Think. Pray. Love. by Amy Van De Casteele

For comments on the Winterwind Productions website content
the paperboy
Administrator
Administrator

Think. Pray. Love. by Amy Van De Casteele

Post by the paperboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:16 pm

A new article by another new contributor to Winterwind, Amy Van De Casteele. Amy takes a look at looking for meaning in meaningless places.

http://www.winterwind-productions.com/f ... pray_love/
---

Another fast breaking news story...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Think. Pray. Love. by Amy Van De Casteele

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:27 pm

I really, really like this piece and the insight and advice within.

Very happy to have you aboard Winterwind, Amy.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:03 am

Joseph wrote:I really, really like this piece and the insight and advice within.

Very happy to have you aboard Winterwind, Amy.
So Joseph, since you goaded me into commenting on articles here... :razz:

I read the article three times now. I'll be reading it a fourth time while whipping up this post. Work is slow right now and I'm waiting on several batch runs to finish, which will take quite some time. In other words: I'm quite bored right now.

The article in itself is quite good, actually, and the conclusion at the end could ultimately be very powerful, but is not consequent enough insofar as arriving at the right idea through all the wrong means and not really thinking it to its logical end, and it drifts off into moralizing every now and then (paragraphs about the morals of marriage, for instance).

What I'm trying to say is that there is no such thing as the one path to the meaning of life. Many religions aren't even fit for this because, while not being nihilistic per se, have quasi-nihilistic approaches to the worldy existence in and of itself - keep faith or serve God in life so you may "live" in death, or the core concept of Buddhism that defines how to arrive at the very end of existence, nirvana.

The ultimate meaning of life is what you choose it to be, what you will it to be, but to do so we must first cast off the shackles of our environment, free ourselves from the coercive influence that influences us practically from birth.

I'm not sure what to comment on the marriage issue though.

Single marriage is something deeply ingrained in our society, iconically stated to be stemming from religious tradition - even though the Bible never states that marriages need to be monogamous and has huge amounts of polygamy, especially in the old testament - only sex outside of marriage was forbidden, for the very obvious reason of not contracting litte understood and incurable diseases.

Current divorce rates simply project very noticably that which always has been the case: Mankind isn't made for permanent monogamic relationships. We're simply not penguins. As a social construct, it might work, or it might not. It might not be necessary for some cultures - several of them were quite happy and successful with allowed polygamy.

However, it was much more difficult if not downright impossible to get divorced in the past, especially for women who were mostly put in a situation of being completely dependent on men for just about everything.

What we're seeing now isn't the total collaps of "morals", its simply as it has always been, but both men and women now choose to divorce, arguably because the social stigma of doing so is dwindling and economic dependency isn't as much of an issue as it was in the past. That is not a bad development. In fact, it adds to our freedom. Which in turn adds more to our eternal quest for the meaning of life...

Besides, one can still fight for their marriage all they want ("choose to", as we're back to the original topic then).
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:20 am

Well, I'm certainly glad I've "goaded" you into reading and commenting on the articles on the site. For your first such post this is excellent. An intelligent, thoughtful and analytical reply.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 am

Joseph wrote:Well, I'm certainly glad I've "goaded" you into reading and commenting on the articles on the site. For your first such post this is excellent. An intelligent, thoughtful and analytical reply.
Why thank you. :razz:
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:23 am

"celebrity obsession, fashion obsession, body obsession"

Welcome to market economy :)

That was the short answer.

A lot of different subjects touched in one piece, but I guess it can be summarized in, where is the elusive contentment in life (short of being a Zen type person)?

Those who have read what I've posted over the years, knows my views on love, being a relic from our genetic history. So, scratch that, it's a "drug" the same way as endorphines, rewarding you for doing what your genetic makeup is forcing you to do. Same thing with altruism, we do it because it makes us feel all warm and fuzzy and because social darwinism is as real as genetic darwinism. Social constructs compete against each other the same way as people with 5 fingers against people with 6 fingers on their hands. Again, the reward is a sense of pleasure.

Spirituality? See above comments on altruism. A social construct competing against other social constructs.

In the end, you alone decide what makes you happy and if you are so fortunate that you can identify which things in life makes you happy, by all means have a go at it and give your best to achieve it, even if you know it's a pat on the back from your racial memory ;)

@Majestic: Ah, so if they couldn't have sex outside marriage, that would explain all the polygami :mrgreen:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:14 am

Gorth wrote:So, scratch that, it's a "drug" the same way as endorphines, rewarding you for doing what your genetic makeup is forcing you to do
I always knew you were a romantic at heart. :haha:
Gorth wrote:@Majestic: Ah, so if they couldn't have sex outside marriage, that would explain all the polygami :mrgreen:
Polygamy would also be a case of social darwinism - it was only possible for those able to afford it (power & influence, money, prestige). That mankind in general started to tend towards monogamy is somewhat explainable though.

The amount of men and women born are almost equal. If you now allow for polygamy you end up with a deficit in available mates, which then leads to other undesirable issues (sexually frustrated young men, mostly).

That's going to be a fun problem for China in a couple of years. Their one child only policy is currently not only curbing population growth as planned but their culture also has the side effect of making girls "undesirable" (read: unaffordable) for parents unless they have male children to offset the issue. So if you can only have one child, it would be much better for it to be male. Ah well, enough off-topic chattering now.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:31 am

Ah, you guys...

The articles is best summed up as look for your happiness within yourself, not by comparing yourself to others or trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:54 am

majestic wrote:So, scratch that, it's The amount of men and women born are almost equal. If you now allow for polygamy you end up with a deficit in available mates, which then leads to other undesirable issues (sexually frustrated young men, mostly).
They make perfect soldiers, don't they? Strong, healthy, aggressive and expendable :lol:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:56 pm

how come you guys don't get spam infractions for going way off topic?

look for meaning within. not without. pretty simple. spammers!

and love being a relic of genetic history? really gorth? love and monogamy are religious/social constructs. humans are not monogamous by nature.
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Trailer Park Jesus wrote:how come you guys don't get spam infractions for going way off topic?
Because it still is on topic, after a fashion.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:23 am

After a fashion, indeed. And he is right regarding love and monogamy being social/religious constructs and not part of any "genetic memory".

Score: Trailer Park Troll 1 - Gifted Kid Gorth 0

;)

Jez
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jez » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:02 pm

Welcome aboard, Amy!

A very good article, touching upon perhaps the nub of contemporary life - at least for those with the time to look around and ponder. Ultimate questions have been the building blocks of so much progress over the years, but you're right to point out the importance of pausing and reflecting - qualities all too rare in some quarters of our ever-whirring world.

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:07 pm

yeah, Amy totally has it right. too many people try being someone else.

and Amy needs to register here and smack majestic and gorth for over-thinking a simple message.
magnus wants me. he's so gay.