MERLANCE's Campaign Play Thread

Online role playing, nerdy, not naughty
MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Re: MERLANCE's Campaign Play Thread

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:07 am

The bartender replies, "You seem nice enough, lad, but I only start tabs for locals. I'll meetcha halfway and bill it to your room, though." He pauses and takes a look at the newcomers "I didn't get a good look at em as they came in, but I don't think I recognize em. Probably here for the job that Henreich posted, though, most people dressed like, ahem, that are old friends otherwise. And by dressed like that, I mean, lookin like adventurers. Same goes for the burned man off in the corner"

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Ara turns his head with anger towards the snicker of the Gnome, he stands and walks to there table and looks them over silently.

Then he speaks

By Helm, you adventure types are always trouble. What did those men do? Occupy your "claimed" corner?

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Konrad nods his appreciation towards the bartender "The burned man is an associate of mine. Much obliged all the same, and should you ever be in need of silks or spices, I'm sure we can work out a discount." As if...

With the business with the bartender out of the way, Konrad turns his attention to the loud-mouthed man, who seems to be "cruising for a bruising", as grandfather Velos was fond of saying.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Josef turns his attention to the potential trouble. Though not certain, he's positive he caught the fellow glaring at him and Klara once or twice. Thinking he probably deserves a good thrashing and a lesson in humility Josef watches with interest, especially since he considers both sides rather obnoxious.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:39 pm

The first thing Ara notices as he goes over is that the hooded figure is wearing a mask, kind of looks like Image

He thinks it *might* be a female (spot natural 20+2) but there simply arent enough visual cues to determine.

The gnome looks up at him and says "By helm? By helm? Listen to this guy, he walks over to us and says 'by helm', can you believe it? Well, we wanted a booth, this one was close, so we politely asked the gentlemen sitting here if they would be more comfortable away from here, and by my accounting, they certainly were. Now, the only possible reason you could possibly come over here is to try to incite a confrontation. However, luckily for you, we have a policy of never fighting before we have our job, its just bad business, am I right?," as she looks at the cloaked figure who nods. "If you still feel so righteously indignated later, we can settle it then, but for now, we have business to attend to."

While standing there, you do notice one strange thing, Ara. The Armored figure is completely still, perhaps eerily so. (spot 19+2)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:00 am

Gorth, getting curious and knowing that his associate is going to do the talking anyway (he's got the prettier face of us two) tries to find a spot with a better view of events. Preferably within throwing dagger distance and not too far away from the earlier identified escape route. I'm here for a job after all, not a random brawl that attracts attention. You never know, ye olde listening skill may pick something up. Not moving out of the place if no obvious good place presents itself though. Observation and eavesdropping opportunity, not bleeding chest wounds is what he is looking.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Ara looks as bored as ever, the man clearly has problems with emotions and is simply just boring.

I Confront you since those men did not leave by free will. You are the local thugs I am sure that make a ruckus and think you own the streets, bribing the guard with your adventuring gold and make a mess with anyone who stand against you. Scaring the civilians into submission. I, a holyman of Helm, the God, the one who guarded the gates to the divine realms in the time of Troubles, stands up for the weak and the law. I simply would put forward, that you types need to act with respect to the citizen of the land that give you food and opportunity to leech upon them like maggots in a dead body. I am sure you will try to undo me or have me look like a fool. Helms watches, Helm knows.

I do not swing the Ever Watchful first, I only swing to defend, to enforce. May Helm, if he find you worthy...keep you from harm when danger crosses your path. Cause I shall not be the one who swings first. I presume you types are here for that job, I should come along to keep an eye on you thugs. It seems there is lessons to be learned how to act around the normal men and women among us, those who make so that you types have food on your table, clean rooms to sleep in and whom give their gold to you when trouble finds itself in the vicinity.

Helm blesses

Ara looks upon the bucket man (armored one) being so stiff. He almost gives them a smirk, almost.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:26 am

They just look at Ara kind of weirdly, and dont respond for aabout 20 seconds, and the gnome goes "uh, okay." (Intimidate 17-1/Diplomacy 17+2, enough to shut them up at least). They go back to their quiet waiting/sitting.

About an hour later, eight o clock or so, business begins booming, and the place becomes crowded and loud, The common tables are mostly filled, mainly with working men who came in for a drink with their buddies, but some families with kids eating a meal.

A well dressed elderly man with a large greatsword, and a young man who appears to bear no weapon, walk through the door. The old man looks around, and nods at Dietrich, then notices the two mostly empty corner booths, one with Ara, and one with the gnome, cloaked figure, and armored figure. He seems to contemplate for a minute which to sit at, then goes to Ara's booth and says "Do you mind if we have a seat here, sir? I expect to be doing some business with a number of people, and since the rest of the bar is full, and this is a larger table, I anticipate needing it. And since you have the look of a man who gets things done, I expect you may well be one of those people I have mentioned. Oh, and where are my manners, I am Heinrich Smith," as he gives a courteous bow.

