Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: A Light in Dark Places by Amy Van De Casteele
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:30 pm 

Joseph wrote:
Hmm. I think we've derailed this thread enough, especially considering the article's author being unfamiliar with all of us having known each other and bantered like this for... bloody hell, a decade... was our tour of duty at Black Isle really that long ago..?

Well, yes. Somewhere around the dawn of the new millennium 'twas indeed. Which actually makes it more than a decade now. Phew...

Quote:
TNG still sucks.

No matter how you twist or turn it, considerably less than VOY or ENT...

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:26 pm 
Editor

Yay! As silly and off-topic as this got... We finally got a comment thread for our articles since the re-launch of the site to a second page. This pleases me no end.

And for what it's worth. I did quite like The Hobbit and The Silmarillion. I just stopped halfway through the LotR trilogy. Hmm... it's been 15 years since I've read Tolkien. I might even few it differently now. But nothing will ever change my views on Melville... or TNG! :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:40 am 
Patron

Anecdote time... it was actually my first computer that forced me to start reading Tolkien.

I bought this adventure game called "The Hobbit" from Melbourne House software (that was 1984 iirc).

The game was fun, had limited autonomous characters, decent English parser and primitive graphics (good for 1984 though).

Thing is just, I was *Stuck*. I had made my way to a dark cave and I got killed by goblins all the time. Of course Thorin was no help always sitting down and singing about gold and Gandalf was fickle as ever.

In the end, I had to bite the bullet and read the paper back book that was in the game box (yeah, not only did the game come with manual, it also came with a paperback book edition of The Hobbit).

Reading the book, I found out that I had to do something else with the trolls and get 'Sting' (the sword that glows in the dark when goblinoids are near). With a light source, I no longer got instantly jumped by goblins and made it out of the cave. Completed the game many times over the years as well as reading the book several times. Later went down to the library to find more books by the same author (and thats how I found my favourite 'The Silmarillion' and also 'Lord of the Rings').

I think Silmarillion appeals to me because I've always been a sucker for history and mythology. It's very much written in the same style as old Greek and Norse legends (i.e. a collection of "tales" loosely interwoven in the same setting).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:40 pm 
Contributor

Really enjoyed this article. I think Amy makes a good case for Tolkien looking to reconnect with the sagas and stories of the Norse, as well as giving England a shot in the arm as regards its cultural roots.

As much as I love TLOTR, I too much plump for 'The Silmarillion' as my absolute favourite.

Great work, Amy.