The fantasy litterature thread

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Lord Tingeling

The fantasy litterature thread

Post by Lord Tingeling » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:01 am

Not much to be said here. Just a place to discuss various fantasy books and their authors.

I'm currently reading some of Roger Zelazny's work. If you haven't read the Amber series, I suggest you check it out. It's not your ordinary fantasy writing, it's actually a very unique piece of work in a genre that usually doesn't excel in that aspect.

I recommend it to anyone looking for a good fantasy read, or just a good read in general.
-- Canadians. So mellow. So laid back. So gay.

This post may contain nuts.

Silverbow

Post by Silverbow » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:03 am

I'm reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan ATM. So far, so good, but I's only in book 1 yet. :P
[b][i]The sky shall rain fire
The seas will boil red with blood
The righteous shall perish
At the hands of the wicked
And all the world shall tremble
Before the star-spangled banner of America

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:28 am

Finished LotR some time ago, and just turned the last page in GRR Martins books. Currently, I'm trying to find some "steam-punk" books, by a fellow whose name I can't remember. It's about some pirates (I think) who have tied up all their ships (I think) into this huge "island" (I think). They have trouble powering this hunk-o-junk (I thi...*smack*), and to do so, they hook up a huge whale, or something (IT). Sounds odd, but my brother recommended it. If only I could remember the author and/or title!
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Silverbow

Post by Silverbow » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:06 pm

'steam-punk'
:eyebrow:

Brings back scary memories of the Warhammer novels about Gortrek the red-haired punk dwarf :haha:
[b][i]The sky shall rain fire
The seas will boil red with blood
The righteous shall perish
At the hands of the wicked
And all the world shall tremble
Before the star-spangled banner of America

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:15 pm

Add another (I think) to the steam-punk. I've absolutely no idea what that book is :D

Anyway - I've picked up a danish kiddie's book called "Bøvsedragens Hemmelighed" - "The Secret of the Burping Dragon". Should be fun :D

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:01 pm

A couple of friends of mine wholeheartedly recommend William Gibson's "The Difference Engine" for a "steam punk" book.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:36 pm

I strongly recommend ANY of Gibsons work to anyone, but that's not really fantasy.

Steam-punk is sort of Victorian Age Science Fiction. Ie a world with a fairly high technology level but the technology being based on steam engine technology (or similar).

Good examples are:
Jules Verne (pretty much everything he wrote, though when he wrote it it was just science fiction)
League of Extraorinary Gentlemen (both comic and movie)
Arcanum
Steampunk (comic by Joe Kelly and Chris Bacchalo)

In reference to more general fantasy, I've got to admit most fantasy literature bores me these days. It's so based on clichés and it sort of seems like if you've read one book you've read them all. So I don't read much fantasy unless I know it'll be different enough to be interesting.

Tw fantasy writers I love though (and will read everything I can get my hands on from) are Terry Pratchett and Michael Moorcock.

Both should almost be mandatory reading for anyone who likes fantasy.

Speaking of Terry Pratchett, I just recently read Night Watch and the man only gets better with each book. It's an awesome book (though if you haven't read any pratchett before there are a few books that should be read before this one to get to know the characters involved). The only Discworld book I've liked better is The Truth.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Lord Tingeling

Post by Lord Tingeling » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:40 pm

Spider wrote: In reference to more general fantasy, I've got to admit most fantasy literature bores me these days. It's so based on clichés and it sort of seems like if you've read one book you've read them all. So I don't read much fantasy unless I know it'll be different enough to be interesting.
Agreed. You should definitely try out the Amber series.
Speaking of Terry Pratchett, I just recently read Night Watch and the man only gets better with each book. It's an awesome book (though if you haven't read any pratchett before there are a few books that should be read before this one to get to know the characters involved). The only Discworld book I've liked better is The Truth.
Bah! Early- to mid-Pratchett ownz all. Three words: The Light Fantastic.

Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:45 pm

Lord Tingeling wrote:Agreed. You should definitely try out the Amber series.
Zelazny is always one of those writers that lurks in the back of my mind. I will read his stuff some day, I just can't say when...
Bah! Early- to mid-Pratchett ownz all. Three words: The Light Fantastic.
I disagree. He's clearly become a better writer since then and the way his style has evolved suits me perfectly. The first books were more fantasy parodies while he's now become more of a satirical writer and is more writing about modern age phenomenon (though twisting them to fit into the Discworld setting).

I am a huge fan of satire...

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:47 pm

What Spider said.

Lord Tingeling

Post by Lord Tingeling » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:51 pm

I agree with you on the satire part, but wheter his improvement is for the better or the worse is open for debate. I've read his books more times than I can remember on a sunny day- his works have become more "complicated" lately, but not always better. The difference between him now and then is what he's satirical about and on how he conveys that satire.

His early and mid works tends to make parodies out of stories. His later tends to make parodies out of modern age phenomenons, as you said.

I liked Colour of Magic, I liked The Light Fantastic, they had a "beat" his later works lack. Sure, that is compensated by a lack of depth, but that's why I prefer those books right in the middle.

Witches Abroad has to be my all-time favourite.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:58 pm

I never liked the witch-stories very much, apart from Carpe Jugulum. For the big laughers, I usually pick up the ones starring Rincewind. Colour of Magic and The light Fantastic, coupled with Sourcery and Interesting Times are clearly the funniest.

However, for the more "serious" of the books, I prefer the ones with the Watch, such as The Night Watch; they're more exciting than the usual discworld books.

At this time, I have forgotten why I wanted to post this thing. Oh well.

Lord Tingeling

Post by Lord Tingeling » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:00 pm

Carpe Jugulum? That one sucked. Well, as much as a book by T.P can suck (not much).

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:02 pm

... which says a lot about the rest of the witch books 8)

Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:27 pm

Lord Tingeling wrote:Carpe Jugulum? That one sucked. Well, as much as a book by T.P can suck (not much).
No pun intended, huh?
;)

I never liked the witches much either. Apart from Lords and Ladies, that one I really loved.

The Truth is my personal favorite (as I've said), but I also love the Watch-books and the Susan-books. Though I think he should do more one-offs, along the lines of Small Gods or Moving Pictures.