Josef, despite being a fair distance away at the bar, notices the man come in and makes a point of trying to hear what he says (natural 20 listen check, heard the whole thing).

Konrad didn't notice him come in (5+5) or hear what he said (3+5), but Dietrich makes sure to come over to you while filling drinks and says "Heinrich just came in, hes talking to that bored man in the corner booth there"

Gorth sees him come in (11+6) but doesn't hear him with Ara (3+6).

The three in the other booth don't seem to notice him yet.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Ara at first seem suprised but happy to hear people with manners enter, he was simply mourning old military friends, as the two men comes to sit he nods and But of course, do sit! Where there is room, nothing else but a kind heart is needed. Do sit. Ara stands to bow himself to them I am Aradeius Fharghalan, one of Helms followers. I do have considered to join, that I have. I believe It is my duty to come along, It is my duty to protect and defend. But you may fill me in on this thing you need help with, Mister Smith Aras voice is the same dull tone but he treats Mister Smith and companion with utter respect, which he done to everyone. Holding doors for women, supporting the depressed downy people when he finds it needed to throw the old drunkards a kind word. But he do show interest in this work mister Smith bring along with him. I do also believe you find many adventurey types in here who will fit perfectly for any kind of assignment He proclaims before awaiting for Smith to fill in.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:36 pm

With the potential employer having arrived, Josef, with a smile, tells Klara that he has enjoyed her company, he hopes that she stays safe and that he hopes to see her again. He then turns his attention to Heinrich Smith.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:25 am

Konrad... as blind as his mule. Time to draw his attention towards the business negotiations. Preferably while there are still job openings. Gorth discreetly tosses a pebble at Konrad, trying to get him to look in the direction of the old guy with the big blade. Move damn you.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Mr Smith and his companion, who he introduces as his son Kurt, have a seat with Ara. After Josef, Gorth, and Konrad joins them he says "I am waiting on one more person to arrive, I am surprised he is not here already," as he cranes his neck a bit to have another look around the bar. "I know I set the meeting time for eight, but I hope you would understand if we wait for him for a bit, I am sure he will be here shortly," he smirks and continues, "you would know him if you saw him, hes quite... hard to miss," as he gently elbows Kurt, who rolls his eyes.

A minute or so later, noticing three people get up from around the bar and going towards Ara, the armored figure, the gnome, and the masked and cloaked person come over to the table.

Konrad notice something isn't quite right about the way the armored figure moves (17+5 spot), it doesnt seem natural.

Josef notice that Mr Smith seems a bit surprised seeing the armored figure (sense motive 18+0)

Upon their arrival, as the gnome is about to speak, Mr Smith says to the masked person "I trust your *companion* was willing? Under normal circumstance I would reject your assistance on principle, but I need as many able hands as possible. Please, go on, I am sorry for interrupting."

The gnome seems a bit taken aback at Heinrich's words but speaks "I take it you are Mr Smith? Well, my companion and I saw the advertisement you had left near the gate. I am Trudy Gigglelaughter, these are my associates Anne and Lig" though she makes no effort to distinguish which is Anne and which is Lig, "may we have a seat?" to which Mr Smith nods the affirmative.

The booth seats nine people, and there are now nine of you sitting there. I lack artistry to make any picture of where you are sitting but my best guess is something like this
_________
---------------|
----4-5-6---|
---3XXXX7---|
--2XXXXX8--|
--1XXXXX9--|
- 10|
X= table, |=the wall, --is the back of your seat, _=wall too

Kurt sits in 1 and won't move from that spot, Henreich is 2. Trudy and the masked figure sit next to each other most likely in 8 and 9, the armored figure stands at 10 outside the table

Pick your seats.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:08 am

Gorth sits down on chair number 4. Not really liking having his back pointing away from the wall, but not wanting be "squeezed in" either. Besides, he want's to have a look at the strangers while Konrad does his talking.

Pondering on the nature of the armored figure, too small to be a golem and not smelly enough to be an animated corpse?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Sliding in to seat 6 (assuming Konrad takes 5, next to Gorth) Josef nods to the group of three that Ara confronted, nods to the others and verbally greets Heinrich.

MERLANCE

Post by MERLANCE » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Gorth, you notice the aforementioned mask on the cloaked person but otherwise don't notice much else about him/her/it (Spot 14+6).

You could take 20 on this check but it would involve staring at them for two minutes, though you could try to disguise it with an opposed bluff (at -3 because of your lack of charisma) vs their sense motive. You would be treated as having rolled a 20+6.

(Taking 20 means trying to do something over and over til you get it right, but it takes 20 times as long, cant be used under stressful circumstances)

Your knowledge of golems (arcana) and the undead (religion) are limited as you have no training in those subjects (no skill points spent). You cant get information higher than DC 10 information on them.

Religion 8+3=10 Undead are necromantically animated creatures. They range from skeletons and zombies to vampires or worse. Zombies would carry the stench of rotting flesh, vampires may, skeletons usually won't.

Arcana 14+3=10 Golems are artificially created creatures made by magic. Kind of walking statues, no reason someone couldnt craft a smaller one.