Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 910 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random news Roundup
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:18 pm 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
That is true on Trump to be honest.

And I do not feel sorry at all for the Arabs. They had their chances but had to fudge it all up. The whole Arab Invasion of Israel? Unneeded. They shown in retrospect they give no fucks about the so called Palestinian people. Beside that they are arrogant as fudge, being the "founders" of a religion and having their oil. If their rich would care for the Arab world, it would not have been the shit hole it is now. But they rather drive the US to help them bomb their enemies.

What the Arab world need is to drop their religion, reinvestment of money into their own country and a long term peace. But it is hard since the pan-arabism died, along with clan warfare and Religious groups who cannot go exist. Which brings in other parts of the world to dip their shit into it since they cannot even show a united front to enemies. Last time the Arabs was united was back in the 600 to 700, After that they slowly declined and had slave armies (See Turkish people) and such overthrow the regimes over and over until the Ottomans ended up as the super power until the 1900's. Their own slave armies often took control. Ottomans is one of those examples which broke the pattern and held a firm hand over they collapsed and the Arab areas became free again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:13 pm 
Editor

I'm not so certain there's a chance of nuclear war between the US and Russia. A state like North Korean, sure, but I think the "big boys" know better.

I doubt America under Trump will be as bad as some fear. He immediately backtracked on jailing Clinton for example. Bad, yes, but not as bad as it could be.

As for the Arab world, I've little sympathy at all. For the innocents, yes. For the enlightened that don't cling to the idiocy of religion, yes. Collectively, they could rise above but they chose not to.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:22 pm 

Joseph wrote:
I'm not so certain there's a chance of nuclear war between the US and Russia. A state like North Korean, sure, but I think the "big boys" know better.

I doubt America under Trump will be as bad as some fear. He immediately backtracked on jailing Clinton for example. Bad, yes, but not as bad as it could be.

As for the Arab world, I've little sympathy at all. For the innocents, yes. For the enlightened that don't cling to the idiocy of religion, yes. Collectively, they could rise above but they chose not to.

I think it won't be much worse than it was under Obama. They are still feeling the problems from the horribly dumb worse under the Bush Adminstration.

They could rise yeah, but they as of yet let religion hold them down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:31 pm 

Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise
Title: Token Archer Fan
I agree that a Trump administration will not be as bad as most people claim, despite having full support of congress, the dude is incredibly inconsistent now and backing off of a lot of what he promised. In other words, Trump realizes he's not running a business or kingdom.

And it's not just the religion in the Arab world that has them messed up. If all of the middle east dropped Islam now and stuck with it, they would still be stuck with a lot of inbred people and marriages. I don't know the numbers for each country but I know on the low end it's like 20%. I didn't want to point this out but the more I thought about it, I really think it needed to be said.

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:38 am 
Editor

I was unaware that inbreeding was that high there. Arranged marriages, forced for that matter, we all know about but I didn't know about inbreeding. I know they're probably not up on European history but even if they haven't heard of the Hapsburg family surely they're seen the British "royalty". And I use quotations because, well, I don't do monarchies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:13 pm 

Joseph wrote:
I was unaware that inbreeding was that high there. Arranged marriages, forced for that matter, we all know about but I didn't know about inbreeding. I know they're probably not up on European history but even if they haven't heard of the Hapsburg family surely they're seen the British "royalty". And I use quotations because, well, I don't do monarchies.

Yeah it's usually uncle-niece or first cousin marriages. If you think about the restrictions women have in those countries it's kinda terrifying since women there can only hang around with male relatives most of the time so they are solely exposed to men related to them and therefore they probably are conditioned to see them sexually as they have no outlet for it otherwise.

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

-Rachel Duncan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:52 am 

Cousin marriage fucks you up in the long run. They been keen on that shit.

Inbreeding was probably not that common at all in the European central areas. Sister fucking is not a cultural thing here, nor is cousin fucking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:28 pm 

Marcus wrote:
Cousin marriage fucks you up in the long run.

No, it doesn't, or, well, not necessarily, because there are many other factors to consider as well. There's a reason real incest is banned wildly around the world while even first cousin marriages are legal in many of them, even in the "Western" world (and in the US for that matter, depending on the state).

In fact, actually, cousin marriages have a higher fertility rate than non-related ones and only a 1% to 2% increased chance of birth defects from consanguinity.

Just to put that into perspective - that is the same increased chance of having a birth defect that women in their late thirties have. So if you would want to ban first cousin marriages based on the chance for unfit offspring you'd have to legislate women becoming pregnant after 35 just as well.

Sounds ridiculous? Yeah, because it is, and it doesn't even factor in other genetic issues like drift or having only a small group of people as ancestors, like Amish or fundamentalist Mormons or say the Dutch Afrikaner settlers in South Africa where two randomly picked, apparently non-related people would have a much higher chance for producing offspring with birth defects than first or second cousins out of a larger population would have because they all go back to the same couple hundred founders (or in the case of the funamenalist Mormons only two, phew).

It's also noticable in those populations because they have a much higher incidence of rare genetic disease.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:51 pm 
Editor

I never new cultural genetics and inbreeding were a passion of yours. Should we ask why? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:10 pm 

Joseph wrote:
I never new cultural genetics and inbreeding were a passion of yours. Should we ask why? ;)

It's an interest of mine as well and honestly it's because I like monarchs in history (and John A MacDonald for you Canadians who married his cousin). And in the middle east it's not just cousin marriage but also avunculate marriage as well (I am not good enough at genetics nor probability to know how that affects defects though). But I do know that the Habsburgs of Spain in particular incest wasn't actually because to "keep the bloodline pure" which is slowly becoming either a myth or just an over simplification of why nobility did it in my mind. It was because they didn't want their land's to be claimed by families from other countries.

-Rachel Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:10 pm 

Joseph wrote:

All my cousins are male. Nice try though. :haha:

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:47 pm 

Well there is studies showing that many "cousin marriage" countries have *i have potty mouth* up genetics, as of what I seen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:10 pm 

So Sweden is getting a lot of lights thrown at it these days. Trump speak big words but he is also not wrong. The Swedish government, media and the damn rich people want to joke about the fat merchantman who cried wolf a bit to much but they themself are trying to just bounce back the attention so that no one sees the mess they made in Sweden.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:31 pm 
Editor

Sigh.. the worlds has gone to hell. I can fix it. I know how but I'd have to sell my soul to get in to power.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:01 pm 

As nihilistic as it sounds: "Rome is burning so we might as well fiddle."

-Rachel Duncan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 910 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next