Random events of the day

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: Random events of the day

Post by Gorth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 am

Gorth wrote:Managed to catch a cold. Very unlike the ones I usually get once or twice a year, which is normally a bit of a headache and a nose that runs like the Niagara falls.
Funny I should mentioned it, as I actually got one of those now... Some things in the Universe is reliable. Death, taxes and the common cold :roll:

Spent yesterday reinstalling Windows 7 (for the first time in more than 2 years) and realised that I didn't have a backup after all of my current, almost finished, game of FO:MV :x

Ah well, back to watching Steam do it's thing. About as fun as an intense game of Progress Quest.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:41 am

finally killed a sore throat :D
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:49 pm

My first weekend alone in five and a half years is coming to a close. I've kept myself distracted during the days but the nights, just as I'm going to sleep and the mornings when I first wake up are not pleasant. Knowing the phone isn't going to ring but hoping it does, checking for missed calls even though I know there aren't any. I've slept more than usual at night but heartache and sorrow will do that to you. I remember Choyrt's old forum signature when he and Snookem's divorced: "Depression keeps me well rested". I miss my angel puppy and the love of my life and it's my fault.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:31 am

You know I would love to say something comforting or encouraging here, but lets face it, it would ring hollow. Part because I'm no good at it and part because I can't relate to it (making it all the more hypocritical if I tried).

A 'hope things work out for you in the end' is probably the best I can offer :)
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:51 pm

I've got far too much time on my hands. Looking for work isn't easy. There are only so many jobs posted each day and of course, only so many of those that I'm qualified for and once you apply for them there's nothing else to fill the day with. Hopefully I've got something coming though. I had a good interview last week and I'll know by Wednesday if I got it. Right now I've got all the time in the world but nothing to do with it. My heart just isn't in finishing off the ezine although I did get the issue with the forums resolved and even upgraded the boards the other day. So that's two positives.

It's a nice day out today for November. I actually wish it wasn't. The warm air and sunshine just make me wish I was home and we were taking our little puppy out for a walk. I really hope I get this job. I need the money and I need some purpose.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Today was rather disappointing. I found out I didn't get a job that I'd have very much enjoyed in a bookstore. The interview went well, at least from my perspective, and after the interview last week I received an update that there were other interviews scheduled and I'd receive an answer one way or the other by today (and that's quite rare with employers these days). Just a little while ago I received a phone call letting me know I didn't get the position. It could have been anything: Didn't present myself as well as I'd hoped or that I use public transit as I don't have a car and they asked if I'd be able to work until midnight on occasion or even that it was a part-time opening and they felt that someone my age would leave at the first opportunity of full-time employment elsewhere. I do appreciate that they let me know regardless but it's still rather saddening.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Waiting for the phone to ring is... many things, none of them particularly pleasant.

I'm supposed to have a job starting soon. At the interview I was told that no one else was being interviewed, that I was the only one called and that my references just need to be checked. That's a positive. And of course these things take time. Employers never feel the sense of urgency and anticipation the job seeker feels while waiting for that "You're hired" call. I once went two months between the first interview and the start date for one job.

And of course everyday my thoughts turn to a particular person and those thoughts are filled with longing.

Reading and watching DVDs do little to fill the void that comes from missing someone. And one can only play so many games of Free Cell or Solitaire before becoming bored.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Hows it going with that job?

Can you still access MSN? Lets talk with mic some day heh?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Nothing yet. The interview was on the 15th. Since it was so positive, the manager making a point of telling me I was the only one he was interviewing and stating all but directly that the job was mine, he just had to check my references (which of course are good) I stopped looking elsewhere. He said he'd hoped to get to my references and that he'd call me by the 23rd (a Friday). When he didn't I called on the 26th (a Monday) and he wasn't there so I called on the 27th and reached him.

Apparently the company has bought several other locations and as he's one of the more experienced managers he's been travelling to the new stores, all across the province, helping them switch over to the new systems/methods.

So... I continue to to wait. But it's getting very tight financially. I'm really, really hoping I start soon. And it's frustrating because before this one, in late October, a different place told me they'd hire me, bring me in to work for a few weeks and see if it was a fit, and they never did. I followed up with them after the interview and was told everything was still good but then nothing. I really hope this time is different.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Bloody damn annoying that! Happended me to! Bit similar. Was 50% my fault in that case although.

Damn, exam now. Like I lock down when I feel the mountain is to high to climb when I should just bring out another hatchet and destroy that mountain. :eyebrow:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:21 pm

I only half understand what you're saying about mountains. I'll assume you're simply saying it's exam time and exams are stressful.

As for my situation, it's getting tough. Every time my phone rings I'm hoping it's an employer telling me I've got a job but it's my creditors asking why I've missed my bill payments for a month.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Yeah big asas exam. But I guess I make it.

fudge man :/ No family to help you out? :S

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:26 pm

I guess after all these years you don't remember. I have no family. Blerina and our puppy were my family. Now we're apart it's just me.

Still no job. It's been another week and I haven't heard back about the job I was essentially assured off three weeks ago. I've obviously started looking for others while still hoping it'll happen but things aren't looking good. Especially with the holidays approaching fast.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Almost everyone except for really old people who never got kids have somekind of relative or uncle or friends father or mother counting as a extra parent. You have non of those? At all? Sorry If I am curious! I just find it unbelievable there is not a single person you count as being so close they could be family and would be there for you even if you murdered someone in cold blood.

Call them back?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Marcus, it's not that hard to believe. There are many, many people in this world with no family. What do you think orphans are? Children with no family.

And yes, I will be giving the manager another call early next week. I need a job and this one would be pretty much perfect since it's in easy walking distance.

From the local newspaper:
The London area jobless rate fell to 8.5% last month from 8.7% in October says the latest report from Statistics Canada.

StatsCan said the drop was mainly due to a drop in the labour force which fell by 1,900 in London-St Thomas area.

The actual number of people with jobs fell by 1,300.
Stats are so misleading. And of course, politicians will spin it as a positive, completely ignoring the reality when you read past the first line. The reality is that in this city, 1300 more people became unemployed. You know it's bad when a new wal-Mart opened here last month, receiving 2500 applications for only 105 jobs.