Random rant of the day

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Locked
User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 am

Like I said, we're a flawed species and a PA scenario will, in general, bring out the worst in people. Sure, there will be pockets of compassion where people still hold on to our more noble virtues, but for the most part people will look out only for themselves and maybe those they care about. I'be met my share of idiot professors that have no clue about the way the world works beyond what they read in text books... which are written by other idiot professors. The cycle repeats... ;)

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Joseph wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 am
Like I said, we're a flawed species and a PA scenario will, in general, bring out the worst in people. Sure, there will be pockets of compassion where people still hold on to our more noble virtues, but for the most part people will look out only for themselves and maybe those they care about. I'be met my share of idiot professors that have no clue about the way the world works beyond what they read in text books... which are written by other idiot professors. The cycle repeats... ;)
Yes, it is part of the whole naive "We are all the same, worth the same". No we are not. We save friends and family over strangers, we feed family and friends over strangers. And in the long run, we sure won't freaking see Human filth who maim, murder and rape! As equals. :eyebrow:

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:29 am

Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:52 pm
Joseph wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 am
Like I said, we're a flawed species and a PA scenario will, in general, bring out the worst in people. Sure, there will be pockets of compassion where people still hold on to our more noble virtues, but for the most part people will look out only for themselves and maybe those they care about. I'be met my share of idiot professors that have no clue about the way the world works beyond what they read in text books... which are written by other idiot professors. The cycle repeats... ;)
Yes, it is part of the whole naive "We are all the same, worth the same". No we are not. We save friends and family over strangers, we feed family and friends over strangers. And in the long run, we sure won't freaking see Human filth who maim, murder and rape! As equals. :eyebrow:
I wouldn't call that sentiment naive so much as idealistic. But then that subject opens the entire discussion on how you decide what the worth of any one life is and what criteria you judge by. Just confining the discussion to a post-apocalyptic scenario you can only look out for your own and occasionally try to help others because, despite our fundamental flaws as a species, we also have inherently good qualities as well, compassion being one of them.

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:42 am

Joseph wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:29 am
Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:52 pm
Joseph wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 am
Like I said, we're a flawed species and a PA scenario will, in general, bring out the worst in people. Sure, there will be pockets of compassion where people still hold on to our more noble virtues, but for the most part people will look out only for themselves and maybe those they care about. I'be met my share of idiot professors that have no clue about the way the world works beyond what they read in text books... which are written by other idiot professors. The cycle repeats... ;)
Yes, it is part of the whole naive "We are all the same, worth the same". No we are not. We save friends and family over strangers, we feed family and friends over strangers. And in the long run, we sure won't freaking see Human filth who maim, murder and rape! As equals. :eyebrow:
I wouldn't call that sentiment naive so much as idealistic. But then that subject opens the entire discussion on how you decide what the worth of any one life is and what criteria you judge by. Just confining the discussion to a post-apocalyptic scenario you can only look out for your own and occasionally try to help others because, despite our fundamental flaws as a species, we also have inherently good qualities as well, compassion being one of them.
I don't want to linger to deep, but I see a lot of Humans as inherently evil. This is also seen when chaos breaks out. Majority will loot, pillage and abuse the lack of laws and this is why Humanity had religion and violence monopoly for the state. Since Humans when not contained and control become wild beasts. There is those you speak of but way to many to a way to high percentage become horrible monsters as there is nothing to control them no more. Said evil just varies. A good raising will counter act that inherent evil but some show their true sides in those scenarios, like the riots in LA or London when people saw a chance to loot, it do not need to be a Post Apoc event. Compassion is easy to show while you have something to back it up with, but when society collapses around you it will be much harder.

I would be sure to save you guys ahead of some neighbourhood PhP forum that talks about cricket or My Little Pony if we ever was on a cruise with PhP forums having a odd forum convention :P

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:03 am

Marcus wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:42 am
Joseph wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:29 am
Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:52 pm


Yes, it is part of the whole naive "We are all the same, worth the same". No we are not. We save friends and family over strangers, we feed family and friends over strangers. And in the long run, we sure won't freaking see Human filth who maim, murder and rape! As equals. :eyebrow:
I wouldn't call that sentiment naive so much as idealistic. But then that subject opens the entire discussion on how you decide what the worth of any one life is and what criteria you judge by. Just confining the discussion to a post-apocalyptic scenario you can only look out for your own and occasionally try to help others because, despite our fundamental flaws as a species, we also have inherently good qualities as well, compassion being one of them.
I don't want to linger to deep, but I see a lot of Humans as inherently evil. This is also seen when chaos breaks out. Majority will loot, pillage and abuse the lack of laws and this is why Humanity had religion and violence monopoly for the state. Since Humans when not contained and control become wild beasts. There is those you speak of but way to many to a way to high percentage become horrible monsters as there is nothing to control them no more. Said evil just varies. A good raising will counter act that inherent evil but some show their true sides in those scenarios, like the riots in LA or London when people saw a chance to loot, it do not need to be a Post Apoc event. Compassion is easy to show while you have something to back it up with, but when society collapses around you it will be much harder.

I would be sure to save you guys ahead of some neighbourhood PhP forum that talks about cricket or My Little Pony if we ever was on a cruise with PhP forums having a odd forum convention :P

Oh man... If I`m ever on a cruise for forum conventions my life must already be over and I`m in some really bizarre afterlife.

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:48 pm

Haha :D Yeah that be a really WEIRD concention!

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:50 pm

Man, people are annoying sometimes.

I posed the question, on one of the musician/gear forums I'm on, of what my next guitar should be. I asked for opinions on tone, build quality, that sort of thing. Not one reply has answered the questions. Nope. Not one. Ask specific questions, get random, unasked for answers and advice. Pfft. What is it with people?

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:42 pm

People are weirdos :P

Got issues with an eye and headaches...fudge

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 am

Yeah, people are great with going of topic or giving completely unasked for opinions.

"So, I've narrowed it down to a Ford or GM"

"No way dude... you should totally get a motorcycle. They're the bestest!"

Anyhow, sorry about your health. You always seem to have a new issue. Have you considered being a lab rat? don't know what the pay is like but maybe you get free room and board? ;)

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Hah! who knows, gonna call the eye clinic tomorrow and ask em!

My health is a mess, I think one thing leads to another.

User avatar
Gorth
Patron
Patron
Posts: 5150
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Australia

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Joseph wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 am
Yeah, people are great with going of topic or giving completely unasked for opinions.
It's OFF topic! (Grammar Nazi in action and no, you didn't ask for that opinion) :mrgreen:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

User avatar
Gorth
Patron
Patron
Posts: 5150
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Australia

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:51 pm

On topic, I remember that there were volunteers around during my university years. They would receive a small pay for participating in experiments for the medico department (people working with engineering aimed at the various gadgets used in the health care industry). It would require things like staying awake all night in a lab to have your biometrics measured and things like that.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:49 am

Not to sure about that! xD

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:28 am

Marcus, with everything you've said over the years about your health, you could probably make some money if you don't mind wires and probes and such. Some of the doctors and nurses and mad scientists might even be cute? Who knows? ;)

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:59 pm

No thanks! :D Had a cute doctor last autumn although! But when she checks your prostate it's a bit weird.

But hey, internal bleeding in an eye, minor but they want to check on it a bit more and do some tests.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests