[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - Blurred Lines of Feminism by Emily Thorburn

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Blurred Lines of Feminism by Emily Thorburn
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:14 pm 
Contributor

One of my more fun things to do to mess with male colleagues' heads: nip past them and hold the door open when they've proven to have a habit of holding the door open for women. It takes a couple of goes before they grasp I'm actually being polite ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 pm 
Editor

I've only experienced this once but I did hold the door open for a woman who got all huffy and haughty and proclaimed her equality. I told her I fully supported equality, that I held open doors for everyone regardless of gender, age or ethnicity because it's simply common courtesy. I then let go of the door and let it hit her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:29 am 
Patron

I'm an equal opportunity gentleman/jerk. I'll hold the door for my colleagues when in the mood to be polite. Doesn't really matter what gender they are.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:02 pm 
Contributor

I've noticed women very eager to help me with doors, things I'm carrying, etc but ONLY if they know me. I find this understandable, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:03 pm 
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:36 pm 

Title:
Im going to be really honest now and I hope no one will get mad or something.

That Thicke song and video is one of the most *i have potty mouth* up things I ever seen in music.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 pm 
Editor

Then you clearly haven't heard many songs or seen many videos in your apparently sheltered life. Both the song and video are so pedestrian and tame that I'm still amazed there was any "outcry" at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 pm 
Contributor

Joseph: The existence of greater crmes does not make lesser crimes non-criminal / non-existent :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:13 pm 
Editor

I still fail to see the "crime" in this song, especially over others. And the crimes committed against the other gender are under-reported or ignored outright. Just saying... ;)

Now... let's not get Marcus too confused.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:13 pm 
Contributor

That's not an issue with feminism, that's just further proof that the current social set-up doesn't work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:15 pm 
Editor

Who said it was an issue with feminism? Human beings are a flawed species. No social set-up will ever work because of that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 pm 

Title:
Have you seen the video that got "censored" where women run around topless? For no appearent reason. Not to promote cancer or something.

Also, I do open doors for women and men. And there is women who enjoy some good old chivalry :) I met a few at the institute of history at uni. People come in many shapes and forms. To know who or what they want will be impossible. But I open doors to everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:26 am 
Patron

Yeah, who the heck would censor that kind of video. No apparent reason at all indeed :look:

I suspect the only time I show true "gentlemanly" manners is when pitching in where my superior physical strength actually makes a difference between a trivial task and hard work. Heavy lifting etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:58 pm 

Title:
But thats what I mean, If one see the uncensored version. One notice even more how far this thing is going.

Should we blame Thicke? Or the company he manage to sign up with and cannot say "no" to without harsh counter measures from lawyers? Someone linked me one of his older songs. It was just another classic "Tears, hearts and without you I die" kinda song.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 am 
Editor

I'm honestly not sure where you're going Marcus so...

Point is, as I see it, some people just like to whine and complain and take offence. A lot of things offend me but I just keep my thoughts to myself or share with a few friends. I see absolutely nothing offensive in Thicke's song, at least no more so than I find offence at women ripping on men. Ah well, live and let live. Or whatever.