A Beginner's Guide to Nature Conservation by Jo Thomas

For comments on the Winterwind Productions website content
the paperboy
Administrator
Administrator

A Beginner's Guide to Nature Conservation by Jo Thomas

Post by the paperboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 am

Another Winterwind newcomer, Jo Thomas, gives us a beginner's guide to understanding nature conservation.

http://www.winterwind-productions.com/f ... servation/
---

Another fast breaking news story...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: A Beginner's Guide to Nature Conservation by Jo Thomas

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:46 pm

As a tree hugger that loves animals and nature more than most people I meet, I naturally like this article.

Great work, Jo. Michael and I are very happy to have you on board and certainly hope you'll contribute more in the future.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:18 am

An interesting read :)

Good coverage of the the nature of habitats (pun unintended) and the history geek in me chuckled at the mention of special status of oak trees (a very important military resource for a sea-faring nation). No wonder the UK is famous for its oaks.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Journeymouse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Journeymouse » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Thank you for the welcome :) And glad you liked it

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for contributing. We hope you do so again. And please do feel free to pop by the boards once in a while too. :)

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:02 pm

yeah, more forum action from the new writers would be nice. :D

and personally i often think we're such a screwed up species that mother nature should just take us out and reclaim the planet. maybe those that survive would eventually evolve into a better society than our largely screwed up one now.
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Things like this is nice. To bad I love technology :( Also to many humans! But nice work.

Jez
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jez » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:49 pm

This article really opened my eyes. I clearly need to give more critical thought to the issue of whether humans should sustain the current status quo of a given eco-system. I guess many of us - me for sure - often mistake the present state of things as being age old, as opposed to man-made landscapes, albeit very old ones.

Great work, Jo. Informative, concise and well written. I hope you'll be contributing again.

Journeymouse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Journeymouse » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Jez wrote:This article really opened my eyes. I clearly need to give more critical thought to the issue of whether humans should sustain the current status quo of a given eco-system. I guess many of us - me for sure - often mistake the present state of things as being age old, as opposed to man-made landscapes, albeit very old ones.

Great work, Jo. Informative, concise and well written. I hope you'll be contributing again.
Well, I hope to come back with a similar quick guide to land restoration (tha phrase will make sense if I get there) when I have chance to sit down and write it out. I'm stil fairly certain there is value in conservation work but I think it pays to be aware, as with (other) charity organisations, what the money and the effort goes in to. :)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Well Jo, if Michael didn't make this clear, as the "big guy", I will... you are welcome to contribute any time you please. And I'm looking forward to your next piece. :)

Jez
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jez » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:53 pm

Journeymouse wrote:Well, I hope to come back with a similar quick guide to land restoration (tha phrase will make sense if I get there) when I have chance to sit down and write it out. I'm stil fairly certain there is value in conservation work but I think it pays to be aware, as with (other) charity organisations, what the money and the effort goes in to. :)
A piece on land restoration sounds intriguing - I look forward to it.

Land erosion is a key issue where I grew up (the Isle of Wight), specifically in terms of coastal erosion. To arrest such erosion or to leave to be is the question. I find the whole business a touch ironic, given that one of the IOW's key features is its many 'chines' (coastal gorges generated by streams cutting into the clay cliffs, aided and abetted by the action of the sea). These gorges are a classic example of nature's power to change the landscape, and as much as they are valued natural phenomenon, the coastal protection schemes are naturally at odds with such a changing landscape.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:32 am

Visiting some of the few remaining primeval forest in New Zealand is like stepping into a time machine. Been there, tried that. Absolutely fascinating observing ferns in all sizes and shapes. From tiny ground cover to humongous tree sized trunks disappearing up into the forest canopy. It's like watching what earth 100 million years ago must have looked like :)
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:03 pm

i really think we're screwing the planet. problem is the people in power just don't give a damn.

but yeah, i try and do my bit at least. i don't litter, recycle what i can.

so yeah, more articles like this would be good.
magnus wants me. he's so gay.