is usually based on gestures, emotions and words and words is the charm of humanity, that no one really understands, because they have no finality and they are usually the ones that sets us apart because of it.

Ever hear a lion roar with sarcasm or irony?

You'll likely misunderstand me as well as Josan usually do, but don't worry, be happy. :D

"Well, that's the question at the very heart of the matter. For you can't help but think that the appeal of this veritable odyssey is all in the telling, and that your friend hasn't really travelled at all, leastways not in the meaningful sense of the word."

The meaningful sense?! You mean in your sense, which means that you weren't really able to sense his meaning, because you were fooled by your own.. Sounds like you got a grudge or an inferiority complex somehow. :lol:

It's nice that you use it to fuel your adventure. When I was younger I explored a lot of the unknown earth and saw many strange things within 5 miles of this very unique place, where I live, that taught me something about myself, the environment, my place in it and my commitment to preserving it. There is nothing like a good fisherman story with details and locations to activate the boots of haste.. when it should have been the boots of levitation, but then I would have learned less of what I did and more of something else.. Even "in-there" works.

"Because travel plus distance does not equal a genuine learning experience unless it's married to a mindset which is truly open; and not one which simply ticks off the various places and countries visited like so many items on a shopping list."

I think you are wrong. Travel at night while asleep, that's just wasted. Being completely absorbed in yourself or another person all the way, that's wasted too, but not a total loss. Anything else is a chance for an opportunity.

You can actively promote yourself in the moment or observe it from a distance, but you are impressed nevertheless. You don't have to do or be anything to get there, but of course, the more you involve yourself in the world around you, the more you trade knowledge for ignorance, but the more you kill the fairytale and prejudice as well.

There is nothing wrong or less about ticking off places and there is nothing less about it. I think you are being a bit too narrowminded about this, maybe you got on the wrong end of a bad experience with people with 'bragging rights'. It's not a contest, that makes you any better comparably as a human than anyone else. Sometimes people can be really obnoxious, because they don't really like you or you annoy them somehow, but I think 'their experience' is just as genuine. But maybe you've got an universal scale??

"If you're prepared to be even a touch open-minded, it's not always necessary to reach out to the distant and the remote to find what you're seeking. "

Well.. I don't think you are really aware of how privileged you are to make such a statement, but then again it's a really vague statement.

I can get all the summer and winter I want from Denmark, but I just can't plan my vacation and be sure to get it. The weather is just too chaotic around here.. and the water is.. not clean, no exotic fishies, neither those with gills nor the bumby kind with long hair and two legs, that you could suck on all day.. but it depends on what you seek.

"Open-minded". As I said, open-minded is not an option that you can choose to be and I don't think either of those expression are connected. There are limits to what you can see, depending on how you were stimulated, neglected or mentally raped in those crucial seconds where you mind was shaped as a child. Pity those religiously raped people, that see the beauty for what it is, but just don't understand it and never finish the journey.

Imagine this. There is only one south pole and it's not around here, but the fire I seek to lit my cigarette.. I could travel to the core of the earth and light it with lava or go to Iceland, Italy or some other 'hot' destination and seek out an active vulcano or find another smoker to light it for me and make 'light' conversation, but I got a lighter right here.. There is no doubt, that the journey to whatever other destination than the movement of my hand across the table to reach for the lighter would have been more interesting. I might get caught up in a mental tour and self-analysis of my addiction, but that's really self-absorbed and well.. been there, done that, 'ticked' it.

Oh, nice article by the way. :wink:

---

The slightly annoying part about Europe is, that we all talk our own language and the larger the country the less likely it is, that the inhabitants are able to communicate in english. I know a bit of french and german and sign language, but gestures and a friendly face always works, but I don't know enough to have any 'meaningful' conversations in those languages - I forgot a lot.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Well Jan, you've certainly spilled out more than a mouthful here.

Some of the points you raise are quite interesting, albeit as narrow-minded and self-absorbed as you claim Jez to be. It's not that we misunderstand you, it's that we often don't agree with what you say. Your tendency to assert that you're right and everyone else is wrong/uniformed, etc, can become rather wearying.

On the plus side, as I said, you make some interesting points and, at least you've read part of the ezine. :wink:

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 pm

I have to say this issue was really interesting and deep. I like it very much, much better then the crap you get to read in normal papers these days who rather speak about some actor doing this or that!

So the Ezin of Winterwind is a relief and escape from stupified newspapers.

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Josan wrote:And I do so envy you Europeans. Your countries are so small, the entire continent is close to the size of my country alone. You can see several countries and different cultures in a day. We can drive for a week without leaving ours.
from what I've seen though, the US and Canada are just as diverse as Europe is. You won't notice that if you only move between big cities, but that's the same in Europe (Berlin is London is Paris).
I've even come to think that the US (and Canadians to a lesser extent) need that rabid patriotism (compared to ours) to keep their countries together, because otherwise, they'd probably fall apart.

Jez
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jez » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi Jan,

Thanks so much for your comments - I appreciate you giving my article some really serious thought. As I've said above, the feedback on this forum is refreshing and it encourages me to contribute further articles in the future. :D

My basic view on travel is that it does indeed broaden the mind, but - in my experience - you need a flexible mindset in the first case to experience that 'widening' of one's perspective.

This isn't so easy for some of us, and for me at least, who travelled in search of fresh experiences, the irony lies in re-discovering the wonders of my birthplace after seeking to leave it so far behind.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Hehe. Jan is our resident... hmm... I'm not sure any of us have ever pinned down what Jan is aside from a complete nutter with flashes of... something. :D

And I agree that one does need a flexible mindset. I'm always reminded of Frank Burns in MASH: "I speak American and I can go anywhere in the world." You don't get much out of your travels that way.

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:47 am

i'd travel europe before the us or canada. word is the girls are hot and easy sex scores for tourists

and jan is a crazy old man. hes gonna be 40 soon. must be making him mad
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 pm

Actually it's a case of the "the grass is always greener on the other side".

There are beautiful women women all over the world. Although yes, foreigners do tend to get lucky when abroad.