Issue 17 - Duncan Lunan Interview - Part One

For comments on the Winterwind Productions website content
the paperboy
Administrator
Administrator

Issue 17 - Duncan Lunan Interview - Part One

Post by the paperboy » Mon May 02, 2011 5:32 pm

http://www.winterwind-productions.com/i ... _lunan.htm

We are very, very pleased to bring you Winterwind's first interview in three years.

It's with noted author and astronomer, Duncan Lunan and it's being run in two parts, and in two formats: an abridged version in the ezine and the complete, unabridged version on the main site.

A very special thanks to contributor Michael Collins for arranging the interview and to Mr. Duncan Lunan for answering.
---

Another fast breaking news story...

D. Sauzi

Re: Issue 17 - Duncan Lunan Interview - Part One

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed May 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Interesting fellow. I get the feeling i've heard about him or even saw him, especially after googling his face :) I've been to this Worldcon on SF in Glasgow once, a few years ago, might be he was a speaker there or something.

In any case, great interview, looking forward to the next part. I like it how he's taking the time to respond so in-depth and with many memories of how things came to be. Wrote down that first title, 'Man and the Stars', see if i can pick it up somewhere. I've always enjoyed the notion of thinking, realistically, about colonization, hope i get to see the first steps of it :).
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu May 05, 2011 11:35 am

It is indeed a very in-depth, lengthy interview. In fact, it was somewhat intimidating when I got the complete interview back. We were trying to decide whether to publish it in two parts, whether to heavily edit it or print two versions... In the end, as you can see, we published an abridged and unabridged version, and ran it in two parts. Most interviews are very short answers, this one... I was very pleasantly surprised at the time Duncan Lunan took to answer.

I'm not sure how much we'll see as far as exploration though. Collectively, humanity just isn't that focused on things outside of the earth's atmosphere. But stay tuned for Part Two. Part One dealt largely with his writing. Part Two is where the astronomical questions and answers come. :)

Jez
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jez » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:04 pm

What a wonderfully in-depth interview; I take my hat off to Michael for netting such a generous and interesting subject. I was interested to learn that he didn't initially read the likes of John Wyndham, a favourite of mine but not in the classic category, at least not around the beginning of the 1970s.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:48 am

It only took six weeks but hey... more comments on our first interview in ages. ;)

I think Pt2 of this interview will be more "accessible" as Pt1 is almost entirely about his own works and influences and if you're not familiar with Duncan Lunan... Pt2 deals with some "real world" questions so I think there's more room for discussion.

I found myself intrigued by Jeff Hawke. A British Buck Rogers is how I'm imagining it though I don't know if that's a fair comparison.

As for John Wyndham, "Day of the Triffids" remains probably my all-time favourite sci-fi story. Simple, short yet very engaging.

(And Jez, you need an avatar. I threatened to pic one for you before. You even said go ahead. But I can't think of one... or can I?)

Jez
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jez » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm certainly looking forward to Pt 2 of the interview, and I'll try and more respond in a more timely fashion next time. As for Wyndham, I do like TDOTT, but I'd probably err on the side of Chocky; the mid-1980s TV adaptation was desparately creepy, and it inspired me to read beyond TDOTT and tackle more of Wyndham's works. Like John Christopher, he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

And Joseph, you were quite right about my letting you pick an avatar for me - and I love your choice! Thank you.

Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:30 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Hawke

Jeff Hawke. I know many fans of the strip, and Duncan is pals with the writer/artist, but I've never read any of them myself.

All the credit goes to Duncan for his lengthy and insightful answers. All I had to do was ask him if he'd do us a favour and he was more than happy to! Great man (and great friend), we were at an astronomy lecture he gave on Wednesday night. I left half-inspired, half-perplexed, half-amazed, and now you know why I gave up Maths. (And science, neither are my strong points!)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Michael S Collins wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Hawke
Jeff Hawke. I know many fans of the strip, and Duncan is pals with the writer/artist, but I've never read any of them myself.
Man, that brings back memories... used to scour the second hand book/comics stores to find those I hadn't read. Never really "collected" them, but sure loved those stories. Besides a lot of the Jeff Hawke strips (in album format), I had an almost complete collection of Modesty Blaise :P
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Scottish Sci-fi? I be darned! Never thought there be such an genre.